Monday, July 05, 2010
Continuing to build on its strategy of showcasing "slightly off" comedies that appeal to its young male audience, IFC (Independent Film Channel) announced it has acquired the complete series of Judd Apatow's Emmy®-winning high school comedy Freaks and Geeks (18 episodes) and college spinoff Undeclared (17 episodes) from Paramount Pictures Corporation. These two cult TV short-lived series helped launch the careers of Jay Baruchel, Jenna Fischer, James Franco, Seth Rogen and Jason Segel, among other young stars. Freaks and Geeks airs on IFC on Fridays at 11:00pm, et/pt, and encore on Mondays (so tonight!) at 11:00pm and Sundays at 10:00pm. Undeclared will debut on IFC this fall. A previously unaired episode of Undeclared will make its U.S. television debut on IFC.
Freaks and Geeks is set in the 1980s at McKinley High where there are two different groups of teenagers: the Freaks with cool and charismatic Daniel Desario (James Franco) and tomboy Lindsay Weir (Linda Cardellini, ER), and the Geeks with Lindsay's shy younger brother Sam (John Francis Daley, Bones), gentle Bill Haverchuck (Martin Starr), and self-proclaimed ladies' man Neal Schweiber (Samm Levine). The series was executive produced by Judd Apatow; series writers include Paul Feig (The Office) and series directors include Jake Kasdan. It was produced by Apatow Productions in association with DreamWorks Television and aired for one season on NBC (1999-2000) and also starred Seth Rogen and Jason Segel in supporting roles.
Undeclared paired creator and executive producer Apatow with directors such as Kasdan together again along with stars Seth Rogen and Jason Segel. The series, which was also produced by Apatow Productions in association with DreamWorks Television, aired on Fox for one season (2001-2002). The comedy series follows an eclectic group of college freshmen as they experience their first year at the University of North Eastern California (UNEC). College life is seen through the eyes of the new and improved Steven Karp (Jay Baruchel), who goes from scrawny high school nerd to potentially handsome college guy over the course of one summer. The series also features Jenna Fischer (The Office), Carla Gallo and Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy).
As we wait for the final 2 episodes of canceled series Better Off Ted, Romantically Challenged and Eastwick to be scheduled, the final two episodes of ABC's canceled happy town are now available on abc.com. The series was pulled from the Wednesday schedule after its June 16 airing due to low ratings. The two episodes are "Dallas Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" and "Blame It On Rio Bravo." These will not air on TV, so it will be your only shot of watching it. I suggest you watch it if you were watching the show, so you have an ending because there is an actual ending to the show. Click below to watch the final 2 episodes of this mystery drama!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 21
Last Man Standing - "Trick or Treat" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Halloween and the Baxter family is excited for their annual party, except for Mike who’s reluctantly tasked with choosing the theme. In hopes of turning everyone against the holiday, Mike decides that maybe if the whole family has to dress up like each other they’ll end up making fun of one another. Eve dresses up like Mandy and Mandy dresses down like Eve, Kristin and Ryan swap roles, and Mike shows up to the party as… Donald Trump!? The impersonating turns into bickering but in the end, the Baxters come together to support Vanessa as she learns that she’s being laid off.
Dr. Ken - "D.K.'s Korean Ghost Story" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Halloween, Allison is disappointed the holiday doesn’t seem to scare Dave anymore, meaning her little boy is growing up, perhaps too fast. But that might change after D.K. tells a scary Korean gwishin (ghost) story. The Park family, as well as the gang at Welltopia, bring the story to life playing the various gwishins.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Jack" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus deals with the loss of one of his former teammates.
Friday, October 21
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah talks about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1:15pm.
- Lindsay Sloane (The Odd Couple/The Stones/Mr. Rhodes) - Lindsay visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Tom and Ron will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about King Cobra on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Grey (Red Oaks/It's Like, You Know...) - Jennifer joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Thomas and Jason are guests on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Red Oaks/Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.