Tuesday, January 05, 2010
Family Matters and Cosby Show Time Switch on Nick at Nite; Casting News on George Segal TV Land Pilot; TV One Details on Original Sitcom
So why the change? I think there could be times that sister network TV Land airs The Cosby Show in the 3am hour, so Nick at Nite moved it to 4am so they don't conflict each other and air at the same time.
View the update schedule for Nick at Nite January 2010.
We have mentioned a few times about TV Land developing a few sitcom pilots. The George Segal sitcom titled Retired at 35 now has a cast. Johnathan McClain, Casey Wilson, Jessica Walter and Christine Ebersole have landed starring roles opposite George Segal. The pilot follows David (McClain), a successful young businessman who decides to leave the New York rat race behind and move into his father Alan's (Segal) Florida retirement home. Wilson will play David's sister, while Walter will play David's mom, and Ebersole will play a potential love interest for Alan. Also cast in the pilot are Josh McDermott as David's best friend, Ryan Michelle Bathe as David's love interest, George Wyner as Alan's best friend, as well as Matt Champagne, Jere Burns and Faye DeWitt.
We normally don't give pilot casting news, since not all pilots make it on air, but TV Land only has a few in development so the chances are pretty good. The other TV Land sitcom pilot Hot in Cleveland is still casting.
Stay with us if Retired at 35 ever gets a series order and also stay with us if we have casting news for Hot in Cleveland.
A few weeks ago we gave you TV One's January 2010 highlights and were the first ones to mention that an original sitcom (Love That Girl) was ordered for four episodes on TV One airing Jan. 19-21. Now we have more details. THR is reporting that without so much as a pilot order, writer-director Bentley Kyle Evans (Martin, The Jamie Foxx Show) shot four episodes of Love That Girl! The comedy stars Tatyana Ali (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) and is also being produced by Martin Lawrence. The sitcom was made on a shoestring budget, with Evans calling in favors from friends and colleagues to shoot four episodes over a five-day period in a converted warehouse. Although self-financing a pilot has become more common as producers struggle to break though an increasingly consolidated studio landscape, producing four entire episodes is rare. Producers managed to deliver the package on a total budget of roughly $1.2 million.
As we previously mentioned, TV One will show the four episodes over a three-night period starting Jan. 19 at 9pm. This will mark the first original scripted program to air on TV One, which is available in roughly 50 million homes and typically features specials and syndicated programming, including repeats of Martin, one of the network's top-rated shows. If the episodes hit a certain rating, the network will pick up 13-26 additional half-hours. Who knows it could be TV One's version of House of Payne and Meet the Browns?
In addition to Lawrence & Evans, Jeff Franklin (Full House) is an executive producer, as are Raphael Saadiq and Trenten Gumbs. The sitcom also stars Phil Morris, as we mentioned last month.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.