Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Martin Lawrence will continue to serve as executive producer as well as appear in the series! We will have more information, such as a premiere date, in the coming weeks...so stay with us! Lots of original sitcoms are airing these days on basic cable (MTV, TV Land, ABC Family, CMT, etc). We will have even more original sitcom news tomorrow! So come on back!
First it was Barbara Billingsley, now it's Tom Bosley. Tom Bosley was a warm and comforting presence on American TV sets for decades. Bosley, best known as the often flustered but always fatherly Howard Cunningham on Happy Days, died Tuesday (Oct. 19, 2010) in Palm Springs, CA. Bosley died suffering heart failure at a hospital and also had lung cancer.
Bosley earned a place as one of the most memorable dads in TV history as the hardware store owner, father to Richie (Ron Howard) and Joanie Cunningham (Erin Moran) and landlord to Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli (Henry Winkler) on the long-running sitcom. He played well with his TV wife Marion Ross as well. The sitcom was set in the '50s/60s but aired on ABC from 1974-1984. The series became the #1 show on television by its third season.
Angela Lansbury played Bosley's unfaithful wife in the 1964 Peter Sellers film The World of Henry Orient. Then decades later, from 1984 to 1988, Bosley played a recurring role in Lansbury's long-running TV series, Murder, She Wrote, as folksy Sheriff Amos Tupper. Bosley also played the crime-solving priest in television's The Father Dowling Mysteries, which ran from 1989 to 1991 on ABC.
But it was his fame from Happy Days that lead him to serve as a pitchman for GLAD trash bags along with other products on commercials. Among his many appearances on other TV series include Diagnosis: Unknown, The Law and Mr. Jones, Car 54 Where Are You, Route 66, Ben Casey, The Defenders, The F.B.I., Get Smart, The Virginian, The Mod Squad, Bonanza, Marcus Welby MD, The Bill Cosby Show, Night Gallery, Bewitched, Mission: Impossible, The New Dick Van Dyke Show, The New Temperatures Rising Show, Medical Center, Maude, The Paul Lynde Show, Love American Style, McMillan & Wife, The Love Boat, Streets of San Francisco, Joanie Loves Chachi, Finders of Lost Love, Hotel, Out of this World, Burke's Law, The Drew Carey Show, Boy Meets World, Early Edition, Walker Texas Ranger, ER, Family Law, Touched by an Angel, It's All Relative, Still Standing, One Tree Hill, Family Guy, That '70s Show, and more. He was also a regular on the short lived 1969-70 CBS comedy The Debbie Reynolds Show and the 1972 CBS sitcom The Sandy Duncan Show. He then voiced the character of Harry Boyle on the animated comedy Wait Till Your Father Gets Home from 1972-74 and after that of course came Happy Days. There were a few Happy Days reunion retrospectives as well. Happy Days Reunion Special in 1992 and Happy Days: 30th Anniversary Reunion in 2005, which both aired on ABC.
Tom will be DEEPLY missed. As far as on-air tributes on television, so far there are no marathons planned. But you can watch Happy Days Mon-Thurs on The Hub at 10pm & 10:30pm ET. If they, or any other network, do a marathon, we will let you know. Also, in memory of Tom Bosley, Bio TV will air the Happy Days 30th Anniversary Reunion Special from 2005 on Friday, Oct. 22 at 8AM & 2PM ET/PT. He just celebrated his 83rd birthday on October 1, so Tom was 83.
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, July 22
Family Guy - "Herpe, the Love Sore" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Brian gives Stewie an STD. Meanwhile, Peter and the guys fight back when another group claims their booth at The Drunken Clam.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "Operation: Broken Feather" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Jake and Amy investigate a string of hotel robberies together, but Jake turns on her when he finds out she may leave the Nine-Nine to work in the Special Crimes unit with “The Vulture” (guest star Dean Winters). Meanwhile Captain Holt and Sergeant Jeffords strategize to make the precinct more efficient.
The Mindy Project - "You've Got Sext" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Mindy tells Danny she has a crush, he thinks she’s talking about him instead of Cliff, the lawyer (guest star Glenn Howerton). Meanwhile, Morgan and Peter find Mindy’s phone and respond to a text from Cliff, which starts off innocently, but escalates into something that may lead to unintended romantic consequences.
The Mindy Project - "French Me, You Idiot" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Mindy (Mindy Kaling) and Danny (Chris Messina) confront the consequences of their relationship after their kiss. Meanwhile, Jeremy (Ed Weeks) and Peter (Adam Pally) devise a plan to poach patients from a competing practice that has shut down.
Sullivan & Son - "Lyle & Son" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
When Steve's old rival, Lyle Winkler (Billy Gardell) opens a bar across the street, we find out he's out to take Steve down as payback for a childhood wrestling match. They settle their differences with a big bartending competition. Meanwhile, Carol's new boss at the DMV, Ralph (Frank Caliendo) drives her crazy with impressions.
Tuesday, July 22
- John Stamos (Full House/Jake in Progress) - Catch John on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Nia Long (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Nia visits LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Tom Lennon (Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) - Tom is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Michael Rapaport (The War at Home) - Michael appears on a repeat of The Arsenio Hall Show, so check your local listings.
- Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Jason guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Lori Loughlin (Full House) - Lori talks about her career and Hallmark Channel series When Calls the Heart on Katie, so check your local listings.
- Steve Byrne (Sullivan & Son) - Steve stops by Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Laura Prepon (That '70s Show/Are You There, Chelsea?) - Laura appears on The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 3am on BET.
- Kevin Hart (The Big House/Undeclared) - Kevin is a guest on a repeat of The Steve Harvey Show, so check your local listings.
- Gillian Jacobs (Community) - Gillian joins the Chew Crew on a repeat of ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Jennie Garth and Tori Spelling (Mystery Girls) - Jennie and Tori stop by to chat about Mystery Girls on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Mark Feuerstein (Good Morning, Miami) - Mark will be on HuffPost Live.