Sunday, September 02, 2012
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week of August 20-26)
- The Simpsons (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 8pm did 3.71 million and a 1.7 18-49 rating, up three tenths in 18-49 from previous week. A second repeat followed with 3.86 million and a 1.8 18-49 rating, also up three tenths week-to-week. People tune in during the summer as I'm sure many miss it during the season due to other programming.
- The Cleveland Show (Fox) - A repeat at 7:30pm posted 2.74 million and a 1.2 18-49 rating, up two tenths from the previous week.
- Bob's Burgers (Fox) - preempted.
- Family Guy (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 9pm did 4.04 million and a 2.0 18-49 rating, which was up two tenths from the previous week. A second repeat at 9:30pm did 4.02 million and a 1.9 18-49 rating, but down a tenth week-to-week.
- American Dad! (Fox) - preempted.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - A repeat did 4.87 million and a 1.5 18-49 rating, up a good three tenths in 18-49 from the previous week.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A special repeat came in and jumped to 6.5 million and a 2.0 18-49 rating, a half a point better than previous week's 2 Broke Girls. Wow.
- 2 Broke Girls (CBS) - A repeat of this comedy at 9pm followed and posted 6.63 million and a 2.1 rating, up four tenths in 18-49 from the previous week thanks to a better lead-in.
- Mike & Molly (CBS) - 5.97 million and a 1.6 18-49 rating for a repeat at 9:30pm, which was up a tenth in 18-49 from the previous week.
- The Middle (ABC) - Tuesday repeats will air for the rest of the summer, in addition to its regular Wednesday airings. The 8pm repeat did 3.05 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, on par with the previous week again. OK, but not terrible.
- Last Man Standing (ABC) - A repeat of this sitcom followed with 2.69 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, also on par with previous week.
- Happy Endings (ABC) - A repeat at 9pm did 1.92 million and a 0.6 18-49 rating, which was down two tenths week-to-week.
- Don't Trust the B---- In Apartment 23 (ABC) - A repeat at 9:30pm posted 1.63 million and a 0.5 18-49 rating, which was down a tenth from the previous week.
- The Middle (ABC) - A repeat at 8pm did 3.74 million and a 0.9 rating, down two tents from the previous week as NFL preemptions were a lot.
- Suburgatory (ABC) 2 airings - A repeat at 8:30 posted 3.35 million and a 1.0 18-49 rating, up a tenth from previous week. A second repeat airing at 9:30pm generated 3.02 million and a 1.1 18-49 rating, also up a tenth week-to-week. This show could be big this fall at 9:30pm.
- Up All Night (NBC) - preempted.
- Modern Family (ABC) - A repeat at 9pm did 3.88 million and a 1.3 rating, on par with the previous week. I look for it to start going up now as we get closer to the fall but maybe not this coming week with the NFL launch game on.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A repeat at 8 did 6.17 million and a 1.6 18-49 rating, down four tenths from the previous week in the key demo. NFL preemptions hurt it, but still very good.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - A repeat at 8:30pm did 4.91 million and a 1.3 18-49 rating, also down four tenths in 18-49 from the previous week.
- The Office (NBC) - A repeat at 8pm did 1.97 million and a 0.6 18-49 rating, which was down a tenth from the previous week. Not good for an anchor, even if it is a repeat.
- Parks and Recreation (NBC) - A repeat at 8:30pm followed with 1.57 million and 0.5 18-49 rating, which was again down a tenth from the previous week.
- Raising Hope (Fox) - A Thursday repeat at 8pm did 2.09 million and a 0.7 18-49 rating, which beat NBC's competing comedy and on par with previous week.
- New Girl (Fox) - A Thursday repeat at 8:30pm did 1.98 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, which isn't great but it beat the regular NBC competing comedy again...ouch and also on par week-to-week.
- Whitney (NBC) - preempted.
- Community (NBC) - preempted.
- Rules of Engagement (CBS) - preempted.
Summing it up. The repeats of Simpsons & Family Guy-last Sun, The Big Bang Theory, 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly, How I Met Your Mother were impressive for the week. Everything else was OK (such as repeats of Two and a Half Men, Modern Family) or just plain old terrible (such as repeats of Parks and Recreation, Apartment 23).
Feeling the repeat blues? Well the new season starts Sept. 24! Original sitcoms on cable this summer are winding down as ABC Family's Melissa & Joey and Baby Daddy concluded this past week. As we mentioned, both series have been renewed for new seasons coming in spring 2013! TBS has episode nine of new sitcom Sullivan & Son this Thursday at 10pm. Also on Wednesdays is TV Land's Hot in Cleveland spin-off series The Soul Man starring Cedric the Entertainer at 10pm with its season finale, followed by the season finale of The Exes at 10:30pm. TV Land's Retired at 35 had its season finale this past week. FX had its season finale of Anger Management the previous Thursday at 9:30pm, so look for encores this week if you missed it and the new season will premiere in January 2013 with 90 new episodes! All of these are multi-camera comedies, too! New sitcom airings is the perfect way to beat the summer blues!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, December 8
The Big Bang Theory - "The Military Miniaturization" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Colonel Williams (Dean Norris), an Air Force representative from the Department of Material Command sits down to talk with Wolowitz.
The Great Indoors - "@Emma" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emma quits after being turned down for a raise, Jack and Roland become the magazine’s newest and worst ever social media managers. Also, in a misguided attempt to boost business, Eddie re-brands his bar as “magic-themed.”
Mom - "Cornbread and a Cashmere Onesie" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Christy and Bonnie worry about Jill after her cry for help on the anniversary of her mother’s suicide.
Life in Pieces - "Swim Survivor Zen Talk" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When John decides to try out for “Survivor,” Tim gets jealous and attempts to undermine his audition tape. Also, Colleen confesses she can’t swim when she and Matt discuss Hawaii as a honeymoon destination; Jen pretends to get hooked on meditation so she can use the time to play cell phone games; and Heather gives Sophia the “sex” talk. “Survivor” host Jeff Probst guest stars as himself.
Thursday, December 8
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Catch Jennifer on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Lola Kirke (Mozart in the Jungle) - Lola is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril guest co-hosts Rachael Ray and makes sausage-stuffed mushrooms, so check your local listings.
- Jodie Sweetin (Fuller House/Full House) and Andrea Barber (Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie and Andrea chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. Jodie joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Judah Friedlander (30 Rock) - Judah is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Lori Loughlin (Fuller House/Full House) - Lori is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. She also talks about what to expect from Season 2 of Fuller House on People Now at 8:30am.
- Scott Patterson (Aliens in America) - Scott talks about Luke and Lorelai’s wedding scene from Gilmore Girls – and if he thinks the two will ever have a baby on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother) - Josh is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- Emmanuelle Chriqui (Entourage) - Emanuelle appears the AOL Build Show 3:45pm.
- Gael Garcia Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.