Wednesday, August 26, 2015
Acclaimed movie diginet getTV introduces classic TV series to its lineup for the first time by adding a block of rarely seen Western series starting Saturday, September 12 at 12pm ET. The brand new block is a part of the network's popular ongoing all-day Saturday Westerns lineup, and will debut with five episodes of the 1971 series Nichols, starring beloved leading man James Garner and a young Margot Kidder, in one of her first major roles. Additionally, getTV will present five episodes of the wandering gunslinger series Hondo from 1967, starring Ralph Taeger and Michael Pate, on September 19; and 10 episodes of 1965's A Man Called Shenandoah, starring Robert Horton, on September 26; both also starting at Noon ET. Following three weeks of mini-marathons, all of the newly added Western series will join the regular Saturday lineup on a weekly basis in October.
James Garner is a man looking for a fresh start in Nichols, set in small-town Arizona in the early 1900s. Having left an 18-year career in the military, Garner as Nichols finds himself blackmailed into the role of town sheriff by the villainous Ketcham Family, who run the town. Riding a motorcycle instead of a horse, and forsaking guns in favor of more peaceful resolutions, the newly-crowned lawman takes on bandits, manages town bullies and woos beautiful bar maid Margot Kidder...all with his own unique style. Created by Oscar®-winning screenwriter Frank Pierson, with episodes directed by such notables as John Badham and Ivan Dixon, Nichols also featured Garner's eventual The Rockford Files co-star Stuart Margolin and included such guest stars as Tom Skerritt, Scatman Crothers, Ralph Waite, Alice Ghostley, and Ricardo Montalban, and was well-known for being one of James Garner's favorite television roles.
Ralph Taeger and his faithful canine sidekick Sam hit the road in 1967's Hondo. Based on the 1953 John Wayne drama of the same name--which, in turn, was inspired by Louis L'Amour's sixth novel--the series stars Taeger as a former Confederate officer who lived with the Apaches. Tasked with preventing more violence from occurring between settlers and the remaining tribes, Hondo embarks on a quest to avenge his Indian wife's death, while battling dastardly land-grabbers, nosy reporters, and other outlaws, in the process. Famed movie villain Michael Pate also stars, reprising his big screen role as Apache Chief Vittoro, and the series features such guest stars as Ricky Nelson, Fernando Lamas and Annette Funicello. Noah Beery Jr. (who played James Garner's father in The Rockford Files) co-stars in this series.
Wagon Train's Robert Horton stars in the well-regarded half hour Western drama A Man Called Shenandoah. Horton stars as a man who wakes up after being brutally attacked, with no memory of who he is or why anyone would want to harm him. Searching for clues to his past life, the man dubbed "Shenandoah" travels through the desert, running afoul of lynch mobs, dodging false charges, facing off against violent criminals, and doling out Old West justice along the way. In addition to Horton, the series boasted a number of impressive guest stars, including Oscar® winners Cloris Leachman, Martin Landau, and George Kennedy, and nominees Bruce Dern, Sally Kellerman, Nina Foch, John Ireland, and Arthur O'Connell.
ABC's The View is ramping up for a season unlike any other with more opinions and new points of view when the talk show returns on Tuesday, September 8 for Season 19. Joy Behar, celebrated performer and original co-host of The View returns, actress Candace Cameron Bure, known to television audiences for decades on the enormously successful sitcom Full House and the upcoming Fuller House, and Paula Faris, Good Morning America Weekend co-anchor, join moderator Whoopi Goldberg, Raven-Symoné and Michelle Collins as co-hosts. Back to Candace, she is of course known to millions worldwide from her role as "D.J. Tanner" on the iconic family sitcom Full House, Cameron Bure continues to flourish in the entertainment industry as a role model to women of all ages. She is currently filming her leading role in the highly anticipated new series Fuller House, where she is reprising her role as 'D.J.' She is the author of two best-selling books, "Reshaping It All: Motivation for Physical and Spiritual Fitness" and "Balancing It All." Book number three was just released, "Dancing Through Life: Steps of Courage and Conviction," a reflection on the life lessons she learned while dancing her way to the finals on season 18 of Dancing with the Stars.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 23
Downward Dog - "Boundaries" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Nan installs an automatic dog door so she can take away Jason’s key but still keep him as Martin’s dog walker, Martin is convinced he can suddenly open doors with his mind, and the new-found power goes to his head. Meanwhile at work, Nan’s boss is unable to understand the new ad campaign Nan sold to the corporate bosses, and he spirals into confusion.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Bank Job" / "Crime & Punishment" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Jake and Rosa continue their search for a bank-robbing operation with Lieutenant Hawkins (guest star Gina Gershon), they realize there’s more to her team than meets the eye. After discovering a dangerous secret, they call for back-up from Holt and Pimento (guest star Jason Mantzoukas). Meanwhile, Boyle objects to Gina’s new boyfriend (guest star Ryan Phillipe). Then, Jake and Rosa are framed for a crime they didn’t commit, it’s up to the Nine-Nine to find a way to bust them out.
Great News - "Carol Has a Bully" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Carol (Andrea Martin) has a midterm she must pass in order to keep her internship. Katie (Briga Heelan) needs to choose between helping her mom and focusing on her hacking story, which she can't seem to crack. Meanwhile, Greg's (Adam Campbell) wealthy estranged grandmother (guest star Christina Pickles) pays a visit to the office. Chuck (John Michael Higgins) finds her cold and cruel, but almost immediately falls in love with her.
Great News - "Carol's Eleven" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) makes a huge discovery about the story she's been chasing and, with the help of Carol (Andrea Martin) and the rest of the staff, concocts a scheme to get the story out. Greg (Adam Campbell) struggles with balancing his conflicting loyalties to his family, co-workers and conscience.
Mann & Wife - "Mann, Shut Yo Mouth" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Struggling to solve a tough case, an exhausted Daniel falls asleep and wakes up in a 70's blaxploitation cop show.
Tuesday, May 23
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Catch Terry on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Rob Huebel (Trasparent/Burning Love) - Rob appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to The Captain/Gary Unmarried), Andrew Santino (I'm Dying Up Here/Sin City Saints) and Erik Griffin (I'm Dying Up Here) - Al, Andrew and Erik are guests on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ari Graynor (I'm Dying Up Here/Bad Teacher) - Ari stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ben Falcone (Nobodies/A to Z/Joey) - Ben drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Abigail Breslin (Scream Queens) - Abigail appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Ryan, so check your listings.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim talks about her new book Girling Up: How to Be Strong, Smart and Spectacular and The Big Bang Theory on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- William Shatner ($#*! My Dad Says) - William is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle teams up with Clinton Kelly to grill up a great entrée on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nicole Byer ( Loosely Exactly Nicole) - Nicole is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- The Love Boat Cast - The cast of The Love Boat reunites on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Debra chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie talks about Beat Shazam on AOL Build Show 4pm.