Monday, January 21, 2013
ABC Pulls Don't Trust the B---- from Tuesdays?; Ratings Highlights for Thursday FX Comedy Season Premieres
Late on Friday, ABC quietly pulled the next all-new episode of Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 scheduled to air Tuesday, Jan. 29 at 9:30pm. Instead, ABC has opted to air a second all-new episode of Happy Endings, which is faring a bit better in the ratings. Happy Endings will be all-new and back-to-back on that night (yeah buoy!). After that, ABC already had both series preempted for Tuesday, Feb. 5 and Tuesday, Feb. 12, as on Feb. 5 they have a two-hour special for The Bachelor and on Feb. 12 President Obama has his annual State of the Union Address live at 9pm ET (ABC will air an encore of Modern Family that night at 10:30pm following the address). And if you're wondering, this Tuesday (Jan. 22) ABC has the two-hour premiere of The Taste from 8-10pm, which was already scheduled to preempt the comedies.
So anyway, after Jan. 29, the next possible date the Tuesday ABC comedies could return is Tuesday, Feb. 19. But we don't think Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 will return. Why? Well, after the two Jan. 29 episodes of Happy Endings air, the comedy would have 10 episodes left for the rest of the season. And low and behold, airing between Feb. 19 to March 19 (which is the last possible date for them to air, since Dancing with the Stars returns the next week) is 5 weeks. Do a little math and you can place all 10 remaining episodes of Happy Endings during those five weeks and double pump them back-to-back from 9-10pm. Hence, this means Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 wouldn't be on the Tuesday line-up and is pulled. While we love both comedies, frankly Happy Endings is doing better in the ratings and has more of an upside (syndication for one). That's our speculation, but you heard it here first that Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 is likely pulled on Tuesdays. If that is the case, then the sitcom has eight episodes left to air, as the series had a 13 episode order this season, plus the six remaining first season episode for a total of 19 this season (and only 11 have aired so far). Stay with us for further updates and we hope we get to see these remaining episodes of Don't Trust the B----, trust me!
FX's Thursdays comedies returned last week to some good numbers! Competing against tough competition on broadcast and cable, Anger Management's "Back-90" episode order got off to a fine start. The 9PM telecast notched 903,000 Adults 18-49 and 1.82 million total viewers, while the 9:30PM telecast increased +10% in Adults 18-49 to 994,000 while garnering 1.66 million total viewers. In addition, the season 4 premiere of Archer at 10PM delivered stellar results, repping the series' most-watched telecast ever in Adults and Men 18-49 (1.28 Million and 991,000, respectively) and Adults and Men 18-34 (882,000 and 712,000, respectively) and ranking as the #1 most-watched entertainment program last night in basic cable among both M18-49 and M18-34. Additionally, Archer ranked #1 in its time period outright [inclusive of broadcast] in both M18-49 and M18-34. Among Total Viewers (1.61 million), Archer was its second most-watched telecast ever behind only the series premiere [which had the b'cast premiere of The Simpsons Movie as its lead-in]. Then, the series premiere episode of the critically acclaimed comedy Legit at 10:30PM delivered 650,000 Total Viewers, 461,000 Adults 18-49, and 351,000 Men 18-49. The first run plus its encore airing (12:30 AM) combined to deliver 861,000 Total Viewers and 591,000 Adults 18-49.
And in late night, the return of Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell at 11:00PM outdelivered its most recent run average (7 episode which ended in mid-December) by +27% and repped the 4th most-watched telecast in Adults 18-49 out of the 14 telecasts to date. It delivered 331,000 Total Viewers and 261,000 Adults 18-49. Totally Biased climbed +27% over its Season 1B average in Adults 18-49 (10/11-11/29/12) in P18-49 (246,000 vs. 193,000), driven by a +50% jump in Men 18-49.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, April 28
Stuck in the Middle - "Stuck with a Boy Genius" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Harley, Rachel, Georgie and Ethan attend their school spring formal dance, while Lewie and Beast camp out at home in the backyard.
Andi Mack - "It's Not About You" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Andi's frustration boils over when she discovers that Buffy has secretly been confiding in Bex instead of her; Cyrus double-dates with Jonah Beck, Amber and her friend Iris.
Friday, April 28
- Gabourey Sidibe (The Big C) - Watch Gabourey on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Britt Robertson (Girlboss) - Britt is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Anna Baryshnikov (Superior Donuts) - Anna is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened), Joely Fisher (Ellen/'Til Death), Clea Lewis (Ellen/Flying Blind) and David Anthony Higgins (Ellen/Malcolm in the Middle/Big Time Rush) - The Ellen DeGeneres Show celebrates the 20th Anniversary of the Ellen coming out episode, so check your local listings.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec talks about Donald Trump, too much alcohol and the thing that saved his life on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Accidentally on Purpose/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She also dishes about Imaginary Mary on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Transparent/Free Agents) - Kathryn is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.