Tuesday, June 09, 2015
Bounce TV -- the nation's first and only broadcast television network designed for African American audiences -- has licensed the broadcast television rights to all five seasons and 104 episodes of the Peabody and EMMY award-winning sitcom The Bernie Mac Show in a multi-year agreement with Twentieth Television. Bounce TV is airing the The Bernie Mac Show Monday-Friday with back-to-back episodes from 8:00-9:00 pm (ET) as of June 1. The sitcom joins The Hughleys (7:00-8:00pm) and The Parent 'Hood (6:00-7:00 pm) in Bounce TV's early evening line-up. Bounce also of course airs A Different World (9-10am) and Roc (10-11am). Bounce TV has also quietly acquired the rights to the '90s comedy Cosby, which aired on CBS from 1996-2000 and starred Bill Cosby. Cosby is airing weekdays from 5-6pm as of June 1.
In The Bernie Mac Show, Bernie Mac stars as a famous stand-up comedian living large in Los Angeles with his beautiful wife Wanda (Kellita Smith). However, their world changes when they suddenly must take custody of his sister's three children when she is ordered into rehab. The critically-acclaimed show, loosely based on Mac's stand-up comedy act, was a mainstay on FOX from 2001-2006. Mac's character being a celebrity allowed for a who's who of stars to make guest appearances on the show including Chris Rock, Halle Berry, Don Cheadle, Charles Barkley, Snoop Dog and Ice Cube. The series was created by Larry Wilmore, now the host of The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore on Comedy Central.
Actor and comedian Reynaldo Rey, who appeared as Ray the Mailman in 227, has died. He died in Los Angeles on May 28 from complications due to a stroke he suffered last year. Mr. Rey was 75.
Rey played the recurring role of Ray the Mailman in 18 episodes of 227 from 1986-1990. He also worked as a writer for two episodes. His other sitcom guest appearances included Sanford, The Royal Family, The Parent 'Hood, The Wayans Bros., Sister, Sister, The Bernie Mac Show and Everybody Hates Chris.
He was the co-host of BET's ComicView in 1998–1999 and 2000–2001. Some of his film credits included Harlem Nights, A Rage in Harlem, White Men Can't Jump, House Party 3, Friday and For Da Love of Money.
Actor, singer and female impersonator Jim Bailey, who appeared in over 70 television and movie roles, has died. He died at his home in Los Angeles on May 30 from complications due to pneumonia. Mr. Bailey was 77.
Bailey appeared as Phyllis Diller in the 1972 Here's Lucy episode "Lucy and Jim Bailey." In 1985, he guest starred in the Night Court episode "Best of Friends" as Chip/Charlene, a college friend of Dan's (John Larroquette) who had undergone a sex change.
Some of his other television guest appearances included Switch, The Rockford Files, Vega$ and Ally McBeal. His many talk show/variety appearances included The Ed Sullivan Show, The Carol Burnett Show, The Dean Martin Show, The Mike Douglas Show, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, The Merv Griffin Show, Late Night with David Letterman and The Joan Rivers Show.
Actress Mary Ellen Trainor, who appeared as Parker Lewis' mother in Parker Lewis Can't Lose, has died. She died on May 20 at her home in Montecito, California from complications of pancreatic cancer. Ms. Trainor was 62.
Trainor played the role of Judy Lewis, the mother of Parker Lewis, in the Fox comedy Parker Lewis Can't Lose from 1989-1991. She appeared in the pilot episode and seasons 2-3, replacing Anne Bloom after the first season.
She starred as Eve Lukens in the ABC dramedy Relativity in 1996-1997. She played Diane Evans in the WB/UPN sci-fi drama Roswell from 1999-2002. Her television guest appearances included Cheers, Crazy Like a Fox, Remington Steele, Amazing Stories, Tales from the Crypt and The Outsiders.
Some of her film credits included Romancing the Stone, The Goonies, all four Lethal Weapon films, The Monster Squad, Die Hard, Scrooged, Ghostbusters II, Back to the Future Part II, Ricochet, Death Becomes Her, Little Giants, Congo and Freaky Friday. She was married to director Robert Zemeckis from 1980-2000. They had a son, Alex.
We thank them for the entertainment they brought us over the years. They will be greatly missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, December 5
Kevin Can Wait - "Kevin's Bringing Supper Back" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Kevin’s resolve to spend more quality time with his family is put to the ultimate test when his buddies surprise him with concert tickets to his favorite musician, fellow Long Islander Billy Joel. Multiple Grammy Award-winning pianist, singer and songwriter Billy Joel appears as himself.
Man with a Plan - "Holey War" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the kids won’t admit who put a hole in the wall, Adam and Andi team up to get the culprit to confess.
2 Broke Girls - "And the About FaceTime" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Randy and Max get tired of Caroline being the third wheel on their FaceTime dates, Randy sets her up with one of his co-workers. Also, Oleg is distraught when Sophie tells him to trade in his beloved car for a minivan.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Celebration Experimentation" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After more than nine years together, the gang finally celebrates Sheldon’s birthday, surprising him with a special guest. Christine Baranski, John Ross Bowie, Sara Gilbert and Wil Wheaton return, joined by special guest star Adam West.
American Dad - "Bahama Mama" (TBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Stan gets upset at the idea of becoming a grandfather after Hayley and Jeff announced they're trying to have a baby; Steve and Klaus join a drug gang.
People of Earth - "Last Day on Earth" (TBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Gerry says goodbye to StarCrossed as he readies for his own long-awaited experience; Jonathan Walsh shares game changing information with Ozzie; Don and Kelly go on a date.
Monday, December 5
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Watch Will on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Steve Harvey (The Steve Harvey Show) - Steve visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Jason visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Gael García Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Emmanuelle Chriqui (Entourage) - Emmanuelle drops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Steve appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- The Cast of Fuller House - The cast of Fuller House are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Patricia stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Miss Piggy (The Muppets) - Miss Piggy and Harry perform Deck the Halls on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Meredith Hagner (Search Party/Men at Work) - Meredith is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Lauren Graham (The Odd Couple/Conrad Bloom/Townies) - Lauren appears on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. talks about Office Christmas Party on the AOL Build Show at 3pm. He will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. He can also be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 9:50am.
- Bradley Whitford (Happyish/Trophy Wife) - Bradley is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Josh McDermitt (Retired at 35) - Josh can be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 10:45am.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn talks about Kevin Can Wait on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.