Friday, October 31, 2014
Hulu has given a ten episode straight-to-series order to Casual, a single-camera, half-hour comedy series from Lionsgate Television to be executive-produced by Oscar(R) nominated director Jason Reitman (Up in the Air, Juno), series writer Zander Lehmann and Reitman's production partner Helen Estabrook (Whiplash, Young Adult), the company announced. Casual will debut on Hulu in 2015, with Reitman set to direct the premiere episode. Casual follows the story of a dysfunctional family with a bachelor brother and his newly divorced sister. Together, they coach each other through the crazy world of dating (on-line and off), while living under one roof again and raising a teenager. The comedy will be produced by Jason Reitman's Right of Way Films and will begin production this year. The Hulu Original series joins the recently announced order for 11/22/63, an event series based upon the best-selling Stephen King novel from J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot Productions. Casting for Casual has not been announced yet, so stay tuned...
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of Nov. 3-7, 2014, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVRs (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Sunday, November 2, 2014
- Kathy Kinney (The Drew Carey Show) - Kathy will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 9pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Watch Martin on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also discuss his book (I Must Say: My Life As A Humble Comedy Legend) on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel appears on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Roseanne Barr (Roseanne) - Roseanne is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie drops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Jon Cryer (Two and a Half Men) - Jon visits The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.
- Casey Wilson (Marry Me/Happy Endings) - Casey chats on The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.
- Sinbad (A Different World/The Sinbad Show) - Sinbad stops by Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Lisa Kudrow (The Comeback/Web Therapy/Friends) - Lisa will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly is part of the Plugged In panel on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Catch Martin on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. performs stand up on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) - Maya is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jim Gaffigan (My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Michael Ian Black (Burning Love/Ed) - Michael will be on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Kelly stops by and you won't want to miss what happens when Kelly tries to win cash for a "Wendy Watcher" in a game of "Ripa or Stripa" on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Kate Walsh (Bad Judge) - Kate appears on The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.
- Lamorne Morris (New Girl) - Lamorne visits The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.
- Joey McIntryre (The McCarthys) - Joey is a guest on Big Morning Buzz Live at 9am on VH1.
- David Walton (About a Boy/Bent/Perfect Couples) - David is a guest on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Sarah Hyland (Modern Family) - Sarah stops by The Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/One Day at a Time, Jane Leeves (Hot in Cleveland/Frasier and Wendie Malick (Hot in Cleveland/Just Shoot Me!) - The ladies of Hot in Cleveland are guests on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Betty appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Kirk Cameron (Growing Pains/Kirk) - Kirk will be on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Bette Midler (Bette) - Watch Bette chat and perform on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jim Gaffigan (My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Bob Newhart (The Bob Newhart Show/Newhart/Bob) - Bob appears on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) - Melissa drops by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/One Day at a Time, Jane Leeves (Hot in Cleveland/Frasier and Wendie Malick (Hot in Cleveland/Just Shoot Me!) - The ladies of Hot in Cleveland are guests on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. They also join the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Kristen Johnston (The Exes/3rd Rock from the Sun) - Kristen talks about The Exes on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Niecy Nash (The Soul Man/Getting On/Reno 911!) - Niecy talks about the new season of HBO's Getting On on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations. She will also be on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 8:50am.
- Donald Faison (The Exes/Scrubs) - Donald talks about his upcoming baby and his recent reunion with his Clueless co-stars on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Haley Joel Osment (Thunder Alley/The Jeff Foxworthy Show) - Haley Joel will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/The Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Sofia stops by Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Max Charles (The Neighbors) - Max discusses his starring role in the upcoming Hallmark Channel original movie Northpole on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Cynthia Nixon (Sex and the City) - Cynthia talks about The Real Thing on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Ellen DeGeneres (Ellen) - Ellen is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Whoopi Goldberg (Whoopi/Bagdad Cafe) - Catch Whoopi on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Beth Behrs (2 Broke Girls) - Watch Beth on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. She will also be on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Geena Davis (The Geena Davis Show/Buffalo Bill) - Geena stops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Andrea Martin (Working the Engels) - Andrea appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin continues to make the rounds on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (The Comeback/Web Therapy/Friends) - Lisa is a guest on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kristen Johnston (The Exes/3rd Rock from the Sun) - Kristen talks about the new season of TV Land's The Exes on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- David Walton (About a Boy/Bent/Perfect Couples) - David is a guest on Big Morning Buzz Live at 9am on VH1.
