Saturday, June 28, 2014
- Diane Sawyer is set to step down from her role as anchor of ABC World News in September, which marks yet another of the now frequent changes in the network nightly news hosts. (Washington Post)
- It looks like Whoopi Goldberg will be the only one who is taking a little time to enjoy The View in the fall, as Jenny McCarthy and Sherri Shepherd announced that they will not be be part of the new season of the series. (New York Times)
- Most of us won't be seeing him actually doing it (since it isn't televised), but Terry Crews becomes the latest person to get the honors of hosting a television awards ceremony, as he hosts this years Television Critics Association Awards ceremony, set to take place July 19. Who knows, maybe we'll see him on one of the more publicized ceremonies in the future. (Variety)
- A recent study by researchers at the University of Michigan found that those who view sitcoms have a very cynical view on love or romance compared to those who watch reality dating shows... but don't blame us for your love life. (Huffington Post)
- TBS will be celebrating the 25th anniversary of Seinfeld next week, with the 25 best episodes of the series. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- This year seems to continue the tradition of releasing huge box sets of popular shows that never quite made it to DVD before, and one of the big ones we're all awaiting (though cautiously) is WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series. There are many unanswered questions about this release, but perhaps the biggest of those questions is regarding the original music. Series creator Hugh Wilson states in a recent interview that about 85% of the original music has been cleared for the release. That sounds promising (though we unfortunately don't expect 100% clearance), and we'll keep you updated as we learn more.
- American Dad! - Volume 9 is coming to DVD as a MOD release on Tuesday, but we don't really know much about it yet. There isn't even a pre-order link at amazon.com. But fans should look for it on Tuesday.
- Releases for special single disc releases of The Dick Van Dyke Show are on the way, including The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Halloween Episodes on September 2, and The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes on October 9.
- The short-lived Nickelodeon series My Brother and Me is now available on DVD as a MOD release.
JULY 1 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- American Dad! - Volume 9 (DVD): Although we don't quite have all of the details for this release (including a link to order or even a list price), Fox announced that this set will arrive on DVD as a MOD release.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, October 27
The Big Bang Theory - "The Fetal Kick Catalyst" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Penny is surprised to learn she has fans of her performance in “Serial Ape-ist” when she attends Van Nuys Comic Con with Leonard. Also, Amy hosts a Sheldon-style brunch at Penny’s apartment, and Wolowitz makes an impulsive purchase when he starts stressing out about the baby on the way.
The Great Indoors - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Joel McHale stars as Jack, a renowned adventure reporter for an outdoor magazine who must adapt to the times when he becomes the new desk-bound boss to a group of millennials in the digital department of the publication.
Mom - "High-Tops and Brown Jacket" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bonnie and Adam’s relationship is tested when he moves in with her and Christy for a few weeks. Also, Christy learns the hard way that it may be a mistake to try and meet men with Jill.
Life in Pieces - "Annulled Roommate Pill Shower" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Heather and Tim enlist Clementine’s unusual parents, Mary-Lynn (Megan Mullally) and Spencer (Nick Offerman), to help convince Clementine and Tyler to annul their unexpected marriage. Also, Tommy moves in with Colleen, to the chagrin of her roommate, Dougie (Fortune Feimster); John and Joan run into “complications” after John takes the wrong dose of his daily pill; and Jen and Greg keep a secret from the family.
Superstore - "Halloween Theft" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Dina (Lauren Ash) throws a wrench in everyone's Halloween plans when something goes missing from the store and declares that no employee can leave until someone confesses to stealing. Amy (America Ferrera) is determined to find out who is responsible because she doesn't want to miss trick-or-treating with her daughter and Mateo (Nico Santos) prepares for his secret date with Jeff (recurring guest star Michael Bunin). Meanwhile, Jonah (Ben Feldman) and Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) struggle to bond until they discover they have more in common than they thought. Garrett (Colton Dunn) has a difficult time defending himself during the store-wide investigation.
The Good Place - "Most Improved Player" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Michael (Ted Danson) has a private meeting with Eleanor (Kristen Bell). Meanwhile, Chidi (William Jackson Harper), who has been harboring a secret, contemplates what to do.
Better Things - "Scary Fun" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Sam makes a point.
Thursday, October 27
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Catch Martin on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Mary-Louise Parker (Weeds) - Mary-Louise visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- January Jones (The Last Man on Earth) - January appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Lauren Lapkus (Clipped/Are You There, Chelsea?) - Lauren is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) - Abbi visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on Chelsea on Netflix. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today in the 10am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2:30pm.
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family/Charlie Lawrence/Encore! Encore!), John Goodman (Roseanne/Normal, Ohio) and John Slattery (Maggie) - They talk about Broadway's The Front Page on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Joel guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana) - Miley is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Eva Longoria (Telenovela) - Eva appears on The Wendy Williams Show, so check your local listings.
- Angelique Cabral (Life in Pieces/Enlisted) - Angelique talks about Life in Pieces on the AOL Build Show at 11am.