Wednesday, May 15, 2013
CBS Upfront 2013-14: Fall 2013 Schedule; Episodic Review: Modern Family - "Games People Play" - Airing Tonight on ABC
8:00PM How I Met Your Mother
8:30PM We Are Men (NEW!)
9:00PM 2 Broke Girls
9:30PM Mom (NEW!)
10:00PM Hostages (NEW!)
9:00PM NCIS: Los Angeles
10:00PM Person of Interest
9:00PM Criminal Minds
10:00PM CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
8:00PM The Big Bang Theory
8:30PM The Millers (NEW!)
9:00PM The Crazy Ones (NEW!)
9:30PM Two and a Half Men
8:00PM Undercover Boss
9:00PM Hawaii Five-0
10:00PM Blue Bloods
8:00PM Comedytime Saturday (encores)
8:30PM Comedytime Saturday (encores)
9:00PM Crimetime Saturday (encores)
10:00PM 48 Hours
7:00PM 60 Minutes
8:00PM The Amazing Race
9:00PM The Good Wife
10:00PM The Mentalist
Returning series: Mike & Molly
New series: Intelligence (drama, Mon at 10pm), Reckless (drama), Friends with Better Lives (comedy)
NOTES: CBS has announced eight new series - five comedies and three dramas. Five of the new series will premiere in the fall and three at mid-season. The new comedies star Robin Williams, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Will Arnett, Margo Martindale, Anna Faris, Allison Janney and Tony Shalhoub. A two-hour comedy block will air on Thursdays from 8-10pm. An encore hour of comedies will air on Saturdays at 8pm. Scheduled for mid-season are dramas Intelligence (Mondays at 8pm) and Reckless. Comedy Mike & Molly will return for a fourth season at mid-season. Romantic comedy Friends with Better Lives will air at mid-season.
Discuss CBS's 2013-14 line-up and view the full press release.
On the next...Modern Family:
ABC's Comedy Wednesday anchor starring an ensemble cast lead by Ed O'Neill, airs Wednesday nights at 9:00pm and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (May 15). In the episode airing tonight, "Games People Play," Phil (Ty Burrell) gets a brand new RV with high hopes of going on a fun family road trip, and Claire (Julie Bowen) decides to let him learn the hard way why this will likely be a terrible idea. Meanwhile, Manny (Rico Rodriguez) has misplaced his backpack and Jay (Ed O'Neill) and Gloria (Sofia Vergara) go with him on a hunt for it, breaking into Claire's house and then into Mitchell's (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) house -- where they do some over-the-top snooping; and Lily's (Aubrey Anderson-Emmons) gymnastics meet brings out an unrivaled competitive spirit in Mitch and Cam (Eric Stonestreet).
This is a classic Modern Family episode. Even though they are all not together and split up in three different storylines, the themes are similar and as always the show is so relateable. This episode is all about playing games or mind games with each other. Usually one of the B-storylines is never as good as the main storyline on sitcoms, but not on this episode of this award-winning comedy. All three are so well done and I was interested in what was going to happen next on each one. In the first one, the Dunphy's get a new RV and go on a little family trip and everything is going as smooth as you would see on something like Ozzie & Harriet but Claire is not loving it actually. Are Phil and the kids playing mind games with Claire? There are some hilarious antics going on including Phil going Gangnam style with Haley and Alex. Another classic Phil Dunphy moment. The next storyline features Jay and Gloria trying to help Manny retrace his steps and find his missing backpack. On the road to finding it, we have some great funny moments and Gloria as usual shines with hilarious lines. We even get a little pictionary game between Jay and Gloria and it is almost as comical as that very cool Modern Family Oscar promo a couple years ago. It was a nice homage to that. Once again, we get some game playing in this storyline as well. The final storyline brings out the real game playing where Lily is competing in a gymnastics meet. You would think Cameron would be the competitive parent, but Mitchell surprises and shows in an amusing way that Lily is the best one out there and no one can beat her.
It's a solid installment and it is the penultimate episode of the season. This episode was actually produced as the last episode but it isn't airing as the finale. We'll have a review of the finale next week, so come on back for that. As for this episode, it brings in the competitive juice and it entertains. It's a jovial episode and each character is showcased and that is the core of this show, to show each character equally. Phil Dunphy is the best I think but each character is needed to make this show what it is. Even Lily has shined since she grew up and delivers hilarious "oh my god" moments. Watch tonight because the family is playing games and there is no basketball hoop or baseball bat needed. A-
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 1
The Good Place - "Pilot" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Thanks to some kind of error, Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell), an ordinary woman, enters the afterlife and is sent to the Good Place -- which is definitely not where she belongs. While hiding in plain sight from Michael (Ted Danson), the wise architect of the Good Place who is unaware that he's made a mistake, she's determined to shed her old way of living and discover the awesome person within. Helping Eleanor navigate her new surroundings are Chidi (William Jackson Harper), her kind, open-hearted "soulmate" who sees the good in people but finds himself facing quite a dilemma; her frustratingly perfect new neighbors, Tahani (Jameela Jamil) and Jianyu (Manny Jacinto); and Janet (D'Arcy Carden), a walking, talking source for all the knowledge in the universe.
The Good Place - "Flying" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) tries to prove to Chidi (William Jackson Harper) that she is worthy of his help. Meanwhile, Tahani (Jameela Jamil) and Jianyu (Manny Jacinto) try to help Michael (Ted Danson) feel better about the unknown flaw in his Neighborhood.
The Good Place - "Tahani Al Jamil" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Chidi (William Jackson Harper) begins formally teaching Eleanor (Kristen Bell) about ethics, and lesson No. 1 is: be kind to your neighbor. Michael (Ted Danson) and Janet (D'Arcy Carden) help Chidi find a new, exciting hobby.
The Good Place - "Jason Mendoza" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) faces her toughest test yet in her attempt to remain in hiding. Meanwhile, Michael (Ted Danson) enlists Tahani (Jameela Jamil) to help a fellow neighbor fulfill her true purpose.
Henry Danger - "Scream Machine" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Charlotte's invention for The Gizmo Show is accidentally destroyed and then rebuilt, Charlotte worries that the attention she gets could expose Kid Danger and Captain Man's secret identity.
Game Shakers - "The Very Old Finger" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
The Game Shakers visit a mummy exhibit to get ideas for a new game they're working on. Hudson accidentally snaps off one of its fingers. Babe leads a quest to glue it back on without getting caught.
School of Rock - "With or Without You" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Lawrence tries to prove his value to the group by taking over the production of their first recording, but his methods create a rift in the band. Guest Star: Brec Bassinger
Sunday, October 2
- Mindy Kaling (The Mindy Project/The Office) - Catch Mindy on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Mindy Kaling (The Mindy Project/The Office) - Watch Mindy on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. She will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Scream Queens/Anything But Love) - Jamie Lee visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley) - Kumail appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) and Brendon Small (Home Movies) - Steve and Brendon are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Champs/Hiller and Diller) - Kevin stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Kenan Thompson (Kenan & Kel) - Kenan drops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Chris Gethard (Broad City) - Chris chats about the play Career Suicide on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Abigail Spencer (Burning Love) - Abigail talks about Timeless on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 2pm. She is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Rob Riggle (Golan the Insatiable) - Rob talks about Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso talks how many America's Funniest Home Videos get submitted and the funny home videos he wants to submit with his family on People Now at 8:30am.
- Jennifer Esposito (Samantha Who?/Spin City) - Jennifer is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Sara Rue (Impastor/Less Than Perfect) - Sara appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Jay Ellis (Insecure/The Game) - Jay is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.