Saturday, December 08, 2012
Digital Digest: Veep - The Complete First Season Coming to Blu-ray and DVD March 26; Perry Mason - Season 8, Volume 1 DVD Review
Package art has been posted for Lionsgate Entertainment's Cougar Town - The Complete Third Season. The 2-disc set will have a MSRP of $19.98 and is scheduled to be released on February 5. There's currently no listing for it on Amazon.com yet, but it should be available for pre-order soon. Lionsgate is also re-releasing the first two seasons at the same price on the same day, with the same cover art as the previous sets. As we previously mentioned, Cougar Town is returning for a fourth season on TBS starting Tuesday, January 8, 2013.
Before Lynda Carter took over the role, Cathy Lee Crosby starred in the 1974 pilot of Wonder Woman. Warner Archive Collection is releasing it this Tuesday, December 11. The single-disc set has a running time of 73 minutes and will cost $14.95 at WBShop.com. Ricardo Montalban plays the laconic lothario who lurks at the top of a conspiracy to make off with ultra-secret code books, leading Agent Prince to discover an Amazon sister-in-exile (Anitra Ford).
VEI's In Search of... - The Complete Series has apparently started shipping directly from their store (update: the set was received December 10). It's also available at Amazon.com and Amazon.ca, but there's no guarantee when it will be shipping. Your best bet would probably be to order it directly from VEI via their store. We'll keep you posted on any additional details. We plan on reviewing it soon in Digital Digest. Read TVShowsOnDVD.com's post on the delays for VEI's complete series sets.
Warner Archive is releasing Police Academy: The Animated Series - Volume One this Tuesday, December 11. The 1988-1989 animated spin-off ran for 2 seasons and 64 (or 65) episodes. The Volume One release will contain 30 episodes on 3 discs. It will be available as a MOD release.
Finally, Shout! Factory will be releasing Quincy, M.E. - Season 4 on Tuesday, December 18. They've already announced that Season 5 will be available on March 19. The 6-disc set will have a MSRP of $39.97.
BLOG FEATURE REVIEW
America's best defense attorney, Perry Mason (Raymond Burr) is back to prove the accused innocent and crush the dreams of more overzealous prosecutors (or really, just one) 15 more times in Perry Mason - Season 8, Volume 1! By now, you know the story (and formula) of the series: a person is accused of a crime that he or she "very clearly" committed based upon evidence, and Perry must go out of his way to show that his defendant not only did not commit the crime, but in many cases, is able to show who actually did. And in every single episode of the series, he always won. Always.
The episodes seem to be unedited (as usual), with the following runtimes:
1. "The Case of the Missing Button" (51:37)
2. "The Case of the Paper Bullets" (51:38)
3. "The Case of the Scandalous Sculptor" (51:37)
4. "The Case of the Sleepy Slayer" (51:39)
5. "The Case of the Betrayed Bride" (51:37)
6. "The Case of the Nautical Knot" (51:38)
7. "The Case of the Bullied Bowler" (51:39)
8. "The Case of a Place Called Midnight" (51:37)
9. "The Case of the Tragic Trophy" (51:37)
10. "The Case of the Reckless Rockhound" (51:37)
11. "The Case of the Latent Lover" (51:44)
12. "The Case of the Wooden Nickels" (51:38)
13. "The Case of the Blonde Bonanza" (51:34)
14. "The Case of the Ruinous Road" (51:35)
15. "The Case of the Frustrated Folk Singer" (51:32)
CBS hasn't really bothered changing packaging much on these releases over the past few seasons, and this one is no different. The set comes packaged in a Viva case, with a large color photo of Perry on the front, and photos of other cast members above him. On the back, there are some black and white cast photos, along with a description of the set. Inside the case, you'll find a listing of all of the episodes, airdates, and descriptions, and of course the four discs. The first three discs contain four episodes each, while the fourth disc contains just three episodes. As in the past, the artwork for each disc is the standard CBS gray standard, with the series logo (not the actual one, but the one created for the DVD sets) and a listing of the episodes printed in gray on each disc.
If you've seen any of the previous fourteen releases of this series, it should be no surprise that the menus are very plain (but clean). Each menu has a listing of episodes, an option of Play All, and an option of Subtitles. There is a still photo of Perry on the side of the menu. And as in the past, chapters and menus are placed throughout each episode.
There are no special features on this set (once again), although it is worth mentioning that Volume 2 will have some "Law Day" promo one when it comes out. Still, we don't expect that to be too much, and it is likely that neither of the season 9 sets will have a lot either.
