Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Martin Lawrence will continue to serve as executive producer as well as appear in the series! We will have more information, such as a premiere date, in the coming weeks...so stay with us! Lots of original sitcoms are airing these days on basic cable (MTV, TV Land, ABC Family, CMT, etc). We will have even more original sitcom news tomorrow! So come on back!
First it was Barbara Billingsley, now it's Tom Bosley. Tom Bosley was a warm and comforting presence on American TV sets for decades. Bosley, best known as the often flustered but always fatherly Howard Cunningham on Happy Days, died Tuesday (Oct. 19, 2010) in Palm Springs, CA. Bosley died suffering heart failure at a hospital and also had lung cancer.
Bosley earned a place as one of the most memorable dads in TV history as the hardware store owner, father to Richie (Ron Howard) and Joanie Cunningham (Erin Moran) and landlord to Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli (Henry Winkler) on the long-running sitcom. He played well with his TV wife Marion Ross as well. The sitcom was set in the '50s/60s but aired on ABC from 1974-1984. The series became the #1 show on television by its third season.
Angela Lansbury played Bosley's unfaithful wife in the 1964 Peter Sellers film The World of Henry Orient. Then decades later, from 1984 to 1988, Bosley played a recurring role in Lansbury's long-running TV series, Murder, She Wrote, as folksy Sheriff Amos Tupper. Bosley also played the crime-solving priest in television's The Father Dowling Mysteries, which ran from 1989 to 1991 on ABC.
But it was his fame from Happy Days that lead him to serve as a pitchman for GLAD trash bags along with other products on commercials. Among his many appearances on other TV series include Diagnosis: Unknown, The Law and Mr. Jones, Car 54 Where Are You, Route 66, Ben Casey, The Defenders, The F.B.I., Get Smart, The Virginian, The Mod Squad, Bonanza, Marcus Welby MD, The Bill Cosby Show, Night Gallery, Bewitched, Mission: Impossible, The New Dick Van Dyke Show, The New Temperatures Rising Show, Medical Center, Maude, The Paul Lynde Show, Love American Style, McMillan & Wife, The Love Boat, Streets of San Francisco, Joanie Loves Chachi, Finders of Lost Love, Hotel, Out of this World, Burke's Law, The Drew Carey Show, Boy Meets World, Early Edition, Walker Texas Ranger, ER, Family Law, Touched by an Angel, It's All Relative, Still Standing, One Tree Hill, Family Guy, That '70s Show, and more. He was also a regular on the short lived 1969-70 CBS comedy The Debbie Reynolds Show and the 1972 CBS sitcom The Sandy Duncan Show. He then voiced the character of Harry Boyle on the animated comedy Wait Till Your Father Gets Home from 1972-74 and after that of course came Happy Days. There were a few Happy Days reunion retrospectives as well. Happy Days Reunion Special in 1992 and Happy Days: 30th Anniversary Reunion in 2005, which both aired on ABC.
Tom will be DEEPLY missed. As far as on-air tributes on television, so far there are no marathons planned. But you can watch Happy Days Mon-Thurs on The Hub at 10pm & 10:30pm ET. If they, or any other network, do a marathon, we will let you know. Also, in memory of Tom Bosley, Bio TV will air the Happy Days 30th Anniversary Reunion Special from 2005 on Friday, Oct. 22 at 8AM & 2PM ET/PT. He just celebrated his 83rd birthday on October 1, so Tom was 83.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/26 - Family Mattters - The Complete Seventh Season
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, July 26
Wrecked - "The Adventures of Beth and Lamar" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Danny and Owen start a new camp; two survivors try to escape the island; the island makes a discovery that could change everything.
Best Friends Whenever - "Worst Night Whenever" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Bret and Chet worry about their sixth grade dance; haunted by the memories of their own experience, Cyd and Shelby go back in time for a do-over.
In the Cut - "Very Superstitious" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Kenny becomes a savvy saver; everyone thinks the shop is haunted.
Tuesday, July 26
- David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me!) - Catch David on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Abby Elliott (Odd Mom Out) - Abby stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. She will also be on People Now at 8:30am.
- Maria Bamford (Lady Dynamite) - Maria visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Rex Lee (Young & Hungry/Suburgatory) - Rex is a guest on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso joins the Chew Crew on a repeat of ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Marilu Henner (Taxi/Evening Shade) - Marilu talks about how she stays slim and fit for life. She reveals her number one anti-aging beauty secret on The Dr. Oz Show, so chek your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul talks about Aliens on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Busy Phillips (Cougar Town) - Busy flashes back to her Freaks and Geeks audition tape on People Now at 8:30am.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette guest co-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Jason talks about Amateur Night on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Ashley Williams (The Jim Gaffigan Show/Good Morning, Miami) - Ashley is a guest on People Now at 8:30am.
- Michael Ian Black (The Jim Gaffigan Show/Ed) - Michael visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.