Tuesday, May 14, 2013
ABC Upfront 2013-14: Fall 2013 Schedule; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Elaine's Big Day" - Season Finale Airing Tonight on Fox
8:00PM Dancing with the Stars
8:00PM Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (NEW!)
9:00PM The Goldbergs (NEW!)
9:30PM Trophy Wife (NEW!)
10:00PM Lucky 7 (NEW!)
8:00PM The Middle
8:30PM Back in the Game (NEW!)
9:00PM Modern Family
9:30PM Super Fun Night (NEW!)
8:00PM Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (NEW!)
9:00PM Grey's Anatomy
8:00PM Last Man Standing
8:30PM The Neighbors
9:00PM Shark Tank
8:00PM Saturday Night College Football
7:00PM America's Funniest Home Videos
8:00PM Once Upon a Time
10:00PM Betrayal (NEW!)
New Mid-Season: Killer Women (Drama), Mind Games (Drama), Resurrection (Drama, Sundays at 10pm in January), Mixology (Comedy), The Quest (Reality/Alternative Series, Sundays at 8pm in January)
Returning Mid-Season: The Bachelor, Suburgatory, and The Taste
NOTES: ABC has announced their fall schedule and we have some notes on the schedule. Thirteen new series have been picked up: five new comedies, seven new dramas and one reality/alternative series. Dancing with the Stars will now air on a single night on Mondays from 8-10pm, integrating the performance show and results show into one night and making each episode action-packed event television. Tuesdays feature all-new series, with two new dramas at 8pm and 10pm and a comedy block at 9pm. Wednesdays will have two new comedies. Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, the Once Upon a Time spin-off, will lead off Thursdays at 8pm. New midseason series include Killer Women, Mind Games, Resurrection, Mixology and The Quest. Returning series at midseason will be The Bachelor and The Taste. A Disney•Pixar special, Toy Story of Terror, featuring the original voice cast from the hit film will premiere in October.
Discuss ABC's 2013-14 line-up and also you can view complete program information.
On the next...New Girl:
Fox's Tuesday adorkable sitcom starring Zooey Deschanel airs Tuesdays at 9:00pm and we have just watched the season finale that airs tonight (May 14). Singer, songwriter and actress Taylor Swift makes a cameo appearance as a wedding guest, and actor/director Rob Reiner returns in his role as Jess' dad, Bob Day. In the season finale tonight, "Elaine's Big Day," Cece's (Hannah Simone) wedding day finds Jess (Zooey Deschanel) and Nick (Jake Johnson) making a decision about their relationship. Meanwhile, Schmidt (Max Greenfield) schemes with a typically overenthusiastic Winston (Lamorne Morris) to sabotage the nuptials, although a shocking announcement may be bigger than anything he plans.
The great thing about New Girl's season finale is that it actually feels like a season finale. That seems like a given, but it's not necessarily always the case with sitcoms that a season finale is going to be a big, important episode. But it is definitely the case with New Girl - the finale had a lot of ends to tie up, as this season has seen the show play around with a lot of interesting developments with its characters. The most notable example is the Jess/Nick dynamic, but you also have Schmidt navigating the rocky pastures of his love life, as well as Cece realizing that she might need to start settling down if she wants to start a family. "Elaine's Big Day" addresses all of these points in ways that not only make a lot of sense with the show's characters, but in ways to make the finale a legitimately exciting experience.
There's honestly not much I can reveal here without spoiling the entire episode, but I will say that the show's build-up to the resolution for all of these plot-lines is seriously enthralling - I don't remember the last time I was this interested in seeing how the plot of a sitcom episode unfolded. The show does a great job of pacing the episode perfectly to keep us interested in what's going on right until the end. Additionally, even with so much plot, the show doesn't forget to be funny - the finale is not only exciting but also seriously hilarious, demonstrating just how comfortably New Girl has found its comic voice this year. While the finale ties up most of the plotlines that have been hanging around for the majority of the season, it also sets up enough to make me very curious as to see where the show is going to pick up next year. Basically, the finale is everything you can ask for in a comedy finale - it's extremely funny, it has some excellent character moments, and it sets up the next season in a way that makes me extremely anxious to get through the summer and see where these characters end up in the fall. It's a perfect finale to cap off an excellent sophomore season. A
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)
04/07 - Barney Miller - The Complete Seventh Season
04/07 - The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series
04/07 - The Crazy Ones - The Complete First Season
04/07 - Frasier - The Complete Series
04/07 - King of the Hill - The Complete 9th Season
04/07 - King of the Hill - The Complete 10th Season
04/07 - 1600 Penn - The Complete Season 1
04/07 - Wanda at Large - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
04/07 - Wilfred - The Complete Season 4
04/14 - Growing Pains - The Complete Fourth Season (WBShop.com)
04/21 - What's Happening!! - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
04/28 - I Love Lucy - I Love Mom Edition
04/28 - The Jeffersons - Season Seven
04/28 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites: Season 5
04/28 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, April 18
Henry Danger - "The Bucket Trap" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Henry and Charlotte want to tell Jasper that Henry is really Kid Danger. They decide to give Jasper a test secret to prove he's ready.
Bella and the Bulldogs - "Bulldog Buddies" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Troy's feelings get hurt when his younger brother chooses Bella, instead of him, as his football mentor. Pepper worries about her future with Sawyer when her parents forbid her from having a boyfriend. Guest Star: Damarr Calhoun.
Sunday, April 19
- Brandy Norwood (The Game/Moesha/Thea) - Catch Brandy on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- John Travolta (Welcome Back, Kotter) - Watch John on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- John Stamos (Jake in Progress/Full House/You Again?) - John drops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ron Funches (Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Dick Van Dyke (The Dick Van Dyke Show/The New Dick Van Dyke Show) - Dick is a guest on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jenny Slate (Married/Parks and Recreation) - Jenny appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Josh Gad (The Comedians/1600 Penn/Back to You) - Josh chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Felicity Huffman (Sports Night) - Felicity stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 1am on BET.
- Michael Rapaport (The War at Home) - Michael joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT. He will also be on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 8:15am.
- Suzanne Cryer (Silicon Valley/Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place) - Suzanne talks about what to expect on the second season of Silicon Valley on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick discusses his new film Adult Beginners and talks about saying goodbye to his sketch comedy series Kroll Show on HuffPost Live at 12pm.
- Lily Tomlin (Malibu Country) - Lily discusses her new comedy Grandma and shares details on reuniting with Jane Fonda in the upcoming Netflix series Grace and Frankie (premiering May 8) on HuffPost Live at 12:30pm.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Parks and Recreation/Free Agents) - Kathryn talks about Happyish on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Tamera Mowry (Sister, Sister/Roommates) - Tamera will be on People Now.
- Wendy Raquel Robinson (The Game/The Steve Harvey Show/Minor Adjustments) - Wendy is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.