Friday, July 29, 2011
TeenNick's '90 Block Delivers Ratings; TCA Summer 2011 Press Tour: Cable; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of August 1, 2011)
Reaching its highest late-night viewership levels ever, TeenNick had four of the top ten programs - every show in the block - from 12a-2a across all basic cable with A12-24: Kenan & Kel (from 1995) at 12:30 a.m. reached #3; All That (1996) at 12 a.m. hit #4; the very first episode of Doug (1991) at 1:30 a.m. was #6; and Clarissa Explains It All (1992) was #8.
Overall, the entire two-hour block averaged a 1.3 rating and 417,000 viewers among A12-24, up 225% in rating compared to last year. Among A12-34, the block garnered a 0.8 rating and 456,000 viewers, up 167%; and with A18-34, it averaged a 0.6 rating and 229,000 viewers, up 500%. Total viewership also was strong, with 555,000 total viewers tuning in, +114% more than last year's time period.
Each show also performed well individually across key young-adult demos--A12-24, A12-34 and A18-34--and raised year-ago levels by incredible triple-digits across the board. Among total viewers, All That averaged 613,000 total viewers (up +108%); Kenan & Kel averaging 597,000 total viewers (+199%); Clarissa Explains It All averaged 478,000 viewers (up +73%): and an average of 532,000 total viewers tuned in to Doug (up +101%).
The first night of "The '90s are All That" also bested the most recent weekly averages for broadcast and basic cable late-night talk shows among young adults. Each show in the block's July 25 debut garnered bigger A12-24 audiences than The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Conan, Late Show with David Letterman, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Lopez Tonight and Jimmy Kimmel Live. Also, among A12-34s, All That out-delivered Leno, Letterman, Fallon, Lopez and Kimmel.
During the block's premiere, the Nickelodeon brand had a total of 20 worldwide trending topics on Twitter - owning 8 of 9 trending topics worldwide and all 9 organic trending topics locally in New York City. Both Nickelodeon Twitter handle and '90s Facebook page are still growing rapidly. The Nick '90s Facebook page (www.facebook.com/90sAreAllThat) doubled in fans overnight by 100,000, and the search volume for the series Doug reached the volcanic level on Google. According to Trendrr.tv, a social television chart ranking television's daily social activities, 4 of the top 10 cable shows on Monday, July 25, were part of "The '90s Are All That" block.
That is some start, but that was only the premiere night. We'll keep you up to date of the ratings progress as we get it and we'll continue to of course bring you any programming updates!
Back to the TCA Summer 2011 Press Tour, yesterday the big network to present was HBO with other nets like AMC and BBC America also presenting. We'll cover what HBO and AMC presented and stay tuned for updates from the MTV Networks presentation that will be today, as the cable portion comes to a close today. HBO has confirmed the fall debut dates for the new and returning series Boardwalk Empire, Hung, How To Make It In America, Bored to Death and Enlightened.
Boardwalk Empire kicks off its 12-episode second season Sunday, Sept. 25 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. The Golden Globe-winning drama series stars Steve Buscemi as "Nucky" Thompsonand is created by Terence Winter, who also serves as executive producer with Martin Scorsese, Stephen Levinson, Mark Wahlberg and Tim Van Patten. Hung launches its ten-episode third season Sunday, Oct. 2 at 10:00 p.m.. The Emmy-nominated comedy series stars Thomas Jane. Next, How To Make It In America begins its eight-episode second season also on Sunday, Oct. 2 at 10:30- p.m. Bryan Greenberg and Lake Bell star and Mark Wahlberg is one of the executive producers. Another comedy, Bored to Death, returns for its eight-episode third season Monday, Oct. 10 at 9:00 p.m. The comedy series stars Jason Schwartzman. Finally, the new series Enlightened launches its ten-episode season Monday, Oct. 10 at 9:30 p.m. Laura Dern stars in the series, which she also executive produces.
