Tuesday, February 22, 2011
"As one of the most acclaimed television shows ever, Cheers has a tremendous fan base who will appreciate being able to watch the series every day of the week on ReelzChannel and both seasoned and new viewers will have the opportunity to watch the series from the beginning," said Mike Smith SVP of ReelzChannel Programming.
Cheers is a top-rated, 28-time Emmy-winning half-hour comedy series centering on the colorful characters who frequent a Boston bar owned by former Red Sox pitcher Sam Malone (Ted Danson). It joins a line-up with other sitcoms as well including Ted Danson's other sitcom Becker, NewsRadio and 3rd Rock from the Sun. With the addition of the sitcom, some of the timings changed on Jan. 31, so we'll recap the series schedule for you. The weekday series line-up has Carson's Comedy Classics still at 8am ET, followed still by Becker at 9am ET, with Cheers now at 10am ET, and NewsRadio rounds out the morning schedule at 11am ET. Jumping to 2pm ET, an encore of NewsRadio airs, followed by back-to-back hours of comedic law series Ally McBeal at 3pm and 4pm ET. In the evening line-up, an encore of Becker airs in the 6pm ET hour leading into an hour of 3rd Rock from the Sun. A primetime movie airs at 8pm ET leading into family drama Brothers & Sisters at 10pm ET. Then another movie airs at 11pm ET leading into the Cheers encore at 1am ET. On Saturdays, Becker is still at 9am ET and is Cheers at 10am ET, with an encore of Becker in the 6pm ET hour leading into an hour of 3rd Rock from the Sun. All of that is the same as weekdays. The Sunday line-up for series has Becker at 9am ET and Cheers at 10am ET again. There is also back-to-back episodes of family drama Brothers & Sisters at 12 noon ET and 1pm ET. And Becker encore is once again in the 6pm ET hour.
Cheers on the ReelzChannel schedule is a nice addition and we hope some more sitcoms join the line-up soon as well. Cheers can also still be seen weekday afternoons on WGN America, weekday mornings on HDnet and late nights every week night on the Hallmark Channel. ReelzChannel TV is carried via satellite on DIRECTV (Channel 238) and DISH Network (Channel 299). Local cable channel information is available on the website's home page through a zip code look-up. The network is the exclusive home for the upcoming eight-part mini-series The Kennedys (starring Greg Kinnear, Barry Pepper, Katie Holmes, and Tom Wilkinson), with the world premiere on Sunday, April 3, 2011.
In addition to the two drama and sitcom pick-ups a few weeks ago, ABC Family has picked-up one more drama. ABC Family has picked up The Lying Game. The series follows Emma, a kind-hearted foster kid who learns she has an identical twin sister, Sutton. Sutton, unlike Emma, was adopted by wealthy parents and is seemingly living an ideal life. After their initial meeting, Sutton talks Emma into stepping into her life for a few days while she pursues a lead on the mysterious identity of their birth mother. After Sutton inexplicably fails to return to the girls' designated meeting place, Emma must decide whether to come clean about her identity and risk her own safety in the hope of uncovering her twin sister's whereabouts, along with the truth about why they were separated in the first place.
The Lying Game stars Alexandra Chando (As The World Turns) as Emma/Sutton; Andy Buckley (The Office) as Ted; Helen Slater as Kristin; Blair Redford (90210) as Garrett; Sharon Pierre-Louis (Lincoln Heights) as Nisha; Kirsten Prout (Kyle XY) as Char; Alice Greczyn (Lincoln Heights) as Mads; and Allie Gonino (10 Things I Hate About You) as Laurel.
Charles Pratt, Jr. (Ugly Betty, Desperate Housewives) serves as executive producer and writer; Leslie Morgenstein (Pretty Little Liars, The Nine Lives of Chloe King) and Gina Girolamo will serve as executive producers. Produced by Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Horizon Television, the series is based on the novel by author Sara Shepard (Pretty Little Liars).
The drama joins a roster of other new series, including the one-hour dramas The Nine Lives of Chloe King and Switched at Birth, and the half-hour multi-cam comedy series, The Great State of Georgia. This drama would work well paired-up with ABC Family's hit series Pretty Little Liars, which is also based on a novel by Sara Shepard. It is unclear how many episodes have been ordered and when the series will premiere this year. Pretty Little Liars is returning with its second season in the summer (likely June), as its first season wraps up on March 21.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, April 29
Henry Danger - "Stuck in Two Holes" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Whaaaat?!? Captain Man and Kid Danger are each stuck in a hole?!? Charlotte and Jasper better go help, 'cuz Schwoz is takin' a bean bath!
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "I Want My Mae B. Back" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After Mae starts to spend more time with her new boyfriend, Dawn begins to get jealous so enlists Nicky, Ricky, and Dicky to help separate them so that she can have her friend back.
Sunday, April 30
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ike Barinholtz (The Mindy Project) - Ike appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Joel is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jake Johnson (New Girl) - Jake visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to the Captain/Gary Unmarried) - Al appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ashton Kutcher (The Ranch/Two and a Half Men/That '70s Show) - Ashton appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison teams up with Mario Batali to make a cheesy, decadent Gnocchi Al Telefono and dishes about her new Broadway show on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Charlie Hunnam (Undeclared) - Charlie will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11:15am.
- Nick Robinson (Melissa & Joey) - Nick talks about his new film Everything, Everything on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.