Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Martin Lawrence will continue to serve as executive producer as well as appear in the series! We will have more information, such as a premiere date, in the coming weeks...so stay with us! Lots of original sitcoms are airing these days on basic cable (MTV, TV Land, ABC Family, CMT, etc). We will have even more original sitcom news tomorrow! So come on back!
First it was Barbara Billingsley, now it's Tom Bosley. Tom Bosley was a warm and comforting presence on American TV sets for decades. Bosley, best known as the often flustered but always fatherly Howard Cunningham on Happy Days, died Tuesday (Oct. 19, 2010) in Palm Springs, CA. Bosley died suffering heart failure at a hospital and also had lung cancer.
Bosley earned a place as one of the most memorable dads in TV history as the hardware store owner, father to Richie (Ron Howard) and Joanie Cunningham (Erin Moran) and landlord to Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli (Henry Winkler) on the long-running sitcom. He played well with his TV wife Marion Ross as well. The sitcom was set in the '50s/60s but aired on ABC from 1974-1984. The series became the #1 show on television by its third season.
Angela Lansbury played Bosley's unfaithful wife in the 1964 Peter Sellers film The World of Henry Orient. Then decades later, from 1984 to 1988, Bosley played a recurring role in Lansbury's long-running TV series, Murder, She Wrote, as folksy Sheriff Amos Tupper. Bosley also played the crime-solving priest in television's The Father Dowling Mysteries, which ran from 1989 to 1991 on ABC.
But it was his fame from Happy Days that lead him to serve as a pitchman for GLAD trash bags along with other products on commercials. Among his many appearances on other TV series include Diagnosis: Unknown, The Law and Mr. Jones, Car 54 Where Are You, Route 66, Ben Casey, The Defenders, The F.B.I., Get Smart, The Virginian, The Mod Squad, Bonanza, Marcus Welby MD, The Bill Cosby Show, Night Gallery, Bewitched, Mission: Impossible, The New Dick Van Dyke Show, The New Temperatures Rising Show, Medical Center, Maude, The Paul Lynde Show, Love American Style, McMillan & Wife, The Love Boat, Streets of San Francisco, Joanie Loves Chachi, Finders of Lost Love, Hotel, Out of this World, Burke's Law, The Drew Carey Show, Boy Meets World, Early Edition, Walker Texas Ranger, ER, Family Law, Touched by an Angel, It's All Relative, Still Standing, One Tree Hill, Family Guy, That '70s Show, and more. He was also a regular on the short lived 1969-70 CBS comedy The Debbie Reynolds Show and the 1972 CBS sitcom The Sandy Duncan Show. He then voiced the character of Harry Boyle on the animated comedy Wait Till Your Father Gets Home from 1972-74 and after that of course came Happy Days. There were a few Happy Days reunion retrospectives as well. Happy Days Reunion Special in 1992 and Happy Days: 30th Anniversary Reunion in 2005, which both aired on ABC.
Tom will be DEEPLY missed. As far as on-air tributes on television, so far there are no marathons planned. But you can watch Happy Days Mon-Thurs on The Hub at 10pm & 10:30pm ET. If they, or any other network, do a marathon, we will let you know. Also, in memory of Tom Bosley, Bio TV will air the Happy Days 30th Anniversary Reunion Special from 2005 on Friday, Oct. 22 at 8AM & 2PM ET/PT. He just celebrated his 83rd birthday on October 1, so Tom was 83.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August)
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/20 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 5th Season
07/26 - Family Matters - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
08/02 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
08/09 - Maude - The Complete Final (Sixth) Season
08/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Three
08/23 - Superstore - Season One
08/23 - The Wonder Years - Complete Series (New Slipcase Version)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, August 24
The Goldbergs - "The Dirty Dancing Dance" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Beverly helps Erica plan a “Dirty Dancing” themed dance at school, only to turn on Erica when she realizes it may be inappropriate. Meanwhile, Murray tries to learn dancing with Adam with little luck.
The Goldbergs - "12 Tapes for a Penny" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Adam learns about a mail-order music club and sets up a scheme to get as many tapes as possible, but Beverly believes Erica is behind it all. Meanwhile, Barry works on getting the approval of Bill, Lainey’s father, but he refuses to budge.
The Goldbergs - "Big Orange" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Barry’s favorite shirt is hated by Beverly and girlfriend Lainey, so they hatch a plan together to destroy it. Once his shirt goes missing, Barry asks Adam and Erica to investigate. Meanwhile, Murray decides to tear down the family tree house, leaving Adam distraught.
The Goldbergs - "Dungeons and Dragons, Anyone?" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Adam convinces Coach Mellor to let him be team captain in gym class. He betrays his friends by picking the jocks first, causing the two rivaling squads to battle it out with the game the nerds know best – Dungeons and Dragons! Meanwhile, Erica decides where she wants to go to college but encounters resistance from both Beverly and Murray.
Modern Family - "Express Yourself" (ABC, 10:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Phil has the crazy idea of going on a spontaneous trip to Paris with Claire; the only problem is that they are both so ridiculously tired but try to push through it. Meanwhile, Jay has taken over their bathroom remodel, which proves to be pretty hazardous for Gloria, Manny and Joe. Cameron’s sister Pam is staying at the house after her husband has left her, but her emotional outbursts are driving Mitchell crazy, and he’s afraid it’s setting a bad example for Lily. And Haley and Andy go on a wild night bender.
black-ish - "Hope" (ABC, 10:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When the kids ask some tough questions in the midst of a highly publicized court case involving alleged police brutality and an African-American teenager, Dre and Bow are conflicted on how best to field them. Dre, along with Pops and Ruby, feel the kids need to know what kind of world they’re living in, while Bow would like to give them a more hopeful view about life. When the verdict is announced, the family handles the news in different ways while watching the community react.
Bunk'd - "Dance in My Pants" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Tiffany and Zuri are hoping they'll dance with a cute boy at the annual dance; Emma finds out that Lou and Xander have a history.
Wednesday, August 24
- John Krasinski (The Office) - Watch John on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Adam Pally (The Mindy Project/Happy Endings) - Adam appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Jason is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Marc Maron (Maron) - Maron appears on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Tori Spelling (Mystery Girls) - Tori is a guest on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry guest co-hosts a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika is a guest on Popcorn with Peter Travers on ABC News.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril appears on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local lisitngs.
- Hilary Duff (Younger/Lizzie McGuire) - Hilary teams with Michael Symon to make a Chicken Parmesan Hero on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Tia Mowry (Instant Mom/The Game/Sister, Sister) - Tia will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Casey Wilson (Happy Endings/Marry Me) - Casey talks about One Mississippi on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Sabrina Carpenter (Girl Meets World) - Sabrina dishes on the fate of Girl Meets World Season 4 and the big wedding scene on People Now at 8:30am.
- John Krasinski (The Office), Charlie Day (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) and Margo Martindale (The Millers) - The cast of The Hollars will be on People Now at 8:30am.
- Joey Bragg (Liv and Maddie) - Joey is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.