Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Fox has set the fall premiere dates for its new and returning series. The 2012-2013 season begins with the spectacular return of The X Factor, last fall's No. 1 new unscripted series. The hit music competition series, featuring Simon Cowell, Britney Spears, L.A. Reid and Demi Lovato, will launch with a two-night season premiere event on Wednesday, Sept. 12 from 8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT and Thursday, Sept. 13 from 8-9PM ET/PT). Featuring new cast members including Kate Hudson and Sarah Jessica Parker in multi-episode story arcs, the fourth season of Glee launches on a new night and time Thursday, Sept. 13 at 9:00 PM ET/PT, following The X Factor. With McKinley's senior class graduated and Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) off to NYADA, change is in the air this fall for the Glee club.
Fan-favorite Bones will enter its eighth season on Monday, Sept. 17 at 8:00 PM ET/PT, followed by the series premiere of the compelling new drama The Mob Doctor at 9:00 PM ET/PT. The Mob Doctor stars Jordana Spiro (My Boys) as a brilliant, life-saving surgeon indebted to the mob.
It's two for Tuesday, Sept. 25, when New Girl returns for Season Two with two all-new episodes - a special episode at 8:00 PM ET/PT and the season premiere at 9:00 PM ET/PT - and two new comedies, Ben and Kate at 8:30 PM ET/PT and The Mindy Project at 9:30 PM ET/PT, join the Tuesday comedy block. Ben and Kate stars newcomer Dakota Johnson and Nat Faxon (Bad Teacher, Academy Award-winning co-screenwriter of The Descendants) as a pair of odd-couple siblings - one a responsible single mom; the other a youthful free spirit - who reunite to help raise Kate's daughter, Maddie (Maggie Jones, We Bought A Zoo). Created and written by Mindy Kaling (The Office), The Mindy Project stars Kaling as a skilled OB/GYN trying to balance both her personal and professional life. The following week, on Tuesday, Oct. 2 at 8:00 PM ET/PT, Raising Hope returns to the Tuesday night lineup with all-new misadventures of the Chance family.
Fringe returns for an unparalleled fifth and final season Friday, Sept. 28 at 9:00 PM ET/PT, following an all-new episode of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares at 8:00 PM ET/PT. Three episodes will air for three weeks in a row before Touch, starring Kiefer Sutherland and Maria Bello (Prime Suspect, A History of Violence), makes its Season Two debut Friday, Oct. 26 at 8:00 PM ET/PT.
Sundays get animated beginning Sept. 30, with the season premieres of The Simpsons at 8:00 PM ET/PT, Bob's Burgers at 8:30 PM ET/PT, Family Guy at 9:00 PM ET/PT and American Dad at 9:30 PM ET/PT. Then, on Sunday, Oct. 7 at 7:30 PM ET/PT, The Cleveland Show rejoins the Animation Domination lineup.
View the full premiere date list and more notes.
Moving on, we haven't blogged about this yet, but our good friend Chris Mann of Retroality.tv has posted episodes 11 and 12 of his podcast Reimagine That! Both episodes feature an interview with Greg Lott, Farrah Fawcett's secret longtime lover. He
opens up in this Retroality.TV exclusive about Ryan O'Neal's contentious new tell-all book, Both of Us. Here, in the first segment of his explosive three-part interview, Lott -- who famously confronted O'Neal in public on camera after the Love Story star reportedly barred Lott from contacting Farrah in her final months in spring 2009 -- strongly refutes O'Neal's less-than-flattering written portrayal of Fawcett, the celebrated Tinseltown couple's tumultuous relationship and her role in raising their troubled son, Redmond, now 27.
Fawcett's college sweetheart before the ethereal beauty left The University of Texas for Hollywood stardom in 1968, Lott lost touch with the iconic TV angel-turned-Emmy-nominated Burning Bed and Golden Globe-nominated Extremities star during his two incarcerations on drug trafficking charges in the early 1970s and early 1980s. Lott resumed contact with Farrah during her separation from Lee Majors in the late 1970s and again following her split with O'Neal in the late 1990s. As documented by Farrah's love letters to Lott, the longtime friends maintained a private love affair during the final 11 years of her life.
In this installment of Lott's in-depth interview, the onetime UT Longhorn football star also sounds off on controversy surrounding Ryan O'Neal's 2008 felony drug-possession arrest and subsequent guilty plea, Fawcett's living trust and Ryan's related legal troubles with The University of Texas, and Farrah's stormy relationship with producer-director James Orr, who was convicted in 1998 on a misdemeanor charge of beating Fawcett in 1997.
