Wednesday, September 18, 2013
The Munsters and The Addams Family Return Again to Boomerang in October; CBS.com Presents a Pre-Premiere of We Are Men
Based on Charles Addams' New Yorker comics, The Addams Family featured a much more well-to-do family of creepy characters that generally stayed within their eerie yet palatial mansion. Also shot in black-and-white and immortalized by a catchy, snappy theme-song, The Addams Family starred John Astin as Gomez Addams; Carolyn Jones as his wife, Morticia; Jackie Coogan as Uncle Fester; Ted Cassidy as the butler, Lurch; Blossom Rock as Grandmama Addams; and Lisa Loring and Ken Weatherwax, respectively, as the Addams' children, Wednesday and Pugsley. The series' humor derives from a culture clash with the rest of the world - the Addams treat normal visitors (often arriving with evil intentions) with great warmth and courtesy, but are puzzled by the horrified reactions to their "ordinary" behavior and tastes. The Addams Family premiered on ABC Television on Sept. 18, 1964, and presented 64 episodes that concluded on April 8, 1966. The live-action sitcom will air weekdays at 2:30pm ET/PT and 12am ET/PT starting Monday, October 7. In the animated series, the Addams are not your typical family: they take delight in most of the things that "normal" people would be terrified of. Gomez Adams is an extremely wealthy man, and is able to indulge his wife Morticia's every desire - be it cultivation of poisonous plants, or a candlelit dinner in a graveyard. People visiting the Addams family just don't seem to appreciate the 7 foot tall butler "Lurch" or the helping hand (which is just a disembodied hand" named "Thing"). The animated The Addams Family will air also starting Monday, October 7, weekdays at 12:30pm & 1:00pm ET/PT, along with weekends from 12-1pm and 11pm-12am ET/PT. Remember all of these specials series are for October 2013 only and then these shows will be off the line-up in November. So tune in!
CBS.com is offering audiences a first-look at the premiere episode of We Are Men on CBS.com, the CBS App, and select CBS Audience Network sites. The new single-camera comedy makes its official debut on the CBS Television Network on Monday, Sept. 30 at 8:30PM ET/PT. During the television premiere on Sept. 30, fans can also chat live with many members of the We Are Men cast as part of this fall's CBS Tweet Week. During the broadcast in the Eastern and Central time zones, We Are Men stars Tony Shalhoub, Kal Penn and Chris Smith will be tweeting live and taking fan questions. Fans can join the conversation by following #CBSTweetWeek on Twitter or the stars' personal accounts: @SmithChris, @KalPenn and Tony Shalhoub via @WeAreMenCBS. We'll have a review of the comedy closer to the premiere. The series is about four single guys living in a short-term apartment complex who unexpectedly find camaraderie over their many missteps in love. Carter (Chris Smith), the youngest and most recent addition to the group, moved in after being ditched at the altar mid-ceremony, and is now eager to re-enter the dating scene and get on with his life with some guidance from his "band of brothers": Frank Russo, a middle-aged clothing manufacturer and four-time divorcée who still fancies himself a ladies man (Golden Globe and multiple Emmy Award winner Tony Shalhoub); Gil Bartis, a small business owner who was caught having the world's worst affair (Kal Penn); and Stuart Weber, a Speedo-wearing OB/GYN who's hiding his assets until his second divorce is settled (Jerry O'Connell); along with Abby, Frank's charming and attractive daughter, who stands as the one positive remnant from his failed relationships (Rebecca Breeds). Armed with a hot tub, poolside barbeque and plenty of questionable advice, these losers in the marriage department take Carter under their wing to impart their own brand of wisdom about the opposite sex.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.