Friday, July 13, 2012
ABC News and People's Best in TV: The Greatest TV Shows of Our Time; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 16, 2012)
ABC News and People Magazine are joining forces for their second special about the "best." In March 2011, ABC and People brought us the special ABC News and People's Best in Film: The Greatest Films of Our Time hosted by Tom Bergeron and Cynthia McFadden. Now ABC and People will bring us Best in TV: The Greatest TV Shows of Our Time! The film version brought in over seven million viewers during a two-hour special for ABC and did decent, so perhaps a TV one will do even better? Who better to host this than one of the best all-time people on TV? The legendary Barbara Walters has been tapped to host this two-hour special. There will be fifteen different categories to vote on. For example, the nominees for best TV comedy: All in the Family, Cheers, I Love Lucy, Seinfeld, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, M*A*S*H, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Cosby Show, The Honeymooners, and The Simpsons.
What are the greatest television shows of all time? Who are our favorite TV mom and dad? Who is our favorite television host of all time? It is America's turn to decide, as a collaboration between ABC News and People Magazine gives TV fans the opportunity to vote online at www.bestintelevision.com for their favorites of all time. The results will be revealed during an unprecedented two-hour broadcast hosted by Barbara Walters in September 2012, in conjunction with ABC's live broadcast of the Emmy Awards on Sunday, Sept. 23. The program will include many classic clips from America's favorite shows, fresh interviews with some of the stars and directors of the winning television series, as well as outtakes, screen tests and rarely seen behind-the-scenes footage. Also, a panel of pop culture and television experts, including several editors and writers from People, will weigh in with their thoughts and memories.
The list of nominees was created after a focus group of several dozen of the industry's leading actors, directors, producers and TV journalists narrowed the field in a preliminary ballot from hundreds of popular shows both old and new. That panel of all-star voters included editors from People and Emmy winners and luminaries like Norman Lear, James L. Brooks, Stephen Bochco, Shonda Rhimes, Chuck Lorre, Tim Allen, Ryan Seacrest, Valerie Harper, and Eric Stonestreet. (View the list of the all-star preliminary vote panelists) Now it's time to for you to pick your favorites, share with your friends and help decide what is truly the Best in TV.
Start voting today and see if your picks are what was chosen by many others! While on the site, television fans also have the opportunity to view clips, slide shows and interviews. Voting is open through July 23. We'll bring you an official air date when we get word, so stay tuned.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of July 16-20, 2012, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, July 16, 2012
- Charlie Sheen (Anger Management/Two and a Half Men) - Watch Charlie on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Jay Mohr (Gary Unmarried/Action) - Jay stops by The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan visits Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt (3rd Rock From the Sun) - Joseph appears on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jenny McCarthy (Two and a Half Men/Jenny) - Jenny is a guest on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Denis Leary (The Job) - Denis drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Kristin Davis (Sex and the City) - Tune in to see Kristin on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Blair Underwood (The New Adventures of Old Christine) - Blair appears on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Marilu Henner (Taxi) - Marilu is a guest on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Mark Feurstein (Good Morning, Miami) - Mark visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Niecy Nash (The Soul Man/The Cleveland Show) - Niecy chats on ABC's Good Morning America at 2pm.
- Raven-Symoné (That's So Raven/Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/The Cosby Show) - Raven is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America at 2pm.
- Roseanne Barr (Roseanne) - Catch Roseanne on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Thomas Haden Church (Wings) - Thomas drops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Cedric the Entertainer (The Soul Man/The Steve Harvey Show) - Cedric appears on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jimmie Walker (Good Times) - Jimmie visits Tavis Smiley on PBS, but check listings for time.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Brooke Shields (Suddenly Susan) - Brooke appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Tiffani Amber Thiessen (Saved by the Bell) - Tiffani stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- John Stamos (Full House/Jake in Progress), Kristin Davis (Sex and the City, Cybill Shepherd - John, Kristin and Cybill are guests on ABC's Good Afternoon America between 7-9am.
- D.L. Hughley (The Hughleys) - D.L. is a guest on ABC's Good Afternoon America at 2pm.
- Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond) - Watch Ray on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan continues to make the rounds on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Alan Thicke (Growing Pains) - Alan guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Jason appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Catch Woody on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Charlie Sheen (Anger Management/Two and a Half Men) - Charlie continues to make the rounds on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- James Van Der Beek (Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23) - James appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Roseanne Barr (Roseanne) - Roseanne guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Watch Jason on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- John Stamos (Full House/Jake in Progress) - John appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Victoria Justice (Victorious/Zoey 101) - Victoria is a musical guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Eric McCormack (Will & Grace) - Eric visits Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 22
Superstore - "Guns, Pills and Birds" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Amy (America Ferrera) assigns an uncomfortable Jonah (Ben Feldman) to the gun section of Cloud 9, Jonah abuses his right-to-refuse sale to anyone that causes concern, causing an open-carry protest to gather in the store. On principle, Glenn (Mark McKinney) attempts to purchase all of the store's morning-after pills, but finds himself in a moral dilemma when he can't afford them. Dina (Lauren Ash), Garrett (Colton Dunn) and Mateo (Nico Santos) hunt down a crow that has flown into the store.
The Thundermans - "Happy Heroween" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It's a major Halloween storm outside, but inside Colosso keeps the family spooked by telling three scary stories that are sure to terrify even the bravest of superheroes.
School of Rock - "Welcome to My Nightmare" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Mr. Finn's class decides to celebrate Halloween in school after Principal Mullins, who hates the holiday, goes home sick. When she returns sooner than expected, they have to scramble to keep her from finding out the truth.
Saturday, October 22
- Jim J. Bullock (Too Close for Comfort) - Jim talks about touring the U.S. in Kinky Boots on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.