- Willie Garson (Sex and the City/Mr. Belvedere) - Willie talks about White Collar on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Tracy Pollan (Family Ties) - Tracy and her sister, Dana, discuss their new cookbook on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Anne-Marie Johnson (What's Happening Now!!) - Anne-Marie shares great holiday floral arrangements that can be reusable and even edible on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Bette Midler (Bette) - Bette performs on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Kate Walsh (Bad Judge) - Kate is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Cedric the Entertainer (The Soul Man/The Steve Harvey Show) - Cedric chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. He will also be on Fox & Friends on Fox News Channel at 7:29am. Finally, he is a guest on HuffPost Live at 4:30am.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe discusses her new role in Broadway's Cinderella on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Jennie Garth (Mystery Girls/What I Like About You) - Jennie will be on People Now.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (Community) - Watch Yvette on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation) - Amy is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Bette Midler (Bette) - Bette chats and performs on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Beth Behrs (2 Broke Girls) - Beth appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Damon Wayans Jr. (New Girl/Happy Endings) - Damon visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/One Day at a Time, Jane Leeves (Hot in Cleveland/Frasier and Wendie Malick (Hot in Cleveland/Just Shoot Me!) - The ladies of Hot in Cleveland dish about the hilarious new season of TV Land's Hot in Cleveland on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short) - Martin reveals secrets from his memoir including the truth behind his most famous characters and which A-list stars are part of his colonoscopy party on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Niecy Nash (The Soul Man/Getting On/Reno 911!) - Niecy joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Haley Joel Osment (Thunder Alley/The Jeff Foxworthy Show) - Haley Joel appears on Big Morning Buzz Live at 9am on VH1.
- Nick Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Nick performs on Big Morning Buzz Live at 9am on VH1.
- Marlon Wayans (The Wayans Bros.) - Marlon is tentatively scheduled to appear on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Tracy Pollan (Family Ties) - Tracy and her family stop by to serve up their signature pasta and salad on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Gregory Harrison (The Family Man) - Gregory discusses his starring role in the upcoming Hallmark Channel original movie The Nine Lives of Christmas on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tim Allen (Last Man Standing/Home Improvement) - Tim is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Lisa Kudrow (The Comeback/Web Therapy/Friends) - Lisa chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The College Years) - Mario appears on The Real on your local station or at 6pm on BET.
Thursday, October 30, 2014
Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Day Marathon, Plus More Classics; MeTV Pays Tribute to Marcia Strassman Tonight
This Thanksgiving, Antenna TV will air a 27-hour Dennis the Menace marathon beginning at Midnight ET. Antenna TV, which airs in 92 markets across the U.S. reaching 72% of TV households, will air 54 back-to-back episodes of Dennis the Menace. BUT wait, before that on Thanksgiving eve, Wednesday, Nov. 26 from 5p ET to Midnight, Antenna TV will run a cornucopia of Thanksgiving themed episodes of your favorite shows, including Bachelor Father, Father Knows Best, Mister Ed, Hazel, Bewitched, Too Close for Comfort, All in the Family, Good Times, Diff'rent Strokes, Barney Miller, Married...with Children, The Nanny and WKRP in Cincinnati's renowned "Turkey's Away" episode, followed by the aforementioned 27-hour Dennis the Menace marathon on Thanksgiving Day. So for 34 straight hours on Antenna TV beginning at 5pm on Nov. 26, we get two great stunts! Tune in!
The MeTV Network will pay tribute to the late Marcia Strassman tonight. As a tribute to the late actress Marcia Strassman, Thursday's episodes of Welcome Back, Kotter on MeTV Network have been changed to ones centered around her character, Julie Kotter. At 10:00pm ET/PT the episode "I'm Having Their Baby" will air then at 10:30pm ET/PT the episode "Horshack and the Madame X" will air. On the first episode, while Gabe is out of town at a teacher's convention, the Sweathogs try to cheer Julie up from her prenatal depression. And on the second episode, Horshack falls in love with Julie when she consoles him after he's rejected.
