Tuesday, May 14, 2013
ABC Upfront 2013-14: Fall 2013 Schedule; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Elaine's Big Day" - Season Finale Airing Tonight on Fox
8:00PM Dancing with the Stars
8:00PM Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (NEW!)
9:00PM The Goldbergs (NEW!)
9:30PM Trophy Wife (NEW!)
10:00PM Lucky 7 (NEW!)
8:00PM The Middle
8:30PM Back in the Game (NEW!)
9:00PM Modern Family
9:30PM Super Fun Night (NEW!)
8:00PM Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (NEW!)
9:00PM Grey's Anatomy
8:00PM Last Man Standing
8:30PM The Neighbors
9:00PM Shark Tank
8:00PM Saturday Night College Football
7:00PM America's Funniest Home Videos
8:00PM Once Upon a Time
10:00PM Betrayal (NEW!)
New Mid-Season: Killer Women (Drama), Mind Games (Drama), Resurrection (Drama, Sundays at 10pm in January), Mixology (Comedy), The Quest (Reality/Alternative Series, Sundays at 8pm in January)
Returning Mid-Season: The Bachelor, Suburgatory, and The Taste
NOTES: ABC has announced their fall schedule and we have some notes on the schedule. Thirteen new series have been picked up: five new comedies, seven new dramas and one reality/alternative series. Dancing with the Stars will now air on a single night on Mondays from 8-10pm, integrating the performance show and results show into one night and making each episode action-packed event television. Tuesdays feature all-new series, with two new dramas at 8pm and 10pm and a comedy block at 9pm. Wednesdays will have two new comedies. Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, the Once Upon a Time spin-off, will lead off Thursdays at 8pm. New midseason series include Killer Women, Mind Games, Resurrection, Mixology and The Quest. Returning series at midseason will be The Bachelor and The Taste. A Disney•Pixar special, Toy Story of Terror, featuring the original voice cast from the hit film will premiere in October.
Discuss ABC's 2013-14 line-up and also you can view complete program information.
On the next...New Girl:
Fox's Tuesday adorkable sitcom starring Zooey Deschanel airs Tuesdays at 9:00pm and we have just watched the season finale that airs tonight (May 14). Singer, songwriter and actress Taylor Swift makes a cameo appearance as a wedding guest, and actor/director Rob Reiner returns in his role as Jess' dad, Bob Day. In the season finale tonight, "Elaine's Big Day," Cece's (Hannah Simone) wedding day finds Jess (Zooey Deschanel) and Nick (Jake Johnson) making a decision about their relationship. Meanwhile, Schmidt (Max Greenfield) schemes with a typically overenthusiastic Winston (Lamorne Morris) to sabotage the nuptials, although a shocking announcement may be bigger than anything he plans.
The great thing about New Girl's season finale is that it actually feels like a season finale. That seems like a given, but it's not necessarily always the case with sitcoms that a season finale is going to be a big, important episode. But it is definitely the case with New Girl - the finale had a lot of ends to tie up, as this season has seen the show play around with a lot of interesting developments with its characters. The most notable example is the Jess/Nick dynamic, but you also have Schmidt navigating the rocky pastures of his love life, as well as Cece realizing that she might need to start settling down if she wants to start a family. "Elaine's Big Day" addresses all of these points in ways that not only make a lot of sense with the show's characters, but in ways to make the finale a legitimately exciting experience.
There's honestly not much I can reveal here without spoiling the entire episode, but I will say that the show's build-up to the resolution for all of these plot-lines is seriously enthralling - I don't remember the last time I was this interested in seeing how the plot of a sitcom episode unfolded. The show does a great job of pacing the episode perfectly to keep us interested in what's going on right until the end. Additionally, even with so much plot, the show doesn't forget to be funny - the finale is not only exciting but also seriously hilarious, demonstrating just how comfortably New Girl has found its comic voice this year. While the finale ties up most of the plotlines that have been hanging around for the majority of the season, it also sets up enough to make me very curious as to see where the show is going to pick up next year. Basically, the finale is everything you can ask for in a comedy finale - it's extremely funny, it has some excellent character moments, and it sets up the next season in a way that makes me extremely anxious to get through the summer and see where these characters end up in the fall. It's a perfect finale to cap off an excellent sophomore season. A
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, March 30
2 Broke Girls - "And the Zero Tolerance" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Max and Caroline attempt to bring in extra money to help pay off their bank loan by taking second jobs as a pastry chef and a hostess at a chic restaurant. Sandra Bernhard guest stars as Joe, the owner of the high-end restaurant.
Mike & Molly - "Cocktails and Calamine" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Molly is nervous about Mike attending a celebratory party her publisher puts on for her and Peggy.
American Dad - "The Shrink" (TBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Stan goes to a shrink after he sees a couple die in a car crash; Roger and Klaus study for a wine tasting.
Monday, March 30
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Stark Raving Mad/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Watch Neil on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family/Encore! Encore!/Charlie Lawrence) - Nathan is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Kristen Schaal (The Last Man on Earth/The Hotwives of Orlando/30 Rock) - Kristen visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Becki Newton (Weird Loners/The Goodwin Games/How I Met Your Mother) - Becki appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC. Becki and Zachary Knighton also talk about Weird Loners on Good Day LA on Fox 11 LA KTTV in Los Angeles.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Alyssa Milano (Who's the Boss?/Romantically Challenged) - Alyssa guest hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Regina King (227) - Regina chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy talks about the game show Monopoly Millionaires’ Club on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Hilary Duff (Younger/Lizzie McGuire) - Hilary appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Full House) - Candace discusses her new Hallmark Movies & Mysteries original A Bone to Pick: An Aurora Teagarden Mystery on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kevin Rahm (I Hate My Teenage Daughter) - Kevin talks about what to expect on the final season of his popular show Mad Men on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Sutton Foster (Younger) - Sutton discusses her starring role in TV Land's Younger and talks about her exciting solo debut at Carnegie Hall on HuffPost Live at 3:40pm.
- Rob Corddry (The Winner) - Rob is a guest on SportsNation at 3pm on ESPN2.
- Garcelle Beauvais (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Garcelle guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee is a guest on VH1's Big Morning Buzz Live at 9am.
- The Cast of Younger - Patricia Field, Sutton Foster, Hilary Duff, Debi Mazar, Miriam Shor, Nico Tortorella and creator Darren Star are guests on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.