Thursday, February 23, 2012
CBS announced late yesterday that on Thursday, April 12, they will air a second hour of sitcoms in the 9pm hour on this date only. Perhaps this is a test for next season to open up a second hour of sitcoms on the night? On this night, The Big Bang Theory and Rules of Engagement will in their normal 8pm & 8:30pm time periods, but at 9:00pm will have a second Big Bang followed by an airing of 2 Broke Girls at 9:30pm. As of now, the 9:00pm hour comedies are repeats, but could this still be a test for a second hour of comedy? Freshman drama Person of Interest will air an hour later at 10:00pm on this night instead of The Mentalist. Now The Mentalist could be on the move next season. CBS also announced that an original episode of The Mentalist will air on Friday, March 9 at 9:00pm instead of A Gifted Man, which is likely not going to return next season. This could be a test to see if The Mentalist can do well on Fridays if they want to open up a two-hour comedy block on Thursday and shift Person of Interest to 10pm or to another night next season.
All of this is just talk for now, but it is certainly interesting on why CBS has made these changes for March 9 and April 12 only. We will find out in May at the upfronts if CBS does go with a two-hour comedy block on Thursday nights next season. What do you think they should do? Sound off to us on Twitter @SitcomsOnline and Facebook. What four comedies would you schedule, if you think they should?
Earlier this week we mentioned that Bernie Mac will be airing on Centric starting Feb. 27 replacing The Jamie Foxx Show, but now Centric has changed their mind. Now The Jamie Foxx Show will remain in its 2-3pm and 7-8pm timeslots and Bernie Mac will not join the network. Bernie Mac will continue to air on sister network BET weekdays from 8-10am. No idea why Centric changed their mind, but even this weekend's (Feb. 24-25) marathon of Bernie Mac will not air. Instead a marathon of The Jamie Foxx Show will air.
Everything else we mentioned earlier in the week will remain, including the other weekend marathons in March.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, January 20
Last Man Standing - "A House Divided" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mike and Vanessa ask newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to tone down their constant displays of affection, Mandy agrees but only if her parents become more discreet in the way they express their feelings to each other. Meanwhile, Kristen gets Eve a gig playing at the Grill, but Ed wants to fire her after a lackluster performance.
Dr. Ken - "A Day in the Life" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Amy (guest star Yvette Nicole Brown), the producer of a documentary health series, follows Ken around to record a typical day at an HMO, giving Ken his big moment in the limelight. But much to Ken’s chagrin, a series of the less than thrilling day-to-day parts of the job at Welltopia leads Ken to doubt his own career choice.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.