Wednesday, October 29, 2014
CBS Fall Pilot Review: The McCarthys - Premieres Thursday, Oct. 30; TBS Orders Comedy Pilot from Daily Show Producers
The McCarthys - Thursdays at 9:30PM ET/PT on CBS
Premieres Thursday, October 30, 2014 at 9:30PM ET/PT
The McCarthys is a multi-camera comedy about a close-knit, sports-crazed Boston family whose somewhat athletically challenged son, Ronny, is chosen by his father to be his assistant high school basketball coach, much to the surprise of his more qualified siblings. Ronny wants nothing more than to move away, join the singles scene and find a partner. His distraught mother, Marjorie is not upset that her favorite son is gay, but that he wants to leave Boston and his family. Ronny's plans change, however, when his politically incorrect and outspoken father, Arthur stuns everyone with his choice for an assistant. Touched by his father's offer, Ronny embarks on a completely different future – and he can be sure that his loving family, including his twin brothers Sean and Gerard and his sister Jackie, are going to have a very vocal opinion about it.
Joey McIntyre as Gerard McCarthy
Jimmy Dunn as Sean McCarthy
Kelen Coleman as Jackie McCarthy
Jack McGee as Arthur McCarthy
Laurie Metcalf as Marjorie McCarthy
Tyler Ritter (Ronny) is the son of comedy legend John Ritter and is a Los Angeles native who made his acting debut in 1994 on the PBS show Storytime. After performing in various student films and plays throughout high school and college, he left Hollywood to become a teacher in Argentina. Three years later, he married Argentinian director Lelia Parma and moved back home to California to continue his career as an actor. Ritter's television credits include guest-starring roles in Modern Family and Grey's Anatomy. He appeared in the feature films Good Dick and the upcoming Christmas in Balsam Falls, due out in Dec. 2014.
Joey McIntyre (Gerard) is best known for his work as a member of New Kids on the Block. Together for more than 20 years, the band continues to perform in venues around the world. McIntyre he has released six CDs as a solo artist. McIntyre has made a name for himself in TV and film, as well, starting out with a 17-episode arc in Boston Public. Additional television credits include CSI: NY and Psych. On the big screen he appeared opposite Josh Duhamel in Garry Marshall's New Year's Eve and The Heat.
Jimmy Dunn (Sean) is one of America's hottest stand-up comedians, performing at top venues across the U.S., including New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Atlantic City and his hometown, Boston. He was a featured performer at last summer's Montreal "Just For Laughs" Comedy Festival. Dunn's television credits include Jimmy Kimmel Live! as the Boston Correspondent for the historic Red Sox-Yankees series. He has also appeared on Comedy Central, CMT and New England Sports Network (NESN), where he hosted the shows Fan Attic and Sox Appeal. His feature film credits include Stuck on You and Mint Condition.
Kelen Coleman (Jackie) is most recognizable for her recurring roles in The Newsroom, The Office and The Mindy Project. Additional television credits include guest-starring roles in Men at Work and Hart of Dixie. She recently finished shooting two independent films, Flock Of Dudes and The Night is Young, and is working on a film with Kal Penn and Abby Elliott in New York City in summer 2014.
Jack McGee (Arthur) made his acting debut in the 1985 feature film, Turk 182. On television, he starred as Chief Jerry Reilly in the firefighter drama, Rescue Me. Additional television credits include Hawaii Five-0, CSI: NY, CSI: Miami, Criminal Minds, all for CBS, Common Law, Up All Night, Players, Drop Dead Diva, Rizzoli & Isles and Castle. McGee's additional feature film credits include the critically acclaimed The Fighter, opposite Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale and Melissa Leo, Moneyball, Gangster Squad, New Year's Eve, The International, Drive Angry and 21, among many others.
Laurie Metcalf (Marjorie) is a versatile actress who has appeared on television, in film and on Broadway. Currently, she recurs as Sheldon Cooper's mother, Mary Cooper, on the hit comedy The Big Bang Theory and stars in the series Getting On. Metcalf won three Emmy Awards for her role as Jackie Harris on Roseanne, which aired for nine seasons. Additional television credits include guest-starring appearances in Norm, Frasier, Monk, Desperate Housewives, and many others. Her feature film credits include Leaving Las Vegas, JFK, Internal Affairs, Uncle Buck, Desperately Seeking Susan, Making Mr. Right, Scream 2, Toy Story and Bulworth.
"Pilot" (airs Thursday, October 30 at 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Ronny considers moving away from his close-knit, sports-crazed family, his father surprises everyone when he offers him a job as his assistant basketball coach. Written by Brian Gallivan. Directed by Andy Ackerman. Guest starring Ken Howard, Miguel Najera, Jeff Hiller, Gregory Smith, Rayna Tharani, Bill Parks, Jon Barinholtz and Noelle Messier.
