Saturday, December 08, 2012
Digital Digest: Veep - The Complete First Season Coming to Blu-ray and DVD March 26; Perry Mason - Season 8, Volume 1 DVD Review
Package art has been posted for Lionsgate Entertainment's Cougar Town - The Complete Third Season. The 2-disc set will have a MSRP of $19.98 and is scheduled to be released on February 5. There's currently no listing for it on Amazon.com yet, but it should be available for pre-order soon. Lionsgate is also re-releasing the first two seasons at the same price on the same day, with the same cover art as the previous sets. As we previously mentioned, Cougar Town is returning for a fourth season on TBS starting Tuesday, January 8, 2013.
Before Lynda Carter took over the role, Cathy Lee Crosby starred in the 1974 pilot of Wonder Woman. Warner Archive Collection is releasing it this Tuesday, December 11. The single-disc set has a running time of 73 minutes and will cost $14.95 at WBShop.com. Ricardo Montalban plays the laconic lothario who lurks at the top of a conspiracy to make off with ultra-secret code books, leading Agent Prince to discover an Amazon sister-in-exile (Anitra Ford).
VEI's In Search of... - The Complete Series has apparently started shipping directly from their store (update: the set was received December 10). It's also available at Amazon.com and Amazon.ca, but there's no guarantee when it will be shipping. Your best bet would probably be to order it directly from VEI via their store. We'll keep you posted on any additional details. We plan on reviewing it soon in Digital Digest. Read TVShowsOnDVD.com's post on the delays for VEI's complete series sets.
Warner Archive is releasing Police Academy: The Animated Series - Volume One this Tuesday, December 11. The 1988-1989 animated spin-off ran for 2 seasons and 64 (or 65) episodes. The Volume One release will contain 30 episodes on 3 discs. It will be available as a MOD release.
Finally, Shout! Factory will be releasing Quincy, M.E. - Season 4 on Tuesday, December 18. They've already announced that Season 5 will be available on March 19. The 6-disc set will have a MSRP of $39.97.
BLOG FEATURE REVIEW
America's best defense attorney, Perry Mason (Raymond Burr) is back to prove the accused innocent and crush the dreams of more overzealous prosecutors (or really, just one) 15 more times in Perry Mason - Season 8, Volume 1! By now, you know the story (and formula) of the series: a person is accused of a crime that he or she "very clearly" committed based upon evidence, and Perry must go out of his way to show that his defendant not only did not commit the crime, but in many cases, is able to show who actually did. And in every single episode of the series, he always won. Always.
The episodes seem to be unedited (as usual), with the following runtimes:
1. "The Case of the Missing Button" (51:37)
2. "The Case of the Paper Bullets" (51:38)
3. "The Case of the Scandalous Sculptor" (51:37)
4. "The Case of the Sleepy Slayer" (51:39)
5. "The Case of the Betrayed Bride" (51:37)
6. "The Case of the Nautical Knot" (51:38)
7. "The Case of the Bullied Bowler" (51:39)
8. "The Case of a Place Called Midnight" (51:37)
9. "The Case of the Tragic Trophy" (51:37)
10. "The Case of the Reckless Rockhound" (51:37)
11. "The Case of the Latent Lover" (51:44)
12. "The Case of the Wooden Nickels" (51:38)
13. "The Case of the Blonde Bonanza" (51:34)
14. "The Case of the Ruinous Road" (51:35)
15. "The Case of the Frustrated Folk Singer" (51:32)
CBS hasn't really bothered changing packaging much on these releases over the past few seasons, and this one is no different. The set comes packaged in a Viva case, with a large color photo of Perry on the front, and photos of other cast members above him. On the back, there are some black and white cast photos, along with a description of the set. Inside the case, you'll find a listing of all of the episodes, airdates, and descriptions, and of course the four discs. The first three discs contain four episodes each, while the fourth disc contains just three episodes. As in the past, the artwork for each disc is the standard CBS gray standard, with the series logo (not the actual one, but the one created for the DVD sets) and a listing of the episodes printed in gray on each disc.
If you've seen any of the previous fourteen releases of this series, it should be no surprise that the menus are very plain (but clean). Each menu has a listing of episodes, an option of Play All, and an option of Subtitles. There is a still photo of Perry on the side of the menu. And as in the past, chapters and menus are placed throughout each episode.
There are no special features on this set (once again), although it is worth mentioning that Volume 2 will have some "Law Day" promo one when it comes out. Still, we don't expect that to be too much, and it is likely that neither of the season 9 sets will have a lot either.
Much like the series itself, the DVDs have remained very consistent, and fans should be satisfied once again. I enjoy watching these episodes even more on DVD than I do on TV (although I have to admit, I'm nowhere near being caught up on all of them on DVD... there are just so many!), and even though you know exactly how every episode will end, it still doesn't take the fun out of the series. It is nice to know that the second half of this season is already scheduled in just a little over a month, which means we'll likely get the final two releases of this series very shortly after that. But until then, enjoy these 15 episodes, and pick up the older releases if you haven't already!
