Saturday, January 07, 2012
Digital Digest: New Region 2 (United Kingdom) DVDs of American Series; Hawaii Five-O - The Twelfth and Final Season DVD Review
BLOG FEATURE REVIEW
1. "A Lion in the Streets" (1:38:38)
4. "Sign of the Ram" (49:55)
8. "Voice of Terror" (49:54)
12. "School for Assassins" (49:56)
13. "For Old Times Sake" (49:54)
14. "The Golden Noose" (49:48)
15. "The Flight of the Jewels" (49:55)
16. "Clash of the Shadows" (49:55)
17. "A Bird in Hand..." (49:54)
18. "The Moroville Covenant" (49:50)
19. "Woe to Wo Fat" (49:55)
The packaging for this set is very similar to the previous releases. First, we have an outer cardboard sleeve with McGarrett and the other characters, with some episode snapshots on the back. Inside the cardboard sleeve, there is a Viva case, with the exact same artwork. Inside the case, there is a listing of all of the episodes, by disc, along with episode descriptions and original airdates. The set contains five discs, all of which have the series logo on a gray background. Disc 1 contains three episodes (including the double-length season premiere), while all of the other discs contain four episodes each.
Nothing has truly changed about the packaging this time. We still have the Viva case inside of the cardboard sleeve (both of which have the exact same artwork). Once again, the cover features a large photograph of McGarrett, and smaller photos of other cast members, and we have a few episodes snapshots on the back, along with a brief description of the series in general. Inside the case, you'll find descriptions and original airdates for all of the episodes. The disc artwork is basically just the series logo on a gray background, like all other CBS Home Entertainment releases.
The menus for this series have pretty much stayed the same all throughout the series. The main menu has a large photo of Steve McGarrett, with a slideshow of videos playing in the background. Also, the theme song plays in the background. From the main menu, you have options of Episodes and Subtitles. Episodes just gives you a list of episodes (with no Play All option), and Subtitles lets you turn on the English subtitles. Chapters are placed throughout every episode.
There are two special features on this set, but one of them is very short and the other is, well, honestly hardly even worth calling a special feature. We'll talk about the worthy one first. The series promo (0:30) is just a short promo for the series from when it originally aired on CBS. The other special feature, "Crime Wave" (2:51) is nothing more than a promo to buy the seasons of the series on DVD. You get a rap song, some clips from the shows, and pictures of the season set boxes riding a surfboard. Honestly, I feel like I wasted three minutes of my life sitting through this feature.
It is great to see this series come to an end, even if the final season isn't quite as great as the seasons leading up to it. It is especially great considering that the series has typically been split into various packages in syndication, making it difficult to see many of the episodes since they originally aired. Of course, we still only have about 99.9% of the series, since the episode "Bored, She Hung Herself" is still not available on DVD or for broadcast on television, but considering that the episode only ever aired once, I doubt that many people are truly missing it. So, will a complete series release of this series be up next? It would be an awfully large set to take on, but it could be done. I'm not sure what they could offer to entice fans to purchase it, though. In the meantime, I think fans of the series will enjoy the twelve releases that we have been given.
To purchase this DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews Page
Hawaii Five-O on TV.com
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.