Monday, April 27, 2009
Remembering Bea Arthur, Kim Weiskopf; Hallmark Channel, WE tv, TV Land, Me-Too All To Air Tributes for Bea
Even before television, Bea had a major career in plays on Broadway. Arthur's biggest Broadway triumph came in 1966 as Vera Charles, Angela Lansbury's acerbic friend in the musical "Mame," directed by Tony-winning director Gene Saks, who was also her husband of 28 years. They divorced in 1978. During 2001 and 2002 she toured the country in a one-woman show of songs and stories, ... And Then There's Bea.
In between Maude and The Golden Girls, Bea had a failed sitcom. In 1983, she starred in the ABC sitcom Amanda's, an Americanized version of John Cleese's hilarious Fawlty Towers. She was cast as owner of a small seaside hotel with a staff of eccentrics. It lasted a mere 10 episodes, with three episodes unaired.
She was also in films. Among the movies she graced were That Kind of Woman (1959), Lovers and Other Strangers (1970), Mel Brooks' The History of the World: Part I (1981), For Better or Worse (1995). Her TV movies include the ABC TV movie My First Love in 1988 and the NBC TV movie P.O.P. in 1984.
Among her guest appearances on television are the The Golden Girls spin-off Empty Nest, Ellen, Beggars & Choosers, Dave's World, a.k.a. Pablo, Laugh-In, and she appeared on a rare special recap episode of Soap as an "angel." In recent years, Arthur made guest appearances on shows including Curb Your Enthusiasm, Futurama and Malcolm in the Middle. The latter was very popular.
Bea will certainly be missed by millions and millions fans around the world. TV Land has created a 30-second on-air and online promo remembering her. TV Land will air both of her appearances on All in the Family on Tuesday and Wednesday at 9am, the episodes "Cousin Maude's Visit" on Tuesday and the back-door "Maude" pilot that aired as an All in the Family episode on Wednesday. Too bad TV Land isn't airing regular Maude episodes as a tribute. Me-Too in Chicago will air Maude, though! All this week in the 9-10pm CT hour, Me-Too Chicago airs "Remembering Maude: A Tribute to Bea Arthur." View the episode schedule. Lucky fans in Chi-town.
Hallmark and WE tv air The Golden Girls regularly multiple times a day. Hallmark will pay tribute to Bea with a Memorial Day marathon and WE tv pays tribute to Bea tonight and Thursday, see below for more details on both. Watch a video celebration of her life and career. Bea lived a long life and was 86.
Hallmark Channel has announced it will pay tribute to legendary star Bea Arthur with an all-day Golden Girls "Memorial Day Marathon" on Monday, May 25 from 6:30am-2:30am, featuring episodes focusing on Arthur's character Dorothy Zbornak, a gruff, wise-cracking divorcée who shared her Miami home with her mother and two loopy friends. Golden Girls plays daily on Hallmark Channel: Monday-Friday, 8-10 a.m., 7-9 p.m., 12-2 a.m., Saturdays 6-9 a.m., and Sundays 8:30-10 a.m. View their press release. UPDATE: We get marathons SOONER now on Hallmark! At the Studio City, CA home of Hallmark Channel, fans of the classic comedy Golden Girls flooded the network's Viewer Services department today with parenthetical appreciation for the channel's announcement of a Memorial Day Tribute to Bea Arthur. The qualifier to the announcement included these sentiments: more, sooner, please. And now Hallmark has listened! Hallmark Channel responded by hand-selecting the "Best of the Dorothy Zbornak Episodes" which begin running Tuesday, April 28 (7-9pm) and continue, Wednesday, April 29 (7-9pm), and Thursday, April 30 (7-9pm) in the normal Golden Girls timeslots, but also on Sunday, May 3 (8:30am-3am) a full day event is planned! This is all in addition to the previously announced Memorial Day marathon on, Monday, May 25 (6:30am-2:30am.). We don't have episode info yet for the Memorial Day stunt, but Hallmark has released the 5 day stunt episodes for this week! Thank you for being a friend, Hallmark!
WE tv airs the show weeknights from 5-7pm ET, with primetime marathons from 6pm-12am on Monday nights, so that includes tonight. They also air the show sometimes on Thursday late nights. WE tv announced today two special nights of programming to honor Bea Arthur. "WE Remember Bea" will feature a marathon of favorite The Golden Girls episodes both Monday, April 27 from 5pm-12am ET and Thursday, April 30 from 9:30pm-1am ET. The acclaimed actress, known for her quick wit and willingness to embrace controversial issues was the centerpiece of the comedic series, which won more than 38 awards during its run. "WE Remember Bea" will be comprised of episodes which center on Bea Arthur's colorful character Dorothy Zbornak and key related storylines from the series. See the episode info for tonight's marathon.
