Friday, July 29, 2011
TeenNick's '90 Block Delivers Ratings; TCA Summer 2011 Press Tour: Cable; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of August 1, 2011)
Reaching its highest late-night viewership levels ever, TeenNick had four of the top ten programs - every show in the block - from 12a-2a across all basic cable with A12-24: Kenan & Kel (from 1995) at 12:30 a.m. reached #3; All That (1996) at 12 a.m. hit #4; the very first episode of Doug (1991) at 1:30 a.m. was #6; and Clarissa Explains It All (1992) was #8.
Overall, the entire two-hour block averaged a 1.3 rating and 417,000 viewers among A12-24, up 225% in rating compared to last year. Among A12-34, the block garnered a 0.8 rating and 456,000 viewers, up 167%; and with A18-34, it averaged a 0.6 rating and 229,000 viewers, up 500%. Total viewership also was strong, with 555,000 total viewers tuning in, +114% more than last year's time period.
Each show also performed well individually across key young-adult demos--A12-24, A12-34 and A18-34--and raised year-ago levels by incredible triple-digits across the board. Among total viewers, All That averaged 613,000 total viewers (up +108%); Kenan & Kel averaging 597,000 total viewers (+199%); Clarissa Explains It All averaged 478,000 viewers (up +73%): and an average of 532,000 total viewers tuned in to Doug (up +101%).
The first night of "The '90s are All That" also bested the most recent weekly averages for broadcast and basic cable late-night talk shows among young adults. Each show in the block's July 25 debut garnered bigger A12-24 audiences than The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Conan, Late Show with David Letterman, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Lopez Tonight and Jimmy Kimmel Live. Also, among A12-34s, All That out-delivered Leno, Letterman, Fallon, Lopez and Kimmel.
During the block's premiere, the Nickelodeon brand had a total of 20 worldwide trending topics on Twitter - owning 8 of 9 trending topics worldwide and all 9 organic trending topics locally in New York City. Both Nickelodeon Twitter handle and '90s Facebook page are still growing rapidly. The Nick '90s Facebook page (www.facebook.com/90sAreAllThat) doubled in fans overnight by 100,000, and the search volume for the series Doug reached the volcanic level on Google. According to Trendrr.tv, a social television chart ranking television's daily social activities, 4 of the top 10 cable shows on Monday, July 25, were part of "The '90s Are All That" block.
That is some start, but that was only the premiere night. We'll keep you up to date of the ratings progress as we get it and we'll continue to of course bring you any programming updates!
Back to the TCA Summer 2011 Press Tour, yesterday the big network to present was HBO with other nets like AMC and BBC America also presenting. We'll cover what HBO and AMC presented and stay tuned for updates from the MTV Networks presentation that will be today, as the cable portion comes to a close today. HBO has confirmed the fall debut dates for the new and returning series Boardwalk Empire, Hung, How To Make It In America, Bored to Death and Enlightened.
Boardwalk Empire kicks off its 12-episode second season Sunday, Sept. 25 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. The Golden Globe-winning drama series stars Steve Buscemi as "Nucky" Thompsonand is created by Terence Winter, who also serves as executive producer with Martin Scorsese, Stephen Levinson, Mark Wahlberg and Tim Van Patten. Hung launches its ten-episode third season Sunday, Oct. 2 at 10:00 p.m.. The Emmy-nominated comedy series stars Thomas Jane. Next, How To Make It In America begins its eight-episode second season also on Sunday, Oct. 2 at 10:30- p.m. Bryan Greenberg and Lake Bell star and Mark Wahlberg is one of the executive producers. Another comedy, Bored to Death, returns for its eight-episode third season Monday, Oct. 10 at 9:00 p.m. The comedy series stars Jason Schwartzman. Finally, the new series Enlightened launches its ten-episode season Monday, Oct. 10 at 9:30 p.m. Laura Dern stars in the series, which she also executive produces.
