Wednesday, May 15, 2013
CBS Upfront 2013-14: Fall 2013 Schedule; Episodic Review: Modern Family - "Games People Play" - Airing Tonight on ABC
8:00PM How I Met Your Mother
8:30PM We Are Men (NEW!)
9:00PM 2 Broke Girls
9:30PM Mom (NEW!)
10:00PM Hostages (NEW!)
9:00PM NCIS: Los Angeles
10:00PM Person of Interest
9:00PM Criminal Minds
10:00PM CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
8:00PM The Big Bang Theory
8:30PM The Millers (NEW!)
9:00PM The Crazy Ones (NEW!)
9:30PM Two and a Half Men
8:00PM Undercover Boss
9:00PM Hawaii Five-0
10:00PM Blue Bloods
8:00PM Comedytime Saturday (encores)
8:30PM Comedytime Saturday (encores)
9:00PM Crimetime Saturday (encores)
10:00PM 48 Hours
7:00PM 60 Minutes
8:00PM The Amazing Race
9:00PM The Good Wife
10:00PM The Mentalist
Returning series: Mike & Molly
New series: Intelligence (drama, Mon at 10pm), Reckless (drama), Friends with Better Lives (comedy)
NOTES: CBS has announced eight new series - five comedies and three dramas. Five of the new series will premiere in the fall and three at mid-season. The new comedies star Robin Williams, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Will Arnett, Margo Martindale, Anna Faris, Allison Janney and Tony Shalhoub. A two-hour comedy block will air on Thursdays from 8-10pm. An encore hour of comedies will air on Saturdays at 8pm. Scheduled for mid-season are dramas Intelligence (Mondays at 8pm) and Reckless. Comedy Mike & Molly will return for a fourth season at mid-season. Romantic comedy Friends with Better Lives will air at mid-season.
Discuss CBS's 2013-14 line-up and view the full press release.
On the next...Modern Family:
ABC's Comedy Wednesday anchor starring an ensemble cast lead by Ed O'Neill, airs Wednesday nights at 9:00pm and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (May 15). In the episode airing tonight, "Games People Play," Phil (Ty Burrell) gets a brand new RV with high hopes of going on a fun family road trip, and Claire (Julie Bowen) decides to let him learn the hard way why this will likely be a terrible idea. Meanwhile, Manny (Rico Rodriguez) has misplaced his backpack and Jay (Ed O'Neill) and Gloria (Sofia Vergara) go with him on a hunt for it, breaking into Claire's house and then into Mitchell's (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) house -- where they do some over-the-top snooping; and Lily's (Aubrey Anderson-Emmons) gymnastics meet brings out an unrivaled competitive spirit in Mitch and Cam (Eric Stonestreet).
This is a classic Modern Family episode. Even though they are all not together and split up in three different storylines, the themes are similar and as always the show is so relateable. This episode is all about playing games or mind games with each other. Usually one of the B-storylines is never as good as the main storyline on sitcoms, but not on this episode of this award-winning comedy. All three are so well done and I was interested in what was going to happen next on each one. In the first one, the Dunphy's get a new RV and go on a little family trip and everything is going as smooth as you would see on something like Ozzie & Harriet but Claire is not loving it actually. Are Phil and the kids playing mind games with Claire? There are some hilarious antics going on including Phil going Gangnam style with Haley and Alex. Another classic Phil Dunphy moment. The next storyline features Jay and Gloria trying to help Manny retrace his steps and find his missing backpack. On the road to finding it, we have some great funny moments and Gloria as usual shines with hilarious lines. We even get a little pictionary game between Jay and Gloria and it is almost as comical as that very cool Modern Family Oscar promo a couple years ago. It was a nice homage to that. Once again, we get some game playing in this storyline as well. The final storyline brings out the real game playing where Lily is competing in a gymnastics meet. You would think Cameron would be the competitive parent, but Mitchell surprises and shows in an amusing way that Lily is the best one out there and no one can beat her.
It's a solid installment and it is the penultimate episode of the season. This episode was actually produced as the last episode but it isn't airing as the finale. We'll have a review of the finale next week, so come on back for that. As for this episode, it brings in the competitive juice and it entertains. It's a jovial episode and each character is showcased and that is the core of this show, to show each character equally. Phil Dunphy is the best I think but each character is needed to make this show what it is. Even Lily has shined since she grew up and delivers hilarious "oh my god" moments. Watch tonight because the family is playing games and there is no basketball hoop or baseball bat needed. A-
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, March 24
Last Man Standing - "Bad Heir Day" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Mike and Vanessa think it’s time for newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to move out, but when Chuck relays some unexpected news about Kyle’s absentee mom, Mike has second thoughts. Meanwhile, Eve tells Ryan that Boyd is making up stories about his Dad’s real job, because he’s embarrassed about being home-schooled.
Dr. Ken - "Clark's Big Surprise" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Ken accidentally finds out that Clark and Connor are planning their surprise wedding, he has to find a way to get everyone to come. But Damona finds out and to get Allison there, she tells her that Ken is going to surprise her by renewing their wedding vows. Guest performances from the Grammy Award-winning band, Train, featuring lead singer Pat Monahan and guitarist Jerry Becker.
Friday, March 24
- Sofia Black-D'Elia (The Mick) - Watch Sofia on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock/The Tracy Morgan Show) - Tracy is on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Malin Akerman (Trophy Wife/Sin City Saints) - Malin appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Zach Galifianakis (Baskets) - Zach is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened) - Laura appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jermaine Fowler (Superior Donuts) - Jermaine is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Martha Plimpton (The Real O'Neals/Raising Hope) - Martha appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Carl Reiner (The Dick Van Dyke Show) and Rob Reiner (All in the Family) - Carl and Rob are guests on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She also joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) and Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) - Jane and Lily talk about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brooklyn talks about Malibu Country on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Rhea Perlman (Cheers/Kirstie) - Rhea talks about Me and My Grandma on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.