To purchase this DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews Page
Perry Mason on TV.com
Claim to Fame: Host of Dancing with the Stars, America's Funniest Videos, Hollywood Squares (1998-2004)
Why You Should Follow Him: Tom is our pick for the best host on television. He hosted Hollywood Squares for 6 seasons and won a Daytime Emmy Award in 2000 for Outstanding Game Show Host. He began hosting America's Funniest Videos in 2001. Since 2005, he has hosted ABC's Dancing with the Stars. He won a well-earned Primetime Emmy Award in 2012 for Best Reality Host.
Besides being a great host, he's also a super nice guy. He took the time to meet and take a photo with our very own Pavan backstage on the set of Dr. Oz yesterday. He also signed a copy of his book, I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!: Zen and the Art of Staying Sane in Hollywood.
Mr. Bergeron has over 145,000 Twitter followers. His account is very active, with many hilarious one-liners. Fans are kept updated on his latest media appearances. He also has his very own bobblehead for sale in the ABC Store! He cautions that it WILL frighten children.
Pick of the Tweets: "1 1/2 of the original 2 1/2 men have slammed the show. Which, with apologies to Tim Allen, makes @MrJonCryer the real Last Man Standing." (November 27, 2012)
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, October 2
Bad Judge - "Pilot" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Rebecca Wright (Kate Walsh) knows how to have a good time, but she also happens to be one of L.A.’s toughest and most respected criminal court judges. She has a reputation for unorthodox behavior in the courtroom, including creative rulings and saying exactly what’s on her mind. Her private life, on the other hand, is anything but innocent. While there’s no shortage of male admirers who would love to spend time with her, she’s not ready to settle down.
A to Z - "A Is for Acquaintances" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
This is the A-to-Z story of Andrew (Ben Feldman) and Zelda (Cristin Milioti) — a pair that almost wasn’t — and all that happened from the day they met. When a computer glitch sends her a total mismatch, she’s asked to come in for an interview at the internet dating site where Andrew works, and this is where it all begins. Andrew and Zelda meet for the first time and despite their differences, sparks fly. She thinks it’s chance. He thinks it’s fate and is convinced she’s the shimmering girl in the silver dress he saw several years earlier.
- "Sanders Again" (Nick at Nite, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Aaron's imaginary friend "Sanders" comes back, Stephanie is worried that she is spending too much time working. After reading up on the subject, Stephanie makes sure Sanders feels welcomed, until he crosses the line.
See Dad Run - "See Dad Ruin Joe's Teacher" (Nick at Nite, 8:30PM ET/PT)
David inadvertently encourages Joe's favorite teacher to follow his dream of writing, but when David discovers he doesn't cut it as a "beat poetry" substitute, he must find a way to get the teacher back or risk disappointing Joe.
Dog with a Blog - "Howloween 2: the Final Reckoning" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Bennett and Ellen overhear Stan talking; the kids go into damage control and try to convince their parents that the house is haunted.
Girl Meets World - "Girl Meets World: of Terror" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
While Auggie braves the monster under his bed, Riley survives a sleep over at Maya's with her grandmother and pet ferret; Farkle faces the ultimate terror: softball.
Jessie - "The Runaway Bride of Frankenstein" (Disney Channel, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The Halloween Festival takes a scary turn when Brooks proposes to Jessie and she learns that none of the Ross kids approve.
Thursday, October 2
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne) - Catch Johnny on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Sarah Silverman (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Sarah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- John Mulaney (Mulaney) - John appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Melissa Fumero (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Melissa stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/I'm a Big Girl Now) - Martin visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The College Years) - Mario appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Marilu Henner (Taxi/Evening Shade) - Marilu will be on HuffPost Live at 4:30pm.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Ana Gasteyer (Suburgatory) - Ana can be heard on Wake Up with Taylor on Sirius XM Stars channel 109 sometime between 6-9am. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET
- John Mulaney (Mulaney) - John talks about his new show Mulaney on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Kate Walsh (Bad Judge) - Kate discusses her new show Bad Judge on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour.
- Cristin Milioti (A to Z/How I Met Your Mother) - Cristin chats about her new show A to Z on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She can also be heard on Covino & Rich on SiriusXM Indie radio channel 102 at 2pm.
- Nasim Pedrad (Mulaney - Nasim talks about her new show Mulaney on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Sheryl Lee Ralph (Instant Mom/Moesha/It's a Living) - Sheryl will be on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 8:50am.
- Tom Arnold (Tom/The Tom Show/Roseanne) - Tom is a guest on The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.
- Freddie Prinze Jr. (Freddie) - Freddie appears on The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.