Much like the series itself, the DVDs have remained very consistent, and fans should be satisfied once again. I enjoy watching these episodes even more on DVD than I do on TV (although I have to admit, I'm nowhere near being caught up on all of them on DVD... there are just so many!), and even though you know exactly how every episode will end, it still doesn't take the fun out of the series. It is nice to know that the second half of this season is already scheduled in just a little over a month, which means we'll likely get the final two releases of this series very shortly after that. But until then, enjoy these 15 episodes, and pick up the older releases if you haven't already!
To purchase this DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews Page
Perry Mason on TV.com
Claim to Fame: Host of Dancing with the Stars, America's Funniest Videos, Hollywood Squares (1998-2004)
Why You Should Follow Him: Tom is our pick for the best host on television. He hosted Hollywood Squares for 6 seasons and won a Daytime Emmy Award in 2000 for Outstanding Game Show Host. He began hosting America's Funniest Videos in 2001. Since 2005, he has hosted ABC's Dancing with the Stars. He won a well-earned Primetime Emmy Award in 2012 for Best Reality Host.
Besides being a great host, he's also a super nice guy. He took the time to meet and take a photo with our very own Pavan backstage on the set of Dr. Oz yesterday. He also signed a copy of his book, I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!: Zen and the Art of Staying Sane in Hollywood.
Mr. Bergeron has over 145,000 Twitter followers. His account is very active, with many hilarious one-liners. Fans are kept updated on his latest media appearances. He also has his very own bobblehead for sale in the ABC Store! He cautions that it WILL frighten children.
Pick of the Tweets: "1 1/2 of the original 2 1/2 men have slammed the show. Which, with apologies to Tim Allen, makes @MrJonCryer the real Last Man Standing." (November 27, 2012)
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)
10/06 - Bewitched - The Complete Collection
10/06 - Grace Under Fire - The Complete Collection
10/06 - Happyish - Season One
10/06 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/06 - Party Down - The Complete Series
10/06 - South Park - The Complete Eighteenth Season (Blu-ray)
10/20 - C.P.O. Sharkey - Mr. Warmth: The Ultimate Don Rickles TV Collection
10/20 - The Facts of Life - Season Seven
10/20- King of the Hill - The Complete 13th Season (Blu-ray)
10/20 - My Favorite Martian - The Complete Series
10/20 - Nurse Jackie - Season Seven ((Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 10
Henry Danger - "Captain Man: On Vacation" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Ray has trusted Henry and Charlotte with protecting Swellview while he's out of town at his cousin's wedding. Problems arise when they find themselves having to handle things on their own.
Game Shakers - "Tiny Pickles" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Babe and Kenzie's new game is ready, but Dub promises the world another game based on a crazy dream he had. The kids make his game and it's terrible. Feeling bad, they combine it with theirs and announce it on TV. Guest Stars: Matt Bennett, Yvette Nicole Brown.
100 Things to Do Before High School - "Join a Club Thing!" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Crispo joins the school's most popular club and Fen joins the genius group, CJ is left without her pals. Realizing it's more fun when they are together, she works to create a club that will reunite the group.
- "Basket Case" (TV Land, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Stephanie helps Aaron beat James at a game, Charlie worries that she has upset the balance of power in the family. Gabby gets caught in the middle of a fight between Stephanie and Maggie.
- "Turning a Blind Eye" (TV Land, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Maggie bribes James and Aaron to pretend to be her younger brothers when she starts dating a younger man, who happens to be blind. Gabby gets punished for having Noah over when her parents are out. Guest Star: Carlos PenaVega.
Monday, October 12
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife/The Secret Lives of Men) - Watch Bradley on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Mark-Paul Gosselaar (Truth Be Told/Saved by the Bell) and Tone Bell (Truth Be Told/Bad Judge) - Mark-Paul and Tone are guests on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Colin Hanks (Life in Pieces) - Colin will be on on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Steve appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jussie Smollett (On Our Own) - Jussie chats about the series Empire on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Clark Gregg (The New Adventures of Old Christine) - Whoopi Goldberg tours NY Comic Con with Clark on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Sherri Shepherd (Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri guest co-hosts Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Ryan McPartlin (Living with Fran) - Ryan appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Ryan Lee (Trophy Wife) - Ryan and the cast of Goosebumps will be on the AOL Build Show at 11:30am.
- Dana Delany (The Comedians) - Dana talks about House of God on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Selena performs live on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am. She also appears in the 9am hour.
- Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex) - Jenna talks about Big Stong Gap on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Josh McDermitt (Retired at 35) - Josh will be on People Now.
- Heather Dubrow (Stark Raving Mad) - Heather is a guest on People Now.
- Chris D'Elia (Undateable/Whitney) and Brent Morin (Undateable) - Chris and Brent talk about going live for season 3 of Undateable on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.