Saturday, May 05, 2012
Digital Digest: CBS Home Entertainment Revives Classics; Busy Pre-Fall Season for ABC Studios; Vega$ - The Third Season, Volume 1 DVD Review
That isn't all for CBS, though. According to this article, they also have Becker - The Fourth Season on the horizon, but it will be a CreateSpace MOD item from amazon.com. So, you won't find this in stores. In fact, we don't even know when it'll begin shipping as a MOD item, as no date is given. But as soon as we know more, we'll let you know.
Shout! Factory has been very busy with releases lately, and they have a few more of interest to us which were announced just this week. The first one is actually not that big of a surprise, as Shout! had previously announced that they had acquired it, but gave no date at the time. Well, now we have a date (and a pre-order listing) for a series which Sony had abandoned, with The Rookies - The Complete Second Season. It comes on August 7 at a $44.99 MSRP. On the same day, Shout! has a value-priced collection of the classic sitcom Dennis the Menace with their release of Dennis the Menace - 20 Timeless Episodes, a two disc set which comes at a very low $12.99 MSRP
Finally, we save for the end our "you knew it was coming, just a matter of it being announced" titles, or in other words, those DVDs of the current season of your favorite series. With the 2011-2012 TV season beginning to wrap up, it is about time that we get some announcements, and ABC Studios made plenty of them this week. These begin on August 21, with the release of Revenge - The Complete First Season. The following week, on August 28, comes Once Upon a Time - The Complete First Season, but this will be available not only on DVD, but also Blu-ray! Hopefully, that release will sell on Blu-ray, because ABC Studios has been a studio which often tends to try a season on Blu-ray and abandon it, which is what happened when one season of Grey's Anatomy was released on the high-definition format. But speaking of Grey's Anatomy, yet another week later, on September 4, look for Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Eighth Season... but only on DVD! The spinoff of that series isn't too far off, because if you move ahead just one more week to September 11, you'll get Private Practice - The Complete Fifth Season. Naturally, with four consecutive weeks of releases, you've got to expect a fifth one, and you'll actually get two of them on September 18, with Castle - The Complete Fourth Season and Body of Proof - The Complete Second Season. All of this DVD madness from ABC ends on September 25 with Desperate Housewives - The Complete Eighth and Final Season. But if that isn't enough, you'll also be able to own Desperate Housewives - The Complete Series on the same day! That one isn't available to order yet, though.
A nun is determined to turn the Desert Inn into a convent in "Deadly Blessing." In "Christmas Story," Dan's vacation at a ski trip comes with a surprise which is of Maury Povich paternity test proportions. An ex-addict takes vengance on Dan by poisoning his food and drugging him with heroin in "Andreas Addiction." In "Sourdough Suite," a prospector losing a satchel of money could be dangerous for Dan. Beatrice witnesses a murder while flying over a luxurious home in "Murder by Mirrors." Finally, in "Backlash," a mother hires Dan to find out why her grown daughter goes out at night dressed like a teenager.
The episodes all appear to be unedited, with very consistent runtimes floating around 49:20 per episode (none are abnormally short). The exact runtimes are as follows:
1. "Aloha, You're Dead" (1:34:04)
2. "Black Cat Killer" (49:21)
3. "Sudden Death" (49:22)
5. "A Deadly Victim" (49:19)
6. "Deadly Blessing" (49:16)
7. "Christmas Story" (49:21)
9. "Sourdough Suite" (49:23)
10. "Murder by Mirrors" (49:20)
11. "Backlash" (49:22)
The only special feature on the set is very minimal, but nice to have. There are original episode promos for all of the episodes, which you can play before the beginning of the episode or play all of the ones for each disc from the main menu. These all run around 34 seconds per episode.
There really isn't a whole lot to be said about the website to actually describe it, but the feature which it is most often used for (and it handles it very well) is creating an online inventory of a home media library. Creating an account on the website is very easy (oh, and free, that is very important!), and once you have an account, it is easy to add your DVDs to your online collection, either by entering the title or UPC from the DVD. Once you add the DVD, you get a complete inventory which has full details of all of your titles listed, even including episode titles for your TV series releases (the website handles all DVDs, even those ones which you probably wouldn't want the world to know that you own, but we are mostly interested in the TV releases here). It's really easy to do, and you can share what you own with the whole world.
My personal experience with the website has been pretty good. You can check out some of my vast collection here, as an example. I have not even come close to entering my entire collection, but I was able to enter nearly 500 DVD sets (probably about half of my entire collection, which shows that I probably own too many!) in less than an hour, attesting to how easy the site is to use. So if you have a DVD collection, no matter how small or large, it is well worth the $0 investment that this site requires to have it all organized online, and to make this site not only your Click of the Week, but your click for every time you add a new title to your collection!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 22
Superstore - "Guns, Pills and Birds" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Amy (America Ferrera) assigns an uncomfortable Jonah (Ben Feldman) to the gun section of Cloud 9, Jonah abuses his right-to-refuse sale to anyone that causes concern, causing an open-carry protest to gather in the store. On principle, Glenn (Mark McKinney) attempts to purchase all of the store's morning-after pills, but finds himself in a moral dilemma when he can't afford them. Dina (Lauren Ash), Garrett (Colton Dunn) and Mateo (Nico Santos) hunt down a crow that has flown into the store.
The Thundermans - "Happy Heroween" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It's a major Halloween storm outside, but inside Colosso keeps the family spooked by telling three scary stories that are sure to terrify even the bravest of superheroes.
School of Rock - "Welcome to My Nightmare" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Mr. Finn's class decides to celebrate Halloween in school after Principal Mullins, who hates the holiday, goes home sick. When she returns sooner than expected, they have to scramble to keep her from finding out the truth.
Saturday, October 22
- Jim J. Bullock (Too Close for Comfort) - Jim talks about touring the U.S. in Kinky Boots on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.