Wednesday, March 21, 2012
ABC Family Summer 2012 Schedule Has New Sitcom Baby Daddy; Network Notes Includes CBS Renews Many Series, NBC Summer 2012
On Mondays, as previously announced, ABC Family's longest running series The Secret Life of the American Teenager returns with all-new episodes next Monday, March 26 at 8:00PM ET/PT. This summer, The Secret Life of the American Teenager celebrates its fifth season (starting June 11) and 100th episode – a first for an ABC Family scripted series. Joining the drama this summer on Mondays will be the new original series Bunheads starting Monday, June 11 at 9:00PM ET/PT. Bunheads is the tale of a Las Vegas showgirl who impulsively marries a man, moves to his sleepy coastal town, and takes an uneasy role at her new mother-in-law's dance school.
On Tuesdays, even after "A" has been revealed, it is only the beginning of the mystery and lies for Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer when the hit original ABC Family series Pretty Little Liars returns for its season three premiere on Tuesday, June 5 at 8:00PM ET/PT. 24 all-new episodes have been ordered and it is expected that it will be split up into two halves, like ABC Family normally does. The hit drama will lead into ABC Family's original series Jane By Design, which will return with all eight new episodes for its second half starting Tuesday, June 5 at 9:00PM ET/PT.
And finally on Wednesdays, as we first broke, Melissa Joan Hart and Joey Lawrence return with 15 all-new episodes for the second season of their original sitcom Melissa & Joey with back-to-back episodes on Wednesday, May 30 at from 8:00PM–9:00PM ET/PT. The hit sitcom will lead into a new sitcom! The new half-hour comedy original series Baby Daddy premieres a few weeks later on Wednesday, June 20 at 8:30PM ET/PT after Melissa & Joey. From executive producer Dan Berendsen, the series is about a young man (Jean-Luc Bilodeau) who becomes a surprise dad to a baby girl when she's left on his doorstep by an ex-girlfriend. He decides to raise the baby with the help of his mother (Melissa Peterman), his brother (Derek Theler), his best buddy Tucker (Tahj Mowry) and his close female friend, Riley (Chelsea Kane), who is harboring a secret crush on him. The sitcom has a ten episode order. And then a few weeks later, the sitcom will lead into a new reality series. From the production company of The Real Housewives series, Beverly Hills Nannies is a new docuseries that follows the lives of a group of nannies working for families in the most exclusive zip code in the country and premieres on Wednesday, July 11 at 9:00PM ET/PT for eight weeks.
One final note, fan favorite drama Switched at Birth will return with all-new original episodes in Fall 2012, as it has about ten episodes left from its first season order.
It's been a busy past few days, so let's go around the networks with some news. CBS announced it has picked up many returning series for the 2012-2013 broadcast season. The renewals include four comedies, nine dramas, three reality series and two newsmagazines. The returning shows encompass every night of the week and every hour.
RETURNING COMEDIES: The renewed comedies include the previously announced multi-year pickups of How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory, along with rookie hit 2 Broke Girls and sophomore series Mike & Molly. Also in comedy, CBS and Warner Bros. Television are in preliminary discussions regarding "future seasons" for Two and a Half Men. Stay tuned for updates on that.
YET TO BE RENEWED SO FAR: No word on Rob or Rules of Engagement.
RETURNING DRAMAS: Renewed dramas are NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, Hawaii Five-0, Criminal Minds, CSI, Person of Interest, The Mentalist, Blue Bloods and The Good Wife.
YET TO BE RENEWED SO FAR: Jury is still out on CSI: NY and CSI: Miami, along with rookies Unforgettable and A Gifted Man.
RETURNING REALITY/NEWSMAGAZINES: Among the Network's returning reality series are The Amazing Race, Undercover Boss and the previously renewed Survivor, along with newsmagazines 60 Minutes and 48 Hours Mystery, will also return in the fall.
NBC unveiled premiere dates for three new and returning series for Summer 2012 that include the return of reality show Love in the Wild (Thursday, June 7, 8-10 pm ET), the series debut of drama Saving Hope (working title; Thursday, June 7, 10pm. ET) and the return of G4's American Ninja Warrior (Monday, May 21, 9-11 pm ET). Following its special two-hour premiere on June 7, Love in the Wild will return in its regular time slot on Thursday, June 14 at 9pm ET. American Ninja Warrior will resume in its regular day and time on Monday, May 28 at 9pm ET). Saving Hope will continue in the Thursday 10pm ET time period. Read about the premiere and finales dates for these three series.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, February 27
The Big Bang Theory - "The Dependence Transcedence" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Tensions rise when the boys struggle to complete their government project on time and Sheldon tries an energy drink to stay awake. Also, Penny and Amy go to a “party” at Bert (Brian Posehn) the geologist’s house, and Kooothrappali learns Bernadette’s true feelings about her pregnancy when they clean out the future baby room. Dean Norris returns as Air Force Representative Colonel Williams.
Man with a Plan - "Assisted Living" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Adam's parents visit unannounced, they reveal surprising plans for their future living arrangements. Emmy Award winner Swoosie Kurtz and Stacy Keach guest star as Bev and Joe, Adam and Don’s parents.
Superior Donuts - "Takin' It to the Streets" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Franco and Sweatpants discover their new landlord, Fawz, wants to convert their apartment building into luxury condos, they decide to organize a protest. Also, Randy realizes she needs to be nicer to James in order to get a good recommendation for her sergeant’s exam.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Dad Day Afternoon" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Han’s new therapist suggests that Max needs to confront her “daddy issues” and fear of intimacy, she reluctantly heads to Rhode Island to track down her birth father with the diner gang in tow. Also, Oleg is up in arms when Sophie wants him to help out around the house.
Monday, February 27
- Keri Russell (Running Wilde) - Watch Keri on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Slink Johnson (Black Jesus) - Slick is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) - Adam drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. He also talks about The Arrangement on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- David Hyde Pierce (Frasier) - David chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Leighton Meester (Making History) - Leighton stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- John Lithgow (Trial & Error/Twenty Good Years/3rd Rock from the Sun) - John talks about Trial & Error on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 1:30pm.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy dishes on how This is Us is following in Mike & Molly’s footsteps – and why both shows are so beloved on People Now at 8:30am.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) and Craig Robinson (The Office) - Lisa and Craig talk about their new film Table 19 on the AOL Build Show at 2:30pm.
- Sinbad (A Different World/The Sinbad Show) - Sinbad is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife) - Bradley visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Craig Robinson (The Office/Mr. Robinson) - Craig appears on The Real, so check your local listings.