Thursday, October 06, 2011
The 90s Are All That Moves to 10PM; Network Notes: CBS Picks-Up 2 Broke Girls, Delays Rules of Engagement, ABC Schedules Game Show
The rotating block of iconic Nickelodeon '90s shows will kick off its new 10pm-12am (all times Eastern) time slot THIS Friday (that's tomorrow, Oct. 7), with the inaugural viewer-voted "UPick with Stick" lineup. Every Friday night, "UPick with Stick" will be hosted by Stick Stickly, featuring the original voice actor in the role, Paul Christie. "UPick with Stick" will feature '90s Nickelodeon episodes chosen by viewers via Facebook and www.90sAreAllThat.com. As for the daily schedule, Hey Dude joins "The '90s Are All That" block on Saturday, Oct. 8 at 11pm (encores at 1am), along with All That, Kenan & Kel and Doug, with the replays now 12-2 a.m. on TeenNick (2-4am encores are now gone since the block starts at 10pm now). This line-up will air six nights a week (All That, Kenan & Kel, Hey Dude, Doug is the order from 10p-12a), except on Fridays since that is viewer's choice night.
"The '90s Are All That" on TeenNick has scored huge gains for the net, posting double-digit increases over last year with A18-34 (+50%) in the time period. Hey Dude aired from 1989 to 1991 and was one of Nickelodeon's first original live-action series. As of now, the planned Amanda Show and Are You Afraid of the Dark two-week runs are on hold, but they could pop-up on Friday nights if you pick them! Stay with us for further updates.
No surprise, CBS has given a full season order to new comedy 2 Broke Girls. As of three airings, 2 Broke Girls is the top new series in both viewers (14.18 million viewers, live+same day) and adults 18-49 (5.4 rating, live+same day), winning its regular Monday 8:30 PM time period in key demographics the past two weeks. The first airing aired after the highly-promoted Two and a Half Men season premiere with Ashton Kutcher which did a 10.7 18-49 rating, giving 2 Broke Girls huge sampling with a 7.1 18-49 rating for its premiere. The sitcom has settled for a solid 4.6 and 4.5 18-49 rating in its regular time period since, putting it neck and neck with Fox's new Tuesday comedy New Girl for top honors. 2 Broke Girls stars Kat Dennings, Beth Behrs, Matthew Moy, Jonathan Kite and Garrett Morris. Michael Patrick King is executive producer and Whitney Cummings is executive consultant for Warner Bros. Television. The series was co-created by King and Cummings.
As we first broke on Twitter, the season premiere of CBS sitcom Rules of Engagement has moved to Saturday, Oct. 15 at 8:00 PM ET/PT, one week later than previously announced (which was actually this coming Saturday). Instead, a repeat of Mike & Molly will air in the time period on Saturday, Oct. 8 at 8:00 PM ET/PT. A repeat of 2 Broke Girls follows at 8:30 PM. So why the change? Perhaps CBS is waiting to see how new Thursday comedy How To Be A Gentleman does in week two tonight after underperforming for its premiere last week. If it does poorly, CBS could have a short leash and pull the comedy and move Rules of Engagement back to Thursdays as early as next week (Oct. 13) and still call it a season premiere. If that happens, perhaps Gentleman will take the Saturday 8pm slot. Stay tuned for any further updates, but for now view our day-by-day schedule for CBS.
In another exclusive, we broke the news that ABC will burn-off the game show Million Dollar Mind Game on Sunday afternoons at 4pm ET/2pm PT starting Sunday, Oct. 23. The game show was in contention to air last season or summer on ABC, but never made it to air. ABC has 6 episodes to air and they will air it in six consecutive weeks from October 23 to November 27. In Million Dollar Mind Game, six teammates work together using smarts and logic to answer complex questions. The more questions they answer correctly, the more money they can win. The series is hosted by British host Vernon Kay (Skating with the Stars). Encores of Dancing with the Stars: The Results will follow at 5pm ET/2pm PT on these six Sunday afternoons. ABC has been airing encores of reality series on many weekend afternoons for some time now, but this will be the first time brand new episodes of a series will air (even a burn-off is still new).
In other ABC scheduling news, they have announced that the perennial classic It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown will air on the first night of November sweep on Thursday, Oct. 27 at 8pm. Charlie's Angels was already planned to be preempted on this night before it premiered. Look for the Angels to return the following week, ratings pending of course. Hello, Angels! View our day-by-day schedule for ABC.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, March 5
The Big Bang Theory - "The Colonization Application" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Trouble arises when Amy learns Sheldon has applied for a one-way mission to colonize Mars. Also, a trip to the pet store ends in a fight for Sheldon and Amy, Leonard surprises Penny with a very “adult” purchase, and, Raj is caught snooping in Emily’s apartment.
The Odd Couple - "The Birthday Party" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Oscar realizes he’s forgotten Felix’s birthday, he pulls together a last-minute surprise party in his honor in an attempt to impress Casey.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Cleanroom Infiltration" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Leonard and Wolowitz nearly come to blows and turn to Raj for help in dealing with a work emergency. Meanwhile, Amy throws an authentic Victorian Christmas party, and Sheldon seeks revenge on her for making him celebrate the holidays.
Mom - "Dirty Money and a Woman Named Mike" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Christy and Bonnie are shocked when they discover how prison has changed their friend Regina. Octavia Spencer returns as Regina. Jaime Pressly returns as Jill.
Thursday, March 5
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Catch Will on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tiffani Thiessen (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The College Years) - Tiffani stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Jada is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Drew Carey (The Drew Carey Show/The Good Life) - Drew guest co-hosts The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jonathan Banks (Community/Fired Up) - Jonathan appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Stacey Dash (Clueless) - Stacey reveals what it was like working with Bill Cosby and discusses her own parenting style on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Felicity Huffman (Sports Night) - Felicity chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jason Ritter (The Class) - Jason is a guest on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Anne Heche (Save Me/The Michael J. Fox Show) - Anne talks about DIG on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Dan Bucatinsky (Marry Me) - Dan talks about Marry Me and Who Do You Think You Are on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Mircea Monroe (Episodes) - Mircea talks about the season finale of her Golden Globe-winning show on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Alyssa Milano (Who's the Boss?/Romantically Challenged) - Alyssa guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Debby Ryan (Jessie/The Suite Life on Deck) - Debby is a guest on Fox & Friends on Fox News Channel at 7:22am and on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 8:50am.