Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Martin Lawrence will continue to serve as executive producer as well as appear in the series! We will have more information, such as a premiere date, in the coming weeks...so stay with us! Lots of original sitcoms are airing these days on basic cable (MTV, TV Land, ABC Family, CMT, etc). We will have even more original sitcom news tomorrow! So come on back!
First it was Barbara Billingsley, now it's Tom Bosley. Tom Bosley was a warm and comforting presence on American TV sets for decades. Bosley, best known as the often flustered but always fatherly Howard Cunningham on Happy Days, died Tuesday (Oct. 19, 2010) in Palm Springs, CA. Bosley died suffering heart failure at a hospital and also had lung cancer.
Bosley earned a place as one of the most memorable dads in TV history as the hardware store owner, father to Richie (Ron Howard) and Joanie Cunningham (Erin Moran) and landlord to Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli (Henry Winkler) on the long-running sitcom. He played well with his TV wife Marion Ross as well. The sitcom was set in the '50s/60s but aired on ABC from 1974-1984. The series became the #1 show on television by its third season.
Angela Lansbury played Bosley's unfaithful wife in the 1964 Peter Sellers film The World of Henry Orient. Then decades later, from 1984 to 1988, Bosley played a recurring role in Lansbury's long-running TV series, Murder, She Wrote, as folksy Sheriff Amos Tupper. Bosley also played the crime-solving priest in television's The Father Dowling Mysteries, which ran from 1989 to 1991 on ABC.
But it was his fame from Happy Days that lead him to serve as a pitchman for GLAD trash bags along with other products on commercials. Among his many appearances on other TV series include Diagnosis: Unknown, The Law and Mr. Jones, Car 54 Where Are You, Route 66, Ben Casey, The Defenders, The F.B.I., Get Smart, The Virginian, The Mod Squad, Bonanza, Marcus Welby MD, The Bill Cosby Show, Night Gallery, Bewitched, Mission: Impossible, The New Dick Van Dyke Show, The New Temperatures Rising Show, Medical Center, Maude, The Paul Lynde Show, Love American Style, McMillan & Wife, The Love Boat, Streets of San Francisco, Joanie Loves Chachi, Finders of Lost Love, Hotel, Out of this World, Burke's Law, The Drew Carey Show, Boy Meets World, Early Edition, Walker Texas Ranger, ER, Family Law, Touched by an Angel, It's All Relative, Still Standing, One Tree Hill, Family Guy, That '70s Show, and more. He was also a regular on the short lived 1969-70 CBS comedy The Debbie Reynolds Show and the 1972 CBS sitcom The Sandy Duncan Show. He then voiced the character of Harry Boyle on the animated comedy Wait Till Your Father Gets Home from 1972-74 and after that of course came Happy Days. There were a few Happy Days reunion retrospectives as well. Happy Days Reunion Special in 1992 and Happy Days: 30th Anniversary Reunion in 2005, which both aired on ABC.
Tom will be DEEPLY missed. As far as on-air tributes on television, so far there are no marathons planned. But you can watch Happy Days Mon-Thurs on The Hub at 10pm & 10:30pm ET. If they, or any other network, do a marathon, we will let you know. Also, in memory of Tom Bosley, Bio TV will air the Happy Days 30th Anniversary Reunion Special from 2005 on Friday, Oct. 22 at 8AM & 2PM ET/PT. He just celebrated his 83rd birthday on October 1, so Tom was 83.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, June 27
Mom - "Snickerdoodle and a Nip Slip" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Christy catches the eye of Candace’s wealthy, charming father, Fred, Candace and Baxter are outraged, while Bonnie pushes Christy to give him a chance. Harry Hamlin guest stars as Candace’s wealthy father, Fred. Sara Rue returns as Candace.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Basketball Jones" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Oleg’s pro-basketball playing cousin comes to town to play a game against Max’s favorite team and gifts her with two free tickets, but chaos ensues when the girls interfere with the game and risk ruining their cupcake business’ reputation in the process.
American Dad - "Standard Deviation" (TBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
To avoid a suicide mission, Stan must beat Bullock in a DJ battle; Jeff starts drinking psychedelic teas and builds an imaginary musical instrument with Roger's help.
Angie Tribeca - "A Coldie but a Goodie" (TBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tribeca believes that a 102-year-old's death isn't as natural as everyone thinks, but her concerns aren't heard because of her probation.
Odd Mom Out - "Fasting and Furious" (Bravo, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Jill's parents come to town to celebrate Yom Kippur and to take care of a matter of life and death; Vanessa flirts with the idea of a breakup; Brooke continues to punish Lex for betraying her.
Monday, June 27
- Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family) - Watch Eric on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Nia Long (Uncle Buck/The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Nia is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Marc Maron (Maron) - Marc appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jenny Slate (Married/Bob's Burgers) - Jenny stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Natasha Leggero (Another Period/Free Agents) - Natasha appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Zach Woods (Silicon Valley/Playing House/The Office) - Zach appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Greg Proops (True Jackson, VP) - Greg is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jill Kargman (Odd Mom Out) - Jill visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) - Aubrey appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- D.L. Hughley (The Hughleys) - D.L. guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kellita Smith (The First Family/The Bernie Mac Show) - Kellita stops by The Real, so check your local listings.
- Jamie Lynn Spears (Zoey 101) - Jamie reveals that her husband and daughter are hounding her for more children on People Now at 8:30am.
- Craig Bierko (Unhitched/Madman of the People/Sydney) - Craig is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Michaela Watkins (Casual/Trophy Wife) - Michaela talks about Hulu's Casual on the AOL Build ShoW at 11am.
- Louis C.K. (Louie) and Kevin Hart (The Big House/Undeclared) - Louis and Kevin talk about The Secret Life of Pets on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Tony Shalhoub (We Are Men/Wings)- Tony will be on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Arsenio Hall (Arsenio) - Arsenio guest co-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.