Monday, January 21, 2013
ABC Pulls Don't Trust the B---- from Tuesdays?; Ratings Highlights for Thursday FX Comedy Season Premieres
Late on Friday, ABC quietly pulled the next all-new episode of Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 scheduled to air Tuesday, Jan. 29 at 9:30pm. Instead, ABC has opted to air a second all-new episode of Happy Endings, which is faring a bit better in the ratings. Happy Endings will be all-new and back-to-back on that night (yeah buoy!). After that, ABC already had both series preempted for Tuesday, Feb. 5 and Tuesday, Feb. 12, as on Feb. 5 they have a two-hour special for The Bachelor and on Feb. 12 President Obama has his annual State of the Union Address live at 9pm ET (ABC will air an encore of Modern Family that night at 10:30pm following the address). And if you're wondering, this Tuesday (Jan. 22) ABC has the two-hour premiere of The Taste from 8-10pm, which was already scheduled to preempt the comedies.
So anyway, after Jan. 29, the next possible date the Tuesday ABC comedies could return is Tuesday, Feb. 19. But we don't think Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 will return. Why? Well, after the two Jan. 29 episodes of Happy Endings air, the comedy would have 10 episodes left for the rest of the season. And low and behold, airing between Feb. 19 to March 19 (which is the last possible date for them to air, since Dancing with the Stars returns the next week) is 5 weeks. Do a little math and you can place all 10 remaining episodes of Happy Endings during those five weeks and double pump them back-to-back from 9-10pm. Hence, this means Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 wouldn't be on the Tuesday line-up and is pulled. While we love both comedies, frankly Happy Endings is doing better in the ratings and has more of an upside (syndication for one). That's our speculation, but you heard it here first that Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 is likely pulled on Tuesdays. If that is the case, then the sitcom has eight episodes left to air, as the series had a 13 episode order this season, plus the six remaining first season episode for a total of 19 this season (and only 11 have aired so far). Stay with us for further updates and we hope we get to see these remaining episodes of Don't Trust the B----, trust me!
FX's Thursdays comedies returned last week to some good numbers! Competing against tough competition on broadcast and cable, Anger Management's "Back-90" episode order got off to a fine start. The 9PM telecast notched 903,000 Adults 18-49 and 1.82 million total viewers, while the 9:30PM telecast increased +10% in Adults 18-49 to 994,000 while garnering 1.66 million total viewers. In addition, the season 4 premiere of Archer at 10PM delivered stellar results, repping the series' most-watched telecast ever in Adults and Men 18-49 (1.28 Million and 991,000, respectively) and Adults and Men 18-34 (882,000 and 712,000, respectively) and ranking as the #1 most-watched entertainment program last night in basic cable among both M18-49 and M18-34. Additionally, Archer ranked #1 in its time period outright [inclusive of broadcast] in both M18-49 and M18-34. Among Total Viewers (1.61 million), Archer was its second most-watched telecast ever behind only the series premiere [which had the b'cast premiere of The Simpsons Movie as its lead-in]. Then, the series premiere episode of the critically acclaimed comedy Legit at 10:30PM delivered 650,000 Total Viewers, 461,000 Adults 18-49, and 351,000 Men 18-49. The first run plus its encore airing (12:30 AM) combined to deliver 861,000 Total Viewers and 591,000 Adults 18-49.
And in late night, the return of Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell at 11:00PM outdelivered its most recent run average (7 episode which ended in mid-December) by +27% and repped the 4th most-watched telecast in Adults 18-49 out of the 14 telecasts to date. It delivered 331,000 Total Viewers and 261,000 Adults 18-49. Totally Biased climbed +27% over its Season 1B average in Adults 18-49 (10/11-11/29/12) in P18-49 (246,000 vs. 193,000), driven by a +50% jump in Men 18-49.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, February 22
The Goldbergs - "So Swayze It's Crazy" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Adam sees his friend on television, he asks Beverly for her help to become an actor, so Beverly enlists his friend’s mom Edie, who is a kid talent agent in town. Unfortunately, Edie insists Adam can only get “nerd” roles, so Beverly goes on a quest to make Adam a teenage heartthrob. Meanwhile, Barry decides to embrace the punk lifestyle, and Murray attempts to become more involved in Erica’s life, but it backfires.
Speechless - "O-S-- OSCAR P-A-- PARTY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the Dimeos throw their annual Oscar party with other special-needs families, Maya feels threatened by new mom Becca, who seems a little too perfect. Meanwhile, Jimmy encourages the fathers at the party to let loose while Ray tries to impress a girl by pretending to be someone he is not.
Modern Family - "Heavy Is the Head" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Despite their lofty hopes, Phil and Jay’s property investment might turn out to be a bust, forcing Phil to rethink his original dream. Meanwhile, Cam lands in the hospital due to a head injury and refuses to have an MRI thanks to a traumatic incident with a well when he was a child. Determined to finally impress Claire and keep her from re-gifting her birthday present, Gloria surprises her with a day of luxury at the office. However, after Claire had to implement some rather harsh budget cuts at work, a massage at her desk may not be sending the right message.
black-ish - "One Angry Man" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre is forced to participate in jury duty after Junior responds to the summons that was thrown away. The case is supposed to be open and shut, but when Dre sees that the defendant is a young African American, he feels a civic responsibility to give him a fair trial. Meanwhile, Bow decides to let the kids swear in the house since they are more open with her that way, but she and Ruby soon regret the decision.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Tends Bar" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It's Valentine's Day and Paddy's is packed with customers. Dennis implores the gang to do one day of actual work but everyone else is distracted by a mystery crate Cricket spotted in the alley. Eventually, the gang becomes convinced Dennis really wants them to work on their relationships and everyone shares their grievances without much resolution.
Man Seeking Woman - "Dolphin" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
When her mom becomes obsessed with Josh's wedding, Liz seeks out her estranged father (Peter Gallagher).
Schitt's Creek - "General Store" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
David comes up with a new business venture; Alexis adjusts to her first day of school.
Wednesday, February 22
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and George Clooney (The Facts of Life/Roseanne) - Tom and George are guests on a repeat of the 2012 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ariana Grande (Sam & Cat) - Ariana drops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Kelly is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly)- Billy appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Ultimate Beastmaster on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2pm.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Matt Shively (The Real O'Neals/True Jackson, VP) - Matt is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Justin Bartha (The New Normal) - Justin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Will talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette dishes about the new season of SuperMansion on Crackle on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Mike Epps (Uncle Buck/Survivor's Remorse) - Mike is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Eva Longoria (Telenovela) - Eva chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.