WE tv already had a scheduled Golden Girls Memorial Day marathon from 10am-6am, so we have two networks airing a marathon on The Golden Girls on May 25.
We also have lost Kim Weiskopf, a TV comedy writer whose credits included Three's Company and Married...with Children, died of pancreatic cancer Wednesday (April 22) at his home in Encino. He launched his career in the early 1970s, with longtime writing partner Michael S. Baser, he wrote for series such as One Day at a Time, The Jeffersons, Melba, Carter Country, We Got It Made, and Good Times, the latter show leading to their first staff-writing position.
The writing duo went on to write and produce three seasons of ABC's Three's Company before being hired to create the TV series 9 to 5 for ABC, which was based on the movie. They then developed an updated, syndicated version of the '70s series What's Happening!! called What's Happening Now!!, though he had never worked with the original series.
Weiskopf's also wrote and produced for Rachel Gunn, R.N., Full House and Married...with Children, without Baser. Kim appeared in interviews for the E! True Hollywood Story episodes of both Three's Company and Married...with Children. He had an uncredited appearance on Married...with Children on an episode playing Lucky the Dog in a 1996 episode.
He is going to be missed, especially by fans of Three's Company and Married...with Children. Kim was 62.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)
10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonders Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Read Our Review
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, November 23
The Simpsons - "Brick Like Me" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Homer wakes up in a world where his family and everyone in Springfield are made of Legos. Can he “put together” how he got there, and figure out how to get home before he’s stuck in a world of bricks forever?
Mulaney - "Patriot Acts" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
When Jane starts dating a marine, John and Motif, feeling guilty for their lack of service, try to sign up for a USO Comedy Tour. Meanwhile, Lou recounts how war – and improv – are hell.
The Simpsons - "Covercraft" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Homer has a mid-life crisis, takes up bass guitar and forms a cover band with some of the other dads in town. But the band’s modest early success is soon overwhelmed by the breakout potential of their most unlikely star, Apu.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "USPIS" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
While attempting to catch a drug dealer, Jake and Charles reluctantly join forces with the nerdy lead investigator at the U.S. Postal Service, Jack Danger (guest star Ed Helms). Meanwhile, the rest of the team helps Amy quit smoking.
Family Guy - "Grimm Job" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
From Grimm to Griffin, three classic fairy tales get a new Quahog spin, including “Jack and the Beanstalk,” “Little Red Riding Hood,” and “Cinderella.”
Bob's Burgers - "Dawn of the Peck" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
While Bob is boycotting the holiday, Linda and the kids spend Thanksgiving at the First Annual Fischoeder Turk-tacular Turkey Town Festival. However, a wild bird attack leads to total mayhem.
Austin & Ally - "Relationships and Red Carpets" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Austin's record label wants him to hide his relationship with Ally; Dez considers moving to Los Angeles to attend film school and be closer to his girlfriend.
Liv and Maddie - "Hoops-a-Rooney" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Liv is offered the lead in a basketball movie; Willow and Maddie help teach her how to play basketball.
Sunday, November 23
- Meredith Baxter (Family Ties/Bridget Loves Bernie) - Meredith will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 9pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Tim Allen (Last Man Standing/Home Impprovment) - Watch Tim on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He will also be on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Jennifer appears on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ken Jeong (Community) - Ken is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- William Shatner ($#*! My Dad Says) - William visits The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- John Goodman (Roseanne/Normal, Ohio) - John drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He discusses The Gambler on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Ken Marino (Marry Me/Party Down) - Ken appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Will Arnett (The Millers/Up All Night/Arrested Development) - Will is a guest on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Tune in to see Jennnifer on a repeat of The Colbert Report at 11:30pm on Comedy Central.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Tom Lennon (Reno 911!/Sean Saves the World) - Tom is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Brooke Shields (Suddenly Susan) - Brooke discusses her new book (There Was a Little Girl) on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Yara Shahidi (black-ish) - Yara stops by Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Full House) and Marilu Henner (Taxi/Evening Shade) - Candace and Marilu will be on the Home & Family Holiday Special on Hallmark Channel at 8pm ET/PT. It repeats at 10am ET/PT on Tuesday. Candace will also be on Arise TV on their website at 3pm and on Centric at 3am on Tuesday. She is a guest on Fox and Friends on Fox News Channel at 8:30am. She will be on HuffPost Live at 1:00pm. Candace's Christmas Under Wraps premieres on November 29 at 8/7C on Hallmark Channel.
- Tori Spelling (Mystery Girls) - Tori and Dean McDermott talk about their fight to save their marriage on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Urie (Partners) - Michael will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly will be part of the Plugged In panel on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Tim Meadows and Dan Bucatinsky (Marry Me) - Tim and Dan are guests on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) - Aubrey talks about Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.