Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Martin Lawrence will continue to serve as executive producer as well as appear in the series! We will have more information, such as a premiere date, in the coming weeks...so stay with us! Lots of original sitcoms are airing these days on basic cable (MTV, TV Land, ABC Family, CMT, etc). We will have even more original sitcom news tomorrow! So come on back!
First it was Barbara Billingsley, now it's Tom Bosley. Tom Bosley was a warm and comforting presence on American TV sets for decades. Bosley, best known as the often flustered but always fatherly Howard Cunningham on Happy Days, died Tuesday (Oct. 19, 2010) in Palm Springs, CA. Bosley died suffering heart failure at a hospital and also had lung cancer.
Bosley earned a place as one of the most memorable dads in TV history as the hardware store owner, father to Richie (Ron Howard) and Joanie Cunningham (Erin Moran) and landlord to Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli (Henry Winkler) on the long-running sitcom. He played well with his TV wife Marion Ross as well. The sitcom was set in the '50s/60s but aired on ABC from 1974-1984. The series became the #1 show on television by its third season.
Angela Lansbury played Bosley's unfaithful wife in the 1964 Peter Sellers film The World of Henry Orient. Then decades later, from 1984 to 1988, Bosley played a recurring role in Lansbury's long-running TV series, Murder, She Wrote, as folksy Sheriff Amos Tupper. Bosley also played the crime-solving priest in television's The Father Dowling Mysteries, which ran from 1989 to 1991 on ABC.
But it was his fame from Happy Days that lead him to serve as a pitchman for GLAD trash bags along with other products on commercials. Among his many appearances on other TV series include Diagnosis: Unknown, The Law and Mr. Jones, Car 54 Where Are You, Route 66, Ben Casey, The Defenders, The F.B.I., Get Smart, The Virginian, The Mod Squad, Bonanza, Marcus Welby MD, The Bill Cosby Show, Night Gallery, Bewitched, Mission: Impossible, The New Dick Van Dyke Show, The New Temperatures Rising Show, Medical Center, Maude, The Paul Lynde Show, Love American Style, McMillan & Wife, The Love Boat, Streets of San Francisco, Joanie Loves Chachi, Finders of Lost Love, Hotel, Out of this World, Burke's Law, The Drew Carey Show, Boy Meets World, Early Edition, Walker Texas Ranger, ER, Family Law, Touched by an Angel, It's All Relative, Still Standing, One Tree Hill, Family Guy, That '70s Show, and more. He was also a regular on the short lived 1969-70 CBS comedy The Debbie Reynolds Show and the 1972 CBS sitcom The Sandy Duncan Show. He then voiced the character of Harry Boyle on the animated comedy Wait Till Your Father Gets Home from 1972-74 and after that of course came Happy Days. There were a few Happy Days reunion retrospectives as well. Happy Days Reunion Special in 1992 and Happy Days: 30th Anniversary Reunion in 2005, which both aired on ABC.
Tom will be DEEPLY missed. As far as on-air tributes on television, so far there are no marathons planned. But you can watch Happy Days Mon-Thurs on The Hub at 10pm & 10:30pm ET. If they, or any other network, do a marathon, we will let you know. Also, in memory of Tom Bosley, Bio TV will air the Happy Days 30th Anniversary Reunion Special from 2005 on Friday, Oct. 22 at 8AM & 2PM ET/PT. He just celebrated his 83rd birthday on October 1, so Tom was 83.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, September 30
Selfie - "Pilot" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Social Media superstar Eliza Dooley has 263,000 followers who hang on to her every post, tweet and selfie. But after a workplace mishap goes viral, she quickly realizes that being “instafamous” isn’t all it’s cracked up to be and being friended is not the same as having actual friends. She enlists co-worker and marketing guru, Henry, to ‘rebrand’ her self-obsessed reputation and teach her how to connect with people in the real world, whether she ‘likes’ it or not.
Manhattan Love Story - "Pilot" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
In “Pilot,” the audience is introduced to Dana and Peter: young, single and attractive making their way in the big city. Dana grew up in a small town with her sights set on New York romanticizing about the life and love it had to offer while Peter, by contrast, grew up there and feels like he has been there and done that when it comes to life in Manhattan. Dana is determined to succeed in New York in both business and love, while Peter is perfectly content to go on dating his way through it. While it is the streets of New York that offers this duo a first glimpse of each other, it’s family and friends who conspire to set them up. The audience will go along for the ride as they venture on their first date and hear exactly what they really think of each other.
New Girl - "Julie Berkman's Older Sister" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Jess’ dad (guest star Rob Reiner) arrives with his new girlfriend, who happened to be Jess and Cece’s high-school rival (guest star Kaitlin Olson). Meanwhile, Schmidt recruits the guys to be part of a focus group at work to help him land a big new account.
The Mindy Project - "Crimes & Misdemeanors & Ex-BFs" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Mindy comes face-to-face with tax troubles and devises a plan to “rekindle” a fake relationship with Cliff (guest star Glen Howerton), in order to save the practice from her fraudulent past. Meanwhile, Peter and Jeremy secretly try to outdo each other and win Lauren’s (guest star Tracey Wigfield) love.
Tuesday, September 30
- Martin Short (Mulaney/I'm a Big Girl Now) - Catch Martin on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Mr. Warmth is a guest on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family/Encore! Encore!/Charlie Lawrence) - Nathan visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Garry Marshall (Creator of Happy Days/Laverne & Shirley/Mork & Mindy) - Garry stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Jeffrey Tambor (Transparent/Arrested Development/The Larry Sanders Show) - Jeffrey appears on The Colbert Report at 11:30pm on Comedy Central.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family/The Class) - Jesse drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Kate Walsh (Bad Judge) - Kate is a guest on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- B.J. Novak (The Office) - B.J. visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Keke Palmer (True Jackson, VP) - Keke chats on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons and Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Reed Between the Lines/Girlfriends) - The stars of ABC's black-ish are guests on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Lena Dunham (Girls) - Lena is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Analeigh Tipton and Jake McDorman (Manhattan Love Story/Are You There, Chelsea?/Quintuplets) - The stars of ABC's Manhattan Love Story chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. They also join the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Jennie Garth (Mystery Girls/What I Like About You) - Jennie shows the remodel of her personal home on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Christopher Meloni (Surviving Jack/The Fanelli Boys) - Christopher is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York between 7-10am.