Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Martin Lawrence will continue to serve as executive producer as well as appear in the series! We will have more information, such as a premiere date, in the coming weeks...so stay with us! Lots of original sitcoms are airing these days on basic cable (MTV, TV Land, ABC Family, CMT, etc). We will have even more original sitcom news tomorrow! So come on back!
First it was Barbara Billingsley, now it's Tom Bosley. Tom Bosley was a warm and comforting presence on American TV sets for decades. Bosley, best known as the often flustered but always fatherly Howard Cunningham on Happy Days, died Tuesday (Oct. 19, 2010) in Palm Springs, CA. Bosley died suffering heart failure at a hospital and also had lung cancer.
Bosley earned a place as one of the most memorable dads in TV history as the hardware store owner, father to Richie (Ron Howard) and Joanie Cunningham (Erin Moran) and landlord to Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli (Henry Winkler) on the long-running sitcom. He played well with his TV wife Marion Ross as well. The sitcom was set in the '50s/60s but aired on ABC from 1974-1984. The series became the #1 show on television by its third season.
Angela Lansbury played Bosley's unfaithful wife in the 1964 Peter Sellers film The World of Henry Orient. Then decades later, from 1984 to 1988, Bosley played a recurring role in Lansbury's long-running TV series, Murder, She Wrote, as folksy Sheriff Amos Tupper. Bosley also played the crime-solving priest in television's The Father Dowling Mysteries, which ran from 1989 to 1991 on ABC.
But it was his fame from Happy Days that lead him to serve as a pitchman for GLAD trash bags along with other products on commercials. Among his many appearances on other TV series include Diagnosis: Unknown, The Law and Mr. Jones, Car 54 Where Are You, Route 66, Ben Casey, The Defenders, The F.B.I., Get Smart, The Virginian, The Mod Squad, Bonanza, Marcus Welby MD, The Bill Cosby Show, Night Gallery, Bewitched, Mission: Impossible, The New Dick Van Dyke Show, The New Temperatures Rising Show, Medical Center, Maude, The Paul Lynde Show, Love American Style, McMillan & Wife, The Love Boat, Streets of San Francisco, Joanie Loves Chachi, Finders of Lost Love, Hotel, Out of this World, Burke's Law, The Drew Carey Show, Boy Meets World, Early Edition, Walker Texas Ranger, ER, Family Law, Touched by an Angel, It's All Relative, Still Standing, One Tree Hill, Family Guy, That '70s Show, and more. He was also a regular on the short lived 1969-70 CBS comedy The Debbie Reynolds Show and the 1972 CBS sitcom The Sandy Duncan Show. He then voiced the character of Harry Boyle on the animated comedy Wait Till Your Father Gets Home from 1972-74 and after that of course came Happy Days. There were a few Happy Days reunion retrospectives as well. Happy Days Reunion Special in 1992 and Happy Days: 30th Anniversary Reunion in 2005, which both aired on ABC.
Tom will be DEEPLY missed. As far as on-air tributes on television, so far there are no marathons planned. But you can watch Happy Days Mon-Thurs on The Hub at 10pm & 10:30pm ET. If they, or any other network, do a marathon, we will let you know. Also, in memory of Tom Bosley, Bio TV will air the Happy Days 30th Anniversary Reunion Special from 2005 on Friday, Oct. 22 at 8AM & 2PM ET/PT. He just celebrated his 83rd birthday on October 1, so Tom was 83.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)
10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonders Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Read Our Review
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, November 27
The Big Bang Theory - "The Thanksgiving Coupling" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Sheldon protests when the gang drags him to Mrs. Wolowitz’s house for Thanksgiving. Meanwhile, Penny and Leonard must deal with a mistake from her past.
Mom - "Kimchi and a Monkey Playing Harmonica" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Christy has mixed feelings about Baxter's new relationship with Candace. Meanwhile, things between Bonnie and Alvin heat up. Sara Rue guest stars as Candace; Edward Asner guest stars as Christy and Bonnie’s neighbor, Jack. Kevin Pollak returns as Alvin.
Two and a Half Men - "Oontz Oontz Oontz" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Walden decides to foster a 6-year-old boy, but begins to doubt himself when they don’t bond like he expected. Edan Alexander joins the cast as Louis, the foster child.
The McCarthys - "Thanks a Lot, Ronny" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
During Thanksgiving dinner, the McCarthy family works together to manipulate Gerard into breaking up with his offensive girlfriend. Jessica St. Clair guest stars as Gerard’s girlfriend, Katrina.
Thursday, November 27
- Ted Danson (Cheers/Becker) - Catch Ted on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Rashida Jones (Parks and Recreation/The Office) - Rashida visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie appears on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. He will also be on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Reed Between the Lines/Girlfriends) - Tracee is a guest on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Bob Newhart (The Bob Newhart Show/Newhart/Bob) - Bob is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) - Melissa appears on a repeat The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin chats on Tavis Smiley, so check your local listings.
- Jennie Garth (Mystery Girls/What I Like About You) and Tori Spelling (Mystery Girls) - Jennie and Tori are guests on a repeat of the Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Kat Dennings (2 Broke Girls) - Watch Kat on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your local listings.
- Shia LaBeouf (Even Stevens) - Shia is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kim Cattrall (Sex and the City) - Kim shares why she's having the best sex of her life now and being happily single in the city on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Laurence Fisbburne (black-ish) - Laurence is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.
- Jenny McCarthy (Two and a Half Men/Jenny) - Jenny appears on a repeat of the Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril gives great ideas for your Thanksgiving leftovers on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Norman Lear (Producer of All in the Family/Sanford and Son/The Jeffersons/Good Times) - Norman chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Marlo Thomas (That Girl) - Marlo is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- John Ratzenberger (Cheers) - John will be on Fox & Friends on Fox News Channel.