Tuesday, May 14, 2013
ABC Upfront 2013-14: Fall 2013 Schedule; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Elaine's Big Day" - Season Finale Airing Tonight on Fox
8:00PM Dancing with the Stars
8:00PM Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (NEW!)
9:00PM The Goldbergs (NEW!)
9:30PM Trophy Wife (NEW!)
10:00PM Lucky 7 (NEW!)
8:00PM The Middle
8:30PM Back in the Game (NEW!)
9:00PM Modern Family
9:30PM Super Fun Night (NEW!)
8:00PM Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (NEW!)
9:00PM Grey's Anatomy
8:00PM Last Man Standing
8:30PM The Neighbors
9:00PM Shark Tank
8:00PM Saturday Night College Football
7:00PM America's Funniest Home Videos
8:00PM Once Upon a Time
10:00PM Betrayal (NEW!)
New Mid-Season: Killer Women (Drama), Mind Games (Drama), Resurrection (Drama, Sundays at 10pm in January), Mixology (Comedy), The Quest (Reality/Alternative Series, Sundays at 8pm in January)
Returning Mid-Season: The Bachelor, Suburgatory, and The Taste
NOTES: ABC has announced their fall schedule and we have some notes on the schedule. Thirteen new series have been picked up: five new comedies, seven new dramas and one reality/alternative series. Dancing with the Stars will now air on a single night on Mondays from 8-10pm, integrating the performance show and results show into one night and making each episode action-packed event television. Tuesdays feature all-new series, with two new dramas at 8pm and 10pm and a comedy block at 9pm. Wednesdays will have two new comedies. Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, the Once Upon a Time spin-off, will lead off Thursdays at 8pm. New midseason series include Killer Women, Mind Games, Resurrection, Mixology and The Quest. Returning series at midseason will be The Bachelor and The Taste. A Disney•Pixar special, Toy Story of Terror, featuring the original voice cast from the hit film will premiere in October.
Discuss ABC's 2013-14 line-up and also you can view complete program information.
On the next...New Girl:
Fox's Tuesday adorkable sitcom starring Zooey Deschanel airs Tuesdays at 9:00pm and we have just watched the season finale that airs tonight (May 14). Singer, songwriter and actress Taylor Swift makes a cameo appearance as a wedding guest, and actor/director Rob Reiner returns in his role as Jess' dad, Bob Day. In the season finale tonight, "Elaine's Big Day," Cece's (Hannah Simone) wedding day finds Jess (Zooey Deschanel) and Nick (Jake Johnson) making a decision about their relationship. Meanwhile, Schmidt (Max Greenfield) schemes with a typically overenthusiastic Winston (Lamorne Morris) to sabotage the nuptials, although a shocking announcement may be bigger than anything he plans.
The great thing about New Girl's season finale is that it actually feels like a season finale. That seems like a given, but it's not necessarily always the case with sitcoms that a season finale is going to be a big, important episode. But it is definitely the case with New Girl - the finale had a lot of ends to tie up, as this season has seen the show play around with a lot of interesting developments with its characters. The most notable example is the Jess/Nick dynamic, but you also have Schmidt navigating the rocky pastures of his love life, as well as Cece realizing that she might need to start settling down if she wants to start a family. "Elaine's Big Day" addresses all of these points in ways that not only make a lot of sense with the show's characters, but in ways to make the finale a legitimately exciting experience.
There's honestly not much I can reveal here without spoiling the entire episode, but I will say that the show's build-up to the resolution for all of these plot-lines is seriously enthralling - I don't remember the last time I was this interested in seeing how the plot of a sitcom episode unfolded. The show does a great job of pacing the episode perfectly to keep us interested in what's going on right until the end. Additionally, even with so much plot, the show doesn't forget to be funny - the finale is not only exciting but also seriously hilarious, demonstrating just how comfortably New Girl has found its comic voice this year. While the finale ties up most of the plotlines that have been hanging around for the majority of the season, it also sets up enough to make me very curious as to see where the show is going to pick up next year. Basically, the finale is everything you can ask for in a comedy finale - it's extremely funny, it has some excellent character moments, and it sets up the next season in a way that makes me extremely anxious to get through the summer and see where these characters end up in the fall. It's a perfect finale to cap off an excellent sophomore season. A
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, January 20
Last Man Standing - "A House Divided" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mike and Vanessa ask newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to tone down their constant displays of affection, Mandy agrees but only if her parents become more discreet in the way they express their feelings to each other. Meanwhile, Kristen gets Eve a gig playing at the Grill, but Ed wants to fire her after a lackluster performance.
Dr. Ken - "A Day in the Life" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Amy (guest star Yvette Nicole Brown), the producer of a documentary health series, follows Ken around to record a typical day at an HMO, giving Ken his big moment in the limelight. But much to Ken’s chagrin, a series of the less than thrilling day-to-day parts of the job at Welltopia leads Ken to doubt his own career choice.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.