This is a new family sitcom about grown-up children and it's funny. The McCarthy family is Irish and live in Boston and they are really close...the children live in different houses but they're on the same street. They are your typical Boston family and love sports, Dunkin Donuts and beer. The youngest son, Ronny (played by Tyler Ritter), is the most different one of the bunch. He is gay and doesn't know a thing about sports. He relates more to his mother and loves The Good Wife and Kyra Sedgwick from The Closer. Ritter is the youngest son of the legendary John Ritter and his mannerisms and style are spot on to John's. He looks exactly how John did on Three's Company as Jack Tripper, except on this show Ronny is actually gay and Jack was pretending to be gay.
The basic premise of the pilot is that Ronny is thinking about moving to Providence to find himself and to start his life. The family doesn't want that to happen and is persuading him to stay. That causes a lot of fun. The mother, played by Laurie Metcalf, is very funny. She has one-liners that will make you hoot. The rest of the family it will take an episode or two after the pilot to get used to. Right now the draws of the show are Ritter and Meltcalf. However, once this show is a few episodes in, this will be a great family to watch. The twins, who look nothing alike, will bounce off each other well. The father is your typical Irish father, but he has a lot of heart it seems. And Ronny's brother Gerard and sister Jackie have a bit more o play with in the pilot than the twins, especially Jackie, who reveals a secret at the end of the pilot. And the reveal is revealed hysterically.
Final Numbers (out of 5 stars):
Discuss the show after you watch it on Thursday, October 30, 2014 at 9:30PM ET/PT on our message board.
TBS has ordered a new scripted comedy pilot from The Daily Show's Jason Jones & Samantha Bee. Jason Jones is set to star in the pilot, which is inspired by his and Samantha Bee's own experiences with family getaways. The pilot is being produced by TBS, with a script by Jones and Bee. The comedy series will follow a family as they take a road trip to Key West. Jason Jones is set to play hopeful dad Nate, who hops in the car with his wife and two young kids for a 24-hour adventure to the Keys. This comedy will prove that no matter how much close proximity can lead a family to get on each other's nerves, precarious situations and interactions with strangers can bring them together again. Should this project get a series greenlight, plans call for each season of the show to chronicle a different trip.
Tuesday, October 28, 2014
TV Land's Frightfully Funny Roseanne Halloween Marathon; CBS Picks Up Full Seasons of All New Dramas
Trick or TV Treat? It isn't Halloween until Roseanne says so! Prepare for screaming and scheming this Halloween as one of TV's favorite families, The Conners, share their top Halloween tricks and treats! TV Land will honor these notorious tricksters with a full-day marathon event that highlights Roseanne's Halloween episodes, leaving viewers cackling on on Thursday, October 30 from 2:00 AM- 5:00 AM ET/PT and Friday, October 31 8:00 PM- 11:00 PM ET/PT! The marathon event will kick off with the iconic prank-filled Halloween episode, "BOO!", and continues through each Conner family Halloween tradition ever created, including the classic lumberjack costume; the "Trick Me Up, Trick Me Down" episode featuring guest star George Clooney; Roseanne's visit from the ghosts of Halloween past, present and future; a spoof of "Rosemary's Baby" and finally, Roseanne's last Halloween that brings Jerry Garcia Conner into the world. And don't forget to tune in on Thursday, October 30 from 2:00 AM- 5:00 AM ET/PT and Friday, October 31 8:00 PM- 11:00 PM ET/PT! Don't miss this spooktacular event, only on TV Land!
CBS has given full season orders to all four of its new dramas, including NCIS: New Orleans and Scorpion, along with the Tea Lenoi drama Madam Secretary, and the time period-winning suspense thriller Stalker. These pick-ups include three of the top four new shows launched on television this season in total viewers, and three series that rank among the top 15 of all prime time programs in total viewers. The four freshman dramas, along with the Network's returning hit series and NFL Thursday Night Football, have helped CBS win the first four weeks of the season for the sixth consecutive year among total viewers, with growth of +5% over the comparable period a year ago. NCIS: New Orleans airs Tuesdays at 9, while Scorpion anchors Mondays at 9pm. Madam Secretary airs in the Sunday 8pm timeslot and Stalker rounds out Wednesdays at 10pm.
