Wednesday, May 29, 2013
ABC Family Orders 4th Season of Melissa & Joey; Episodic Reviews: Melissa & Joey - "Works for Me" and Baby Daddy - "I'm Not That Guy" - Season Premieres Airing Tonight on ABC Family
Along with series stars Melissa Joan Hart, Joey Lawrence, Taylor Spreitler and Nick Robinson, the upcoming third season features such notable guest stars as Sterling Knight, Shannon Elizabeth, Trevor Donovan, Marla Sokoloff, Marissa Jaret Winokur, Jaime Pressly and Doris Roberts, who will be appearing in two episodes as Joe's grandmother. The series is executive-produced by Bob Young & David Kendall, Paula Hart, Melissa Joan Hart and Joey Lawrence. The series follows local politician and former wild child Mel Burke (Hart) who employs down on his luck "manny" Joe Longo (Lawrence) as she raises her teenaged niece (Spreitler) and nephew (Robinson). Melissa & Joey ranks as ABC Family's highest comedy debut ever in Total Viewers, and its second season wrapped as the series best to date in several key demos, including Adults 18-49, Women 18-34 and Viewers 12-34. The third season premieres tonight...read our review below!
On the next...Melissa & Joey:
ABC Family's New Comedy Wednesday sitcom starring Melissa Joan Hart and Joey Lawrence, airs Wednesday nights at 8:00pm and we have just watched the season premiere that airs tonight (May 29). In the season premiere, "Works for Me," Joe (Joey Lawrence) pursues a new job opportunity, sending Mel (Melissa Joan Hart) into a panic when she realizes he may actually leave. But the job is not quite what Joe expected, causing him to reevaluate his place in the house, and Mel scheming to prove how much everyone needs him. Meanwhile Lennox (Taylor Spreitler) thinks her artist boyfriend Zander (guest star Sterling Knight) may have found another muse, and Ryder's (Nick Robinson) class trip has an unexpected outcome.
We love this show! It's like Who's the Boss? and that's a good thing. On this season premiere, we leave off where we left off on the second season finale. Joe is still on the verge of leaving Mel's household for another job, since he can't be a temporary manny forever. Mel of course wants him to stay and tries every way possible to keep him but she makes it seem like she doesn't really want him. We all can see that she does really want him, but the only person who can't see that it seems is Joe. Classic sitcom plotline but it works because Melissa Joan Hart and Joey Lawrence have such great chemistry. It's like Tony Danza and Judith Light all over again. They both mesh well with the kids as well. The kids are the niece and nephew of Mel, if you didn't know. Back to Mel and Joe, we are waiting and waiting for them to get together but it seems like it is not going to happen right away. We had a kiss at the end of the season one finale but nothing more since. As you just read above, we're going to have more than 15 episodes this season (15 in the summer and then 20 more in 2014, plus another 20 for season four), so we will have plenty of Mel and Joe moments, I'm sure. Just be patient, I guess.
The storylines with the kids were decent as well. It's hilarious what Ryder does but at the same time a real life situation that families can learn from. I'll just say, I didn't expect that from Ryder, but surprises are always good on sitcoms. Meanwhile, Lennox has a story with her boyfriend Zander that is pretty well done as well. He is a great artist and draws Lennox all the time, but when Lennox sees another girl...she gets jealous and tries to find out who this girl is. Is he cheating? Tune in and see. It's a great opener the third season and I think this show now can go deep since it has some security of lasting at least 100 episodes. As the theme song goes, "it's all good, it's ok, it's all right," is underestimating this show, "it's great" is more like it. B+
On the next...Baby Daddy:
ABC Family's New Comedy Wednesday sitcom starring an ensemble young cast lead by Chelsea Kane, airs Wednesday nights at 8:30pm and we have just watched the season premiere that airs tonight (May 29). In the season premiere, "I'm Not That Guy," Ben (Jean-Luc Bilodeau) thinks he might like Riley (Chelsea Kane) and tries to convince her he's changed his playboy ways. Riley invites Ben to be her date at a work party, but Ben's efforts to prove he is dependable fall short. Danny (Derek Theler) hopes to come to Riley's rescue but he arrives only to find Riley getting friendly with another man. Meanwhile, Tucker (Tahj Mowry) schemes to go out with a model and Bonnie (Melissa Peterman) attempts to get to know a handsome stranger...with a little help from Emma.
