Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Martin Lawrence will continue to serve as executive producer as well as appear in the series! We will have more information, such as a premiere date, in the coming weeks...so stay with us! Lots of original sitcoms are airing these days on basic cable (MTV, TV Land, ABC Family, CMT, etc). We will have even more original sitcom news tomorrow! So come on back!
First it was Barbara Billingsley, now it's Tom Bosley. Tom Bosley was a warm and comforting presence on American TV sets for decades. Bosley, best known as the often flustered but always fatherly Howard Cunningham on Happy Days, died Tuesday (Oct. 19, 2010) in Palm Springs, CA. Bosley died suffering heart failure at a hospital and also had lung cancer.
Bosley earned a place as one of the most memorable dads in TV history as the hardware store owner, father to Richie (Ron Howard) and Joanie Cunningham (Erin Moran) and landlord to Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli (Henry Winkler) on the long-running sitcom. He played well with his TV wife Marion Ross as well. The sitcom was set in the '50s/60s but aired on ABC from 1974-1984. The series became the #1 show on television by its third season.
Angela Lansbury played Bosley's unfaithful wife in the 1964 Peter Sellers film The World of Henry Orient. Then decades later, from 1984 to 1988, Bosley played a recurring role in Lansbury's long-running TV series, Murder, She Wrote, as folksy Sheriff Amos Tupper. Bosley also played the crime-solving priest in television's The Father Dowling Mysteries, which ran from 1989 to 1991 on ABC.
But it was his fame from Happy Days that lead him to serve as a pitchman for GLAD trash bags along with other products on commercials. Among his many appearances on other TV series include Diagnosis: Unknown, The Law and Mr. Jones, Car 54 Where Are You, Route 66, Ben Casey, The Defenders, The F.B.I., Get Smart, The Virginian, The Mod Squad, Bonanza, Marcus Welby MD, The Bill Cosby Show, Night Gallery, Bewitched, Mission: Impossible, The New Dick Van Dyke Show, The New Temperatures Rising Show, Medical Center, Maude, The Paul Lynde Show, Love American Style, McMillan & Wife, The Love Boat, Streets of San Francisco, Joanie Loves Chachi, Finders of Lost Love, Hotel, Out of this World, Burke's Law, The Drew Carey Show, Boy Meets World, Early Edition, Walker Texas Ranger, ER, Family Law, Touched by an Angel, It's All Relative, Still Standing, One Tree Hill, Family Guy, That '70s Show, and more. He was also a regular on the short lived 1969-70 CBS comedy The Debbie Reynolds Show and the 1972 CBS sitcom The Sandy Duncan Show. He then voiced the character of Harry Boyle on the animated comedy Wait Till Your Father Gets Home from 1972-74 and after that of course came Happy Days. There were a few Happy Days reunion retrospectives as well. Happy Days Reunion Special in 1992 and Happy Days: 30th Anniversary Reunion in 2005, which both aired on ABC.
Tom will be DEEPLY missed. As far as on-air tributes on television, so far there are no marathons planned. But you can watch Happy Days Mon-Thurs on The Hub at 10pm & 10:30pm ET. If they, or any other network, do a marathon, we will let you know. Also, in memory of Tom Bosley, Bio TV will air the Happy Days 30th Anniversary Reunion Special from 2005 on Friday, Oct. 22 at 8AM & 2PM ET/PT. He just celebrated his 83rd birthday on October 1, so Tom was 83.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, September 28
The Goldbergs - "I Heart Video Dating" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Erica and Lainey try to find Bill a woman of interest by using new technology for dating. They recruit Adam to create a demo reel, but Beverly insists she will find someone the old fashioned way. Meanwhile, after a “failed” aptitude test, Barry decides he wants to be a gym teacher and becomes Coach Mellor’s apprentice.
Speechless - "N-E--NEW A-I--AIDE" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Maya struggles as Kenneth takes over as JJ’s full-time aide. Loving his new freedom, JJ avoids attending a physical therapy appointment, and Maya automatically blames Kenneth, using any excuse to confirm her misgivings and moves to fire him. Meanwhile, Jimmy struggles to teach Dylan the family way to not be so neighborly.
Modern Family - "A Stereotypical Day" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Jay does not want to give the new family moving in across the street the wrong impression and goes out of his way to make sure they know he is the best kind of neighbor, while Manny decides that the best way to an attractive and radical-thinking teenage girl’s heart is through his actions. Meanwhile, at the Pritchett house, the entire family is using Alex’s recent bout of mono to their advantage. Finally, Cam and Mitchell have always felt they were the most open, non-judgmental and supportive parents. However, when they overhear Lily insulting her new friend, they have to take a quick look in the mirror before they teach her a lesson about acceptance.
black-ish - "God" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Dre discovers that Zoey is questioning her belief in God, he undergoes a crisis of faith and leans on family members and coworkers for their input. Meanwhile, Bow’s brother Johan comes to stay with The Johnsons after living abroad and becomes an instant thorn in Dre’s side.
Younger - "A Kiss is Just a Kiss" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Liza sends Caitlin off to college and struggles to weigh her feelings for both Josh and Charles.
Impastor - "The Devil Went Down to Ladner" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Buddy’s attempt to outfox the detectives backfires. Dora, Alexa, and Russell suspect something ominous is going on with their new pastor. Schmidt learns the truth about Ashlee.
You're the Worst - "Twenty-Two" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Edgar spends the day trying to find some relief for his PTSD.
Wednesday, September 28
- Sarah Jessica Parker (Divorce/Sex and the City/Square Pegs) - Watch Sarah on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Daveed Diggs (black-ish) - Daveed stops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- January Jones (The Last Man on Earth) - January appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. She will also be on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings and on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Wilmer Valderrama (That '70s Show) - Wilmer visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Marino (Marry Me/Party Down/Men Behaving Badly) - Ken is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Ted Danson (The Good Place/Becker/Cheers) - Ted stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family/Encore! Encore!/Charlie Lawrence) and John Goodman (Roseanne) - Nathan and John talk about The Front Page on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Hilary Duff (Younger/Lizzie McGuire) and Debbie Mazar (Younger/Entourage/Working) - Hilary and Debbie talk about Younger on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. Hilary will also be on People Now at 8:30am.
- The Cast of Impastor - Michael Rosenbaum, Sara Rue, Mircea Monroe, David Rasche and Mike Kosinski discuss Impastor on the AOL Build Show at 12pm and on Facebook Live. Sara will also be on PIX Morning News on WPIX in New York.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Norm Macdonald (Norm) - Norm appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.