Thursday, June 27, 2013
Nickelodeon is "Making Our Dreams Come True!" Beloved classic sitcom duo Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams (Laverne & Shirley) will reunite on screen in a scripted series for the first time in over 30 years with their upcoming guest appearance on Nickelodeon's fellow buddy sitcom Sam & Cat. Marshall and Williams will appear alongside Sam & Cat's funny gals Jennette McCurdy and Ariana Grande in "#SalmonCat," taping this week in Los Angeles. In the episode, Sam and Cat are ordered to rename their babysitting business because it's too similar to Salmon Cat, a TV show from the '70s. Sam and Cat must track down the show's two original creators (played by Marshall and Williams) and resolve their three decade-long feud. Sam & Cat, currently Nickelodeon's number-one live-action series, drew over 4.2 million viewers with its series premiere making it the network's biggest live-action debut in three years. The series airs regularly Saturdays at 8:00 p.m. (ET/PT).
In Sam & Cat, McCurdy (iCarly's Sam Puckett) and Grande (Victorious' Cat Valentine) are back as their respective iconic characters from iCarly and Victorious in this new spin-off comedy. Sam & Cat follows feisty Sam and flighty Cat as they become best friends and unlikely roommates who start a babysitting service. The series is created by award-winning executive producer Dan Schneider (iCarly, Victorious, Drake & Josh, Zoey 101). Meanwhile, Laverne & Shirley aired from 1976-83 on ABC so this is the first time both Marshall and Williams will be acting together since 1983. Schlemiel! Schlimazel! Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!
Fox has now set its fall 2013 premiere dates for its new and returning series, joining CBS, The CW and NBC who all announced their dates already. Only ABC now remains to be announced. The 2013-2014 Fox season begins with the return of The X Factor and once again Fox will launch a majority of their series before the start of the official start of the new TV season. Hosted by Mario Lopez, and featuring judges Simon Cowell, Demi Lovato, Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio, the hit music competition series will launch with a two-night season premiere event on Wednesday, Sept. 11 from 8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT and Thursday, Sept. 12 from 8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT. The X Factor will expand to two-hours every Wednesday starting Sept. 18 and will be one-hour on Thursdays starting Sept. 19. Darkly amusing procedural Bones enters its ninth season on Monday, Sept. 16 at 8:00PM ET/PT, followed by the series premiere of the thrilling adventure fantasy Sleep Hollow at 9:00PM ET/PT. The very next night, Sept. 17, the Tuesday night comedy block is back with two new additions - multi-camera sitcom Dads at 8:00PM ET/PT and single-camera comedy Brooklyn Nine-Nine at 8:30PM ET/PT - and new seasons of New Girl at 9:00PM ET/PT and The Mindy Project at 9:30PM ET/PT, both remaining in their timeslots from last season. Moving on to Thursdays, fans will find out the answers to many Glee-related questions when a new season of the musical comedy launches Thursday, Sept. 19 at 9:00PM ET/PT, following The X Factor.
On Fridays, new unscripted series Masterchef Junior is set to debut Friday, Sept. 27 at 8:00PM ET/PT. The regular Masterchef will have its season finale on Wednesday, Sept. 11 at 9:00PM following The X Factor season premiere. Sundays get re-animated beginning Sept. 29, with the season premieres of The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy and American Dad! all returning in their time periods from 8:00-10:00PM ET/PT. And finally, later this fall, futuristic action drama Almost Human from J.J. Abrams premieres Monday, Nov. 4 at 8:00PM ET/PT in place of Bones. Where will that series go you say? To Friday nights beginning Nov. 8 is when Bones moves to a new night at 8:00PM ET/PT. Following Bones will be comedies: the season premiere of Raising Hope on a new night and time of 9:00PM ET/PT kicks off an all-new hour of comedy, followed by the series premiere of the new sibling single-camera comedy Enlisted at 9:30PM ET/PT from Kevin Biegel (Cougar Town, Scrubs). Stay with us for any further updates on Fox Fall 2013.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, April 30
Bob's Burgers - "Like Gene for Chocolate" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Gene learns that the formula for his favorite chocolate has changed, he works with the head of the company in an attempt to remedy the situation. Meanwhile, Bob gets wrapped up in one of Teddy’s less-than-perfect plans.
Bob's Burgers - "Thelma & Louise Except Thelma Is Linda" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
After Louise gets in trouble at school, Linda is forced to meet with Mr. Frond (guest voice David Herman) and potentially could lose her hard-earned position as the Wagstaff bake sale leader. When she finds out that her daughter was actually trying to help another student, Linda is torn between following school policy or her own moral code.
The Simpsons - "Looking for Mr. Goodbart" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Bart gets in trouble on Grandparents Day at school and is forced to hang out with Skinner’s mother as punishment. After spending time with various grandmas in the neighborhood, he learns the benefits of hanging out with the elderly, but eventually recognizes the dangers of taking advantage of them. Meanwhile, Peekimon Get has taken over the town of Springfield.
Making History - "Night Cream" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
With the ever-present threat of losing tenure looming over him, Chris reaches out to John Hancock and Samuel Adams to help spice things up in the classroom in 2017. Meanwhile, Deb's dream of re-opening Chadwick's ice cream parlor is finally coming to fruition, but Dan has a few marketing ideas of his own.
Family Guy - "The Peter Principal" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Peter becomes the temporary principal at the high school, and Meg uses his new power to get even with her bullies. Meanwhile, Brian and Stewie open a bed & breakfast that quickly turns into a brothel.
The Last Man on Earth - "The Big Day" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Tandy and Gail face off in a major disagreement, on which the whole group must weigh in, and Carol is forced to choose a side. Meanwhile, Melissa, Todd and Erica each have major milestone moments.
Sunday, April 30
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ike Barinholtz (The Mindy Project) - Ike appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Joel is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jake Johnson (New Girl) - Jake visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to the Captain/Gary Unmarried) - Al appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ashton Kutcher (The Ranch/Two and a Half Men/That '70s Show) - Ashton appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison teams up with Mario Batali to make a cheesy, decadent Gnocchi Al Telefono and dishes about her new Broadway show on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Charlie Hunnam (Undeclared) - Charlie will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11:15am.
- Nick Robinson (Melissa & Joey) - Nick talks about his new film Everything, Everything on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.
- Jodie Sweetin (Hollywood Darlings/Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.