Monday, October 27, 2014
After four airings, ABC has canceled new comedy Manhattan Love Story due to low live+same day ratings and bad DVR returns. The Tuesday series starring Analeigh Tipton and Jake McDorman had been airing at 8:30pm following fellow new comedy Selfie. ABC had already planned to preempt both Selfie and Love Story this coming Tuesday for the Halloween special The Great Halloween Fright Fight. The following Tuesday (Nov. 4), ABC will air two brand new episodes of Selfie at 8 & 8:30pm. ABC has not announced yet what will fill Love Story's timeslot come Nov. 11, but it could be a mix of new and repeats of Selfie until further notice. It is unclear how many Love Story episodes have been produced to-date, but 13 episodes were ordered and will not be completed, obviously. At least 7 have been produced as far as we know, so at least three episodes are available to burn-off should ABC ever air it again. Stay with us for continued updates.
Actress Marcia Strassman, who was best known for her role as Julie Kotter in Welcome Back, Kotter, has died. She died on October 24 of breast cancer at her home in Sherman Oaks, California. Ms. Strassman was 66.
Strassman's early television guest appearances included The Patty Duke Show and Ironside. She had a recurring role as Nurse Margie Cutler in six episodes of the first season of M*A*S*H in 1972-1973. Other guest appearances in the early 1970s included Love Story, Police Story, Marcus Welby, M.D. and City of Angels.
She landed the breakout role of Julie Kotter, Gabe Kotter's (Gabe Kaplan) wife, in Welcome Back, Kotter in 1975. The popular ABC sitcom ran for four seasons and 95 episodes from 1975-1979. It also starred John Travolta, Robert Hegyes, Lawrence-Hilton Jacobs, Ron Palillo and John Sylvester White. Julie and Gabe had twin girls Rachel and Robin in the third season. She worked as a secretary and later as a substitute teacher at Buchanan High after Gabe was promoted to vice-principal. Strassman was interviewed in the Truth Behind the Sitcom Scandals 5 and the E! True Hollywood Story on Welcome Back, Kotter in 2000.
Her other starring roles included the short-lived NBC sitcom Good Time Harry in 1980. She played a reporter named Carol Younger in the series which starred Ted Bessell and Eugene Roche. She co-starred as Alicia Rudd, Dennis Booker's (Richard Grieco) boss, in the 21 Jump Street spin-off series Booker on Fox in 1989-1990. She appeared as the mom Martine Beznick in the 2000-2001 Nickelodeon sitcom Noah Knows Best. In 2003, she starred as Nancy Sterngood in the Sci-Fi Channel series Tremors.
Some of her other sitcom guest appearances included The Love Boat, At Ease, E/R, I Married Dora, Phenom, Odd Man Out and Twenty Good Years. Her television drama appearances included Fantasy Island, Time Express, The Rockford Files, Magnum, P.I., Shadow Chasers, Stingray, Amazing Stories, Civil Wars, Sweet Justice, Touched by an Angel, Murder, She Wrote, Highlander, L.A. Heat and Baywatch. She had a recurring role as Meredith in Providence in 2001-2002. In 2004, she had a recurring role as Sergeant Laura Wynn in four episodes of Third Watch.
She was also well known for her role as Diane Szalinski in the the 1989 feature film Honey, I Shrunk the Kids; its 1992 sequel Honey, I Blew Up the Kid; and the 1994 3-D film spin-off Honey, I Shrunk the Audience!, which was shown at several Disney theme parks through mid-2010.
We also remember actress and comedian Jan Hooks. She was best known for her work on Saturday Night Live for five seasons and her starring role on the final two seasons of Designing Women. She died on October 9 of cancer at her home in Woodstock, New York. Ms. Hooks was 57.
Hooks joined the cast of Saturday Night Live in 1986. One of her best known characters was Candy Sweeney of "The Sweeney Sisters." Her sister Liz was played by Nora Dunn. Hooks' notable impressions included Bette Davis, Ann-Margret, Betty Ford, Nancy Reagan, Sinéad O'Connor, Jodie Foster, Tammy Faye Bakker, Kathie Lee Gifford, Kitty Dukakis, Diane Sawyer and Hillary Rodham Clinton. She continued to make cameo appearances on the show until 1994.
She left Saturday Night Live after five seasons in 1991 to join the cast of Designing Women. Creator Linda Bloodworth-Thomason had asked her to join the series after Jean Smart left. Hooks starred as Carlene Dobbler in the final two seasons of the show from 1991-1993. Carlene was Charlene's (Jean Smart) dim-witted, newly divorced younger sister.
