Sunday, September 02, 2012
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week of August 20-26)
- The Simpsons (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 8pm did 3.71 million and a 1.7 18-49 rating, up three tenths in 18-49 from previous week. A second repeat followed with 3.86 million and a 1.8 18-49 rating, also up three tenths week-to-week. People tune in during the summer as I'm sure many miss it during the season due to other programming.
- The Cleveland Show (Fox) - A repeat at 7:30pm posted 2.74 million and a 1.2 18-49 rating, up two tenths from the previous week.
- Bob's Burgers (Fox) - preempted.
- Family Guy (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 9pm did 4.04 million and a 2.0 18-49 rating, which was up two tenths from the previous week. A second repeat at 9:30pm did 4.02 million and a 1.9 18-49 rating, but down a tenth week-to-week.
- American Dad! (Fox) - preempted.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - A repeat did 4.87 million and a 1.5 18-49 rating, up a good three tenths in 18-49 from the previous week.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A special repeat came in and jumped to 6.5 million and a 2.0 18-49 rating, a half a point better than previous week's 2 Broke Girls. Wow.
- 2 Broke Girls (CBS) - A repeat of this comedy at 9pm followed and posted 6.63 million and a 2.1 rating, up four tenths in 18-49 from the previous week thanks to a better lead-in.
- Mike & Molly (CBS) - 5.97 million and a 1.6 18-49 rating for a repeat at 9:30pm, which was up a tenth in 18-49 from the previous week.
- The Middle (ABC) - Tuesday repeats will air for the rest of the summer, in addition to its regular Wednesday airings. The 8pm repeat did 3.05 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, on par with the previous week again. OK, but not terrible.
- Last Man Standing (ABC) - A repeat of this sitcom followed with 2.69 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, also on par with previous week.
- Happy Endings (ABC) - A repeat at 9pm did 1.92 million and a 0.6 18-49 rating, which was down two tenths week-to-week.
- Don't Trust the B---- In Apartment 23 (ABC) - A repeat at 9:30pm posted 1.63 million and a 0.5 18-49 rating, which was down a tenth from the previous week.
- The Middle (ABC) - A repeat at 8pm did 3.74 million and a 0.9 rating, down two tents from the previous week as NFL preemptions were a lot.
- Suburgatory (ABC) 2 airings - A repeat at 8:30 posted 3.35 million and a 1.0 18-49 rating, up a tenth from previous week. A second repeat airing at 9:30pm generated 3.02 million and a 1.1 18-49 rating, also up a tenth week-to-week. This show could be big this fall at 9:30pm.
- Up All Night (NBC) - preempted.
- Modern Family (ABC) - A repeat at 9pm did 3.88 million and a 1.3 rating, on par with the previous week. I look for it to start going up now as we get closer to the fall but maybe not this coming week with the NFL launch game on.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A repeat at 8 did 6.17 million and a 1.6 18-49 rating, down four tenths from the previous week in the key demo. NFL preemptions hurt it, but still very good.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - A repeat at 8:30pm did 4.91 million and a 1.3 18-49 rating, also down four tenths in 18-49 from the previous week.
- The Office (NBC) - A repeat at 8pm did 1.97 million and a 0.6 18-49 rating, which was down a tenth from the previous week. Not good for an anchor, even if it is a repeat.
- Parks and Recreation (NBC) - A repeat at 8:30pm followed with 1.57 million and 0.5 18-49 rating, which was again down a tenth from the previous week.
- Raising Hope (Fox) - A Thursday repeat at 8pm did 2.09 million and a 0.7 18-49 rating, which beat NBC's competing comedy and on par with previous week.
- New Girl (Fox) - A Thursday repeat at 8:30pm did 1.98 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, which isn't great but it beat the regular NBC competing comedy again...ouch and also on par week-to-week.
- Whitney (NBC) - preempted.
- Community (NBC) - preempted.
- Rules of Engagement (CBS) - preempted.
Summing it up. The repeats of Simpsons & Family Guy-last Sun, The Big Bang Theory, 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly, How I Met Your Mother were impressive for the week. Everything else was OK (such as repeats of Two and a Half Men, Modern Family) or just plain old terrible (such as repeats of Parks and Recreation, Apartment 23).
Feeling the repeat blues? Well the new season starts Sept. 24! Original sitcoms on cable this summer are winding down as ABC Family's Melissa & Joey and Baby Daddy concluded this past week. As we mentioned, both series have been renewed for new seasons coming in spring 2013! TBS has episode nine of new sitcom Sullivan & Son this Thursday at 10pm. Also on Wednesdays is TV Land's Hot in Cleveland spin-off series The Soul Man starring Cedric the Entertainer at 10pm with its season finale, followed by the season finale of The Exes at 10:30pm. TV Land's Retired at 35 had its season finale this past week. FX had its season finale of Anger Management the previous Thursday at 9:30pm, so look for encores this week if you missed it and the new season will premiere in January 2013 with 90 new episodes! All of these are multi-camera comedies, too! New sitcom airings is the perfect way to beat the summer blues!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, September 30
Last Man Standing - "Gameday Forecast: Showers" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When a Jack and Jill wedding shower for Mandy and Kyle is announced, Mike is disappointed to learn it’s on the same day as the big Broncos-Chargers game. In an effort to catch the game with Joe (Jay Leno) and the guys, Mike convinces the couple to hold separate showers. Ryan offers to host the men’s festivities at his place, and to Mike’s dismay, he’s more into party planning than anyone would have thought. Meanwhile, Ed’s convinced that sticking to his superstitious rituals is the only way to see to it that the Broncos pull out a big win, even if it means interfering with Mandy’s wedding shower.
Dr. Ken - "Ken and Allison Share a Patient" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Allison’s first work day at Welltopia, she and Ken try to prove the other wrong when it comes to a patient’s diagnosis. After Damona introduces her new boyfriend, Eric, to co-workers, Pat surprises everyone and announces he’s also dating someone. Meanwhile, it’s Dave’s first day of middle school, and he’s nervous he won’t be able to make friends, so he turns to D.K. to help reinvent his image.
Liv and Maddie - "Linda & Heather-a-Rooney" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Liv thinks she landed a small role on a hit show called ``Linda and Heather'' but her part turns out to be much bigger; Joey experiences relationship woes.
Bunk'd - "Luke Out Below" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Luke comes back to camp and takes Griff and Zuri on an adventure to prove that he's just as responsible as the other CITs.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Three Times" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Leslie and Angela try to fix their seemingly broken friendship with Jennifer.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "The Flower Delivery" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Keisha manages to intercept Richard's gift for his new love interest.
Friday, September 30
- Minnie Driver (Speechless/About a Boy) - Watch Minnie on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family/Encore! Encore!/Charlie Lawrence) - Nathan visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Abby Elliott (Odd Mom Out) - Abby appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Clark Gregg (The New Adventures of Old Christine) - Clark is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen appears on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Margo Martindale (The Millers) - Margo joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Ashley Williams (The Jim Gaffigan Show/How I Met Your Mother/Good Morning, Miami) - Ashley talks about her Hallmark Channel original movie Love on a Limb on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah stops by Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tim Daly (Wings) - Tim talks about Madam Secretary on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Sara Rue (Impastor/Less Than Perfect) and Michael Rosenbaum (Impastor) - Sara and Michael talks about Season 2 of TV Land's Impastor on People Now at 8:30am.