Man this show is good. It has the relationships and style of Boy Meets World. This series is fresh and hip and I think it is going to explode this season. The season premiere brings the goods and the triangle is in full force. As we saw on the second season finale, Ben finally is into Riley! Riley has been into Ben for so long, but he wasn't seeing it. BUT...Ben's brother Danny is into Riley, but Riley doesn't see it. Relationships can be so tricky! In this episode, we are getting closer to the Ben-Riley match, but will it actually happen? Ben says he has changed and is no longer "that guy" that he used to be, so Riley invites him to her law firm party. Without giving anything away, Ben has an "emergency" and Danny fills in but even that doesn't go as planned. It's chaos for Riley, but this is good because we see her with both Ben and Danny. I honestly don't know who is a better fit for her, as I'm rooting for both. Tucker brings in the laughs when he goes out with a tall model. He is "climbing up!" And if you thought Tucker was funny, Ben and Danny's mother Bonnie brings more laughs when she meets a stranger at the bar while watching Emma.
The latter minutes of the episode brings in a surprise and Kyle XY fans will love it, as Matt Dallas appears. We only get a taste of him this week, but more of him is to come next Wednesday (which we will also review). We won't reveal who he is playing yet, but no, he isn't playing Kyle XY, unfortunately. I wonder if we will get a reference to that series soon? Anyway, this is an excellent episode and the storyline is very well done. It is setting up to be an even better season and the race is on to grab Riley. We just don't know who it will be yet. I mean, neither brother knows that the other wants Riley. Well, maybe Danny knows that Ben now wants Riley...but Ben doesn't know how Danny feels about Riley. Come on back next week for our review of the second episode, which in essence is part two of the season premiere. Yep, this episode's arc continues next week! This episode is funny, fresh and fools with love! Tune in! A-
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, March 30
2 Broke Girls - "And the Zero Tolerance" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Max and Caroline attempt to bring in extra money to help pay off their bank loan by taking second jobs as a pastry chef and a hostess at a chic restaurant. Sandra Bernhard guest stars as Joe, the owner of the high-end restaurant.
Mike & Molly - "Cocktails and Calamine" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Molly is nervous about Mike attending a celebratory party her publisher puts on for her and Peggy.
American Dad - "The Shrink" (TBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Stan goes to a shrink after he sees a couple die in a car crash; Roger and Klaus study for a wine tasting.
Monday, March 30
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Stark Raving Mad/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Watch Neil on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family/Encore! Encore!/Charlie Lawrence) - Nathan is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Kristen Schaal (The Last Man on Earth/The Hotwives of Orlando/30 Rock) - Kristen visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Becki Newton (Weird Loners/The Goodwin Games/How I Met Your Mother) - Becki appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC. Becki and Zachary Knighton also talk about Weird Loners on Good Day LA on Fox 11 LA KTTV in Los Angeles.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Alyssa Milano (Who's the Boss?/Romantically Challenged) - Alyssa guest hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Regina King (227) - Regina chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy talks about the game show Monopoly Millionaires’ Club on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Hilary Duff (Younger/Lizzie McGuire) - Hilary appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Full House) - Candace discusses her new Hallmark Movies & Mysteries original A Bone to Pick: An Aurora Teagarden Mystery on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kevin Rahm (I Hate My Teenage Daughter) - Kevin talks about what to expect on the final season of his popular show Mad Men on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Sutton Foster (Younger) - Sutton discusses her starring role in TV Land's Younger and talks about her exciting solo debut at Carnegie Hall on HuffPost Live at 3:40pm.
- Rob Corddry (The Winner) - Rob is a guest on SportsNation at 3pm on ESPN2.
- Garcelle Beauvais (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Garcelle guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee is a guest on VH1's Big Morning Buzz Live at 9am.
- The Cast of Younger - Patricia Field, Sutton Foster, Hilary Duff, Debi Mazar, Miriam Shor, Nico Tortorella and creator Darren Star are guests on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.