Tuesday, June 09, 2015
Bounce TV -- the nation's first and only broadcast television network designed for African American audiences -- has licensed the broadcast television rights to all five seasons and 104 episodes of the Peabody and EMMY award-winning sitcom The Bernie Mac Show in a multi-year agreement with Twentieth Television. Bounce TV is airing the The Bernie Mac Show Monday-Friday with back-to-back episodes from 8:00-9:00 pm (ET) as of June 1. The sitcom joins The Hughleys (7:00-8:00pm) and The Parent 'Hood (6:00-7:00 pm) in Bounce TV's early evening line-up. Bounce also of course airs A Different World (9-10am) and Roc (10-11am). Bounce TV has also quietly acquired the rights to the '90s comedy Cosby, which aired on CBS from 1996-2000 and starred Bill Cosby. Cosby is airing weekdays from 5-6pm as of June 1.
In The Bernie Mac Show, Bernie Mac stars as a famous stand-up comedian living large in Los Angeles with his beautiful wife Wanda (Kellita Smith). However, their world changes when they suddenly must take custody of his sister's three children when she is ordered into rehab. The critically-acclaimed show, loosely based on Mac's stand-up comedy act, was a mainstay on FOX from 2001-2006. Mac's character being a celebrity allowed for a who's who of stars to make guest appearances on the show including Chris Rock, Halle Berry, Don Cheadle, Charles Barkley, Snoop Dog and Ice Cube. The series was created by Larry Wilmore, now the host of The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore on Comedy Central.
Actor and comedian Reynaldo Rey, who appeared as Ray the Mailman in 227, has died. He died in Los Angeles on May 28 from complications due to a stroke he suffered last year. Mr. Rey was 75.
Rey played the recurring role of Ray the Mailman in 18 episodes of 227 from 1986-1990. He also worked as a writer for two episodes. His other sitcom guest appearances included Sanford, The Royal Family, The Parent 'Hood, The Wayans Bros., Sister, Sister, The Bernie Mac Show and Everybody Hates Chris.
He was the co-host of BET's ComicView in 1998–1999 and 2000–2001. Some of his film credits included Harlem Nights, A Rage in Harlem, White Men Can't Jump, House Party 3, Friday and For Da Love of Money.
Actor, singer and female impersonator Jim Bailey, who appeared in over 70 television and movie roles, has died. He died at his home in Los Angeles on May 30 from complications due to pneumonia. Mr. Bailey was 77.
Bailey appeared as Phyllis Diller in the 1972 Here's Lucy episode "Lucy and Jim Bailey." In 1985, he guest starred in the Night Court episode "Best of Friends" as Chip/Charlene, a college friend of Dan's (John Larroquette) who had undergone a sex change.
Some of his other television guest appearances included Switch, The Rockford Files, Vega$ and Ally McBeal. His many talk show/variety appearances included The Ed Sullivan Show, The Carol Burnett Show, The Dean Martin Show, The Mike Douglas Show, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, The Merv Griffin Show, Late Night with David Letterman and The Joan Rivers Show.
Actress Mary Ellen Trainor, who appeared as Parker Lewis' mother in Parker Lewis Can't Lose, has died. She died on May 20 at her home in Montecito, California from complications of pancreatic cancer. Ms. Trainor was 62.
Trainor played the role of Judy Lewis, the mother of Parker Lewis, in the Fox comedy Parker Lewis Can't Lose from 1989-1991. She appeared in the pilot episode and seasons 2-3, replacing Anne Bloom after the first season.
She starred as Eve Lukens in the ABC dramedy Relativity in 1996-1997. She played Diane Evans in the WB/UPN sci-fi drama Roswell from 1999-2002. Her television guest appearances included Cheers, Crazy Like a Fox, Remington Steele, Amazing Stories, Tales from the Crypt and The Outsiders.
Some of her film credits included Romancing the Stone, The Goonies, all four Lethal Weapon films, The Monster Squad, Die Hard, Scrooged, Ghostbusters II, Back to the Future Part II, Ricochet, Death Becomes Her, Little Giants, Congo and Freaky Friday. She was married to director Robert Zemeckis from 1980-2000. They had a son, Alex.
We thank them for the entertainment they brought us over the years. They will be greatly missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, February 28
Fresh Off the Boat - "Living While Eddie" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After her precious morning papaya goes missing and the dishwasher was used for its actual purpose rather than just a drying rack, Jessica automatically accuses Eddie as the culprit. Yet when a record store manager accuses him of stealing a CD, she realizes he has other motives for his actions. Meanwhile, Louis and Emery are bursting with excitement when a TV crew comes to shoot an infomercial at Cattleman’s Ranch.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Heartbreak" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Devastated by his break-up with Brett, Kenny tags along with Pat and Jimmy to a Lonely Hearts happy hour, but when they try to use Kenny’s sadness to get attention from single ladies, Kenny inadvertently steals the show. Meanwhile, Eileen shuns the usual Valentine’s Day traditions until a chance encounter changes her mind.
American Housewife - "Westport Zombies" (ABC, 10:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Katie, jealous of Taylor’s friendship with neighbor Viv (Leslie Bibb), reluctantly competes in the Westport Halloween “Zombie Run” after she finds out they’ll both be running. Meanwhile, Greg and Anna-Kat get a little too much in character for the “zombie” part of the run’s obstacle course.
New Girl - "Young Adult" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Jess worries that she may not be a cool enough principal, she recruits Nick and “The Pepperwood Chronicles” to help make her popular with the students. Meanwhile, Schmidt hires an eager and overly-aggressive new assistant and Winston realizes that Furguson may be two-timing him.
The Mick - "The New Girl" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Mickey believes Ben’s school is discriminating against him, she stands up for her nephew. Meanwhile, Sabrina and Chip spend time with Alba and learn some surprising things about her.
Kevin Can Wait - "The Power of Positive Drinking" (CBS, 10:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Kevin takes a job as a bartender, he goes too far when he starts dispensing unsolicited advice to his customers.
The Detour - "The Tub" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
As Nate and Robin contemplate having another child, a neighbor's casual get together turns into a home birth; Delilah learns about being a third wheel.
Teachers - "Thirty-One and Done" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Ms. Snap struggles with the idea of turning thirty-one and tries to regain her youth. Ms. Bennigan offers to babysit Blake for Hot Dad. The Teachers deal with every teacher’s nightmare when the copier breaks down.
Tuesday, February 28
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. She also talks about Table 19 on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 9am hour.
- Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) - Aubrey is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Whoopi Goldberg (Whoopi/Bagdad Cafe) - Whoopi visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife) - Bradley stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Natalie Zea (The Detour) - Natalie is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Dan Bucatinsky (Marry Me/The Comeback) - Dan drops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. She also talks about the new season of Nashville on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me!) - David drops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Katherine LaNasa (Three Sisters) - Katherine bakes a Mardi Gras king cake on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Craig Robinson (The Office/Mr. Robinson) - Craig talks about Table 19 on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh talks about his The Arrangement on the AOL Build Show at 5pm. He will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Tiffani Thiessen (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The College Years) - Tiffani is a guest on The Doctors, so check your local listings.
- Kate Walsh (Bad Judge/The Drew Carey Show) - Kate appears on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 8:50am.