Wednesday, May 15, 2013
CBS Upfront 2013-14: Fall 2013 Schedule; Episodic Review: Modern Family - "Games People Play" - Airing Tonight on ABC
8:00PM How I Met Your Mother
8:30PM We Are Men (NEW!)
9:00PM 2 Broke Girls
9:30PM Mom (NEW!)
10:00PM Hostages (NEW!)
9:00PM NCIS: Los Angeles
10:00PM Person of Interest
9:00PM Criminal Minds
10:00PM CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
8:00PM The Big Bang Theory
8:30PM The Millers (NEW!)
9:00PM The Crazy Ones (NEW!)
9:30PM Two and a Half Men
8:00PM Undercover Boss
9:00PM Hawaii Five-0
10:00PM Blue Bloods
8:00PM Comedytime Saturday (encores)
8:30PM Comedytime Saturday (encores)
9:00PM Crimetime Saturday (encores)
10:00PM 48 Hours
7:00PM 60 Minutes
8:00PM The Amazing Race
9:00PM The Good Wife
10:00PM The Mentalist
Returning series: Mike & Molly
New series: Intelligence (drama, Mon at 10pm), Reckless (drama), Friends with Better Lives (comedy)
NOTES: CBS has announced eight new series - five comedies and three dramas. Five of the new series will premiere in the fall and three at mid-season. The new comedies star Robin Williams, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Will Arnett, Margo Martindale, Anna Faris, Allison Janney and Tony Shalhoub. A two-hour comedy block will air on Thursdays from 8-10pm. An encore hour of comedies will air on Saturdays at 8pm. Scheduled for mid-season are dramas Intelligence (Mondays at 8pm) and Reckless. Comedy Mike & Molly will return for a fourth season at mid-season. Romantic comedy Friends with Better Lives will air at mid-season.
Discuss CBS's 2013-14 line-up and view the full press release.
On the next...Modern Family:
ABC's Comedy Wednesday anchor starring an ensemble cast lead by Ed O'Neill, airs Wednesday nights at 9:00pm and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (May 15). In the episode airing tonight, "Games People Play," Phil (Ty Burrell) gets a brand new RV with high hopes of going on a fun family road trip, and Claire (Julie Bowen) decides to let him learn the hard way why this will likely be a terrible idea. Meanwhile, Manny (Rico Rodriguez) has misplaced his backpack and Jay (Ed O'Neill) and Gloria (Sofia Vergara) go with him on a hunt for it, breaking into Claire's house and then into Mitchell's (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) house -- where they do some over-the-top snooping; and Lily's (Aubrey Anderson-Emmons) gymnastics meet brings out an unrivaled competitive spirit in Mitch and Cam (Eric Stonestreet).
This is a classic Modern Family episode. Even though they are all not together and split up in three different storylines, the themes are similar and as always the show is so relateable. This episode is all about playing games or mind games with each other. Usually one of the B-storylines is never as good as the main storyline on sitcoms, but not on this episode of this award-winning comedy. All three are so well done and I was interested in what was going to happen next on each one. In the first one, the Dunphy's get a new RV and go on a little family trip and everything is going as smooth as you would see on something like Ozzie & Harriet but Claire is not loving it actually. Are Phil and the kids playing mind games with Claire? There are some hilarious antics going on including Phil going Gangnam style with Haley and Alex. Another classic Phil Dunphy moment. The next storyline features Jay and Gloria trying to help Manny retrace his steps and find his missing backpack. On the road to finding it, we have some great funny moments and Gloria as usual shines with hilarious lines. We even get a little pictionary game between Jay and Gloria and it is almost as comical as that very cool Modern Family Oscar promo a couple years ago. It was a nice homage to that. Once again, we get some game playing in this storyline as well. The final storyline brings out the real game playing where Lily is competing in a gymnastics meet. You would think Cameron would be the competitive parent, but Mitchell surprises and shows in an amusing way that Lily is the best one out there and no one can beat her.
It's a solid installment and it is the penultimate episode of the season. This episode was actually produced as the last episode but it isn't airing as the finale. We'll have a review of the finale next week, so come on back for that. As for this episode, it brings in the competitive juice and it entertains. It's a jovial episode and each character is showcased and that is the core of this show, to show each character equally. Phil Dunphy is the best I think but each character is needed to make this show what it is. Even Lily has shined since she grew up and delivers hilarious "oh my god" moments. Watch tonight because the family is playing games and there is no basketball hoop or baseball bat needed. A-
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, December 3
Henry Danger - "Dodging Danger" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Henry uses his new super power to compete in a Dodge-A-Leen tournament, Ray, Schwoz, and Charlotte go undercover to teach Henry a lesson.
Monday, December 5
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Watch Will on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Steve Harvey (The Steve Harvey Show) - Steve visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Jason visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Gael García Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Steve appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- The Cast of Fuller House - The cast of Fuller House are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Patricia stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Miss Piggy (The Muppets) - Miss Piggy and Harry perform Deck the Halls on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Meredith Hagner (Search Party/Men at Work) - Meredith is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Lauren Graham (The Odd Couple/Conrad Bloom/Townies) - Lauren appears on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. talks about Office Christmas Party on the AOL Build Show at 3pm. He will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. He can also be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 9:50am.
- Bradley Whitford (Happyish/Trophy Wife) - Bradley is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Josh McDermitt (Retired at 35) - Josh can be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 10:45am.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn talks about Kevin Can Wait on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.