Monday, April 30, 2012
Yes, Dear Joins Nick at Nite Schedule On May 1; NBC Pulls Best Friends Forever, Gives Community 3-Episode Finale
As we broke back last year, Nick at Nite has acquired the rights to air the Mike O'Malley sitcom Yes, Dear. The 2000-06 sitcom will start airing tomorrow, Tuesday, May 1, 2012! Yes, a short notice as I don't think it was being planned this early in 2012. Why do I say that because TBS will still air the sitcom weekdays 12-1pm and in a Saturday morning block anytime between 8:30am-12pm. However, TBS will be removing the series from its schedule beginning in July, but we will save that news for another day. Today it is all about Nick at Nite adding the series! Nick at Nite's line-up of modern comedies expands on Tuesday, May 1 to include the complete library of the beloved series Yes, Dear. This 122-episode family comedy stars Mike O'Malley (Glee, GUTS) and follows two couples and their wildly divergent parenting styles. Yes, Dear will air regularly on the network Monday-Friday at 11:00 & 11:30 p.m. ET/PT. The series will also encore at approx. 2:30am & 3:00am.
What about the rest of the line-up? That '70s Show will move from 10-11pm to 8-9pm to start the line-up off replacing My Wife & Kids. From 9-10pm, George Lopez will remain in the time period. From 10-11pm with '70s moving to 8-9pm, Friends will slide into the hour. Then as we mentioned, Yes, Dear will air in the 11pm hour, as Friends will not air in a two-hour block anymore. Not to worry though as Friends will still have a second hour from 12-1am, it is just that it won't be in a two-hour block. The late night schedule will have an encore of George Lopez from 1-2am, replacing the '70s Show encore. At 2am, the half-hour Everybody Hates Chris will remain. At 2:30am and 3:00am, as we mentioned Yes, Dear will encore replacing George Lopez, which of course is moving up to 1-2am. My Wife & Kids is also losing its late night hour, as The Nanny gets two more airings at 3:30am and 4am. The Nanny will also remain at 4:30am leading now into Family Matters from 5-7am (but that's just three airings due to the off-the-clock timings for the network after 11pm).
Nick at Nite has not announced its weekend plans yet, so this is just for Mon-Fri, as we won't know if My Wife & Kids is off the line-up completely until we know the weekend schedule. We will let you know if anything should change on weekends starting May 5. So stay tuned! For now view the Nick at Nite May 2012 weekday schedule.
NBC has pulled low rated single-camera comedy Best Friends Forever after just four episodes. There were just two episodes left to air, but NBC has decided it will air all-new episodes of the hidden camera series Betty White's Off Their Rockers for the full hour now. BFF was coming off a 0.8 rating in adults 18-49, which is very poor. Off Their Rockers does about double that rating and that is by no means a big hit even. In other NBC scheduling news, this season's last two original episodes of Community are being moved up a week to air on Thursday, May 17 at 9:00 & 9:30pm ET/PT. As a result, Awake, which was scheduled for a two-hour block, goes back to an hour at 10pm ET/PT on May 17 and the Awake finale is now the following week on May 24 at 10pm ET/PT. I'm 99.99% sure, Awake will never be seen on NBC after that airing due to low ratings, as that is also coming off a 0.8 18-49 rating this past Thursday. Community was originally set to have a one-hour season finale on May 24 from 8-9pm, but now instead it will be on May 17 at a special hour of 9-10pm. In addition, that night it will also air in its regular 8:00pm half-hour, too, so yes three all-new episodes that night! The Office and Parks & Recreation, which normally air in the 9pm hour, will have their finales early this season, airing May 10. Which NBC sitcoms will be back next season? I would bring back Community for one last season, cancel 30 Rock, renew The Office for possibly one last season, and bring back Parks & Recreation. And the only other NBC comedy left is Up All Night and I would cancel that. We shall know very soon as we are officially just two weeks away from the upfront season! Stay with us for continued updates!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, January 20
Last Man Standing - "A House Divided" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mike and Vanessa ask newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to tone down their constant displays of affection, Mandy agrees but only if her parents become more discreet in the way they express their feelings to each other. Meanwhile, Kristen gets Eve a gig playing at the Grill, but Ed wants to fire her after a lackluster performance.
Dr. Ken - "A Day in the Life" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Amy (guest star Yvette Nicole Brown), the producer of a documentary health series, follows Ken around to record a typical day at an HMO, giving Ken his big moment in the limelight. But much to Ken’s chagrin, a series of the less than thrilling day-to-day parts of the job at Welltopia leads Ken to doubt his own career choice.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.