Thursday, October 06, 2011
The 90s Are All That Moves to 10PM; Network Notes: CBS Picks-Up 2 Broke Girls, Delays Rules of Engagement, ABC Schedules Game Show
The rotating block of iconic Nickelodeon '90s shows will kick off its new 10pm-12am (all times Eastern) time slot THIS Friday (that's tomorrow, Oct. 7), with the inaugural viewer-voted "UPick with Stick" lineup. Every Friday night, "UPick with Stick" will be hosted by Stick Stickly, featuring the original voice actor in the role, Paul Christie. "UPick with Stick" will feature '90s Nickelodeon episodes chosen by viewers via Facebook and www.90sAreAllThat.com. As for the daily schedule, Hey Dude joins "The '90s Are All That" block on Saturday, Oct. 8 at 11pm (encores at 1am), along with All That, Kenan & Kel and Doug, with the replays now 12-2 a.m. on TeenNick (2-4am encores are now gone since the block starts at 10pm now). This line-up will air six nights a week (All That, Kenan & Kel, Hey Dude, Doug is the order from 10p-12a), except on Fridays since that is viewer's choice night.
"The '90s Are All That" on TeenNick has scored huge gains for the net, posting double-digit increases over last year with A18-34 (+50%) in the time period. Hey Dude aired from 1989 to 1991 and was one of Nickelodeon's first original live-action series. As of now, the planned Amanda Show and Are You Afraid of the Dark two-week runs are on hold, but they could pop-up on Friday nights if you pick them! Stay with us for further updates.
No surprise, CBS has given a full season order to new comedy 2 Broke Girls. As of three airings, 2 Broke Girls is the top new series in both viewers (14.18 million viewers, live+same day) and adults 18-49 (5.4 rating, live+same day), winning its regular Monday 8:30 PM time period in key demographics the past two weeks. The first airing aired after the highly-promoted Two and a Half Men season premiere with Ashton Kutcher which did a 10.7 18-49 rating, giving 2 Broke Girls huge sampling with a 7.1 18-49 rating for its premiere. The sitcom has settled for a solid 4.6 and 4.5 18-49 rating in its regular time period since, putting it neck and neck with Fox's new Tuesday comedy New Girl for top honors. 2 Broke Girls stars Kat Dennings, Beth Behrs, Matthew Moy, Jonathan Kite and Garrett Morris. Michael Patrick King is executive producer and Whitney Cummings is executive consultant for Warner Bros. Television. The series was co-created by King and Cummings.
As we first broke on Twitter, the season premiere of CBS sitcom Rules of Engagement has moved to Saturday, Oct. 15 at 8:00 PM ET/PT, one week later than previously announced (which was actually this coming Saturday). Instead, a repeat of Mike & Molly will air in the time period on Saturday, Oct. 8 at 8:00 PM ET/PT. A repeat of 2 Broke Girls follows at 8:30 PM. So why the change? Perhaps CBS is waiting to see how new Thursday comedy How To Be A Gentleman does in week two tonight after underperforming for its premiere last week. If it does poorly, CBS could have a short leash and pull the comedy and move Rules of Engagement back to Thursdays as early as next week (Oct. 13) and still call it a season premiere. If that happens, perhaps Gentleman will take the Saturday 8pm slot. Stay tuned for any further updates, but for now view our day-by-day schedule for CBS.
In another exclusive, we broke the news that ABC will burn-off the game show Million Dollar Mind Game on Sunday afternoons at 4pm ET/2pm PT starting Sunday, Oct. 23. The game show was in contention to air last season or summer on ABC, but never made it to air. ABC has 6 episodes to air and they will air it in six consecutive weeks from October 23 to November 27. In Million Dollar Mind Game, six teammates work together using smarts and logic to answer complex questions. The more questions they answer correctly, the more money they can win. The series is hosted by British host Vernon Kay (Skating with the Stars). Encores of Dancing with the Stars: The Results will follow at 5pm ET/2pm PT on these six Sunday afternoons. ABC has been airing encores of reality series on many weekend afternoons for some time now, but this will be the first time brand new episodes of a series will air (even a burn-off is still new).
In other ABC scheduling news, they have announced that the perennial classic It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown will air on the first night of November sweep on Thursday, Oct. 27 at 8pm. Charlie's Angels was already planned to be preempted on this night before it premiered. Look for the Angels to return the following week, ratings pending of course. Hello, Angels! View our day-by-day schedule for ABC.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)
10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonders Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 25
Sunday, October 26
- The Cast of A Different World - The cast of A Different World reunites on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 9pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Amy on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly) - Melissa visits Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond) - Ray appears on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Norman Lear (Producer of All in the Family/Sanford and Son/The Jeffersons) - Norman chats on Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.
- Rob Corddry (The Winner/Ben and Kate) - Rob is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Andrea Martin (Working the Engels) - Andrea stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family/Encore! Encore!/Charlie Lawrence) - Nathan appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Laurence Fisburne (black-ish) - Laurence chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Sean Hayes (The Millers/Sean Saves the World/Will & Grace) - Sean is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Sarah Hyland (Modern Family) - Sarah dishes about a red carpet celebrity mix up and opens up about the adversity she's facing in her personal life on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Vivica A. Fox (Out All Night) - Vivica reveals which actor was the worst kisser and why she chose to throw herself an outrageous 50th birthday party on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso drops by The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.
- Haley Joel Osment (Thunder Alley/The Jeff Foxworthy Show) - Haley Joel will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Zendaya (Shake It Up) - Zendaya is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Kieran Culkin (Go Fish) - Kieran will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.