Monday, March 07, 2016
Late last week Viacom Networks TV Land and CMT had their annual upfront presentation in New York City. Following a successful brand re-invention, TV Land continues to evolve and expand its roster of original scripted programming by partnering with A-list talent, producers and writers to become a destination for compelling, quality television. During the network's Upfront presentation at Jazz at Lincoln Center in New York, Keith Cox, TV Land's Executive Vice President, Development and Original Programming, announced an overall deal with entertainment icon Darren Star, the creator, executive producer and writer of the network's critically-acclaimed comedy Younger, keeping him on board to develop another project with the network. Cox also revealed that TV Land has renewed Teachers for a 20-episode second season after reaching an impressive average of 3.4 million viewers each week across all platforms (1 minute qualifier, average weekly reach).
TV Land also announced pilot orders for projects with prominent creative forces in the industry. The first is a fresh adaptation of the cult comedy hit The First Wives Club, to be written by Rebecca Addelman (New Girl) and executive produced by Jenny Bicks (Sex and the City), and the second is an untitled put pilot based on the life of Kyle Richards (The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills) with Emmy(R)-winning executive producers John Wells (Shameless, ER, The West Wing) and John Riggi (The Comeback, 30 Rock, Will & Grace). These join the previously announced pilot Nobodies, currently shooting in Los Angeles, executive produced by Emmy(R) winner Melissa McCarthy and Ben Falcone. TV Land's growing list of comedies include The Jim Gaffigan Show, premiering season two Wednesday, June 22 at 10pm ET/PT, and Impastor, premiering season two on Wednesday, July 13 at 10:30pm ET/PT. New series Lopez, executive produced by comedian George Lopez and Silicon Valley's John Altschuler and Dave Krinsky, premieres Wednesday, March 30 at 10pm ET/PT. Younger's second season, which hit series highs this week with Adults 18-49, Adults 25-39 and total viewers (L+3), airs its finale on Wednesday, March 23 at 10pm ET/PT and was recently renewed for a third season.
The event featured appearances by TV Land series stars Molly Bernard (Younger), Hilary Duff (Younger), Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show), Peter Hermann (Younger), George Lopez (Lopez), Debi Mazar (Younger), Miriam Shor (Younger), Nico Tortorella (Younger), and executive producers Alison Brie (Teachers) and Darren Star (Younger).
Moving on to CMT, they are doubling its impressive slate of original award-winning programming, music events and documentaries including a new annual music tent-pole event "Concert of the Summer," the first round of casting for Million Dollar Quartet (working title) and a second season order for I Love Kellie Pickler. CMT also revealed the premiere dates for Still The King, The Dude Perfect Show and NASCAR: The Rise of American Speed at the network's annual Upfront presentation held at Jazz at Lincoln Center in New York. We'll cover the new comedy Still the King only here. The comedy Still the King debuts Sunday, June 12 at 9pm ET/PT, a few days after the 2016 CMT Music Awards. The series boasts an impressive ensemble cast with Billy Ray Cyrus, Joey Lauren Adams (Big Daddy, Mall Rats), Madison Iseman (Laid in America, Nickelodeon's Henry Danger), Lacey Chabert (Mean Girls, Party of Five), Leslie David Baker (The Office), Kevin Farley (The Waterboy), Travis Nicholson and Jon Sewell. Still the King follows Vernon (Cyrus), a scandal-ridden, washed-up, one-hit-wonder who crashes back into the life of his ex (Adams) and discovers he had a daughter (Iseman) he knew nothing about.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.