Thursday, October 06, 2011
The 90s Are All That Moves to 10PM; Network Notes: CBS Picks-Up 2 Broke Girls, Delays Rules of Engagement, ABC Schedules Game Show
The rotating block of iconic Nickelodeon '90s shows will kick off its new 10pm-12am (all times Eastern) time slot THIS Friday (that's tomorrow, Oct. 7), with the inaugural viewer-voted "UPick with Stick" lineup. Every Friday night, "UPick with Stick" will be hosted by Stick Stickly, featuring the original voice actor in the role, Paul Christie. "UPick with Stick" will feature '90s Nickelodeon episodes chosen by viewers via Facebook and www.90sAreAllThat.com. As for the daily schedule, Hey Dude joins "The '90s Are All That" block on Saturday, Oct. 8 at 11pm (encores at 1am), along with All That, Kenan & Kel and Doug, with the replays now 12-2 a.m. on TeenNick (2-4am encores are now gone since the block starts at 10pm now). This line-up will air six nights a week (All That, Kenan & Kel, Hey Dude, Doug is the order from 10p-12a), except on Fridays since that is viewer's choice night.
"The '90s Are All That" on TeenNick has scored huge gains for the net, posting double-digit increases over last year with A18-34 (+50%) in the time period. Hey Dude aired from 1989 to 1991 and was one of Nickelodeon's first original live-action series. As of now, the planned Amanda Show and Are You Afraid of the Dark two-week runs are on hold, but they could pop-up on Friday nights if you pick them! Stay with us for further updates.
No surprise, CBS has given a full season order to new comedy 2 Broke Girls. As of three airings, 2 Broke Girls is the top new series in both viewers (14.18 million viewers, live+same day) and adults 18-49 (5.4 rating, live+same day), winning its regular Monday 8:30 PM time period in key demographics the past two weeks. The first airing aired after the highly-promoted Two and a Half Men season premiere with Ashton Kutcher which did a 10.7 18-49 rating, giving 2 Broke Girls huge sampling with a 7.1 18-49 rating for its premiere. The sitcom has settled for a solid 4.6 and 4.5 18-49 rating in its regular time period since, putting it neck and neck with Fox's new Tuesday comedy New Girl for top honors. 2 Broke Girls stars Kat Dennings, Beth Behrs, Matthew Moy, Jonathan Kite and Garrett Morris. Michael Patrick King is executive producer and Whitney Cummings is executive consultant for Warner Bros. Television. The series was co-created by King and Cummings.
As we first broke on Twitter, the season premiere of CBS sitcom Rules of Engagement has moved to Saturday, Oct. 15 at 8:00 PM ET/PT, one week later than previously announced (which was actually this coming Saturday). Instead, a repeat of Mike & Molly will air in the time period on Saturday, Oct. 8 at 8:00 PM ET/PT. A repeat of 2 Broke Girls follows at 8:30 PM. So why the change? Perhaps CBS is waiting to see how new Thursday comedy How To Be A Gentleman does in week two tonight after underperforming for its premiere last week. If it does poorly, CBS could have a short leash and pull the comedy and move Rules of Engagement back to Thursdays as early as next week (Oct. 13) and still call it a season premiere. If that happens, perhaps Gentleman will take the Saturday 8pm slot. Stay tuned for any further updates, but for now view our day-by-day schedule for CBS.
In another exclusive, we broke the news that ABC will burn-off the game show Million Dollar Mind Game on Sunday afternoons at 4pm ET/2pm PT starting Sunday, Oct. 23. The game show was in contention to air last season or summer on ABC, but never made it to air. ABC has 6 episodes to air and they will air it in six consecutive weeks from October 23 to November 27. In Million Dollar Mind Game, six teammates work together using smarts and logic to answer complex questions. The more questions they answer correctly, the more money they can win. The series is hosted by British host Vernon Kay (Skating with the Stars). Encores of Dancing with the Stars: The Results will follow at 5pm ET/2pm PT on these six Sunday afternoons. ABC has been airing encores of reality series on many weekend afternoons for some time now, but this will be the first time brand new episodes of a series will air (even a burn-off is still new).
In other ABC scheduling news, they have announced that the perennial classic It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown will air on the first night of November sweep on Thursday, Oct. 27 at 8pm. Charlie's Angels was already planned to be preempted on this night before it premiered. Look for the Angels to return the following week, ratings pending of course. Hello, Angels! View our day-by-day schedule for ABC.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, March 24
Last Man Standing - "Bad Heir Day" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Mike and Vanessa think it’s time for newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to move out, but when Chuck relays some unexpected news about Kyle’s absentee mom, Mike has second thoughts. Meanwhile, Eve tells Ryan that Boyd is making up stories about his Dad’s real job, because he’s embarrassed about being home-schooled.
Dr. Ken - "Clark's Big Surprise" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Ken accidentally finds out that Clark and Connor are planning their surprise wedding, he has to find a way to get everyone to come. But Damona finds out and to get Allison there, she tells her that Ken is going to surprise her by renewing their wedding vows. Guest performances from the Grammy Award-winning band, Train, featuring lead singer Pat Monahan and guitarist Jerry Becker.
Friday, March 24
- Sofia Black-D'Elia (The Mick) - Watch Sofia on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock/The Tracy Morgan Show) - Tracy is on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Malin Akerman (Trophy Wife/Sin City Saints) - Malin appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Zach Galifianakis (Baskets) - Zach is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened) - Laura appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jermaine Fowler (Superior Donuts) - Jermaine is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Martha Plimpton (The Real O'Neals/Raising Hope) - Martha appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Carl Reiner (The Dick Van Dyke Show) and Rob Reiner (All in the Family) - Carl and Rob are guests on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She also joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) and Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) - Jane and Lily talk about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brooklyn talks about Malibu Country on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Rhea Perlman (Cheers/Kirstie) - Rhea talks about Me and My Grandma on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.