Sunday, September 02, 2012
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week of August 20-26)
- The Simpsons (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 8pm did 3.71 million and a 1.7 18-49 rating, up three tenths in 18-49 from previous week. A second repeat followed with 3.86 million and a 1.8 18-49 rating, also up three tenths week-to-week. People tune in during the summer as I'm sure many miss it during the season due to other programming.
- The Cleveland Show (Fox) - A repeat at 7:30pm posted 2.74 million and a 1.2 18-49 rating, up two tenths from the previous week.
- Bob's Burgers (Fox) - preempted.
- Family Guy (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 9pm did 4.04 million and a 2.0 18-49 rating, which was up two tenths from the previous week. A second repeat at 9:30pm did 4.02 million and a 1.9 18-49 rating, but down a tenth week-to-week.
- American Dad! (Fox) - preempted.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - A repeat did 4.87 million and a 1.5 18-49 rating, up a good three tenths in 18-49 from the previous week.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A special repeat came in and jumped to 6.5 million and a 2.0 18-49 rating, a half a point better than previous week's 2 Broke Girls. Wow.
- 2 Broke Girls (CBS) - A repeat of this comedy at 9pm followed and posted 6.63 million and a 2.1 rating, up four tenths in 18-49 from the previous week thanks to a better lead-in.
- Mike & Molly (CBS) - 5.97 million and a 1.6 18-49 rating for a repeat at 9:30pm, which was up a tenth in 18-49 from the previous week.
- The Middle (ABC) - Tuesday repeats will air for the rest of the summer, in addition to its regular Wednesday airings. The 8pm repeat did 3.05 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, on par with the previous week again. OK, but not terrible.
- Last Man Standing (ABC) - A repeat of this sitcom followed with 2.69 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, also on par with previous week.
- Happy Endings (ABC) - A repeat at 9pm did 1.92 million and a 0.6 18-49 rating, which was down two tenths week-to-week.
- Don't Trust the B---- In Apartment 23 (ABC) - A repeat at 9:30pm posted 1.63 million and a 0.5 18-49 rating, which was down a tenth from the previous week.
- The Middle (ABC) - A repeat at 8pm did 3.74 million and a 0.9 rating, down two tents from the previous week as NFL preemptions were a lot.
- Suburgatory (ABC) 2 airings - A repeat at 8:30 posted 3.35 million and a 1.0 18-49 rating, up a tenth from previous week. A second repeat airing at 9:30pm generated 3.02 million and a 1.1 18-49 rating, also up a tenth week-to-week. This show could be big this fall at 9:30pm.
- Up All Night (NBC) - preempted.
- Modern Family (ABC) - A repeat at 9pm did 3.88 million and a 1.3 rating, on par with the previous week. I look for it to start going up now as we get closer to the fall but maybe not this coming week with the NFL launch game on.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A repeat at 8 did 6.17 million and a 1.6 18-49 rating, down four tenths from the previous week in the key demo. NFL preemptions hurt it, but still very good.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - A repeat at 8:30pm did 4.91 million and a 1.3 18-49 rating, also down four tenths in 18-49 from the previous week.
- The Office (NBC) - A repeat at 8pm did 1.97 million and a 0.6 18-49 rating, which was down a tenth from the previous week. Not good for an anchor, even if it is a repeat.
- Parks and Recreation (NBC) - A repeat at 8:30pm followed with 1.57 million and 0.5 18-49 rating, which was again down a tenth from the previous week.
- Raising Hope (Fox) - A Thursday repeat at 8pm did 2.09 million and a 0.7 18-49 rating, which beat NBC's competing comedy and on par with previous week.
- New Girl (Fox) - A Thursday repeat at 8:30pm did 1.98 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, which isn't great but it beat the regular NBC competing comedy again...ouch and also on par week-to-week.
- Whitney (NBC) - preempted.
- Community (NBC) - preempted.
- Rules of Engagement (CBS) - preempted.
Summing it up. The repeats of Simpsons & Family Guy-last Sun, The Big Bang Theory, 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly, How I Met Your Mother were impressive for the week. Everything else was OK (such as repeats of Two and a Half Men, Modern Family) or just plain old terrible (such as repeats of Parks and Recreation, Apartment 23).
Feeling the repeat blues? Well the new season starts Sept. 24! Original sitcoms on cable this summer are winding down as ABC Family's Melissa & Joey and Baby Daddy concluded this past week. As we mentioned, both series have been renewed for new seasons coming in spring 2013! TBS has episode nine of new sitcom Sullivan & Son this Thursday at 10pm. Also on Wednesdays is TV Land's Hot in Cleveland spin-off series The Soul Man starring Cedric the Entertainer at 10pm with its season finale, followed by the season finale of The Exes at 10:30pm. TV Land's Retired at 35 had its season finale this past week. FX had its season finale of Anger Management the previous Thursday at 9:30pm, so look for encores this week if you missed it and the new season will premiere in January 2013 with 90 new episodes! All of these are multi-camera comedies, too! New sitcom airings is the perfect way to beat the summer blues!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, February 20
Kevin Can Wait - "Neighborhood Watch" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Donna’s cousin, Irene (Claire Coffee), comes to visit with her chatty husband, Stuart (Alexander Chaplin), Kevin concocts an elaborate plan to avoid spending time with them by forming a neighborhood watch group with his buddies, including his neighbor, Rootger (Bas Rutten).
Man with a Plan - "Kate's First Date" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Kate is asked out on her first date, Adam can’t curb his overprotective ways. Also, Don enlists Lowell’s help to buy the perfect anniversary gift for Marcy.
Superior Donuts - "Trust Me" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Arthur is reluctant to let Franco make the shop’s bank deposit, Franco accuses his boss of not trusting him. Also, James regrets confiding in Randy after she shares an embarrassing secret about him with other cops at the station.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Jessica Shmessica" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Bobby (Christopher Gorham) invites Caroline to a party to meet his family, she is eager to make a good impression but isn’t prepared for the torch that his mother and sisters still carry for Bobby’s ex-girlfriend. Also, Caroline’s nerves are even more frayed when the diner gang decides to tag along. Guest stars include Nora Dunn as Bobby’s mother, Teresa, and Kerri Kenney-Silver as his sister, Denise.
Monday, February 20
- Jason Jones (The Detour) - Watch Jason on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Norm Macdonald (The Norm Show/A Minute with Stan Hooper) - Norm is a guest on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Keke Palmer (Scream Queens/True Jackson, VP) - Keke appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Patricia chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Mike Farrell, Loretta Swit and Jamie Farr (M*A*S*H) - Mike, Loretta and Jamie are guests on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Anne-Marie Johnson (What's Happening Now!!) - Anne-Marie discusses diversity at the Oscars on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) - Adam joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Regina Hall (Grandfathered) - Regina appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Louie Anderson (Baskets/The Louie Show/Life with Louie) - Louie is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.