Tuesday, January 05, 2010
Family Matters and Cosby Show Time Switch on Nick at Nite; Casting News on George Segal TV Land Pilot; TV One Details on Original Sitcom
So why the change? I think there could be times that sister network TV Land airs The Cosby Show in the 3am hour, so Nick at Nite moved it to 4am so they don't conflict each other and air at the same time.
View the update schedule for Nick at Nite January 2010.
We have mentioned a few times about TV Land developing a few sitcom pilots. The George Segal sitcom titled Retired at 35 now has a cast. Johnathan McClain, Casey Wilson, Jessica Walter and Christine Ebersole have landed starring roles opposite George Segal. The pilot follows David (McClain), a successful young businessman who decides to leave the New York rat race behind and move into his father Alan's (Segal) Florida retirement home. Wilson will play David's sister, while Walter will play David's mom, and Ebersole will play a potential love interest for Alan. Also cast in the pilot are Josh McDermott as David's best friend, Ryan Michelle Bathe as David's love interest, George Wyner as Alan's best friend, as well as Matt Champagne, Jere Burns and Faye DeWitt.
We normally don't give pilot casting news, since not all pilots make it on air, but TV Land only has a few in development so the chances are pretty good. The other TV Land sitcom pilot Hot in Cleveland is still casting.
Stay with us if Retired at 35 ever gets a series order and also stay with us if we have casting news for Hot in Cleveland.
A few weeks ago we gave you TV One's January 2010 highlights and were the first ones to mention that an original sitcom (Love That Girl) was ordered for four episodes on TV One airing Jan. 19-21. Now we have more details. THR is reporting that without so much as a pilot order, writer-director Bentley Kyle Evans (Martin, The Jamie Foxx Show) shot four episodes of Love That Girl! The comedy stars Tatyana Ali (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) and is also being produced by Martin Lawrence. The sitcom was made on a shoestring budget, with Evans calling in favors from friends and colleagues to shoot four episodes over a five-day period in a converted warehouse. Although self-financing a pilot has become more common as producers struggle to break though an increasingly consolidated studio landscape, producing four entire episodes is rare. Producers managed to deliver the package on a total budget of roughly $1.2 million.
As we previously mentioned, TV One will show the four episodes over a three-night period starting Jan. 19 at 9pm. This will mark the first original scripted program to air on TV One, which is available in roughly 50 million homes and typically features specials and syndicated programming, including repeats of Martin, one of the network's top-rated shows. If the episodes hit a certain rating, the network will pick up 13-26 additional half-hours. Who knows it could be TV One's version of House of Payne and Meet the Browns?
In addition to Lawrence & Evans, Jeff Franklin (Full House) is an executive producer, as are Raphael Saadiq and Trenten Gumbs. The sitcom also stars Phil Morris, as we mentioned last month.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, September 28
The Goldbergs - "I Heart Video Dating" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Erica and Lainey try to find Bill a woman of interest by using new technology for dating. They recruit Adam to create a demo reel, but Beverly insists she will find someone the old fashioned way. Meanwhile, after a “failed” aptitude test, Barry decides he wants to be a gym teacher and becomes Coach Mellor’s apprentice.
Speechless - "N-E--NEW A-I--AIDE" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Maya struggles as Kenneth takes over as JJ’s full-time aide. Loving his new freedom, JJ avoids attending a physical therapy appointment, and Maya automatically blames Kenneth, using any excuse to confirm her misgivings and moves to fire him. Meanwhile, Jimmy struggles to teach Dylan the family way to not be so neighborly.
Modern Family - "A Stereotypical Day" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Jay does not want to give the new family moving in across the street the wrong impression and goes out of his way to make sure they know he is the best kind of neighbor, while Manny decides that the best way to an attractive and radical-thinking teenage girl’s heart is through his actions. Meanwhile, at the Pritchett house, the entire family is using Alex’s recent bout of mono to their advantage. Finally, Cam and Mitchell have always felt they were the most open, non-judgmental and supportive parents. However, when they overhear Lily insulting her new friend, they have to take a quick look in the mirror before they teach her a lesson about acceptance.
black-ish - "God" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Dre discovers that Zoey is questioning her belief in God, he undergoes a crisis of faith and leans on family members and coworkers for their input. Meanwhile, Bow’s brother Johan comes to stay with The Johnsons after living abroad and becomes an instant thorn in Dre’s side.
Younger - "A Kiss is Just a Kiss" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Liza sends Caitlin off to college and struggles to weigh her feelings for both Josh and Charles.
Impastor - "The Devil Went Down to Ladner" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Buddy’s attempt to outfox the detectives backfires. Dora, Alexa, and Russell suspect something ominous is going on with their new pastor. Schmidt learns the truth about Ashlee.
You're the Worst - "Twenty-Two" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Edgar spends the day trying to find some relief for his PTSD.
Wednesday, September 28
- Sarah Jessica Parker (Divorce/Sex and the City/Square Pegs) - Watch Sarah on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Daveed Diggs (black-ish) - Daveed stops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- January Jones (The Last Man on Earth) - January appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. She will also be on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings and on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Wilmer Valderrama (That '70s Show) - Wilmer visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Marino (Marry Me/Party Down/Men Behaving Badly) - Ken is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Ted Danson (The Good Place/Becker/Cheers) - Ted stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family/Encore! Encore!/Charlie Lawrence) and John Goodman (Roseanne) - Nathan and John talk about The Front Page on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Hilary Duff (Younger/Lizzie McGuire) and Debbie Mazar (Younger/Entourage/Working) - Hilary and Debbie talk about Younger on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. Hilary will also be on People Now at 8:30am.
- The Cast of Impastor - Michael Rosenbaum, Sara Rue, Mircea Monroe, David Rasche and Mike Kosinski discuss Impastor on the AOL Build Show at 12pm and on Facebook Live. Sara will also be on PIX Morning News on WPIX in New York.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Norm Macdonald (Norm) - Norm appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.