We are preempting our normal TV ratings and analysis this week, due to the holidays...but we will cover how the sitcoms did.
Week 14 How the Sitcoms Did
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week 13 -- Dec. 14-20)
- Brothers (Fox) - preempted.
- The Simpsons (Fox) - 8.15 million for a repeat is over a million better than previous week when it was all-new. Why? Because it had a direct NFL lead-in.
- The Cleveland Show (Fox) - 5.9 million for a repeat, big drop from the lead-in. 2.8 18-49 rating is decent for a repeat, though.
- Family Guy (Fox) - 6.28 million for a repeat could be better.
- American Dad (Fox) - Only 5.08 million for a repeat. 2.5 18-49 rating is OK for a repeat.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - A repeat did 5.62 million, which is OK but CBS Monday sitcoms are usually better than this.
- Accidentally on Purpose (CBS) - 5.41 million for a repeat, but decent retention at least from the lead-in. And held 100% of the 18-49 rating lead-in of a 1.7
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - 10.78 million for a repeat. Excellent. I just wonder once this show finishes what will happen to the rest of the CBS Monday comedies?
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A repeat did a nice 10.0 million and a 3.4 18-49 rating, best of the week for sitcoms. The lead-in certainly boosts the overall numbers, but the 18-49 rating is impressive.
- Scrubs (ABC) - An all-new episode of the [Med School] edition did only 3.43 million and a 1.3 18-49 rating, both down from previous week. Don't think it should have been new on this night due to the holiday season. Repeat this Tuesday.
- Better off Ted (ABC) - Only 2.77 million, even lower than previous week. It will be new again this Tuesday, too, but after a repeat of Scrubs this week...look for bad numbers.
- Old Christine (CBS) - preempted.
- Gary Unmarried (CBS) - preempted.
- The Middle (ABC) 2 episodes - 5.4 million for a repeat in its normal time, is up from previous week a bit. A special repeat at 9:30pm did 4.38 million.
- Modern Family (ABC) - A repeat did 5.58 million, up some from previous week's repeat.
- Cougar Town (ABC) 2 episodes - Two special repeats in the 10pm hour did 3.68 million and 3.34 million, could be better...but it did air in the 10pm hour. Don't forget ABC Comedy Wednesday returns Jan. 6 with Lisa Kudrow on Cougar Town!
- Community (NBC) - preempted.
- Parks & Recreation (NBC) - preempted.
- The Office (NBC) - preempted.
- 30 Rock (NBC) - preempted.
- The Middle (ABC) - A Christmas episode repeat on Christmas Eve did 2.72 million in prelim numbers.
- Modern Family (ABC) - The Christmas episode repeat did a prelim 3.36 million on a special night.
- Cougar Town (ABC) - The Christmas episode repeat did a prelim 2.67 million on Christmas Eve.
- 'Til Death (Fox) 4 episodes - The show returned on Christmas night with NEW episodes. Ouch! Obviously the ratings were terrible. Prelim numbers of each are: 2.51 million, 2.4, 2.43, and 2.74 million.
Airing tonight (Sunday) on Fox are repeats of animated comedies from 8-10pm tonight following two new episodes of Brothers at 7.
Summing it up. Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory & Modern Family Wed 9pm repeats were impressive for the week. Everything else was OK (such as The Middle Wed 8:30 repeat, Accidentally on Purpose) or just plain old terrible (such as Better off Ted, Scrubs, 'Til Death).