Monday, March 07, 2016
Late last week Viacom Networks TV Land and CMT had their annual upfront presentation in New York City. Following a successful brand re-invention, TV Land continues to evolve and expand its roster of original scripted programming by partnering with A-list talent, producers and writers to become a destination for compelling, quality television. During the network's Upfront presentation at Jazz at Lincoln Center in New York, Keith Cox, TV Land's Executive Vice President, Development and Original Programming, announced an overall deal with entertainment icon Darren Star, the creator, executive producer and writer of the network's critically-acclaimed comedy Younger, keeping him on board to develop another project with the network. Cox also revealed that TV Land has renewed Teachers for a 20-episode second season after reaching an impressive average of 3.4 million viewers each week across all platforms (1 minute qualifier, average weekly reach).
TV Land also announced pilot orders for projects with prominent creative forces in the industry. The first is a fresh adaptation of the cult comedy hit The First Wives Club, to be written by Rebecca Addelman (New Girl) and executive produced by Jenny Bicks (Sex and the City), and the second is an untitled put pilot based on the life of Kyle Richards (The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills) with Emmy(R)-winning executive producers John Wells (Shameless, ER, The West Wing) and John Riggi (The Comeback, 30 Rock, Will & Grace). These join the previously announced pilot Nobodies, currently shooting in Los Angeles, executive produced by Emmy(R) winner Melissa McCarthy and Ben Falcone. TV Land's growing list of comedies include The Jim Gaffigan Show, premiering season two Wednesday, June 22 at 10pm ET/PT, and Impastor, premiering season two on Wednesday, July 13 at 10:30pm ET/PT. New series Lopez, executive produced by comedian George Lopez and Silicon Valley's John Altschuler and Dave Krinsky, premieres Wednesday, March 30 at 10pm ET/PT. Younger's second season, which hit series highs this week with Adults 18-49, Adults 25-39 and total viewers (L+3), airs its finale on Wednesday, March 23 at 10pm ET/PT and was recently renewed for a third season.
The event featured appearances by TV Land series stars Molly Bernard (Younger), Hilary Duff (Younger), Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show), Peter Hermann (Younger), George Lopez (Lopez), Debi Mazar (Younger), Miriam Shor (Younger), Nico Tortorella (Younger), and executive producers Alison Brie (Teachers) and Darren Star (Younger).
Moving on to CMT, they are doubling its impressive slate of original award-winning programming, music events and documentaries including a new annual music tent-pole event "Concert of the Summer," the first round of casting for Million Dollar Quartet (working title) and a second season order for I Love Kellie Pickler. CMT also revealed the premiere dates for Still The King, The Dude Perfect Show and NASCAR: The Rise of American Speed at the network's annual Upfront presentation held at Jazz at Lincoln Center in New York. We'll cover the new comedy Still the King only here. The comedy Still the King debuts Sunday, June 12 at 9pm ET/PT, a few days after the 2016 CMT Music Awards. The series boasts an impressive ensemble cast with Billy Ray Cyrus, Joey Lauren Adams (Big Daddy, Mall Rats), Madison Iseman (Laid in America, Nickelodeon's Henry Danger), Lacey Chabert (Mean Girls, Party of Five), Leslie David Baker (The Office), Kevin Farley (The Waterboy), Travis Nicholson and Jon Sewell. Still the King follows Vernon (Cyrus), a scandal-ridden, washed-up, one-hit-wonder who crashes back into the life of his ex (Adams) and discovers he had a daughter (Iseman) he knew nothing about.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 21
Last Man Standing - "Trick or Treat" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Halloween and the Baxter family is excited for their annual party, except for Mike who’s reluctantly tasked with choosing the theme. In hopes of turning everyone against the holiday, Mike decides that maybe if the whole family has to dress up like each other they’ll end up making fun of one another. Eve dresses up like Mandy and Mandy dresses down like Eve, Kristin and Ryan swap roles, and Mike shows up to the party as… Donald Trump!? The impersonating turns into bickering but in the end, the Baxters come together to support Vanessa as she learns that she’s being laid off.
Dr. Ken - "D.K.'s Korean Ghost Story" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Halloween, Allison is disappointed the holiday doesn’t seem to scare Dave anymore, meaning her little boy is growing up, perhaps too fast. But that might change after D.K. tells a scary Korean gwishin (ghost) story. The Park family, as well as the gang at Welltopia, bring the story to life playing the various gwishins.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Jack" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus deals with the loss of one of his former teammates.
Friday, October 21
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah talks about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1:15pm.
- Lindsay Sloane (The Odd Couple/The Stones/Mr. Rhodes) - Lindsay visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Tom and Ron will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about King Cobra on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Grey (Red Oaks/It's Like, You Know...) - Jennifer joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Thomas and Jason are guests on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Red Oaks/Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.