Also ... on a much lighter note, Chris spotlights two new Tinseltown tomes, Suzanne Sumner-Ferry's The Day the Stars Stood Still: A Memoir about Logan Fleming, the Former Top Wax Artist of Movieland Wax Museum and Patty Farmer's The Persian Room Presents: An Oral History of New York's Most Magical Night Spot.
Listen to episode 11 of Reimagine That!
In the second of three parts, Greg Lott opens up exclusively to Retroality.TV about his secret love affair with the late Farrah Fawcett, whom he first romanced in the mid-1960s during their tenure at the University of Texas.
Here, Lott tells how he was cut out of the TV angel's life -- reportedly by Ryan O'Neal -- two and a half months before the iconic actress succumbed to cancer on June 25, 2009. He also opens up about his role in the UT's investigation into Fawcett's estate -- namely, O'Neal's possession of a highly valuable Andy Warhol portrait of the Charlie's Angels star that the UT contends Fawcett bequeathed to her alma mater upon her death. (The UT sued O'Neal last year, demanding he relinquish the artwork, which the Love Story star contends he owns. That case is headed to trial this fall.) Lott also reveals his thoughts about Fawcett's friend Alana Stewart and questions the origin of the Stewart-helmed charity The Farrah Fawcett Foundation, which is currrently under investigation by the California Attorney General's Office of Charitable Trust.
On a lighter note ... host Chris Mann discusses the multi-generational allure of the 1978-91 TV hit Dallas (revived this month on TNT) and -- thanks to a Jenilee Harrison segue -- marvels at the ongoing youth appeal of the 1977-84 classic series Three's Company. As he prepares a special anniversary edition of his 1998 tell-all book Come and Knock on Our Door (due in late 2012 or, if 36th anniversaries count, 2013), Chris salutes the "next generation" of Company fans, including 14-year-old aspiring documentary filmmaker Isaiah Reaves, 23-year-old funnygal-slash-Chrissy Snow-spoofmeister Ashlee Anno and 30something radio producer/"Three's Company Throwdown" trivia king Andy Hermann.
Listen to episode 12 of Reimagine That!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (May)
05/05 - Cheers - The Complete Series
05/12 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete Fourth Season
05/12 - The Hotwives of Orlando - The Complete First Season
05/12 - Mister Ed - The Final (Sixth) Season (Shout! Factory)
05/19 - American Dad - Volume 10
05/19 - C.P.O. Sharkey - The Complete Season 1
05/19 - The Larry Sanders Show - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Season Nine (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Season Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Seasons Nine and Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Seasons Nine and Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - NewsRadio - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Welcome to Sweden - The Complete First Season
05/26 - Hello Ladies - Season 1
05/26 - The Nanny - The Complete Series
05/26 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Third Season
05/26 - The Wonder Years - Season Three
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 26
Your Family or Mine - "The Pantry" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Oliver finds Blake and Dani naked and has to get them of the house before anyone finds out. Shawni takes Kelli's old jean jacket and won't give it back. And Enzo helps Gil craft a letter to the "permit fascists" at the farmer's market.
Younger - "The Boy with the Dragon Tattoo" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
After a bedbug scare forces Liza into some uncomfortable and illuminating sleeping arrangements, she struggles to close the deal on her first literary find.
Mann & Wife - "Mann Bodyguard" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Daniel is hired as a bodyguard for a celebrity singer but the family loses patience quickly; Terri becomes friends with the mean girls at school and learns a lesson in the process.
Tuesday, May 26
- Tony Hale (Veep/Arrested Development) - Catch Tony on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Chelsea is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- John Slattery (Maggie/Ed) - John appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Becki Newton (Weird Loners/The Goodwin Games/How I Met Your Mother) - Becki is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub (How to Be a Gentleman/Veronica's Closet/The Larry Sanders Show) - Mary appears on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kevin Dillon (Entourage) - Kevin previews the much-anticipated film Entourage on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Brandy Norwood (The Game/Moesha/Thea) - Brandy talks about her Broadway debut in Chicago and performs Roxie on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Marlon Wayans (The Wayans Bros.) - Marlon drops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jerry Ferrara and Kevin Dillon (Entourage) - Jerry and Kevin talk about the new film Entourage on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am. Jerry will also be on in the 9am hour.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick appears on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Mario Cantone (Sex and the City) - Mario guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Raven-Symoné (That's So Raven/Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/The Cosby Show) - Raven-Symoné guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Fred Willard (Modern Family/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Fred will be on SportsNation at 3pm on ESPN2.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim is a guest on the AOL Build Show.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The New Class) - Mario appears on a repeat of The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Brooklyn Decker (Friends with Better Lives) - Brooklyn is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.