Monday, October 31, 2011
Happy Halloween! This could be scary for some, but former Two and a Half Men star Charlie Sheen will return to television, as we know... but now we have the full details! Starting in summer 2012, FX has acquired the new Sheen sitcom Anger Management, a new sitcom loosely based on Revolution Studios' 2003 hit comedy feature film of the same name. FX has ordered 10 episodes of Anger Management from Lionsgate-owned distributor Debmar-Mercury, led by Co-Presidents Mort Marcus and Ira Bernstein. Production on the sitcom will begin in early 2012 with comedy veteran writer-producer Bruce Helford (George Lopez, The Drew Carey Show) as executive producer and showrunner. It will be produced by Lionsgate Television, led by Television Group President Kevin Beggs and COO Sandra Stern; Joe Roth and Revolution Studios' Vince Totino; Sheen manager Mark Burg's production company, Evolution Management; and Ramon Estevez and Estevez Sheen Productions.
In success, FX will pick up an additional 90 episodes under a unique syndication model crafted by Debmar-Mercury for multiple Tyler Perry sitcoms and Revolution's and Ice Cube's Are We There Yet? The series will air exclusively on FX until the off-network episodes start airing in broadcast syndication in fall 2014 -- only two years after its debut, since it will have 100 episodes by then. Sheen will retain a significant ownership stake in the series inspired by the film, in which an anger management therapist, who may need more counseling than his patients, wreaks havoc on the lives of his patients through his unconventional methods.
FX already airs repeats of his former sitcom Two and a Half Men everyday and they do great ratings. We will have more on this for sure as we get closer to summer 2012, such as a premiere date and what day/time it will air. So come on back!
ABC Family has cast rising star Chelsea Kane (Dancing with the Stars Season 12) on a new sitcom pilot. She is probably best known for being a finalist on ABC's Dancing with the Stars and who stars in Disney Channel's Jonas as Stella and in the upcoming ABC Family movie musical, Elixir (working title), has been cast as Penny in the new half-hour comedy pilot, Baby Daddy. Kane joins previously announced cast including Derek Theler and Cameron Deane Stewart. This sitcom pilot, a half-hour comedy from executive producer Dan Berendsen, is about Ben (Stewart) who, in his 20s, becomes a surprise dad to a baby girl when she's left on his doorstep by an ex-girlfriend. Ben decides to raise the baby with the help of his mother, his brother, Danny (Theler), his best buddy and his close female friend, Penny (Kane), who is harboring a secret crush on him. Baby Daddy is a multi-camera comedy and is scheduled to shoot in front of a live audience in December in Los Angeles.
If the series is picked-up to series, it could be a possible companion to ABC Family's popular original sitcom Melissa & Joey. ABC Family has not found a good pairing with that sitcom yet, as State of Georgia (starring Raven Symone) was recently canceled by ABC Family due to low ratings, which is a bummer since it was decent. ABC Family also has another sitcom pilot that is in contention titled Village People, a multi-camera half-hour pilot centering on a single, high-powered career woman who adopts a baby from a teen mother -- whom she ends up caring for as well. We hope both make it to series but are hoping more for Baby Daddy so we can see Chelsea Kane blossom into a big star. Stay with us for further updates!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.