She had a recurring role as Victoria Marie "Vicki" Dubcek, the daughter of Ms. Dubcek (Elmarie Wendel) and Harry's (French Stewart) on-and-off girlfriend, in 3rd Rock from the Sun from 1996-2000. Hooks received an Emmy nomination for "Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series" for the role in 1998. She provided the voice of Manjula Nahasapeemapetilon in The Simpsons in six episodes from 1997-2002. Her final television appearances were two episodes of 30 Rock in 2010 as Verna Maroney, the mother of Jenna Maroney (Jane Krakowski).
Some of her other television roles and appearances included Not Necessarily the News, Dear John, The Martin Short Show, The Dana Carvey Show, Hiller and Diller, Providence, Futurama (voice), Primetime Glick and Game Over (voice). Her film credits included Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Wildcats, Batman Returns, Coneheads, Simon Birch and Jiminy Glick in Lalawood.
We thank these talented and funny women for the laughs they brought us over the years. They will be deeply missed.
Sunday, October 26, 2014
Total Viewers: #1. CBS 13.38 million (+5% from first four nights week 4); #2. Fox 9.74 million (+142%); #3. ABC 8.06 million (+2%); #4. NBC 7.69 million (-6%); #5. The CW 1.92 million (-6%).
Adults 18-49: #1. CBS 3.3/10 rating/share (+10% in rating from first four nights week 4); #2. Fox 2.7/8 (+108%); #3. ABC 2.0/6 (even); #4. NBC 2.0/6 (-9%) #5. The CW 0.8/2 (even)
We have the final ratings for Week 4 (10/13/14-10/19/14). Among Adults 18-49, NBC won the week again with a 2.6 rating thanks to the NFL, followed by ABC's 2.1, CBS's 2.1 and Fox's 1.6. For Total Viewers, CBS was on top with 10.5 million, followed by NBC's 8.9. ABC was next with 7.93 million and Fox trailed with 4.65 million.
For season to-date (9/22/14-10/19/14), among Adults 18-49 we have NBC on top with a 3.0 rating, followed by CBS with a 2.6, ABC with a 2.4 and Fox with a 2.0. In Total Viewers, it is CBS on top with 11.94 million, then NBC with 9.91 million, ABC is next with 8.67 million and Fox with 5.42 million.
Back to week 5 (Oct. 20-26), read our full night-by-night analysis followed by how the sitcoms did! GREAT showings are in BOLD. If they are in bold in both total viewers and 18-49, then it is very impressive:
|Week 5 (Oct. 20-26) Analysis|
|Last Sunday (Oct. 19)||(Week 4)||This Wk||Prev Week||Wk-to-Wk +/-||This Wk||Prev Week||Wk-to-Wk +/-|
|Title||Network||Time||Total Viewers||18-49 Rtg||Notes|
|America's Funniest Home Videos||ABC||7:00PM||5,261,000||5,463,000||(202,000)||1.08||1.16||(0.08)|
|Football Night in America||NBC||7:30PM||6,048,000||4,322,000||1,726,000||2.01||1.41||0.60|
|Once Upon a Time||ABC||8:00PM||8,070,000||7,923,000||147,000||2.72||2.68||0.04|
|Football Night in America||NBC||8:00PM||12,605,000||11,422,000||1,183,000||4.05||4.00||0.05|
|Sunday Night Football||NBC||8:30PM||23,792,000||18,088,000||5,704,000||8.22||6.58||1.64|
|The Good Wife||CBS||9:00PM||10,882,000||10,392,000||490,000||1.42||1.28||0.14|
|Family Guy||Fox||9:00PM||4,739,000||3,416,000||1,323,000||2.49||1.70||0.79||vs. REPEAT|
|Monday||This Wk||Prev Week||Wk-to-Wk +/-||This Wk||Prev Week||Wk-to-Wk +/-|
|Title||Network||Time||Total Viewers||18-49 Rtg||Notes|
|The Big Bang Theory||CBS||8:00PM||16,017,000||15,321,000||696,000||4.58||4.49||0.09|
|Dancing with the Stars||ABC||8:00PM||12,584,000||12,739,000||(155,000)||1.99||1.98||0.01|
|The Millers||CBS||8:30PM||8,926,000||11,377,000||(2,451,000)||2.11||2.77||(0.66)||premiere vs. Big Bang (R)|
|Jane the Virgin||CW||9:00PM||1,362,000||1,605,000||(243,000)||0.49||0.58||(0.09)|
|Tuesday||This Wk||Prev Week||Wk-to-Wk +/-||This Wk||Prev Week||Wk-to-Wk +/-|
|Title||Network||Time||Total Viewers||18-49 Rtg||Notes|
|Fox World Series||Fox||8:00PM||12,191,000||12,191,000||3.38||3.38||8-11P|
|Manhattan Love Story||ABC||8:30PM||2,617,000||2,868,000||(251,000)||0.74||0.90||(0.16)|
|NCIS: New Orleans||CBS||9:00PM||16,130,000||16,141,000||(11,000)||2.39||2.22||0.17|
|Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.||ABC||9:00PM||4,359,000||4,704,000||(345,000)||1.56||1.66||(0.10)|
|About A Boy||NBC||9:30PM||4,631,000||5,826,000||(1,195,000)||1.38||1.69||(0.31)|
|Person of Interest||CBS||10:00PM||9,397,000||9,717,000||(320,000)||1.54||1.53||0.01|
|Wednesday||This Wk||Prev Week||Wk-to-Wk +/-||This Wk||Prev Week||Wk-to-Wk +/-|
|Title||Network||Time||Total Viewers||18-49 Rtg||Notes|
|The Middle||ABC||8:00PM||7,292,000||6,183,000||1,109,000||2.05||1.85||0.20||vs. Toy Story of Terror|
|Mysteries of Laura||NBC||8:00PM||8,248,000||8,675,000||(427,000)||1.34||1.38||(0.04)|
|Fox World Series||Fox||8:00PM||12,917,000||12,917,000||3.40||3.40||8-11P|
|The Goldbergs||ABC||8:30PM||7,053,000||6,237,000||816,000||2.27||2.16||0.11||vs. Charlie Brown|
|Law & Order: SVU||NBC||9:00PM||7,188,000||7,157,000||31,000||1.58||1.70||(0.12)|
|Red Band Society||Fox||9:00PM||3,165,000||(3,165,000)||0.96||(0.96)|
|The 100||CW||9:00PM||1,539,000||1,670,000||(131,000)||0.50||0.51||(0.01)||premiere vs. Flash (R)|
|Thursday||This Wk||Prev Week||Wk-to-Wk +/-||This Wk||Prev Week||Wk-to-Wk +/-|
|Title||Network||Time||Total Viewers||18-49 Rtg||Notes|
|NFL Thurs Kick-off||CBS||8:00PM||12,191,000||9,232,000||2,959,000||3.43||2.72||0.71|
|The Biggest Loser||NBC||8:00PM||4,577,000||4,665,000||(88,000)||1.15||1.28||(0.13)|
|Thursday Night Football||CBS||8:30PM||20,216,000||16,094,000||4,122,000||6.68||5.36||1.32|
|A to Z||NBC||9:30PM||3,133,000||3,372,000||(239,000)||0.88||1.00||(0.12)|
|How To Get Away w/Murder||ABC||10:00PM||9,967,000||9,790,000||177,000||3.01||2.76||0.25|
|Friday||(PRELIMINARY #s)||This Wk||Prev Week||Wk-to-Wk +/-||This Wk||Prev Week||Wk-to-Wk +/-|
|Title||Network||Time||Total Viewers||18-49 Rtg||Notes|
|The Amazing Race||CBS||8:00PM||5,549,000||6,567,000||(1,018,000)||1.00||1.41||(0.41)|
|Last Man Standing||ABC||8:00PM||6,258,000||6,790,000||(532,000)||1.10||1.27||(0.17)|
|Fox World Series||Fox||8:00PM||9,915,000||9,915,000||2.50||2.50||8-11P|
|Jane the Virgin||CW||8:00PM||891,000||1,249,000||(358,000)||0.30||0.28||0.02||REPEAT|
|About A Boy||NBC||8:30PM||2,366,000||(2,366,000)||0.60||(0.60)|
|America's Next Top Model||CW||9:00PM||1,078,000||1,063,000||15,000||0.30||0.32||(0.02)|
|Saturday||(PRELIMINARY #s)||This Wk||Prev Week||Wk-to-Wk +/-||This Wk||Prev Week||Wk-to-Wk +/-|
|Title||Network||Time||Total Viewers||18-49 Rtg||Notes|
|Fox World Series||Fox||7:35PM||9,772,000||9,772,000||2.30||2.30|
|Saturday Night Football||ABC||8:00PM||4,126,000||13,251,000||(9,125,000)||1.10||4.15||(3.05)|
|Mysteries of Laura||NBC||8:00PM||2,137,000||2,405,000||(268,000)||0.30||0.47||(0.17)||REPEAT|
|48 Hours Mystery||CBS||9:00PM||3,908,000||3,705,000||203,000||0.60||0.55||0.05||vs. Crimetime|
|Constatine||NBC||9:00PM||1,583,000||2,290,000||(707,000)||0.40||0.46||(0.06)||REPEAT vs. SVU(R)|
|48 Hours Mystery||CBS||10:00PM||5,000,000||4,683,000||317,000||0.70||0.82||(0.12)|
Sitcoms in green did excellent for the week, while yellow indicates OK showings and red is not good! This is sorted by adults 18-49:
|Week 5 (Oct. 20-26) How the Sitcoms Did|
|(Sun comedies are previous week and Fri/Sat are prelim ratings)|
|Sorted by 18-49 Rtg|
|Title||Network||Time||Day||Total Viewers||18-49 Rtg||Notes|
|The Big Bang Theory||CBS||8:00PM||Mon||16,017,000||4.58|
|About a Boy||NBC||9:30PM||Tue||4,631,000||1.38|
|Last Man Standing||ABC||8:00PM||Fri||6,258,000||1.1|
|A to Z||NBC||9:30PM||Thu||3,133,000||0.88|
|Manhattan Love Story||ABC||8:30PM||Tue||2,617,000||0.74||canceled|
|The Mindy Project||Fox||9:30PM||Tue||preempted|
|About a Boy||NBC||8:30PM||Fri||preempted|
|2 Broke Girls||CBS||8:00PM||Mon||premieres 10/27|
|Two and a Half Men||CBS||9:00PM||Thu||premieres 10/30|
|The McCarthys||CBS||9:30PM||Thu||premieres 10/30|
SOURCE: Nielsen Media Research
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, February 22
