Tuesday, September 22, 2015
Heroes & Icons Network Coming to Top Cities; TV Land's Younger Returns in January 2016 as Production Is Underway
Heroes & Icons (H&I), Weigel Broadcasting Co.'s network featuring iconic stars in compelling action, adventure and sci-fi dramas announced a major affiliation agreement with the Fox Television Stations. H&I will launch in the following Fox Television markets this fourth quarter: New York City, Los Angeles, Dallas, San Francisco, Washington D.C., Phoenix, Detroit, Tampa, Orlando and Charlotte. Among the programming highlights H&I will bring to its affiliates in 2016 is the presentation of all five Star Trek franchises. For the first time, all five series will be seen on one network simultaneously. It's a terrific way to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the original series. Other programs featured on H&I include the groundbreaking Steven Bochco series Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue. The Stephen J. Cannell series Hunter, The Commish, Wiseguy, 21 Jump Street and others are also part of the schedule which focuses on strong, heroic characters in iconic roles.
TV Land's Younger, the "irresistible" (US Weekly) and "charming" (Vulture) critically-acclaimed hit series full of "feistiness" (EW.com), began production on its second season yesterday. The single camera comedy from Sex and the City creator Darren Star has moved to Silvercup Studios in Long Island City for season two, the home to some of the biggest pop culture TV hits. Series stars Sutton Foster, Hilary Duff, Debi Mazar, Miriam Shor and Nico Tortorella are back, as are Molly Bernard as Lauren and Peter Hermann as Charles - both of whom are now series regulars. Dan Amboyer and Tessa Albertson also co-star as Thad and Caitlin, respectively. Younger season two will debut on TV Land in January 2016. As the season unfolds, there is even more excitement and romance, and the stakes are higher than ever as one more person knows Liza's secret. Liza (Foster) and Josh (Tortorella) will continue to evaluate their relationship now that he knows the truth, while Kelsey (Duff), still in the dark, takes command at work. Maggie (Mazar) begins a surprising new relationship and Diana (Shor) finally tries to make things happen with Charles, but her timing is terrible. Younger follows Liza, a 40-year old woman who pretends to be 26 in order to get a job in the highly competitive world of publishing - and succeeds. Now working under the prickly Diana, Liza has to figure out how to balance her real life with bestie Maggie, and her "pretend" life with new friend and coworker Kelsey. When Liza lets her secret slip, she must try to salvage her relationship with sexy young tattoo artist Josh, all while navigating a confusing chemistry with her boss Charles, and dealing with her daughter's return from studying abroad.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, April 23
The Simpsons - "The Cad and the Hat" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Bart betrays Lisa, he has to deal with his guilt – literally. Meanwhile, Springfield is in awe when Homer is revealed to be a chess savant.
Bob's Burgers - "Zero Lap Thirty" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
When Linda wins a contest to spend a dream weekend at the home where her favorite television show is filmed, things don’t go quite as planned. Back at home, Teddy’s back problems leave him stuck on the floor.
Bob's Burgers - "The Laser-inth" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Gene accompanies Bob on the last-ever rock-and-roll laser show at the planetarium, but the night takes an unexpected turn. Meanwhile, Linda takes the girls out for dinner and Louise has a surprise revelation.
Making History - "The Godfriender" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Dan, Deb and Chris find themselves stuck in 1920s Chicago, with Al Capone (guest star Tim Robinson) holding their time travel bag hostage. Chris opts for a play-it-safe plan, using history to take out Capone, while Dan and Deb befriend him instead. As they teach him how to be a better mobster – and husband – they quickly realize that proving their loyalty may not be as easy as they thought.
Family Guy - "Hot Shots" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
In order to “save” Stewie from autism, Peter and Lois decide not to vaccinate him and then proceed to convince the rest of Quahog to follow suit. Stewie runs away to save himself from diseases until Sean Penn (guest-voicing as himself) swoops in to save the day and brings vaccines to the whole town.
The Last Man on Earth - "Name 20 Picnics...Now!" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
The gang throws a huge celebration canvassing every major holiday, but Tandy and Todd’s bro-mance hits a rough patch that threatens to end the fun.
Monday, April 24
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Transparent/Free Agents) - Watch Kathryn on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. She also talks about the new series I Love Dick on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. She also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Andrea Martin (Great News/Difficult People/Working the Engels) - Andrea stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Briga Heelan (Great News/Ground Floor) - Briga is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Matt Walsh (Veep), Mary Holland (Blunt Talk) and Timothy Simons (Veep) - Matt, Mary and Timothy are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley) - Kumail drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie talks about making her Broadway debut in Present Laughter on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Katie Gill (Baby Daddy) - Katie is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa joins Clinton Kelly in the kitchen to make a delicious dessert with an ingredient she’s never had before—Rhubarb on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Kate Walsh (Bad Judge/The Drew Carey Show) - Kate talks about 13 Reasons Why on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.