Thursday, June 27, 2013
Nickelodeon is "Making Our Dreams Come True!" Beloved classic sitcom duo Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams (Laverne & Shirley) will reunite on screen in a scripted series for the first time in over 30 years with their upcoming guest appearance on Nickelodeon's fellow buddy sitcom Sam & Cat. Marshall and Williams will appear alongside Sam & Cat's funny gals Jennette McCurdy and Ariana Grande in "#SalmonCat," taping this week in Los Angeles. In the episode, Sam and Cat are ordered to rename their babysitting business because it's too similar to Salmon Cat, a TV show from the '70s. Sam and Cat must track down the show's two original creators (played by Marshall and Williams) and resolve their three decade-long feud. Sam & Cat, currently Nickelodeon's number-one live-action series, drew over 4.2 million viewers with its series premiere making it the network's biggest live-action debut in three years. The series airs regularly Saturdays at 8:00 p.m. (ET/PT).
In Sam & Cat, McCurdy (iCarly's Sam Puckett) and Grande (Victorious' Cat Valentine) are back as their respective iconic characters from iCarly and Victorious in this new spin-off comedy. Sam & Cat follows feisty Sam and flighty Cat as they become best friends and unlikely roommates who start a babysitting service. The series is created by award-winning executive producer Dan Schneider (iCarly, Victorious, Drake & Josh, Zoey 101). Meanwhile, Laverne & Shirley aired from 1976-83 on ABC so this is the first time both Marshall and Williams will be acting together since 1983. Schlemiel! Schlimazel! Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!
Fox has now set its fall 2013 premiere dates for its new and returning series, joining CBS, The CW and NBC who all announced their dates already. Only ABC now remains to be announced. The 2013-2014 Fox season begins with the return of The X Factor and once again Fox will launch a majority of their series before the start of the official start of the new TV season. Hosted by Mario Lopez, and featuring judges Simon Cowell, Demi Lovato, Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio, the hit music competition series will launch with a two-night season premiere event on Wednesday, Sept. 11 from 8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT and Thursday, Sept. 12 from 8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT. The X Factor will expand to two-hours every Wednesday starting Sept. 18 and will be one-hour on Thursdays starting Sept. 19. Darkly amusing procedural Bones enters its ninth season on Monday, Sept. 16 at 8:00PM ET/PT, followed by the series premiere of the thrilling adventure fantasy Sleep Hollow at 9:00PM ET/PT. The very next night, Sept. 17, the Tuesday night comedy block is back with two new additions - multi-camera sitcom Dads at 8:00PM ET/PT and single-camera comedy Brooklyn Nine-Nine at 8:30PM ET/PT - and new seasons of New Girl at 9:00PM ET/PT and The Mindy Project at 9:30PM ET/PT, both remaining in their timeslots from last season. Moving on to Thursdays, fans will find out the answers to many Glee-related questions when a new season of the musical comedy launches Thursday, Sept. 19 at 9:00PM ET/PT, following The X Factor.
On Fridays, new unscripted series Masterchef Junior is set to debut Friday, Sept. 27 at 8:00PM ET/PT. The regular Masterchef will have its season finale on Wednesday, Sept. 11 at 9:00PM following The X Factor season premiere. Sundays get re-animated beginning Sept. 29, with the season premieres of The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy and American Dad! all returning in their time periods from 8:00-10:00PM ET/PT. And finally, later this fall, futuristic action drama Almost Human from J.J. Abrams premieres Monday, Nov. 4 at 8:00PM ET/PT in place of Bones. Where will that series go you say? To Friday nights beginning Nov. 8 is when Bones moves to a new night at 8:00PM ET/PT. Following Bones will be comedies: the season premiere of Raising Hope on a new night and time of 9:00PM ET/PT kicks off an all-new hour of comedy, followed by the series premiere of the new sibling single-camera comedy Enlisted at 9:30PM ET/PT from Kevin Biegel (Cougar Town, Scrubs). Stay with us for any further updates on Fox Fall 2013.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, December 8
The Big Bang Theory - "The Military Miniaturization" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Colonel Williams (Dean Norris), an Air Force representative from the Department of Material Command sits down to talk with Wolowitz.
The Great Indoors - "@Emma" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emma quits after being turned down for a raise, Jack and Roland become the magazine’s newest and worst ever social media managers. Also, in a misguided attempt to boost business, Eddie re-brands his bar as “magic-themed.”
Mom - "Cornbread and a Cashmere Onesie" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Christy and Bonnie worry about Jill after her cry for help on the anniversary of her mother’s suicide.
Life in Pieces - "Swim Survivor Zen Talk" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When John decides to try out for “Survivor,” Tim gets jealous and attempts to undermine his audition tape. Also, Colleen confesses she can’t swim when she and Matt discuss Hawaii as a honeymoon destination; Jen pretends to get hooked on meditation so she can use the time to play cell phone games; and Heather gives Sophia the “sex” talk. “Survivor” host Jeff Probst guest stars as himself.
Thursday, December 8
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Catch Jennifer on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Lola Kirke (Mozart in the Jungle) - Lola is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril guest co-hosts Rachael Ray and makes sausage-stuffed mushrooms, so check your local listings.
- Jodie Sweetin (Fuller House/Full House) and Andrea Barber (Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie and Andrea chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. Jodie joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Judah Friedlander (30 Rock) - Judah is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Lori Loughlin (Fuller House/Full House) - Lori is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. She also talks about what to expect from Season 2 of Fuller House on People Now at 8:30am.
- Scott Patterson (Aliens in America) - Scott talks about Luke and Lorelai’s wedding scene from Gilmore Girls – and if he thinks the two will ever have a baby on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother) - Josh is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- Emmanuelle Chriqui (Entourage) - Emanuelle appears the AOL Build Show 3:45pm.
- Gael Garcia Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.