Saturday, May 05, 2012
Digital Digest: CBS Home Entertainment Revives Classics; Busy Pre-Fall Season for ABC Studios; Vega$ - The Third Season, Volume 1 DVD Review
That isn't all for CBS, though. According to this article, they also have Becker - The Fourth Season on the horizon, but it will be a CreateSpace MOD item from amazon.com. So, you won't find this in stores. In fact, we don't even know when it'll begin shipping as a MOD item, as no date is given. But as soon as we know more, we'll let you know.
Shout! Factory has been very busy with releases lately, and they have a few more of interest to us which were announced just this week. The first one is actually not that big of a surprise, as Shout! had previously announced that they had acquired it, but gave no date at the time. Well, now we have a date (and a pre-order listing) for a series which Sony had abandoned, with The Rookies - The Complete Second Season. It comes on August 7 at a $44.99 MSRP. On the same day, Shout! has a value-priced collection of the classic sitcom Dennis the Menace with their release of Dennis the Menace - 20 Timeless Episodes, a two disc set which comes at a very low $12.99 MSRP
Finally, we save for the end our "you knew it was coming, just a matter of it being announced" titles, or in other words, those DVDs of the current season of your favorite series. With the 2011-2012 TV season beginning to wrap up, it is about time that we get some announcements, and ABC Studios made plenty of them this week. These begin on August 21, with the release of Revenge - The Complete First Season. The following week, on August 28, comes Once Upon a Time - The Complete First Season, but this will be available not only on DVD, but also Blu-ray! Hopefully, that release will sell on Blu-ray, because ABC Studios has been a studio which often tends to try a season on Blu-ray and abandon it, which is what happened when one season of Grey's Anatomy was released on the high-definition format. But speaking of Grey's Anatomy, yet another week later, on September 4, look for Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Eighth Season... but only on DVD! The spinoff of that series isn't too far off, because if you move ahead just one more week to September 11, you'll get Private Practice - The Complete Fifth Season. Naturally, with four consecutive weeks of releases, you've got to expect a fifth one, and you'll actually get two of them on September 18, with Castle - The Complete Fourth Season and Body of Proof - The Complete Second Season. All of this DVD madness from ABC ends on September 25 with Desperate Housewives - The Complete Eighth and Final Season. But if that isn't enough, you'll also be able to own Desperate Housewives - The Complete Series on the same day! That one isn't available to order yet, though.
A nun is determined to turn the Desert Inn into a convent in "Deadly Blessing." In "Christmas Story," Dan's vacation at a ski trip comes with a surprise which is of Maury Povich paternity test proportions. An ex-addict takes vengance on Dan by poisoning his food and drugging him with heroin in "Andreas Addiction." In "Sourdough Suite," a prospector losing a satchel of money could be dangerous for Dan. Beatrice witnesses a murder while flying over a luxurious home in "Murder by Mirrors." Finally, in "Backlash," a mother hires Dan to find out why her grown daughter goes out at night dressed like a teenager.
The episodes all appear to be unedited, with very consistent runtimes floating around 49:20 per episode (none are abnormally short). The exact runtimes are as follows:
1. "Aloha, You're Dead" (1:34:04)
2. "Black Cat Killer" (49:21)
3. "Sudden Death" (49:22)
5. "A Deadly Victim" (49:19)
6. "Deadly Blessing" (49:16)
7. "Christmas Story" (49:21)
9. "Sourdough Suite" (49:23)
10. "Murder by Mirrors" (49:20)
11. "Backlash" (49:22)
The only special feature on the set is very minimal, but nice to have. There are original episode promos for all of the episodes, which you can play before the beginning of the episode or play all of the ones for each disc from the main menu. These all run around 34 seconds per episode.
There really isn't a whole lot to be said about the website to actually describe it, but the feature which it is most often used for (and it handles it very well) is creating an online inventory of a home media library. Creating an account on the website is very easy (oh, and free, that is very important!), and once you have an account, it is easy to add your DVDs to your online collection, either by entering the title or UPC from the DVD. Once you add the DVD, you get a complete inventory which has full details of all of your titles listed, even including episode titles for your TV series releases (the website handles all DVDs, even those ones which you probably wouldn't want the world to know that you own, but we are mostly interested in the TV releases here). It's really easy to do, and you can share what you own with the whole world.
My personal experience with the website has been pretty good. You can check out some of my vast collection here, as an example. I have not even come close to entering my entire collection, but I was able to enter nearly 500 DVD sets (probably about half of my entire collection, which shows that I probably own too many!) in less than an hour, attesting to how easy the site is to use. So if you have a DVD collection, no matter how small or large, it is well worth the $0 investment that this site requires to have it all organized online, and to make this site not only your Click of the Week, but your click for every time you add a new title to your collection!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, March 26
The Simpsons - "Dad Behavior" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Homer finds a new app that makes his life much easier and outsources his father-son bonding. Meanwhile, Grampa finds that he is about to be a father again.
Bob's Burgers - "Aquaticism" / "Ain't Miss Debatin'" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
When Tina learns that the aquarium is in danger of closing, the Belcher children devise a scheme to keep it running. Meanwhile, Bob realizes that he could learn a thing or two from Linda’s customer service skills. Then, when Tina is recruited by the debate team, she finds unexpected success and an even more unexpected relationship. Meanwhile, Louise and Gene convince their parents to help fund a stop-motion movie focusing on a surprising subject matter.
Making History - "Chadwick's Angels" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
In need of a victory, the trio heads back to the 1990s to give Dan another shot at his childhood dream: finishing the infamous “Bellybuster” ice cream sundae at a local parlor. As Deb bonds with the parlor’s owner, Chris is on a mission to save a life in honor of his late British friend. But all of their plans are derailed when Dan runs into the bully that tormented him.
Family Guy - "Peter's Lost Youth" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Peter gets jealous of Lois when she upstages him at a Red Sox fantasy baseball camp. Meanwhile, Stewie runs away from home when Meg is left to babysit him.
The Last Man on Earth - "Find This Thing We Need To" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Carol makes a big discovery, enlisting Tandy and Erica to help her track down some answers. Meanwhile, Todd has a major breakthrough with Melissa.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.