Saturday, June 28, 2014
- Diane Sawyer is set to step down from her role as anchor of ABC World News in September, which marks yet another of the now frequent changes in the network nightly news hosts. (Washington Post)
- It looks like Whoopi Goldberg will be the only one who is taking a little time to enjoy The View in the fall, as Jenny McCarthy and Sherri Shepherd announced that they will not be be part of the new season of the series. (New York Times)
- Most of us won't be seeing him actually doing it (since it isn't televised), but Terry Crews becomes the latest person to get the honors of hosting a television awards ceremony, as he hosts this years Television Critics Association Awards ceremony, set to take place July 19. Who knows, maybe we'll see him on one of the more publicized ceremonies in the future. (Variety)
- A recent study by researchers at the University of Michigan found that those who view sitcoms have a very cynical view on love or romance compared to those who watch reality dating shows... but don't blame us for your love life. (Huffington Post)
- TBS will be celebrating the 25th anniversary of Seinfeld next week, with the 25 best episodes of the series. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- This year seems to continue the tradition of releasing huge box sets of popular shows that never quite made it to DVD before, and one of the big ones we're all awaiting (though cautiously) is WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series. There are many unanswered questions about this release, but perhaps the biggest of those questions is regarding the original music. Series creator Hugh Wilson states in a recent interview that about 85% of the original music has been cleared for the release. That sounds promising (though we unfortunately don't expect 100% clearance), and we'll keep you updated as we learn more.
- American Dad! - Volume 9 is coming to DVD as a MOD release on Tuesday, but we don't really know much about it yet. There isn't even a pre-order link at amazon.com. But fans should look for it on Tuesday.
- Releases for special single disc releases of The Dick Van Dyke Show are on the way, including The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Halloween Episodes on September 2, and The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes on October 9.
- The short-lived Nickelodeon series My Brother and Me is now available on DVD as a MOD release.
JULY 1 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- American Dad! - Volume 9 (DVD): Although we don't quite have all of the details for this release (including a link to order or even a list price), Fox announced that this set will arrive on DVD as a MOD release.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.