Monday, January 21, 2013
ABC Pulls Don't Trust the B---- from Tuesdays?; Ratings Highlights for Thursday FX Comedy Season Premieres
Late on Friday, ABC quietly pulled the next all-new episode of Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 scheduled to air Tuesday, Jan. 29 at 9:30pm. Instead, ABC has opted to air a second all-new episode of Happy Endings, which is faring a bit better in the ratings. Happy Endings will be all-new and back-to-back on that night (yeah buoy!). After that, ABC already had both series preempted for Tuesday, Feb. 5 and Tuesday, Feb. 12, as on Feb. 5 they have a two-hour special for The Bachelor and on Feb. 12 President Obama has his annual State of the Union Address live at 9pm ET (ABC will air an encore of Modern Family that night at 10:30pm following the address). And if you're wondering, this Tuesday (Jan. 22) ABC has the two-hour premiere of The Taste from 8-10pm, which was already scheduled to preempt the comedies.
So anyway, after Jan. 29, the next possible date the Tuesday ABC comedies could return is Tuesday, Feb. 19. But we don't think Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 will return. Why? Well, after the two Jan. 29 episodes of Happy Endings air, the comedy would have 10 episodes left for the rest of the season. And low and behold, airing between Feb. 19 to March 19 (which is the last possible date for them to air, since Dancing with the Stars returns the next week) is 5 weeks. Do a little math and you can place all 10 remaining episodes of Happy Endings during those five weeks and double pump them back-to-back from 9-10pm. Hence, this means Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 wouldn't be on the Tuesday line-up and is pulled. While we love both comedies, frankly Happy Endings is doing better in the ratings and has more of an upside (syndication for one). That's our speculation, but you heard it here first that Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 is likely pulled on Tuesdays. If that is the case, then the sitcom has eight episodes left to air, as the series had a 13 episode order this season, plus the six remaining first season episode for a total of 19 this season (and only 11 have aired so far). Stay with us for further updates and we hope we get to see these remaining episodes of Don't Trust the B----, trust me!
FX's Thursdays comedies returned last week to some good numbers! Competing against tough competition on broadcast and cable, Anger Management's "Back-90" episode order got off to a fine start. The 9PM telecast notched 903,000 Adults 18-49 and 1.82 million total viewers, while the 9:30PM telecast increased +10% in Adults 18-49 to 994,000 while garnering 1.66 million total viewers. In addition, the season 4 premiere of Archer at 10PM delivered stellar results, repping the series' most-watched telecast ever in Adults and Men 18-49 (1.28 Million and 991,000, respectively) and Adults and Men 18-34 (882,000 and 712,000, respectively) and ranking as the #1 most-watched entertainment program last night in basic cable among both M18-49 and M18-34. Additionally, Archer ranked #1 in its time period outright [inclusive of broadcast] in both M18-49 and M18-34. Among Total Viewers (1.61 million), Archer was its second most-watched telecast ever behind only the series premiere [which had the b'cast premiere of The Simpsons Movie as its lead-in]. Then, the series premiere episode of the critically acclaimed comedy Legit at 10:30PM delivered 650,000 Total Viewers, 461,000 Adults 18-49, and 351,000 Men 18-49. The first run plus its encore airing (12:30 AM) combined to deliver 861,000 Total Viewers and 591,000 Adults 18-49.
And in late night, the return of Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell at 11:00PM outdelivered its most recent run average (7 episode which ended in mid-December) by +27% and repped the 4th most-watched telecast in Adults 18-49 out of the 14 telecasts to date. It delivered 331,000 Total Viewers and 261,000 Adults 18-49. Totally Biased climbed +27% over its Season 1B average in Adults 18-49 (10/11-11/29/12) in P18-49 (246,000 vs. 193,000), driven by a +50% jump in Men 18-49.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 21
Last Man Standing - "Trick or Treat" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Halloween and the Baxter family is excited for their annual party, except for Mike who’s reluctantly tasked with choosing the theme. In hopes of turning everyone against the holiday, Mike decides that maybe if the whole family has to dress up like each other they’ll end up making fun of one another. Eve dresses up like Mandy and Mandy dresses down like Eve, Kristin and Ryan swap roles, and Mike shows up to the party as… Donald Trump!? The impersonating turns into bickering but in the end, the Baxters come together to support Vanessa as she learns that she’s being laid off.
Dr. Ken - "D.K.'s Korean Ghost Story" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Halloween, Allison is disappointed the holiday doesn’t seem to scare Dave anymore, meaning her little boy is growing up, perhaps too fast. But that might change after D.K. tells a scary Korean gwishin (ghost) story. The Park family, as well as the gang at Welltopia, bring the story to life playing the various gwishins.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Jack" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus deals with the loss of one of his former teammates.
Friday, October 21
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah talks about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1:15pm.
- Lindsay Sloane (The Odd Couple/The Stones/Mr. Rhodes) - Lindsay visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Tom and Ron will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about King Cobra on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Grey (Red Oaks/It's Like, You Know...) - Jennifer joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Thomas and Jason are guests on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Red Oaks/Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.