Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Martin Lawrence will continue to serve as executive producer as well as appear in the series! We will have more information, such as a premiere date, in the coming weeks...so stay with us! Lots of original sitcoms are airing these days on basic cable (MTV, TV Land, ABC Family, CMT, etc). We will have even more original sitcom news tomorrow! So come on back!
First it was Barbara Billingsley, now it's Tom Bosley. Tom Bosley was a warm and comforting presence on American TV sets for decades. Bosley, best known as the often flustered but always fatherly Howard Cunningham on Happy Days, died Tuesday (Oct. 19, 2010) in Palm Springs, CA. Bosley died suffering heart failure at a hospital and also had lung cancer.
Bosley earned a place as one of the most memorable dads in TV history as the hardware store owner, father to Richie (Ron Howard) and Joanie Cunningham (Erin Moran) and landlord to Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli (Henry Winkler) on the long-running sitcom. He played well with his TV wife Marion Ross as well. The sitcom was set in the '50s/60s but aired on ABC from 1974-1984. The series became the #1 show on television by its third season.
Angela Lansbury played Bosley's unfaithful wife in the 1964 Peter Sellers film The World of Henry Orient. Then decades later, from 1984 to 1988, Bosley played a recurring role in Lansbury's long-running TV series, Murder, She Wrote, as folksy Sheriff Amos Tupper. Bosley also played the crime-solving priest in television's The Father Dowling Mysteries, which ran from 1989 to 1991 on ABC.
But it was his fame from Happy Days that lead him to serve as a pitchman for GLAD trash bags along with other products on commercials. Among his many appearances on other TV series include Diagnosis: Unknown, The Law and Mr. Jones, Car 54 Where Are You, Route 66, Ben Casey, The Defenders, The F.B.I., Get Smart, The Virginian, The Mod Squad, Bonanza, Marcus Welby MD, The Bill Cosby Show, Night Gallery, Bewitched, Mission: Impossible, The New Dick Van Dyke Show, The New Temperatures Rising Show, Medical Center, Maude, The Paul Lynde Show, Love American Style, McMillan & Wife, The Love Boat, Streets of San Francisco, Joanie Loves Chachi, Finders of Lost Love, Hotel, Out of this World, Burke's Law, The Drew Carey Show, Boy Meets World, Early Edition, Walker Texas Ranger, ER, Family Law, Touched by an Angel, It's All Relative, Still Standing, One Tree Hill, Family Guy, That '70s Show, and more. He was also a regular on the short lived 1969-70 CBS comedy The Debbie Reynolds Show and the 1972 CBS sitcom The Sandy Duncan Show. He then voiced the character of Harry Boyle on the animated comedy Wait Till Your Father Gets Home from 1972-74 and after that of course came Happy Days. There were a few Happy Days reunion retrospectives as well. Happy Days Reunion Special in 1992 and Happy Days: 30th Anniversary Reunion in 2005, which both aired on ABC.
Tom will be DEEPLY missed. As far as on-air tributes on television, so far there are no marathons planned. But you can watch Happy Days Mon-Thurs on The Hub at 10pm & 10:30pm ET. If they, or any other network, do a marathon, we will let you know. Also, in memory of Tom Bosley, Bio TV will air the Happy Days 30th Anniversary Reunion Special from 2005 on Friday, Oct. 22 at 8AM & 2PM ET/PT. He just celebrated his 83rd birthday on October 1, so Tom was 83.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January)
01/06 - The Cosby Show - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
01/06 - The Cosby Show - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
01/06 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
01/06 - Girls - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
01/06 - Married with Children - Season Seven (Mill Creek)
01/06 - Married with Children - Season Eight (Mill Creek)
01/06 - Married with Children - Seasons Seven and Eight (Mill Creek)
01/13 - The Big House - The Complete Series
01/13 - Episodes - The Third Season
01/13 - The Facts of Life - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory
01/20 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, January 26
Monday, January 26
- Louis CK (Louie) - Watch Louis on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin appears on The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Tony Danza (Taxi/Who's the Boss?) - Tony is a guest on The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Alan Alda (M*A*S*H) - Alan visits The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) - Maya appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ken Marino (Marry Me/Party Down), John Gemberling (Broad City/Marry Me) and Tymberlee Hill (Marry Me/The Hotwives of Orlando) - Ken, John and Tymberlee are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Amanda Peet (Togetherness/Bent) - Amanda stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin chats on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Olivia Munn (Perfect Couples) - Olivia appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Bob Saget (Full House/How I Met Your Mother) - Bob is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 3am on BET.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly visits The Real, so check your local listings. She also guest-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The New Class) - Mario and his wife Courtney are guests on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York between 7-10am.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal - NeNe talks about the highlights of the SAG Awards on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Josh Molina (Sports Night) - Josh is a guest on SI Now.