Monday, March 12, 2012
TV Land Changes Cedric Sitcom Name To The Soul Man, Schedules Retired at 35; Just My Show Talks To Bill Kirchenbauer About Kirk Cameron's Comments
TV Land has changed the name of the upcoming Hot in Cleveland spin-off series starring Cedric the Entertainer. The sitcom was titled Have Faith, but now TV Land has changed it to The Soul Man. Like the Have Faith title, this is not to be confused with another sitcom (Soul Man, 1997-98 on ABC).
The Soul Man is TV Land's newest original sitcom, created by Cedric "The Entertainer" and Hot in Cleveland creator Suzanne Martin. The show revolves around Cedric's character, Reverend Boyce "The Voice" Ballentine, an R&B superstar-turned-minister who takes over as preacher of his father's church. Niecy Nash (Reno 911, Dancing with the Stars) also stars as the reverend's wife, Lolli. The character of Reverend Boyce originated on a second season episode of Hot in Cleveland in which Cedric guest starred.
The Soul Man is slated to premiere on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 10:00pm and will have a 12-episode order. The series will be paired with the second season of The Exes, which also returns on June 13 at 10:30pm, as previously announced for June. TV Land's current Wednesdays at 10:00pm & 10:30pm line-up is Hot in Cleveland season three and Happily Divorced season two and both will conclude their seasons on Wednesday, June 6 -- a week before the premieres of The Soul Man and The Exes. We also have another scoop for you. TV Land has finally scheduled another date for the second season of Retired at 35. It will now premiere on Tuesday, June 26 at 10:00pm, as previously it was going to air Wednesdays in March then later changed to Wednesdays in June. So TV Land is starting a second night of original comedy with Tuesdays being added. As of now, nothing will be paired with Retired. If you forgot, Retired at 35 follows a successful businessman (Johnathan McClain) who decides to chuck the New York City rat race... and retires to Florida, three decades ahead of time! He ends up moving into his parents’ Florida condominium, joining his pop (George Segal) in a brand new world of sunshine and fun, from slow-moving softball games to really early dinners. Mom (Jessica Walter) and a cast of characters look on skeptically as father and son bond again, new-found buddies enjoying the glories of total irresponsibility!
We will have more info on all of TV Land's original comedies when official announcements come in, so stay tuned!
I think everyone has heard about the comments that Kirk Cameron has made, so I won't get into that into detail (if you don't read the link below). Our buddy Eric from Just My Show invited a former Growing Pains actor and previous Just My Show guest to share his thoughts on the situation. Actor and comedian Bill Kirchenbauer played the recurring role of Coach Graham Lubbock, Mike Seaver's teacher and occasional mentor, before starring in the Growing Pains spin-off Just the Ten of Us.
"When I first started working on the show, Kirk was a very nice well mannered young man who seemed to have his ego in check. Some time after he turned religious, he then started doing things like getting Julie McCoullough fired because he thought her to be an immoral young girl because of her appearance in Playboy. Not very Christian like..." That's just a bit of what Bill had to say about Kirk Cameron on Just My Show. Read the full statement and read about this Kirk Cameron story on Just My Show.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August)
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/20 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 5th Season
07/26 - Family Matters - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
08/02 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
08/09 - Maude - The Complete Final (Sixth) Season
08/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Three
08/23 - Superstore - Season One
08/23 - The Wonder Years - Complete Series (New Slipcase Version)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, August 25
The Big Bang Theory - "The Line Substitution Solution" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Sheldon hires Stuart to spend the day with Amy when he’d rather go to a movie screening. Also, Leonard’s mother, Beverly (Christine Baranski), comes to town and Penny struggles to make a connection with her.
Life in Pieces - "Prank Assistant Gum Puppy" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Feeling threatened by Jen’s very handsome new assistant, Jake (Gregg Sulkin), Greg tries to appear more masculine. Also, Heather and Tim pull a prank on Tyler’s school, Joan secretly lets Sophia chew gum even though Heather forbids it, and John takes his new puppy on a date with Colleen and her dog, Princess.
Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll - "Rolling in the Deep" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Someone from the band's past shows up as tension reaches an all time high.
Bunk'd - "Zuri Had a Little Lamb" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The boys find that Gladys has been hiding a secret in the woods; Lou assigns Emma and Zuri to barn duty.
Thursday, August 25
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Catch Alec on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tony Hale (Veep/Arrested Development) - Tony stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Chelsea visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. She also talks about Chelsea on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- David Krumholtz (Partners/The Trouble with Normal/Chicago Sons) - David is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jane Lynch (Angel from Hell) - Jane appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- George Lopez (Lopez/Saint George/George Lopez) - George chats with the ladies of The View on a repeat on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jason Ritter (Another Period/The Class) - Jason is a guest on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Joel guest co-hosts a repeat of LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Zachary Levi (Less Than Perfect) - Zachary appears on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12:07am on BET or on your local stations.
- Miriam Shor (Younger/Big Day/Inside Schwartz) - Miriam is a guest on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- John Krasinksi (The Office) - John talks about The Hollars on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- John Corbett (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll/United States of Tara) - John dishes on his comedy-drama series Northern Exposure on People Now at 8:30am.
- Reid Scott (Veep/My Boys) - Reid is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika discusses Southside with You on the AOL Build Show at 3pm and on Essence Live at 4pm.