Onto AMC, after breaking the Western mold with the hit mini-series Broken Trail, AMC returns to the genre with the epic drama Hell On Wheels, starring Anson Mount, Common, Colm Meaney, Dominique McElligott, Ben Esler, Philip Burke and Eddie Spears. Hell On Wheels, is set to premiere on the network with a ten episode run on Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 10PM ET/PT.
Of course the second season of The Walking Dead will premiere on Sunday, October 16th at 9PM ET. The Walking Dead is based on the comic book written by Robert Kirkman and published by Skybound and Image comics. The 13-episodes of season two will continue to tell the story of a group of survivors fighting for their lives after a zombie apocalypse.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars (but we won't cover movie stars like Tom Hanks or John Travolta, since they won't be talking about their past sitcoms likely), so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of August 1-5, 2011, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, August 1, 2011
- Jamie Foxx, Chris Rock, Tina Fey and Betty White - Gayle's funniest guests appear on a Best of: Lolz special of The Gayle King Show at 10am and repeated at 8pm on OWN.
- Hank Azaria (The Simpsons) - Hank stops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC. The Smurfs is now in theaters.
- Danny McBride (Eastbound and Down) - Catch Danny on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jason Batman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Jason visits Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart at 11pm. The Change-Up opens in theaters on Augus 5.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds) - Watch Kevin on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Steve Harvey and Paul Reiser - Steve and Paul appear on a Best of: Big Daddies special of The Gayle King Show at 10am on OWN.
- Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith - View inside Will and Jada's home on NBC's Today between 7-9am.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Jeremy appears on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Jason Batman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Watch Jason NBC's Today between 7-9am and later on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Adrian Grenier (Entourage) - Catch Adrian on Lopez Tonight at 12am on TBS.
- Melissa Joan Hart (Melissa and Joey/Sabrina, the Teenage Witch/Clarissa Explains It All) - Melissa visits LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, so check your listings.
- Roseanne Barr (Roseanne) - Roseanne stops by The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Jeremy continues to make the rounds on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Jason chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT and then later visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Hank Azaria (The Simpsons) - Hank drops by Lopez Tonight at 12am on TBS.
- Caroline Rhea (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch) - Watch Caroline on LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, so check your listings.
- Alyson Hanigan (How I Met Your Mother) - Catch Alyson on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Tichina Arnold (Happily Divorced/Everybody Hates Chris/Martin) - Tichina visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell) - Mario is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Jason Ritter (The Class) - Catch Jason on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (August)
08/04 - The Comeback - The Complete Series
08/04 - I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 2 (Blu-ray)
08/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - Season Three
08/11 - The Jeffersons - Season Eight
08/11 - Maude - The Complete Second Season
08/11 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fourth Season
08/11 - The Jeff Foxworthy Show - The COmplete Series (Mill Creek)
08/18 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fifth Season
08/18 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Final (Fourth) Season
08/25 - King of the Hill - The Complete 11th Season
08/25 - The Mindy Project - Season Three
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, August 5
The Middle - "Operation Infiltration" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Frankie accompanies Brick on a school field trip and attempts to help her socially inept son make friends with a couple of boys. Meanwhile, when Devin scolds Axl for being mean to his sister, he tries to make it look like they are the best of friends when Sue spends the weekend at his house; and while trying to thin out some of their hoarding father’s massive stockpile of junk, Mike gets a sinking feeling that he may have bullied his brother Rusty (Norm Macdonald) a bit too much as kids and turned him into the hapless man that he is today.
The Goldbergs - "Dance Party USA" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Thinking Pop’s luck can rub off on him, Adam gambles at school and loses his toys as a result. Beverly replaces them but Adam knows better. He also learns something new about Pops that allows Adam to accept his grandfather for who he is. Meanwhile, Erica dreams to dance on a popular TV dance show, but her dream quickly turns into a nightmare when Barry gives her pink eye and she’s not in a condition to be on television.
