Wednesday, March 21, 2012
ABC Family Summer 2012 Schedule Has New Sitcom Baby Daddy; Network Notes Includes CBS Renews Many Series, NBC Summer 2012
On Mondays, as previously announced, ABC Family's longest running series The Secret Life of the American Teenager returns with all-new episodes next Monday, March 26 at 8:00PM ET/PT. This summer, The Secret Life of the American Teenager celebrates its fifth season (starting June 11) and 100th episode – a first for an ABC Family scripted series. Joining the drama this summer on Mondays will be the new original series Bunheads starting Monday, June 11 at 9:00PM ET/PT. Bunheads is the tale of a Las Vegas showgirl who impulsively marries a man, moves to his sleepy coastal town, and takes an uneasy role at her new mother-in-law's dance school.
On Tuesdays, even after "A" has been revealed, it is only the beginning of the mystery and lies for Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer when the hit original ABC Family series Pretty Little Liars returns for its season three premiere on Tuesday, June 5 at 8:00PM ET/PT. 24 all-new episodes have been ordered and it is expected that it will be split up into two halves, like ABC Family normally does. The hit drama will lead into ABC Family's original series Jane By Design, which will return with all eight new episodes for its second half starting Tuesday, June 5 at 9:00PM ET/PT.
And finally on Wednesdays, as we first broke, Melissa Joan Hart and Joey Lawrence return with 15 all-new episodes for the second season of their original sitcom Melissa & Joey with back-to-back episodes on Wednesday, May 30 at from 8:00PM–9:00PM ET/PT. The hit sitcom will lead into a new sitcom! The new half-hour comedy original series Baby Daddy premieres a few weeks later on Wednesday, June 20 at 8:30PM ET/PT after Melissa & Joey. From executive producer Dan Berendsen, the series is about a young man (Jean-Luc Bilodeau) who becomes a surprise dad to a baby girl when she's left on his doorstep by an ex-girlfriend. He decides to raise the baby with the help of his mother (Melissa Peterman), his brother (Derek Theler), his best buddy Tucker (Tahj Mowry) and his close female friend, Riley (Chelsea Kane), who is harboring a secret crush on him. The sitcom has a ten episode order. And then a few weeks later, the sitcom will lead into a new reality series. From the production company of The Real Housewives series, Beverly Hills Nannies is a new docuseries that follows the lives of a group of nannies working for families in the most exclusive zip code in the country and premieres on Wednesday, July 11 at 9:00PM ET/PT for eight weeks.
One final note, fan favorite drama Switched at Birth will return with all-new original episodes in Fall 2012, as it has about ten episodes left from its first season order.
It's been a busy past few days, so let's go around the networks with some news. CBS announced it has picked up many returning series for the 2012-2013 broadcast season. The renewals include four comedies, nine dramas, three reality series and two newsmagazines. The returning shows encompass every night of the week and every hour.
RETURNING COMEDIES: The renewed comedies include the previously announced multi-year pickups of How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory, along with rookie hit 2 Broke Girls and sophomore series Mike & Molly. Also in comedy, CBS and Warner Bros. Television are in preliminary discussions regarding "future seasons" for Two and a Half Men. Stay tuned for updates on that.
YET TO BE RENEWED SO FAR: No word on Rob or Rules of Engagement.
RETURNING DRAMAS: Renewed dramas are NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, Hawaii Five-0, Criminal Minds, CSI, Person of Interest, The Mentalist, Blue Bloods and The Good Wife.
YET TO BE RENEWED SO FAR: Jury is still out on CSI: NY and CSI: Miami, along with rookies Unforgettable and A Gifted Man.
RETURNING REALITY/NEWSMAGAZINES: Among the Network's returning reality series are The Amazing Race, Undercover Boss and the previously renewed Survivor, along with newsmagazines 60 Minutes and 48 Hours Mystery, will also return in the fall.
NBC unveiled premiere dates for three new and returning series for Summer 2012 that include the return of reality show Love in the Wild (Thursday, June 7, 8-10 pm ET), the series debut of drama Saving Hope (working title; Thursday, June 7, 10pm. ET) and the return of G4's American Ninja Warrior (Monday, May 21, 9-11 pm ET). Following its special two-hour premiere on June 7, Love in the Wild will return in its regular time slot on Thursday, June 14 at 9pm ET. American Ninja Warrior will resume in its regular day and time on Monday, May 28 at 9pm ET). Saving Hope will continue in the Thursday 10pm ET time period. Read about the premiere and finales dates for these three series.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, October 25
The Middle - "Halloween VIII: The Heckoning" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Halloween approaches, Frankie is taken aback when she discovers that, if the circumstances ever arose where she and Mike got divorced, the kids would all choose to live with Mike. Meanwhile, Sue tries everything in her power to get her room back from Brick, and having to be so nice around girlfriend April all of the time leads Axl to lash out at his family.
American Housewife - "Westport Zombies" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie, jealous of Taylor’s friendship with neighbor Viv (Leslie Bibb), reluctantly competes in the Westport Halloween “Zombie Run” after she finds out they’ll both be running. Meanwhile, Greg and Anna-Kat get a little too much in character for the “zombie” part of the run’s obstacle course.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Louisween" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Louis’ favorite holiday, and he makes every attempt to scare Jessica into the Halloween spirit, but she is buried in her word processor, drafting her first horror novel. Meanwhile, Emery and Evan debate costume choices, and Eddie and his crew are excited to party with high schoolers at Nicole’s house.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Halloween" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Halloween arrives, or what Kenny refers to as “the gay Super Bowl,” he plans to go to Boystown to watch the festive costume parade. In an effort to prevent Kenny from attending, Eileen agrees to let him throw his own Halloween party at home. Eileen’s tolerance is ultimately tested when Kenny recruits Stuart and his gay friends to join the big party, and he makes a BIG costume change. Meanwhile, Jimmy and Shannon plan to pull off an epic Halloween prank.
Atlanta - "Junteenth" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Why my Auntie trying to make me go to one of these bougie Junteenth parties again? I don't like them sadity people and I'm gonna miss my shows. Le sigh.
Family Time - "Head of House" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When the Stallworths have an unexpected visitor, they learn of a vicious crime that took place in their home years ago.
Tuesday, October 25
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Catch Will on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Skylar Astin (Ground Floor) - Skylar is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub (How to Be a Gentleman/Veronica's Closet/The Larry Sanders Show) and David Koechner (Another Period/Hank/The Office) - Mary and David are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Scream Queens/Anything But Love) - Jamie Lee is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn plays a celeb guessing game with Rach, who’s serving up no-fail make-your-own takeout, on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. She will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Cheryl Hines (Son of Zorn/Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) - Abbi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She will also be on the AOL Build Show 4pm.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Don is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.