Tuesday, January 05, 2010
Family Matters and Cosby Show Time Switch on Nick at Nite; Casting News on George Segal TV Land Pilot; TV One Details on Original Sitcom
So why the change? I think there could be times that sister network TV Land airs The Cosby Show in the 3am hour, so Nick at Nite moved it to 4am so they don't conflict each other and air at the same time.
View the update schedule for Nick at Nite January 2010.
We have mentioned a few times about TV Land developing a few sitcom pilots. The George Segal sitcom titled Retired at 35 now has a cast. Johnathan McClain, Casey Wilson, Jessica Walter and Christine Ebersole have landed starring roles opposite George Segal. The pilot follows David (McClain), a successful young businessman who decides to leave the New York rat race behind and move into his father Alan's (Segal) Florida retirement home. Wilson will play David's sister, while Walter will play David's mom, and Ebersole will play a potential love interest for Alan. Also cast in the pilot are Josh McDermott as David's best friend, Ryan Michelle Bathe as David's love interest, George Wyner as Alan's best friend, as well as Matt Champagne, Jere Burns and Faye DeWitt.
We normally don't give pilot casting news, since not all pilots make it on air, but TV Land only has a few in development so the chances are pretty good. The other TV Land sitcom pilot Hot in Cleveland is still casting.
Stay with us if Retired at 35 ever gets a series order and also stay with us if we have casting news for Hot in Cleveland.
A few weeks ago we gave you TV One's January 2010 highlights and were the first ones to mention that an original sitcom (Love That Girl) was ordered for four episodes on TV One airing Jan. 19-21. Now we have more details. THR is reporting that without so much as a pilot order, writer-director Bentley Kyle Evans (Martin, The Jamie Foxx Show) shot four episodes of Love That Girl! The comedy stars Tatyana Ali (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) and is also being produced by Martin Lawrence. The sitcom was made on a shoestring budget, with Evans calling in favors from friends and colleagues to shoot four episodes over a five-day period in a converted warehouse. Although self-financing a pilot has become more common as producers struggle to break though an increasingly consolidated studio landscape, producing four entire episodes is rare. Producers managed to deliver the package on a total budget of roughly $1.2 million.
As we previously mentioned, TV One will show the four episodes over a three-night period starting Jan. 19 at 9pm. This will mark the first original scripted program to air on TV One, which is available in roughly 50 million homes and typically features specials and syndicated programming, including repeats of Martin, one of the network's top-rated shows. If the episodes hit a certain rating, the network will pick up 13-26 additional half-hours. Who knows it could be TV One's version of House of Payne and Meet the Browns?
In addition to Lawrence & Evans, Jeff Franklin (Full House) is an executive producer, as are Raphael Saadiq and Trenten Gumbs. The sitcom also stars Phil Morris, as we mentioned last month.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)
10/06 - Bewitched - The Complete Collection
10/06 - Grace Under Fire - The Complete Collection
10/06 - Happyish - Season One
10/06 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/06 - Party Down - The Complete Series
10/06 - South Park - The Complete Eighteenth Season (Blu-ray)
10/20 - C.P.O. Sharkey - Mr. Warmth: The Ultimate Don Rickles TV Collection
10/20 - The Facts of Life - Season Seven
10/20- King of the Hill - The Complete 13th Season (Blu-ray)
10/20 - My Favorite Martian - The Complete Series
10/20 - Nurse Jackie - Season Seven ((Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, October 13
The Muppets - "Pig Out" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The gang has an epic night out when they run into Ed Helms at Rowlf’s Tavern and they all perform their favorite karaoke jams, but Kermit is not pleased when no one shows up to work the next day. Meanwhile, Fozzie has an unfortunate accident during the show.
Fresh Off the Boat - "The Fall Ball" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
As Eddie’s first school dance approaches, Louis is determined to make the night as perfect as a John Hughes film. Meanwhile, Jessica spends the day with Grandma Huang in hopes of getting on her good side so she will invest in her new business venture.
Grandfathered - "Guys' Night" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Jimmy realizes that he doesn’t know much about Gerald, he decides to take him out for a night on the town. Meanwhile Annelise hires a new mixologist to spice things up at the restaurant.
The Grinder - "The Curious Disappearance of Mr. Donovan" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Convinced that the only explanation for Claire’s non-interest in him is that she’s a mole, Dean tells Stewart that Claire is sharing secrets with a rival firm. Although Stewart dismisses the accusation, Dean is set on proving his brother wrong. Meanwhile, Deb and Claire strike up a friendship, the gossipy nature of which propels Stewart to question whether Claire can be trusted after all.
Family Time - "Forbidden Fruits" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tony gets a new client, who happens to be a very attractive woman; Lisa and Tony are struggling to complete a ten-day all juice diet.
Tuesday, October 13
- Michael Strahan (Brothers) - Catch Michael on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He also talks about his new book on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Sarah Silverman (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Sarah visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Sophia Bush (Partners) - Sophia appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Josh Meyers (That '70s Show) - Josh stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Chris is a guest on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Scott Weinger (Fuller House/Full House) - Scott and the cast of Aladdin reunite on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. They will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1pm and HuffPost Live at 2pm..
- Miles Brown (black-ish) - Miles appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Keshia Knight Pulliam (The Cosby Show/Tyler Perry's House of Payne) - Keshia talks about Will to Love on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She will also be on HuffPost Live at 1pm.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe and Charlie Puth announce nominees in six categories for the 2015 American Music Awards on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Nick Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Nick will be on FABLife, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.