Modern Family - "Grill, Interrupted" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Jay’s birthday brings everyone together and Phil is beside himself over the super cool gift he got Jay, a high-tech outdoor grill. Claire and Mitch decide they will “offer” to pay back the money Jay loaned them ages ago as their gift not really thinking he will take them up on it, and Gloria teaches Manny and Luke a lesson about drinking, while Andy gets real awkward with Haley when she brings over her new doctor boyfriend.
black-ish - "Sex, Lies and Vasectomies" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Bow learns from her colleague that Dre never had the vasectomy a few years back that he was supposedly scheduled, so she decides to see if he’ll come clean and tell the truth.
Mr. Robinson - "Pilot" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Series Premiere)
After a chance encounter, musician Craig (Craig Robinson) decides take a substitute music teacher gig to win over his high-school sweetheart, Victoria (guest star Meagan Good). Things don't go exactly as planned with Victoria, but he connects with the students and colorful faculty. Inspired by Craig's real-life experiences as a music teacher, the series also stars Peri Gilpin, Ben Koldyke, Amandla Stenberg, Brandon T. Jackson, Spencer Grammer and Tim Bagley. Asif Ali, Dante Brown, Ethan Lee, Francesca Maia, Lamonica Garrett, Aidan Cullen, Alvin Cowan and Gillian Shure also guest star. Read our review.
Mr. Robinson - "Flesh for Fantasy" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When rock legend Neville Rex (guest star Gary Cole) teases Nasty Delicious with a possible record contract, Craig (Craig Robinson) invites Neville to speak to his class in hopes of sealing the deal. But when Neville shows up at school, Craig learns that Principal Taylor (Peri Gilpin) used to date him. And when she falls into her old groupie habits, the faculty is forced to take action. Meanwhile, Victoria (guest star Meagan Good) advises the other teachers on a good investment, but their spending habits get out of control.
Melissa & Joey - "Double Happiness" (ABC Family, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Shocking news arrives just as Mel's senate campaign begins; Ryder receives his orders from the Navy.
Baby Daddy - "It's a Nice Day for a Wheeler Wedding" (ABC Family, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Tucker learns that Bonnie's friend is trying to sabotage her wedding; Ben gives an inspiring speech.
The Jim Gaffigan Show - "In the Name of the Father" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Jim and Jeannie agree to have dinner with Daniel and his father Art to serve as buffers in their tense father/son relationship. After finishing dinner Dave joins the group for their wild night.
Impastor - "Thou Shalt Not Steal" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
To pay off another gambling loss, Buddy steals a ruby necklace from a woman in a coffin. Dora and Alexa have a falling out over a church fashion show and Schmidt becomes smitten with a mystery woman.
Born Again Virgin - "No New Friends" / "Go Hard or Go Home" (TV One, 10:00PM ET/PT) (Series Premiere)
"No New Friends" - Jenna looks for support and joins a Modern Day Virgin group; Tara tests her acting skills; Kelly learns to get along with a new employee.
"Go Hard or Go Home" - Kelly lands a big client for the firm; Jenna's works on her blog; Tara tries to create her own reality show.
Wednesday, August 5
- Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother) - Watch Jason on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Adam Pally (The Mindy Project/Happy Endings) - Adam appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jeffrey Tambor (Transparent/Arrested Development/The Larry Sanders Show) - Jeffrey visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Louis C.K. (Louie) - Louis stops by Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart at 11pm.
- Jim Jefferies (Legit) - Jim is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/Café Americain/One Day at a Time) - Valerie stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Nick Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Nick talks about discovered at 6-years-old, the craziest thing a fan has ever done and what feature he finds most attractive in the opposite sex on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- John O'Hurley (Seinfeld/The Mullets) - John talks about playing the infamous Mr. Peterman character, turning 60, fatherhood and more on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Sherri Shepherd (The Soul Man/Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- Jordan Hinson (Kevin from Work) - Jordan gives a peek at her new series Kevin from Work on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Dania Ramirez (Entourage) - Dania appears on a repeat of Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Craig Robinson (Mr. Robinson/The Office) - Craig talks about Mr. Robinson on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET..
- Jerrod Carmichael (The Carmichael Show) - Jerrod talks about The Carmichael Show on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Ed is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Peri Gilpin (Mr. Robinson/Frasier) - Peri appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Fuller House/Full House) - Candace guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.