The Goldbergs - "So Swayze It's Crazy" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Adam sees his friend on television, he asks Beverly for her help to become an actor, so Beverly enlists his friend’s mom Edie, who is a kid talent agent in town. Unfortunately, Edie insists Adam can only get “nerd” roles, so Beverly goes on a quest to make Adam a teenage heartthrob. Meanwhile, Barry decides to embrace the punk lifestyle, and Murray attempts to become more involved in Erica’s life, but it backfires.
Speechless - "O-S-- OSCAR P-A-- PARTY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the Dimeos throw their annual Oscar party with other special-needs families, Maya feels threatened by new mom Becca, who seems a little too perfect. Meanwhile, Jimmy encourages the fathers at the party to let loose while Ray tries to impress a girl by pretending to be someone he is not.
Modern Family - "Heavy Is the Head" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Despite their lofty hopes, Phil and Jay’s property investment might turn out to be a bust, forcing Phil to rethink his original dream. Meanwhile, Cam lands in the hospital due to a head injury and refuses to have an MRI thanks to a traumatic incident with a well when he was a child. Determined to finally impress Claire and keep her from re-gifting her birthday present, Gloria surprises her with a day of luxury at the office. However, after Claire had to implement some rather harsh budget cuts at work, a massage at her desk may not be sending the right message.
black-ish - "One Angry Man" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre is forced to participate in jury duty after Junior responds to the summons that was thrown away. The case is supposed to be open and shut, but when Dre sees that the defendant is a young African American, he feels a civic responsibility to give him a fair trial. Meanwhile, Bow decides to let the kids swear in the house since they are more open with her that way, but she and Ruby soon regret the decision.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Tends Bar" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It's Valentine's Day and Paddy's is packed with customers. Dennis implores the gang to do one day of actual work but everyone else is distracted by a mystery crate Cricket spotted in the alley. Eventually, the gang becomes convinced Dennis really wants them to work on their relationships and everyone shares their grievances without much resolution.
Man Seeking Woman - "Dolphin" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
When her mom becomes obsessed with Josh's wedding, Liz seeks out her estranged father (Peter Gallagher).
Schitt's Creek - "General Store" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
David comes up with a new business venture; Alexis adjusts to her first day of school.
Wednesday, February 22
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and George Clooney (The Facts of Life/Roseanne) - Tom and George are guests on a repeat of the 2012 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ariana Grande (Sam & Cat) - Ariana drops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Kelly is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly)- Billy appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Ultimate Beastmaster on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2pm.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Matt Shively (The Real O'Neals/True Jackson, VP) - Matt is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Justin Bartha (The New Normal) - Justin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Will talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette dishes about the new season of SuperMansion on Crackle on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Mike Epps (Uncle Buck/Survivor's Remorse) - Mike is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Eva Longoria (Telenovela) - Eva chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.