Onto AMC, after breaking the Western mold with the hit mini-series Broken Trail, AMC returns to the genre with the epic drama Hell On Wheels, starring Anson Mount, Common, Colm Meaney, Dominique McElligott, Ben Esler, Philip Burke and Eddie Spears. Hell On Wheels, is set to premiere on the network with a ten episode run on Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 10PM ET/PT.
Of course the second season of The Walking Dead will premiere on Sunday, October 16th at 9PM ET. The Walking Dead is based on the comic book written by Robert Kirkman and published by Skybound and Image comics. The 13-episodes of season two will continue to tell the story of a group of survivors fighting for their lives after a zombie apocalypse.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars (but we won't cover movie stars like Tom Hanks or John Travolta, since they won't be talking about their past sitcoms likely), so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of August 1-5, 2011, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, August 1, 2011
- Jamie Foxx, Chris Rock, Tina Fey and Betty White - Gayle's funniest guests appear on a Best of: Lolz special of The Gayle King Show at 10am and repeated at 8pm on OWN.
- Hank Azaria (The Simpsons) - Hank stops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC. The Smurfs is now in theaters.
- Danny McBride (Eastbound and Down) - Catch Danny on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jason Batman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Jason visits Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart at 11pm. The Change-Up opens in theaters on Augus 5.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds) - Watch Kevin on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Steve Harvey and Paul Reiser - Steve and Paul appear on a Best of: Big Daddies special of The Gayle King Show at 10am on OWN.
- Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith - View inside Will and Jada's home on NBC's Today between 7-9am.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Jeremy appears on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Jason Batman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Watch Jason NBC's Today between 7-9am and later on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Adrian Grenier (Entourage) - Catch Adrian on Lopez Tonight at 12am on TBS.
- Melissa Joan Hart (Melissa and Joey/Sabrina, the Teenage Witch/Clarissa Explains It All) - Melissa visits LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, so check your listings.
- Roseanne Barr (Roseanne) - Roseanne stops by The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Jeremy continues to make the rounds on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Jason chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT and then later visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Hank Azaria (The Simpsons) - Hank drops by Lopez Tonight at 12am on TBS.
- Caroline Rhea (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch) - Watch Caroline on LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, so check your listings.
- Alyson Hanigan (How I Met Your Mother) - Catch Alyson on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Tichina Arnold (Happily Divorced/Everybody Hates Chris/Martin) - Tichina visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell) - Mario is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Jason Ritter (The Class) - Catch Jason on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January)
01/06 - The Cosby Show - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
01/06 - The Cosby Show - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
01/06 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
01/06 - Girls - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
01/06 - Married with Children - Season Seven (Mill Creek)
01/06 - Married with Children - Season Eight (Mill Creek)
01/06 - Married with Children - Seasons Seven and Eight (Mill Creek)
01/13 - The Big House - The Complete Series
01/13 - Episodes - The Third Season
01/13 - The Facts of Life - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory
01/20 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, January 26
Monday, January 26
- Louis CK (Louie) - Watch Louis on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin appears on The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Tony Danza (Taxi/Who's the Boss?) - Tony is a guest on The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Alan Alda (M*A*S*H) - Alan visits The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) - Maya appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ken Marino (Marry Me/Party Down), John Gemberling (Broad City/Marry Me) and Tymberlee Hill (Marry Me/The Hotwives of Orlando) - Ken, John and Tymberlee are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Amanda Peet (Togetherness/Bent) - Amanda stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin chats on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Olivia Munn (Perfect Couples) - Olivia appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Bob Saget (Full House/How I Met Your Mother) - Bob is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 3am on BET.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly visits The Real, so check your local listings. She also guest-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The New Class) - Mario and his wife Courtney are guests on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York between 7-10am.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal - NeNe talks about the highlights of the SAG Awards on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Josh Molina (Sports Night) - Josh is a guest on SI Now.