Monday, April 30, 2012
Yes, Dear Joins Nick at Nite Schedule On May 1; NBC Pulls Best Friends Forever, Gives Community 3-Episode Finale
As we broke back last year, Nick at Nite has acquired the rights to air the Mike O'Malley sitcom Yes, Dear. The 2000-06 sitcom will start airing tomorrow, Tuesday, May 1, 2012! Yes, a short notice as I don't think it was being planned this early in 2012. Why do I say that because TBS will still air the sitcom weekdays 12-1pm and in a Saturday morning block anytime between 8:30am-12pm. However, TBS will be removing the series from its schedule beginning in July, but we will save that news for another day. Today it is all about Nick at Nite adding the series! Nick at Nite's line-up of modern comedies expands on Tuesday, May 1 to include the complete library of the beloved series Yes, Dear. This 122-episode family comedy stars Mike O'Malley (Glee, GUTS) and follows two couples and their wildly divergent parenting styles. Yes, Dear will air regularly on the network Monday-Friday at 11:00 & 11:30 p.m. ET/PT. The series will also encore at approx. 2:30am & 3:00am.
What about the rest of the line-up? That '70s Show will move from 10-11pm to 8-9pm to start the line-up off replacing My Wife & Kids. From 9-10pm, George Lopez will remain in the time period. From 10-11pm with '70s moving to 8-9pm, Friends will slide into the hour. Then as we mentioned, Yes, Dear will air in the 11pm hour, as Friends will not air in a two-hour block anymore. Not to worry though as Friends will still have a second hour from 12-1am, it is just that it won't be in a two-hour block. The late night schedule will have an encore of George Lopez from 1-2am, replacing the '70s Show encore. At 2am, the half-hour Everybody Hates Chris will remain. At 2:30am and 3:00am, as we mentioned Yes, Dear will encore replacing George Lopez, which of course is moving up to 1-2am. My Wife & Kids is also losing its late night hour, as The Nanny gets two more airings at 3:30am and 4am. The Nanny will also remain at 4:30am leading now into Family Matters from 5-7am (but that's just three airings due to the off-the-clock timings for the network after 11pm).
Nick at Nite has not announced its weekend plans yet, so this is just for Mon-Fri, as we won't know if My Wife & Kids is off the line-up completely until we know the weekend schedule. We will let you know if anything should change on weekends starting May 5. So stay tuned! For now view the Nick at Nite May 2012 weekday schedule.
NBC has pulled low rated single-camera comedy Best Friends Forever after just four episodes. There were just two episodes left to air, but NBC has decided it will air all-new episodes of the hidden camera series Betty White's Off Their Rockers for the full hour now. BFF was coming off a 0.8 rating in adults 18-49, which is very poor. Off Their Rockers does about double that rating and that is by no means a big hit even. In other NBC scheduling news, this season's last two original episodes of Community are being moved up a week to air on Thursday, May 17 at 9:00 & 9:30pm ET/PT. As a result, Awake, which was scheduled for a two-hour block, goes back to an hour at 10pm ET/PT on May 17 and the Awake finale is now the following week on May 24 at 10pm ET/PT. I'm 99.99% sure, Awake will never be seen on NBC after that airing due to low ratings, as that is also coming off a 0.8 18-49 rating this past Thursday. Community was originally set to have a one-hour season finale on May 24 from 8-9pm, but now instead it will be on May 17 at a special hour of 9-10pm. In addition, that night it will also air in its regular 8:00pm half-hour, too, so yes three all-new episodes that night! The Office and Parks & Recreation, which normally air in the 9pm hour, will have their finales early this season, airing May 10. Which NBC sitcoms will be back next season? I would bring back Community for one last season, cancel 30 Rock, renew The Office for possibly one last season, and bring back Parks & Recreation. And the only other NBC comedy left is Up All Night and I would cancel that. We shall know very soon as we are officially just two weeks away from the upfront season! Stay with us for continued updates!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, February 22
The Goldbergs - "So Swayze It's Crazy" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Adam sees his friend on television, he asks Beverly for her help to become an actor, so Beverly enlists his friend’s mom Edie, who is a kid talent agent in town. Unfortunately, Edie insists Adam can only get “nerd” roles, so Beverly goes on a quest to make Adam a teenage heartthrob. Meanwhile, Barry decides to embrace the punk lifestyle, and Murray attempts to become more involved in Erica’s life, but it backfires.
Speechless - "O-S-- OSCAR P-A-- PARTY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the Dimeos throw their annual Oscar party with other special-needs families, Maya feels threatened by new mom Becca, who seems a little too perfect. Meanwhile, Jimmy encourages the fathers at the party to let loose while Ray tries to impress a girl by pretending to be someone he is not.
Modern Family - "Heavy Is the Head" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Despite their lofty hopes, Phil and Jay’s property investment might turn out to be a bust, forcing Phil to rethink his original dream. Meanwhile, Cam lands in the hospital due to a head injury and refuses to have an MRI thanks to a traumatic incident with a well when he was a child. Determined to finally impress Claire and keep her from re-gifting her birthday present, Gloria surprises her with a day of luxury at the office. However, after Claire had to implement some rather harsh budget cuts at work, a massage at her desk may not be sending the right message.
black-ish - "One Angry Man" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre is forced to participate in jury duty after Junior responds to the summons that was thrown away. The case is supposed to be open and shut, but when Dre sees that the defendant is a young African American, he feels a civic responsibility to give him a fair trial. Meanwhile, Bow decides to let the kids swear in the house since they are more open with her that way, but she and Ruby soon regret the decision.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Tends Bar" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It's Valentine's Day and Paddy's is packed with customers. Dennis implores the gang to do one day of actual work but everyone else is distracted by a mystery crate Cricket spotted in the alley. Eventually, the gang becomes convinced Dennis really wants them to work on their relationships and everyone shares their grievances without much resolution.
Man Seeking Woman - "Dolphin" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
When her mom becomes obsessed with Josh's wedding, Liz seeks out her estranged father (Peter Gallagher).
Schitt's Creek - "General Store" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
David comes up with a new business venture; Alexis adjusts to her first day of school.
Wednesday, February 22
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and George Clooney (The Facts of Life/Roseanne) - Tom and George are guests on a repeat of the 2012 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ariana Grande (Sam & Cat) - Ariana drops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Kelly is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly)- Billy appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Ultimate Beastmaster on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2pm.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Matt Shively (The Real O'Neals/True Jackson, VP) - Matt is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Justin Bartha (The New Normal) - Justin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Will talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette dishes about the new season of SuperMansion on Crackle on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Mike Epps (Uncle Buck/Survivor's Remorse) - Mike is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Eva Longoria (Telenovela) - Eva chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.