Monday, July 02, 2012
The very popular family sitcom Who's the Boss? is returning to cable starting...today! TV Guide Network has acquired the cable rights to the long-running 1984-1992 ABC sitcom starring Tony Danza, Judith Light, Alyssa Milano, Danny Pintauro and Katherine Helmond. The series will air back-to-back episodes at 6:00pm & 6:30pm starting tonight, Monday, July 2, 2012. It will also air at times at 1:00am when a movie doesn't run long, so check listings. The sitcom was last seen on cable on The Hallmark Channel for one year from May 2010 to April 2011. So, after little over a year the sitcom is back on television!
The sitcom will follow back-to-back episodes of Designing Women at 5:00pm & 5:30pm, which remains in the hour. Who's the Boss? will lead into back-to-back episodes of Dharma & Greg at 7:00pm & 7:30pm for a nice block of comedy. Other comedies airing on the network are: more Designing Women (10:00am & 10:30am), Ugly Betty (1pm & 2pm), Samantha Who? (3:00pm), Ned & Stacey (3:30pm), Caroline in the City (4:00pm) and the return of Cybill (4:30pm). TV Guide Network is still also airing dramas Early Edition (11:00am) and The Guardian (12:00pm & 12:00am) on weekdays. Weeds (1:30am & 5am) and Curb Your Enthusiasm (4:00am) air sporadically.
On the series, former professional athlete Tony Micelli (Tony Danza) and his daughter Samantha (Alyssa Milano) arrive at the upscale, suburban household of executive Angela Bower (Judith Light), where Tony has taken a job as live-in housekeeper. When they arrive, Angela is uptight and obsessed with her work. Her son Jonathan (Danny Pintauro) is shy and lacks self-esteem, and her mother, Mona (Katherine Helmond), is a man-hungry vixen. Tony eventually wins them over with his laid back style, and the Bowers soon begin to loosen up.
FX's biggest night of comedy ever also proved to be one of cable's biggest nights of comedy ever as Anger Management set ratings records for a primetime scripted comedy series premiere, while Wilfred and Louie returned to the network with significant growth over their prior seasons, and FX's entry into the late night arena, BrandX with Russell Brand, got off to a strong start. Thursday, June 28 marked the most-watched Thursday night (prime, 8-11 PM) in FX's 18-year history in both Total Viewers (3.05 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.54 million). Thursday night's series debut of Anger Management (9:00 PM) was the most-watched primetime scripted comedy series premiere in cable history in delivery of Adults 18-49 (2.65 million, 2.1 A18-49 rating), and Total Viewers (5.47 million, excluding children's programming). It also ranks as the most-watched series premiere in FX history in Total Viewers.
Episode 2 of Anger Management (9:30 PM) grew to 5.74 million Total Viewers, and the demo also grew in the second half hour to 2.89 million A18-49 (2.3 A18-49 rating). While the two episode premiere was the highest rated basic cable premiere for a comedy series, the BET premiere of The Game in January 2011 was might higher doing 7.68 million and a 3.6 A18-49 rating for its one-hour season premiere. So Anger Management didn't set a record for a original comedy on basic cable, it just did it for a series premiere. But this is still pretty good. Combined with the encore telecasts (1:00 and 1:30 AM), the series premiere episode of Anger Management delivered a total audience of 6.21 million viewers and 3.11 million Adults 18-49, and the second episode drew 6.45 million viewers and 3.29 million Adults 18-49.
Episode 2 of Anger Management at (9:30 PM) ranked as the top-rated program on television (broadcast or cable) on Thursday in delivery of Adults 18-49 and Men 18-49, and in cable in delivery of Total Viewers, Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34 (1.24 million) and Adults 25-54 (3.22 million). The series premiere (9:00 PM) ranked #2 on television (broadcast or cable) on Thursday in delivery of Adults 18-49 and Men 18-49, and #2 among all cable programs Thursday night in Total Viewers, Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34, and Adults 25-54.
Anger Management moves to its regularly scheduled time period of Thursdays at 9:30 PM ET/PT beginning this week: Thursday. July ). FX will repeat its pilot and second episode also this Thursday at 8:30PM and 9:00PM, respectively.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, February 27
The Big Bang Theory - "The Dependence Transcedence" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Tensions rise when the boys struggle to complete their government project on time and Sheldon tries an energy drink to stay awake. Also, Penny and Amy go to a “party” at Bert (Brian Posehn) the geologist’s house, and Kooothrappali learns Bernadette’s true feelings about her pregnancy when they clean out the future baby room. Dean Norris returns as Air Force Representative Colonel Williams.
Man with a Plan - "Assisted Living" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Adam's parents visit unannounced, they reveal surprising plans for their future living arrangements. Emmy Award winner Swoosie Kurtz and Stacy Keach guest star as Bev and Joe, Adam and Don’s parents.
Superior Donuts - "Takin' It to the Streets" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Franco and Sweatpants discover their new landlord, Fawz, wants to convert their apartment building into luxury condos, they decide to organize a protest. Also, Randy realizes she needs to be nicer to James in order to get a good recommendation for her sergeant’s exam.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Dad Day Afternoon" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Han’s new therapist suggests that Max needs to confront her “daddy issues” and fear of intimacy, she reluctantly heads to Rhode Island to track down her birth father with the diner gang in tow. Also, Oleg is up in arms when Sophie wants him to help out around the house.
Monday, February 27
- Keri Russell (Running Wilde) - Watch Keri on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Slink Johnson (Black Jesus) - Slick is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) - Adam drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. He also talks about The Arrangement on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- David Hyde Pierce (Frasier) - David chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Leighton Meester (Making History) - Leighton stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- John Lithgow (Trial & Error/Twenty Good Years/3rd Rock from the Sun) - John talks about Trial & Error on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 1:30pm.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy dishes on how This is Us is following in Mike & Molly’s footsteps – and why both shows are so beloved on People Now at 8:30am.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) and Craig Robinson (The Office) - Lisa and Craig talk about their new film Table 19 on the AOL Build Show at 2:30pm.
- Sinbad (A Different World/The Sinbad Show) - Sinbad is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife) - Bradley visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Craig Robinson (The Office/Mr. Robinson) - Craig appears on The Real, so check your local listings.