Monday, March 12, 2012
TV Land Changes Cedric Sitcom Name To The Soul Man, Schedules Retired at 35; Just My Show Talks To Bill Kirchenbauer About Kirk Cameron's Comments
TV Land has changed the name of the upcoming Hot in Cleveland spin-off series starring Cedric the Entertainer. The sitcom was titled Have Faith, but now TV Land has changed it to The Soul Man. Like the Have Faith title, this is not to be confused with another sitcom (Soul Man, 1997-98 on ABC).
The Soul Man is TV Land's newest original sitcom, created by Cedric "The Entertainer" and Hot in Cleveland creator Suzanne Martin. The show revolves around Cedric's character, Reverend Boyce "The Voice" Ballentine, an R&B superstar-turned-minister who takes over as preacher of his father's church. Niecy Nash (Reno 911, Dancing with the Stars) also stars as the reverend's wife, Lolli. The character of Reverend Boyce originated on a second season episode of Hot in Cleveland in which Cedric guest starred.
The Soul Man is slated to premiere on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 10:00pm and will have a 12-episode order. The series will be paired with the second season of The Exes, which also returns on June 13 at 10:30pm, as previously announced for June. TV Land's current Wednesdays at 10:00pm & 10:30pm line-up is Hot in Cleveland season three and Happily Divorced season two and both will conclude their seasons on Wednesday, June 6 -- a week before the premieres of The Soul Man and The Exes. We also have another scoop for you. TV Land has finally scheduled another date for the second season of Retired at 35. It will now premiere on Tuesday, June 26 at 10:00pm, as previously it was going to air Wednesdays in March then later changed to Wednesdays in June. So TV Land is starting a second night of original comedy with Tuesdays being added. As of now, nothing will be paired with Retired. If you forgot, Retired at 35 follows a successful businessman (Johnathan McClain) who decides to chuck the New York City rat race... and retires to Florida, three decades ahead of time! He ends up moving into his parents’ Florida condominium, joining his pop (George Segal) in a brand new world of sunshine and fun, from slow-moving softball games to really early dinners. Mom (Jessica Walter) and a cast of characters look on skeptically as father and son bond again, new-found buddies enjoying the glories of total irresponsibility!
We will have more info on all of TV Land's original comedies when official announcements come in, so stay tuned!
I think everyone has heard about the comments that Kirk Cameron has made, so I won't get into that into detail (if you don't read the link below). Our buddy Eric from Just My Show invited a former Growing Pains actor and previous Just My Show guest to share his thoughts on the situation. Actor and comedian Bill Kirchenbauer played the recurring role of Coach Graham Lubbock, Mike Seaver's teacher and occasional mentor, before starring in the Growing Pains spin-off Just the Ten of Us.
"When I first started working on the show, Kirk was a very nice well mannered young man who seemed to have his ego in check. Some time after he turned religious, he then started doing things like getting Julie McCoullough fired because he thought her to be an immoral young girl because of her appearance in Playboy. Not very Christian like..." That's just a bit of what Bill had to say about Kirk Cameron on Just My Show. Read the full statement and read about this Kirk Cameron story on Just My Show.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 22
Superstore - "Guns, Pills and Birds" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Amy (America Ferrera) assigns an uncomfortable Jonah (Ben Feldman) to the gun section of Cloud 9, Jonah abuses his right-to-refuse sale to anyone that causes concern, causing an open-carry protest to gather in the store. On principle, Glenn (Mark McKinney) attempts to purchase all of the store's morning-after pills, but finds himself in a moral dilemma when he can't afford them. Dina (Lauren Ash), Garrett (Colton Dunn) and Mateo (Nico Santos) hunt down a crow that has flown into the store.
The Thundermans - "Happy Heroween" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It's a major Halloween storm outside, but inside Colosso keeps the family spooked by telling three scary stories that are sure to terrify even the bravest of superheroes.
School of Rock - "Welcome to My Nightmare" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Mr. Finn's class decides to celebrate Halloween in school after Principal Mullins, who hates the holiday, goes home sick. When she returns sooner than expected, they have to scramble to keep her from finding out the truth.
Saturday, October 22
- Jim J. Bullock (Too Close for Comfort) - Jim talks about touring the U.S. in Kinky Boots on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.