Monday, March 07, 2016
Late last week Viacom Networks TV Land and CMT had their annual upfront presentation in New York City. Following a successful brand re-invention, TV Land continues to evolve and expand its roster of original scripted programming by partnering with A-list talent, producers and writers to become a destination for compelling, quality television. During the network's Upfront presentation at Jazz at Lincoln Center in New York, Keith Cox, TV Land's Executive Vice President, Development and Original Programming, announced an overall deal with entertainment icon Darren Star, the creator, executive producer and writer of the network's critically-acclaimed comedy Younger, keeping him on board to develop another project with the network. Cox also revealed that TV Land has renewed Teachers for a 20-episode second season after reaching an impressive average of 3.4 million viewers each week across all platforms (1 minute qualifier, average weekly reach).
TV Land also announced pilot orders for projects with prominent creative forces in the industry. The first is a fresh adaptation of the cult comedy hit The First Wives Club, to be written by Rebecca Addelman (New Girl) and executive produced by Jenny Bicks (Sex and the City), and the second is an untitled put pilot based on the life of Kyle Richards (The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills) with Emmy(R)-winning executive producers John Wells (Shameless, ER, The West Wing) and John Riggi (The Comeback, 30 Rock, Will & Grace). These join the previously announced pilot Nobodies, currently shooting in Los Angeles, executive produced by Emmy(R) winner Melissa McCarthy and Ben Falcone. TV Land's growing list of comedies include The Jim Gaffigan Show, premiering season two Wednesday, June 22 at 10pm ET/PT, and Impastor, premiering season two on Wednesday, July 13 at 10:30pm ET/PT. New series Lopez, executive produced by comedian George Lopez and Silicon Valley's John Altschuler and Dave Krinsky, premieres Wednesday, March 30 at 10pm ET/PT. Younger's second season, which hit series highs this week with Adults 18-49, Adults 25-39 and total viewers (L+3), airs its finale on Wednesday, March 23 at 10pm ET/PT and was recently renewed for a third season.
The event featured appearances by TV Land series stars Molly Bernard (Younger), Hilary Duff (Younger), Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show), Peter Hermann (Younger), George Lopez (Lopez), Debi Mazar (Younger), Miriam Shor (Younger), Nico Tortorella (Younger), and executive producers Alison Brie (Teachers) and Darren Star (Younger).
Moving on to CMT, they are doubling its impressive slate of original award-winning programming, music events and documentaries including a new annual music tent-pole event "Concert of the Summer," the first round of casting for Million Dollar Quartet (working title) and a second season order for I Love Kellie Pickler. CMT also revealed the premiere dates for Still The King, The Dude Perfect Show and NASCAR: The Rise of American Speed at the network's annual Upfront presentation held at Jazz at Lincoln Center in New York. We'll cover the new comedy Still the King only here. The comedy Still the King debuts Sunday, June 12 at 9pm ET/PT, a few days after the 2016 CMT Music Awards. The series boasts an impressive ensemble cast with Billy Ray Cyrus, Joey Lauren Adams (Big Daddy, Mall Rats), Madison Iseman (Laid in America, Nickelodeon's Henry Danger), Lacey Chabert (Mean Girls, Party of Five), Leslie David Baker (The Office), Kevin Farley (The Waterboy), Travis Nicholson and Jon Sewell. Still the King follows Vernon (Cyrus), a scandal-ridden, washed-up, one-hit-wonder who crashes back into the life of his ex (Adams) and discovers he had a daughter (Iseman) he knew nothing about.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, December 10
Saturday, December 10
- Dennis Haskins (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The New Class) - Dennis will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Watch Jennifer Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He also chats about the film Why Him? on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- John Goodman (Roseanne/Normal, Ohio) - John appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Chris visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Olivia Munn (Perfect Couples) - Olivia is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS. She joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Matthew stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will talks about Collateral Beauty on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Out of Practice/Arrested Development) - Henry will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Megan Mullally (Will & Grace) - Megan is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.