Tuesday, February 22, 2011
"As one of the most acclaimed television shows ever, Cheers has a tremendous fan base who will appreciate being able to watch the series every day of the week on ReelzChannel and both seasoned and new viewers will have the opportunity to watch the series from the beginning," said Mike Smith SVP of ReelzChannel Programming.
Cheers is a top-rated, 28-time Emmy-winning half-hour comedy series centering on the colorful characters who frequent a Boston bar owned by former Red Sox pitcher Sam Malone (Ted Danson). It joins a line-up with other sitcoms as well including Ted Danson's other sitcom Becker, NewsRadio and 3rd Rock from the Sun. With the addition of the sitcom, some of the timings changed on Jan. 31, so we'll recap the series schedule for you. The weekday series line-up has Carson's Comedy Classics still at 8am ET, followed still by Becker at 9am ET, with Cheers now at 10am ET, and NewsRadio rounds out the morning schedule at 11am ET. Jumping to 2pm ET, an encore of NewsRadio airs, followed by back-to-back hours of comedic law series Ally McBeal at 3pm and 4pm ET. In the evening line-up, an encore of Becker airs in the 6pm ET hour leading into an hour of 3rd Rock from the Sun. A primetime movie airs at 8pm ET leading into family drama Brothers & Sisters at 10pm ET. Then another movie airs at 11pm ET leading into the Cheers encore at 1am ET. On Saturdays, Becker is still at 9am ET and is Cheers at 10am ET, with an encore of Becker in the 6pm ET hour leading into an hour of 3rd Rock from the Sun. All of that is the same as weekdays. The Sunday line-up for series has Becker at 9am ET and Cheers at 10am ET again. There is also back-to-back episodes of family drama Brothers & Sisters at 12 noon ET and 1pm ET. And Becker encore is once again in the 6pm ET hour.
Cheers on the ReelzChannel schedule is a nice addition and we hope some more sitcoms join the line-up soon as well. Cheers can also still be seen weekday afternoons on WGN America, weekday mornings on HDnet and late nights every week night on the Hallmark Channel. ReelzChannel TV is carried via satellite on DIRECTV (Channel 238) and DISH Network (Channel 299). Local cable channel information is available on the website's home page through a zip code look-up. The network is the exclusive home for the upcoming eight-part mini-series The Kennedys (starring Greg Kinnear, Barry Pepper, Katie Holmes, and Tom Wilkinson), with the world premiere on Sunday, April 3, 2011.
In addition to the two drama and sitcom pick-ups a few weeks ago, ABC Family has picked-up one more drama. ABC Family has picked up The Lying Game. The series follows Emma, a kind-hearted foster kid who learns she has an identical twin sister, Sutton. Sutton, unlike Emma, was adopted by wealthy parents and is seemingly living an ideal life. After their initial meeting, Sutton talks Emma into stepping into her life for a few days while she pursues a lead on the mysterious identity of their birth mother. After Sutton inexplicably fails to return to the girls' designated meeting place, Emma must decide whether to come clean about her identity and risk her own safety in the hope of uncovering her twin sister's whereabouts, along with the truth about why they were separated in the first place.
The Lying Game stars Alexandra Chando (As The World Turns) as Emma/Sutton; Andy Buckley (The Office) as Ted; Helen Slater as Kristin; Blair Redford (90210) as Garrett; Sharon Pierre-Louis (Lincoln Heights) as Nisha; Kirsten Prout (Kyle XY) as Char; Alice Greczyn (Lincoln Heights) as Mads; and Allie Gonino (10 Things I Hate About You) as Laurel.
Charles Pratt, Jr. (Ugly Betty, Desperate Housewives) serves as executive producer and writer; Leslie Morgenstein (Pretty Little Liars, The Nine Lives of Chloe King) and Gina Girolamo will serve as executive producers. Produced by Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Horizon Television, the series is based on the novel by author Sara Shepard (Pretty Little Liars).
The drama joins a roster of other new series, including the one-hour dramas The Nine Lives of Chloe King and Switched at Birth, and the half-hour multi-cam comedy series, The Great State of Georgia. This drama would work well paired-up with ABC Family's hit series Pretty Little Liars, which is also based on a novel by Sara Shepard. It is unclear how many episodes have been ordered and when the series will premiere this year. Pretty Little Liars is returning with its second season in the summer (likely June), as its first season wraps up on March 21.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, March 23
Superstore - "Mateo's Last Day" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mateo (Nico Santos) faces complications with his transfer to a Cloud 9 Signature store, he becomes desperate to resolve his undocumented status. Meanwhile, Amy (America Ferrera) helps Glenn (Mark McKinney) battle an Internet troll, Jonah (Ben Feldman) and Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) try to give Mateo legal counsel, and Dina (Lauren Ash) and Garrett (Colton Dunn) take issue with corporate.
Powerless - "I'm a Friend You" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emily (Vanessa Hudgens) learns that Jackie (Christina Kirk) is in need of some extra cash, she can't help but try and do what she can to help her out. Meanwhile, Van (Alan Tudyk) is on a witch hunt and has his eyes set on Teddy (Danny Pudi), Ron (Ron Funches) and Wendy (Jennie Pierson).
Baskets - "Circus" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Christine turns to Arby's after Chip joins the Russians.
Thursday, March 23
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie is a guest on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Stephanie is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Zosia Mamet (Girls) - Zosia is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nick D'Agosto (Trial & Error) - Nick is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody talks about Wilson on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Woody and Laura Dern will be on People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.