Monday, October 01, 2012
The Munsters and The Addams Family Return to Boomerang For October; New Sabrina, the Teenage Witch Animated Series Coming to The Hub in Summer 2013
For the second straight year, Boomerang will bring us two classic sitcoms all October long! Boomerang is bewitched this October with a line-up of spooky episodes and specials themed around everyone's favorite haunted celebration. Spotlighting the month-long Halloween festivities, Boomerang will feature spooktacular blocks of The Funky Phantom, Goober and the Ghost Chasers, What's New, Scooby-Doo?, The Munsters (live-action series, 1964-66) and The Addams Family (animated, 1992-95, as well as live-action series, 1964-66) on weekdays from 2pm-5:30pm ET/PT and again from 9pm-12am ET/PT. On weekends, the network is offering a bag full of treats with classic series and specials, including The Halloween Tree, The Flintstones Meet Rockula and Frankenstone and Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf from 11am-2pm ET/PT and 10pm-12am ET/PT.
The Munsters comically depicted the "average" American home life of a close-knit blue-collar family - of monsters - that were based on the classic monsters of Universal Studios, including Frankenstein, Count Dracula, The Werewolf and The Bride of Dracula. Presented in black-and-white, the half-hour series starred Fred Gwynne as Herman Munster; Yvonne De Carlo as his wife, Lily; Al Lewis as Grandpa; Butch Patrick as Eddie; and Beverly Owen/Pat Priest as Marilyn, the "ugly niece" who resembled Marilyn Monroe. The show featured satirical situations where the lovable Munsters interacted as normal, good citizens with an unsuspecting public, who were terrified solely by their appearance. The Munsters premiered on CBS Television on Sept. 24, 1964, and played for two full seasons (70 episodes) that concluded on May 12, 1966. The Munsters will air all month weekdays at 5pm ET/PT starting TODAY.
Based on Charles Addams' New Yorker comics, The Addams Family featured a much more well-to-do family of creepy characters that generally stayed within their eerie yet palatial mansion. Also shot in black-and-white and immortalized by a catchy, snappy theme-song, The Addams Family starred John Astin as Gomez Addams; Carolyn Jones as his wife, Morticia; Jackie Coogan as Uncle Fester; Ted Cassidy as the butler, Lurch; Blossom Rock as Grandmama Addams; and Lisa Loring and Ken Weatherwax, respectively, as the Addams' children, Wednesday and Pugsley. The series' humor derives from a culture clash with the rest of the world - the Addams treat normal visitors (often arriving with evil intentions) with great warmth and courtesy, but are puzzled by the horrified reactions to their "ordinary" behavior and tastes. The Addams Family premiered on ABC Television on Sept. 18, 1964, and presented 64 episodes that concluded on April 8, 1966. The live-action sitcom will air weekdays at 4:30pm ET/PT and 10:30pm ET/PT starting TODAY.
In the animated series, the Addams are not your typical family: they take delight in most of the things that "normal" people would be terrified of. Gomez Adams is an extremely wealthy man, and is able to indulge his wife Morticia's every desire - be it cultivation of poisonous plants, or a candlelit dinner in a graveyard. People visiting the Addams family just don't seem to appreciate the 7 foot tall butler "Lurch" or the helping hand (which is just a disembodied hand" named "Thing"). The animated The Addams Family will air weekdays at 4pm ET/PT and 10pm ET/PT starting TODAY.
The Hub has announced that an all-new original animated series, Sabrina: Secrets of a Teenage Witch, will premiere in the summer of 2013. The series will feature the iconic teen character re-imagined for a new generation. Actress Ashley Tisdale, who starred in The Suite Life of Zack & Cody and the High School Musical film series, will provide the voice for Sabrina.
In the upcoming series Sabrina: Secrets of a Teenage Witch, Sabrina is half-witch and half-human, and all super hero as she leads two vastly different lives; one disguised as a normal, klutzy high school student and the other as the top sorcery student in the magical world. When her two worlds collide, Sabrina is the only one who has the power to battle her foes, while managing to keep her magical identity a secret from humankind.
The Hub currently airs the live-action 1996-2003 sitcom on Sunday nights (early Monday mornings) at 3:00am & 3:30am. Two other animated series, Sabrina: The Animated Series and Sabrina's Secret Life, have previously aired on CBS's Cookie Jar TV.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 23
Downward Dog - "Boundaries" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Nan installs an automatic dog door so she can take away Jason’s key but still keep him as Martin’s dog walker, Martin is convinced he can suddenly open doors with his mind, and the new-found power goes to his head. Meanwhile at work, Nan’s boss is unable to understand the new ad campaign Nan sold to the corporate bosses, and he spirals into confusion.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Bank Job" / "Crime & Punishment" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Jake and Rosa continue their search for a bank-robbing operation with Lieutenant Hawkins (guest star Gina Gershon), they realize there’s more to her team than meets the eye. After discovering a dangerous secret, they call for back-up from Holt and Pimento (guest star Jason Mantzoukas). Meanwhile, Boyle objects to Gina’s new boyfriend (guest star Ryan Phillipe). Then, Jake and Rosa are framed for a crime they didn’t commit, it’s up to the Nine-Nine to find a way to bust them out.
Great News - "Carol Has a Bully" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Carol (Andrea Martin) has a midterm she must pass in order to keep her internship. Katie (Briga Heelan) needs to choose between helping her mom and focusing on her hacking story, which she can't seem to crack. Meanwhile, Greg's (Adam Campbell) wealthy estranged grandmother (guest star Christina Pickles) pays a visit to the office. Chuck (John Michael Higgins) finds her cold and cruel, but almost immediately falls in love with her.
Great News - "Carol's Eleven" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) makes a huge discovery about the story she's been chasing and, with the help of Carol (Andrea Martin) and the rest of the staff, concocts a scheme to get the story out. Greg (Adam Campbell) struggles with balancing his conflicting loyalties to his family, co-workers and conscience.
Mann & Wife - "Mann, Shut Yo Mouth" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Struggling to solve a tough case, an exhausted Daniel falls asleep and wakes up in a 70's blaxploitation cop show.
Tuesday, May 23
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Catch Terry on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Rob Huebel (Trasparent/Burning Love) - Rob appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to The Captain/Gary Unmarried), Andrew Santino (I'm Dying Up Here/Sin City Saints) and Erik Griffin (I'm Dying Up Here) - Al, Andrew and Erik are guests on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ari Graynor (I'm Dying Up Here/Bad Teacher) - Ari stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ben Falcone (Nobodies/A to Z/Joey) - Ben drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Abigail Breslin (Scream Queens) - Abigail appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Ryan, so check your listings.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim talks about her new book Girling Up: How to Be Strong, Smart and Spectacular and The Big Bang Theory on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- William Shatner ($#*! My Dad Says) - William is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle teams up with Clinton Kelly to grill up a great entrée on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nicole Byer ( Loosely Exactly Nicole) - Nicole is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- The Love Boat Cast - The cast of The Love Boat reunites on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Debra chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie talks about Beat Shazam on AOL Build Show 4pm.