Thursday, February 03, 2011
TV Land Taping 3 Sitcom Pilots, To Honor Regis at 9th TV Land Awards; ABC Family Picks-Up 3 Pilots to Series
The next pilot will be taped next week (Feb. 8). The pilot is titled Happily Divorced and is based on Fran Drescher's real life. In addition to co-writing/exec producing, the former The Nanny star will star in the project, about a woman who re-enters the dating world after finding out that her husband is gay. It focuses on how she juggles her relationship with her current boyfriend and ex-husband post-divorce. John Michael Higgins, D.W. Moffett, Valente Rogriguez (George Lopez), Rita Moreno, Robert Walden and Tichina Arnold (Everybody Hates Chris) also star.
The final pilot tapes a week later (Feb. 16). It doesn't have an official title yet, but it known as the Untitled Terri Minsky Pilot. Creator/producer Terri Minsky (Less Than Perfect), presents a comedy set at a regional beverage manufacturer and distributor in Oregon centering on a thirty-something, Ivy League-educated New York woman who takes over as the boss. Her enthusiasm is dampened when her boyfriend doesn't follow her and nobody at the new company wants her there. Starring Christine Taylor (The Brady Bunch Movie), Barry Watson (Samantha Who?) and The View's Sherri Shepherd (Sherri, Less Than Perfect). The pilot was previously titled Rip City.
We will of course let you know if any of these are picked-up to series to join Hot in Cleveland and Retired at 35. What do you think about these potential series? Which one(s) do you want on the air? Sound off on our message board!
In other TV Land news, beloved Emmy(R) Award-winning television host Regis Philbin (LIVE! with Regis and Kelly, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire) will receive the Legend Award at The Ninth Annual TV Land Awards in New York City. The star-studded celebration will be held at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center on Sunday, April 10 and will premiere on TV Land on Sunday, April 17 at 9pm. The awards show moves to New York for the first time, after the previous eight shows were in the Los Angeles area.
The Legend Award is presented to an entertainer or a television show that has stood the test of time and ranks among the most memorable and celebrated in television and movie history. Previous winners include Garry Marshall, Don Rickles, Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner, the cast of The Dick Van Dyke Show and the cast of Cheers. On January 18, 2011, Regis Philbin announced on-air that after 28 years, he would retire as host of LIVE! With Regis and Kelly" later this year.
Philbin joins previously announced honorees The Cosby Show, which will receive the Impact Award at this year's show, and the cast of Family Ties, which will receive the Fan Favorite Award. More honorees besides these two series and Philbin will be announced shortly. So stay tuned.
Finally, ABC Family has picked-up three pilots to series. Two are dramas and one is a multi-camera sitcom. The two one-hour dramas are Switched at Birth and The Nine Lives of Chloe King, and the half-hour multi-cam comedy series is The Great State of Georgia. The three original series will debut on the network later this year.
Switched at Birth is a one-hour scripted drama that tells the story of two teenage girls who discover they were accidentally switched as newborns in the hospital. The series stars newcomer Katie Leclerc as Daphne Vasquez; Vanessa Marano (Gilmore Girls) as Bay Kennish; Constance Marie (George Lopez) as Regina Vasquez; D.W. Moffett (Friday Night Lights) as John Kennish; Lea Thompson (Caroline in the City) as Kathryn Kennish; and Lucas Grabeel (High School Musical) as Toby Kennish.
The Nine Lives of Chloe King is a one-hour scripted drama about Chloe King who is looking forward to celebrating her birthday with her friends and single mother, just like every other year... that is until she starts developing heightened abilities and discovers she's being pursued by a mysterious figure. The series stars Skyler Samuels (The Gates) as Chloe King; Amy Pietz (The Office, Caroline in the City) as Meredith King; Grey Damon (True Blood) as Brian; newcomer Grace Phipps as Amy; Benjamin Stone (10 Things I Hate About You) as Alek; Alyssa Diaz (Southland) as Jasmine; and Ki Hong Lee (The Secret Life of the American Teenager) as Paul.
And finally, The Great State of Georgia, an ABC Studios Production, is a half-hour multi-cam comedy series starring Raven-Symone as Georgia, an aspiring actress with a larger than life personality, and her science geek best friend, who try to make headway in New York City. Majandra Delfino (Roswell) also stars, as Jo and Meagen Fay (Malcolm in the Middle) as Aunt Honey.
Stay tuned for premiere dates for all three series. The The Great State of Georgia could be a nice companion with ABC Family's hit comedy Melissa & Joey, which returns with 18 more episodes to complete its first season of 30 episodes sometime this spring or summer.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, March 23
Superstore - "Mateo's Last Day" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mateo (Nico Santos) faces complications with his transfer to a Cloud 9 Signature store, he becomes desperate to resolve his undocumented status. Meanwhile, Amy (America Ferrera) helps Glenn (Mark McKinney) battle an Internet troll, Jonah (Ben Feldman) and Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) try to give Mateo legal counsel, and Dina (Lauren Ash) and Garrett (Colton Dunn) take issue with corporate.
Powerless - "I'm a Friend You" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emily (Vanessa Hudgens) learns that Jackie (Christina Kirk) is in need of some extra cash, she can't help but try and do what she can to help her out. Meanwhile, Van (Alan Tudyk) is on a witch hunt and has his eyes set on Teddy (Danny Pudi), Ron (Ron Funches) and Wendy (Jennie Pierson).
Baskets - "Circus" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Christine turns to Arby's after Chip joins the Russians.
Thursday, March 23
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie is a guest on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Stephanie is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Zosia Mamet (Girls) - Zosia is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nick D'Agosto (Trial & Error) - Nick is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody talks about Wilson on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Woody and Laura Dern will be on People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.