Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Martin Lawrence will continue to serve as executive producer as well as appear in the series! We will have more information, such as a premiere date, in the coming weeks...so stay with us! Lots of original sitcoms are airing these days on basic cable (MTV, TV Land, ABC Family, CMT, etc). We will have even more original sitcom news tomorrow! So come on back!
First it was Barbara Billingsley, now it's Tom Bosley. Tom Bosley was a warm and comforting presence on American TV sets for decades. Bosley, best known as the often flustered but always fatherly Howard Cunningham on Happy Days, died Tuesday (Oct. 19, 2010) in Palm Springs, CA. Bosley died suffering heart failure at a hospital and also had lung cancer.
Bosley earned a place as one of the most memorable dads in TV history as the hardware store owner, father to Richie (Ron Howard) and Joanie Cunningham (Erin Moran) and landlord to Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli (Henry Winkler) on the long-running sitcom. He played well with his TV wife Marion Ross as well. The sitcom was set in the '50s/60s but aired on ABC from 1974-1984. The series became the #1 show on television by its third season.
Angela Lansbury played Bosley's unfaithful wife in the 1964 Peter Sellers film The World of Henry Orient. Then decades later, from 1984 to 1988, Bosley played a recurring role in Lansbury's long-running TV series, Murder, She Wrote, as folksy Sheriff Amos Tupper. Bosley also played the crime-solving priest in television's The Father Dowling Mysteries, which ran from 1989 to 1991 on ABC.
But it was his fame from Happy Days that lead him to serve as a pitchman for GLAD trash bags along with other products on commercials. Among his many appearances on other TV series include Diagnosis: Unknown, The Law and Mr. Jones, Car 54 Where Are You, Route 66, Ben Casey, The Defenders, The F.B.I., Get Smart, The Virginian, The Mod Squad, Bonanza, Marcus Welby MD, The Bill Cosby Show, Night Gallery, Bewitched, Mission: Impossible, The New Dick Van Dyke Show, The New Temperatures Rising Show, Medical Center, Maude, The Paul Lynde Show, Love American Style, McMillan & Wife, The Love Boat, Streets of San Francisco, Joanie Loves Chachi, Finders of Lost Love, Hotel, Out of this World, Burke's Law, The Drew Carey Show, Boy Meets World, Early Edition, Walker Texas Ranger, ER, Family Law, Touched by an Angel, It's All Relative, Still Standing, One Tree Hill, Family Guy, That '70s Show, and more. He was also a regular on the short lived 1969-70 CBS comedy The Debbie Reynolds Show and the 1972 CBS sitcom The Sandy Duncan Show. He then voiced the character of Harry Boyle on the animated comedy Wait Till Your Father Gets Home from 1972-74 and after that of course came Happy Days. There were a few Happy Days reunion retrospectives as well. Happy Days Reunion Special in 1992 and Happy Days: 30th Anniversary Reunion in 2005, which both aired on ABC.
Tom will be DEEPLY missed. As far as on-air tributes on television, so far there are no marathons planned. But you can watch Happy Days Mon-Thurs on The Hub at 10pm & 10:30pm ET. If they, or any other network, do a marathon, we will let you know. Also, in memory of Tom Bosley, Bio TV will air the Happy Days 30th Anniversary Reunion Special from 2005 on Friday, Oct. 22 at 8AM & 2PM ET/PT. He just celebrated his 83rd birthday on October 1, so Tom was 83.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)
10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonders Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, October 29
The Middle - "Halloween V" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It's Halloween night, and Frankie and Mike are stunned – and a bit scared -- to learn that Brick has invited a girl over to the house just to hang with him. Meanwhile, to help supplement her college fund, Sue attempts to put together a pumpkin patch screening of the animated classic, “It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown,” and Axl reluctantly goes to the library to write a history paper and ironically gets locked inside after staying past closing hours.
The Goldbergs - "Family Takes Care of Beverly" (ABC, 8:30PM
When Pops accidentally starts a fire in his apartment during a Halloween party, he’s evicted and Beverly invites him to move into the Goldbergs’ home. Pops’ wild lifestyle is soon too much for the family to handle and they decide to look into other options. Meanwhile, Barry stops Erica from eating Pop Rocks candy with soda, since according to urban legend, the combination would kill her. Since he “saves” her, Barry wants something in return from Erica.
Modern Family - "Halloween 3: AwesomeLand" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Even though Halloween is Claire’s holiday, she allows Phil to take over this year so instead of her usual fright-fest theme, he decides to turn the house into AwesomeLand! Gloria picks out Princess Fiona and Shrek costumes for her and Jay but Jay decides he wants to be Prince Charming complete with a full head of gorgeous hair, and with the hair comes a new sense of confidence. Elsewhere, Cameron gets overwhelmed by the day’s activities and Mitchell has closing arguments for a huge case, and it doesn’t help that the stenographer is dressed like a spider.
black-ish - "The Prank King" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre fears his holiday fun will be ruined when the older kids balk at the glorious Johnson Halloween tradition of seeing who can pull the most outlandish pranks on each other.
The League - "Taco Standard Time" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Taco takes on the end of Daylight Savings Time. The guys try to help Lane (Zach Woods) during a difficult time. Andre and his cat M'Lady are on the rocks.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Please Say Yes" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Joseph tries to come up with a proposal idea for Leslie; he finds himself struggling with the preparation.
Wednesday, October 29
- Jon Cryer (Two and a Half Men) - Watch Jon on Conan at 11pm on TBS. He will also appear with Ashton Kutcher on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey performs with M. Ward on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Will Arnett (The Millers/Up All Night/Arrested Development) - Will appears on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa visits Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Michael J. Fox (The Michael J. Fox Show/Spin City/Family Ties and Tracy Pollan (Family Ties) - Michael and Tracy are guests on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. Tracy also joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Justin Long (Mom/Ed) - Justin drops by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Tone Bell (Bad Judge) - Tone is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ashton Kutcher (Two and a Half Men/That '70s Show) - Ashton appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jennie Garth (Mystery Girls/What I Like About You) - Jennie reveals behind the scenes secrets of 90210, how she became a DIY queen and life post divorce on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Sherri Shepherd (Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri stops by The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.
- Tyler Ritter (The McCarthys) - Tyler talks about his new comedy series The McCarthys on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Debra and Rach take on their stickiest challenge yet – a grape-stomping competition - on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Kyra Sedgwick (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Kyra talks about Brooklyn Nine-Nine on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster/Sabrina, the Teenage Witch) - Soleil will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Fran Drescher (The Nanny/Happily Divorced) - Fran talks about Chicken Soup for the Soul: Find Your Inner Strength on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Nick Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Nick is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.