Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Martin Lawrence will continue to serve as executive producer as well as appear in the series! We will have more information, such as a premiere date, in the coming weeks...so stay with us! Lots of original sitcoms are airing these days on basic cable (MTV, TV Land, ABC Family, CMT, etc). We will have even more original sitcom news tomorrow! So come on back!
First it was Barbara Billingsley, now it's Tom Bosley. Tom Bosley was a warm and comforting presence on American TV sets for decades. Bosley, best known as the often flustered but always fatherly Howard Cunningham on Happy Days, died Tuesday (Oct. 19, 2010) in Palm Springs, CA. Bosley died suffering heart failure at a hospital and also had lung cancer.
Bosley earned a place as one of the most memorable dads in TV history as the hardware store owner, father to Richie (Ron Howard) and Joanie Cunningham (Erin Moran) and landlord to Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli (Henry Winkler) on the long-running sitcom. He played well with his TV wife Marion Ross as well. The sitcom was set in the '50s/60s but aired on ABC from 1974-1984. The series became the #1 show on television by its third season.
Angela Lansbury played Bosley's unfaithful wife in the 1964 Peter Sellers film The World of Henry Orient. Then decades later, from 1984 to 1988, Bosley played a recurring role in Lansbury's long-running TV series, Murder, She Wrote, as folksy Sheriff Amos Tupper. Bosley also played the crime-solving priest in television's The Father Dowling Mysteries, which ran from 1989 to 1991 on ABC.
But it was his fame from Happy Days that lead him to serve as a pitchman for GLAD trash bags along with other products on commercials. Among his many appearances on other TV series include Diagnosis: Unknown, The Law and Mr. Jones, Car 54 Where Are You, Route 66, Ben Casey, The Defenders, The F.B.I., Get Smart, The Virginian, The Mod Squad, Bonanza, Marcus Welby MD, The Bill Cosby Show, Night Gallery, Bewitched, Mission: Impossible, The New Dick Van Dyke Show, The New Temperatures Rising Show, Medical Center, Maude, The Paul Lynde Show, Love American Style, McMillan & Wife, The Love Boat, Streets of San Francisco, Joanie Loves Chachi, Finders of Lost Love, Hotel, Out of this World, Burke's Law, The Drew Carey Show, Boy Meets World, Early Edition, Walker Texas Ranger, ER, Family Law, Touched by an Angel, It's All Relative, Still Standing, One Tree Hill, Family Guy, That '70s Show, and more. He was also a regular on the short lived 1969-70 CBS comedy The Debbie Reynolds Show and the 1972 CBS sitcom The Sandy Duncan Show. He then voiced the character of Harry Boyle on the animated comedy Wait Till Your Father Gets Home from 1972-74 and after that of course came Happy Days. There were a few Happy Days reunion retrospectives as well. Happy Days Reunion Special in 1992 and Happy Days: 30th Anniversary Reunion in 2005, which both aired on ABC.
Tom will be DEEPLY missed. As far as on-air tributes on television, so far there are no marathons planned. But you can watch Happy Days Mon-Thurs on The Hub at 10pm & 10:30pm ET. If they, or any other network, do a marathon, we will let you know. Also, in memory of Tom Bosley, Bio TV will air the Happy Days 30th Anniversary Reunion Special from 2005 on Friday, Oct. 22 at 8AM & 2PM ET/PT. He just celebrated his 83rd birthday on October 1, so Tom was 83.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (May)
05/03 - Mad About You - The Complete Series
05/03 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season One
05/10 - Newhart - The Complete Fifth Season
05/17 - Angie Tribeca - The Complete First Season
05/17 - The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season
05/24 - The Wonder Years - Season Five
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, May 26
Modern Family - "Clean Out Your Junk Drawer" (ABC, 10:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Gloria won a bid at the school auction for a family seminar with famed doctor and author Debra Radcliffe, whose self-help book ‘Clean Out Your Junk Drawer’ encourages people get out all their emotional junk to become healthier people and in turn better partners and spouses. Jay is resistant to the whole experience and can’t get away fast enough; Mitch and Cam decide to keep it very surface level so they can come off as super stable; and Phil and Claire also make it competitive and strive to be the best and strongest couple of the group. Things quickly escalate, though, as junk starts flying. Elsewhere, Haley and Alex meet up and counsel each other on their boy problems.
black-ish - "Sink or Swim" (ABC, 10:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After Dre notices that his neighbor Janine has never invited his family to any of her pool parties, he assumes she is racially stereotyping them as a family that doesn’t swim. The kids are shocked to find out that, in fact, Dre doesn’t know how to swim. At work, Dre shares the story with his colleagues, and Daphne Lido is not convinced it’s a race thing, so Dre confronts Janine directly. Meanwhile, Jack and Diane are a part of the Girls’ and Boys’ Rovers Organization, and they envy each other’s activities.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Empathy Optimization" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After having to deal with a sick Sheldon, Leonard, Penny and the gang try to treat themselves to a Sheldon-free weekend.
Life in Pieces - "Sleepy Email Brunch Tree" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Matt invites Colleen to brunch with the family, he coaches her through the difficult task of connecting with them. Also, John, Matt and Greg try to prove their masculinity by cutting down a tree in Greg's backyard, Tim has an adverse reaction to espresso, and a sleep-deprived Greg has a run-in with the cops.
Mom - "Terrorists and Gingerbread" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Christy and Bonnie have different ideas about forgiveness when Bonnie's mother, Shirley, who abandoned her as a small child, suddenly wants to be a part of their lives. Academy Award winner Ellen Burstyn guest stars as Bonnie’s mother, Shirley. June Squibb guest stars as Dottie.
The Odd Couple - "All About Eavesdropping" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After Oscar and Felix become obsessed with eavesdropping on their bickering neighbors, they try to subtly intervene and help them save their marriage. Also, Emily and Dani’s friendship is tested when they train together to race to the top of the Empire State Building.
Thursday, May 26
- Lizzy Caplan (The Class/Party Down) - Catch Lizzy on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Mike Epps (Uncle Buck/Survivor's Remorse) - Mike is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Sarah Silverman (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Sarah visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. She also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- David Alan Grier (The Carmichael Show/Life with Bonnie/DAG) - David stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Rebel Wilson (Super Fun Night) - Rebel is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- David Schwimmer (Friends) - David drops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me!) - David appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS. He also talks about Netflix's The Do-Over on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Natasha Leggero (Dice/Another Period/Free Agents) - Natasha visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Andy is a guest on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Megan Fox (Hope & Faith) - Megan previews the film Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Dave Coulier (Fuller House/Full House) - Dave appears on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Urie (Partners) - Michael is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Brandy (Zoe Ever After/The Game/Moesha) - Brandy opens up about her private health battle and how she fought her way back on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Jennifer and the cast of X-Men: Apocalypse will be interviewed on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family/The Class) - Jesse is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Jerrod Carmichael (The Carmichael Show) - Jerrod is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Janet Hubert (The Real) - Janet appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.