Tuesday, May 14, 2013
ABC Upfront 2013-14: Fall 2013 Schedule; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Elaine's Big Day" - Season Finale Airing Tonight on Fox
8:00PM Dancing with the Stars
8:00PM Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (NEW!)
9:00PM The Goldbergs (NEW!)
9:30PM Trophy Wife (NEW!)
10:00PM Lucky 7 (NEW!)
8:00PM The Middle
8:30PM Back in the Game (NEW!)
9:00PM Modern Family
9:30PM Super Fun Night (NEW!)
8:00PM Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (NEW!)
9:00PM Grey's Anatomy
8:00PM Last Man Standing
8:30PM The Neighbors
9:00PM Shark Tank
8:00PM Saturday Night College Football
7:00PM America's Funniest Home Videos
8:00PM Once Upon a Time
10:00PM Betrayal (NEW!)
New Mid-Season: Killer Women (Drama), Mind Games (Drama), Resurrection (Drama, Sundays at 10pm in January), Mixology (Comedy), The Quest (Reality/Alternative Series, Sundays at 8pm in January)
Returning Mid-Season: The Bachelor, Suburgatory, and The Taste
NOTES: ABC has announced their fall schedule and we have some notes on the schedule. Thirteen new series have been picked up: five new comedies, seven new dramas and one reality/alternative series. Dancing with the Stars will now air on a single night on Mondays from 8-10pm, integrating the performance show and results show into one night and making each episode action-packed event television. Tuesdays feature all-new series, with two new dramas at 8pm and 10pm and a comedy block at 9pm. Wednesdays will have two new comedies. Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, the Once Upon a Time spin-off, will lead off Thursdays at 8pm. New midseason series include Killer Women, Mind Games, Resurrection, Mixology and The Quest. Returning series at midseason will be The Bachelor and The Taste. A Disney•Pixar special, Toy Story of Terror, featuring the original voice cast from the hit film will premiere in October.
Discuss ABC's 2013-14 line-up and also you can view complete program information.
On the next...New Girl:
Fox's Tuesday adorkable sitcom starring Zooey Deschanel airs Tuesdays at 9:00pm and we have just watched the season finale that airs tonight (May 14). Singer, songwriter and actress Taylor Swift makes a cameo appearance as a wedding guest, and actor/director Rob Reiner returns in his role as Jess' dad, Bob Day. In the season finale tonight, "Elaine's Big Day," Cece's (Hannah Simone) wedding day finds Jess (Zooey Deschanel) and Nick (Jake Johnson) making a decision about their relationship. Meanwhile, Schmidt (Max Greenfield) schemes with a typically overenthusiastic Winston (Lamorne Morris) to sabotage the nuptials, although a shocking announcement may be bigger than anything he plans.
The great thing about New Girl's season finale is that it actually feels like a season finale. That seems like a given, but it's not necessarily always the case with sitcoms that a season finale is going to be a big, important episode. But it is definitely the case with New Girl - the finale had a lot of ends to tie up, as this season has seen the show play around with a lot of interesting developments with its characters. The most notable example is the Jess/Nick dynamic, but you also have Schmidt navigating the rocky pastures of his love life, as well as Cece realizing that she might need to start settling down if she wants to start a family. "Elaine's Big Day" addresses all of these points in ways that not only make a lot of sense with the show's characters, but in ways to make the finale a legitimately exciting experience.
There's honestly not much I can reveal here without spoiling the entire episode, but I will say that the show's build-up to the resolution for all of these plot-lines is seriously enthralling - I don't remember the last time I was this interested in seeing how the plot of a sitcom episode unfolded. The show does a great job of pacing the episode perfectly to keep us interested in what's going on right until the end. Additionally, even with so much plot, the show doesn't forget to be funny - the finale is not only exciting but also seriously hilarious, demonstrating just how comfortably New Girl has found its comic voice this year. While the finale ties up most of the plotlines that have been hanging around for the majority of the season, it also sets up enough to make me very curious as to see where the show is going to pick up next year. Basically, the finale is everything you can ask for in a comedy finale - it's extremely funny, it has some excellent character moments, and it sets up the next season in a way that makes me extremely anxious to get through the summer and see where these characters end up in the fall. It's a perfect finale to cap off an excellent sophomore season. A
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)
06/02 - Parks and Recreation - Season Seven - The Farewell Season
06/02 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series
06/02 - Soap - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
06/02 - The Abbott and Costello Show - The Ultimate Collection
06/09 - The Facts of Life - Season Six
06/16 - The Cosby Show - Season 7 (Mill Creek)
06/16 - The Cosby Show - Season 8 (Mill Creek)
06/16 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 7 & 8 (Mill Creek)
06/16 - Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series
06/16 - The Odd Couple - The Complete Series
06/16 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Twelfth and Final Season
06/16 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Series
06/23 - George Lopez - The Complete Fourth Season
06/23 - Workaholics - Season Five (Blu-ray)
06/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 3 (MPI Home Video)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, June 29
2 Broke Girls - "And the Move-In Meltdown" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Max, Caroline, Earl and Han help Oleg move into Sophie’s apartment until she begins turning away all of his things.
Mike & Molly - "The World According to Peggy" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Molly plans a party after hearing that Peggy is suddenly retiring.
Odd Mom Out - "Brooklandia" (Bravo, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Jill falls in love with the down-to-earth moms in attendance at a friend's backyard party in Brooklyn, then she realizes the grass may not always be greener on the other side.
Monday, June 29
- Jack Black (The Brink) - Watch Jack on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jeff Garlin (The Goldbergs/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Jeff appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) - Melissa is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Anna Faris (Mom) - Anna appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt/30 Rock) - Tituss is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zach Woods (Silicon Valley/Playing House/The Office) - Zach appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Denis Leary (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll/The Job) - Denis speaks about the series Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Joey McIntyre (The McCarthys) - Joey is a guest on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira ShoW, so check your local listings.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Jada talks about Magic Mike XXL on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am, on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT and on People Now. She also appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- Ellie Kemper (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt/The Office) - Ellie stops by NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry appears on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.