Monday, April 30, 2012
Yes, Dear Joins Nick at Nite Schedule On May 1; NBC Pulls Best Friends Forever, Gives Community 3-Episode Finale
As we broke back last year, Nick at Nite has acquired the rights to air the Mike O'Malley sitcom Yes, Dear. The 2000-06 sitcom will start airing tomorrow, Tuesday, May 1, 2012! Yes, a short notice as I don't think it was being planned this early in 2012. Why do I say that because TBS will still air the sitcom weekdays 12-1pm and in a Saturday morning block anytime between 8:30am-12pm. However, TBS will be removing the series from its schedule beginning in July, but we will save that news for another day. Today it is all about Nick at Nite adding the series! Nick at Nite's line-up of modern comedies expands on Tuesday, May 1 to include the complete library of the beloved series Yes, Dear. This 122-episode family comedy stars Mike O'Malley (Glee, GUTS) and follows two couples and their wildly divergent parenting styles. Yes, Dear will air regularly on the network Monday-Friday at 11:00 & 11:30 p.m. ET/PT. The series will also encore at approx. 2:30am & 3:00am.
What about the rest of the line-up? That '70s Show will move from 10-11pm to 8-9pm to start the line-up off replacing My Wife & Kids. From 9-10pm, George Lopez will remain in the time period. From 10-11pm with '70s moving to 8-9pm, Friends will slide into the hour. Then as we mentioned, Yes, Dear will air in the 11pm hour, as Friends will not air in a two-hour block anymore. Not to worry though as Friends will still have a second hour from 12-1am, it is just that it won't be in a two-hour block. The late night schedule will have an encore of George Lopez from 1-2am, replacing the '70s Show encore. At 2am, the half-hour Everybody Hates Chris will remain. At 2:30am and 3:00am, as we mentioned Yes, Dear will encore replacing George Lopez, which of course is moving up to 1-2am. My Wife & Kids is also losing its late night hour, as The Nanny gets two more airings at 3:30am and 4am. The Nanny will also remain at 4:30am leading now into Family Matters from 5-7am (but that's just three airings due to the off-the-clock timings for the network after 11pm).
Nick at Nite has not announced its weekend plans yet, so this is just for Mon-Fri, as we won't know if My Wife & Kids is off the line-up completely until we know the weekend schedule. We will let you know if anything should change on weekends starting May 5. So stay tuned! For now view the Nick at Nite May 2012 weekday schedule.
NBC has pulled low rated single-camera comedy Best Friends Forever after just four episodes. There were just two episodes left to air, but NBC has decided it will air all-new episodes of the hidden camera series Betty White's Off Their Rockers for the full hour now. BFF was coming off a 0.8 rating in adults 18-49, which is very poor. Off Their Rockers does about double that rating and that is by no means a big hit even. In other NBC scheduling news, this season's last two original episodes of Community are being moved up a week to air on Thursday, May 17 at 9:00 & 9:30pm ET/PT. As a result, Awake, which was scheduled for a two-hour block, goes back to an hour at 10pm ET/PT on May 17 and the Awake finale is now the following week on May 24 at 10pm ET/PT. I'm 99.99% sure, Awake will never be seen on NBC after that airing due to low ratings, as that is also coming off a 0.8 18-49 rating this past Thursday. Community was originally set to have a one-hour season finale on May 24 from 8-9pm, but now instead it will be on May 17 at a special hour of 9-10pm. In addition, that night it will also air in its regular 8:00pm half-hour, too, so yes three all-new episodes that night! The Office and Parks & Recreation, which normally air in the 9pm hour, will have their finales early this season, airing May 10. Which NBC sitcoms will be back next season? I would bring back Community for one last season, cancel 30 Rock, renew The Office for possibly one last season, and bring back Parks & Recreation. And the only other NBC comedy left is Up All Night and I would cancel that. We shall know very soon as we are officially just two weeks away from the upfront season! Stay with us for continued updates!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, October 26
The Goldbergs - "Stefan King" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Adam’s love of Stephen King inspires him to try his hand at horror writing. After learning the monster in Adam’s story is based off Beverly, she forces Adam to stay in on Halloween and rewrite it, hoping he depicts her as a better mother. Meanwhile, Erica is desperate to find a date to the costume dance and forces Barry go with her.
Speechless - "H-A-L-- HALLOWEEN" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jimmy is upset the kids no longer want to participate in the family tradition of dressing up for Halloween. Maya tries to cheer up Jimmy by allowing him to do things he loves by taking things off the family “Dead to Me” list. Meanwhile, Ray recruits Dylan to help work the school’s haunted mansion while Kenneth is scared of losing his job when JJ gets drunk at a party. Even though Maya is furious, she is thrilled to see JJ having a “normal” life.
Modern Family - "Halloween 4: The Revenge of Rod Skyhook" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Luke’s Halloween party isn’t the monster bash he dreamed of and is at risk of having the worst party of the year. Sensing trouble, the rest of the Dunphy’s realize all his party needs is a visit from Rod Skyhook, a little promotion and some adult supervision to get it started. Meanwhile at the Tucker-Pritchett home, Cam faces off with his Halloween nemesis while Lily and Mitchell try to save the day and work to keep him from going to the darkside. Finally, when Jay finds out that Manny is going to a party at the home of an old enemy, he enlists him to deliver a trick he will never forget.
black-ish - "The Purge" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
After Junior embarrasses Dre during a basketball game, Dre decides to remind Junior of his master pranking skills so he’ll never challenge him again. Meanwhile, the neighborhood participates in a “mischief night” during Halloween where petty crimes become legal, and Ruby takes it too far with the kids.
Younger - "P Is for Pancake" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Kelsey dates a seemingly perfect guy, but Liza and Lauren think it’s too soon. At a party of doctors, Josh puts his relationship with Liza under the microscope.
Impastor - "Sins of the Past-or Part 2" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Dora’s and Alexa’s lives are both in jeopardy and Buddy must choose which one to save. Russell and Dora have a falling out. Schmidt is robbed.
You're the Worst - "The Seventh Layer" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Vernon and Paul take a road trip.
Wednesday, October 26
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Watch Joel on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) - Abbi visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. She will also be on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Colin Hanks (Life in Pieces) - Colin appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Colton Dunn (Superstore), Lauren Ash (Superstore/Super Fun Night and Nico Santos (Superstore) - Colton, Lauren and Nico are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Donald Glover (Atlanta/Community) - Donald appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - See what happens when Dr. Oz visits the set of Dr. Ken on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John talks about The Crown on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Boris Kodjoe (The Last Man on Earth/Second Time Around) - Boris joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Issa Rae (Insecure) - Issa is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Colin Hanks (Life in Pieces) - Colin talks about Life in Pieces on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Betsy Brandt (Life in Pieces/The Michael J. Fox Show) - Betsy talks about Life in PieceS on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.