Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Hallmark Channel Acquires Partridge Family Starting Saturday, June 19; Hot in Cleveland Premieres Tonight on TV Land, Guest Stars For 1st Season
Unfortunately, The Partridge Family is not going to air on the weekday line-up, but something is better than nothing. We still get 6 hours a week (12 episodes) with the weekend play. The series is complete on DVD, but it hasn't been nationally on television since it aired on i TV (now known as ION Television) in Fall 2006.
Partridge Family comes from Sony Pictures Television, the same as their previous sitcom addition, Who's the Boss?, so maybe a deal with Sony was made? Just speculating. Since TV Land lost rights to The Brady Bunch, it would be nice if Hallmark picked that up and paired it with Partridge. But with all the Martha Stewart programming coming (weekdays 10am-6pm) to Hallmark Channel in September, we wonder what will happen to the current sitcoms (The Golden Girls, Who's the Boss?, I Love Lucy, M*A*S*H, and now Partridge Family)? We'll let you know as soon as we know, but I think they will remain, but will obviously have to move some timeslots. Stay with us for further updates and we're happy that Hallmark is airing sitcoms!
UPDATE 6:30PM ET: We got an email from The Hallmark Channel and Darren Melameth, VP of Scheduling says: "As long as there is viewer demand for The Partridge Family, Who's the Boss, M*A*S*H, Cheers, I Love Lucy, and The Golden Girls, we will continue to have a place on the network for these enduring sitcoms for years to come." Sounds good to me! Stay with us for more.
TV Land launches the much hyped and anticipated sitcom Hot in Cleveland tonight at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT, with an immediate encore at 10:30 p.m. and again later at 1:00 a.m. So, you have three chances tonight. Hot In Cleveland revolves around three fabulous best friends from LA – novelist Melanie Moretti (Valerie Bertinelli), eye-brow archer to the stars Joy Scroggs (Jane Leeves) and former soap star Victoria Chase (Wendie Malick) - who find their lives changed forever when their plane, headed for Paris, makes an unexpected landing. When the friends discover that they are hot in Cleveland, they decide to stay. Starting over, they rent a house that happens to come with a very feisty caretaker (Betty White).
On the premiere episode airing tonight, three best friends from Los Angeles (hopeless romantic MELANIE, cynical businesswoman JOY, and aging actress VICTORIA) are flying to Paris when their plane makes an emergency landing in Cleveland. Realizing that all the norms from Los Angeles don't apply anymore and thrilled with the new possibilities available to them, they decide to celebrate a city that values real women and stay where they're still considered hot...
And in addition to the star-studded ensemble cast of its first original sitcom, Hot in Cleveland, there will be plenty of special guest stars in the 10-episode season including Wayne Knight (Seinfeld/3rd Rock from the Sun), Shirley Knight (As Good As It Gets), Huey Lewis (Just Shoot Me!), Hal Linden (Barney Miller), Susan Lucci (All My Children), Juliet Mills (Nanny and the Professor), Carl Reiner (The Dick Van Dyke Show), John Schneider (Dukes of Hazzard) and Amy Yasbeck (Wings).
Will the premiere be the highest rated airing EVER on TV Land? The buzz is certainly there and Betty White has shown her magic in recent months in the Nielsens. Tune in and sample it at least because it looks good and it could beat the networks in the 10 p.m. half-hour tonight.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, January 19
The Big Bang Theory - "The Romance Calibration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Penny feels that Leonard is taking her for granted, she decides to go on a spa weekend with Amy. Also, Wolowitz and Koothrappali try to fix a squeaky floorboard in the baby’s room.
The Great Indoors - "Mason Blows Up" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jack tries to reassert his dominance as a reporter after Mason scores an investigative coup that turns him into an overnight celebrity. Also, Clark’s low self-esteem causes him to give Emma relationship advice about other guys instead of asking her out himself
Mom - "Good Karma and the Big Weird" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bonnie encourages Christy to pursue Marjorie’s charming nephew, Nick, despite the fact that he’s been declared off limits. Chris Pratt, husband of MOM star Anna Faris, guest stars as Nick, Marjorie’s nephew.
Life in Pieces - "Tailgate Spiral Souvenir Seating" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Colleen and Matt host the family tailgate party at the L.A. Rams game, they invite former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner to spice up their so far dismal event. Also, Tim’s in danger of missing the game when Sophia makes him take her to the restroom and they get sidetracked returning to their seats; Joan and Jen try to sneak into seats closer to the field; and Greg wins a chance to participate in a halftime contest involving a football toss.
Baskets - "Freaks" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Chip has to decide between a tarp and snacks.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.