Friday, March 29, 2013
FX to Launch FXX, New Spin-off Network, with Reruns of Parks and Rec and More; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 1, 2013)
On Monday, September 2, FX Networks will launch FXX, a new network aimed at young adult viewers. With the addition of FXX, FX Networks will become a suite of three networks consisting of FX, FXX and FXM (formerly know as Fox Movie Channel). FXX will be available in 74 million homes in year one, making it one of the most widely distributed entertainment networks ever for an ad-supported cable network in its inaugural year. FXX initially will be built on a foundation of original comedy series, movies and acquired series, and expand to include original drama series, all primarily designed to attract young adults 18-34. Before we get into FXX, we'll talk about what this means for FX and FXM. FX, the flagship of FX Networks, will continue to offer award-winning original comedy and drama series, movies and acquired series targeted to Adults 18-49. FX will increase the number of drama series and begin offering limited series and miniseries. FXM will continue to be home to prestige movies, and related short-form original programming - as its universe grows, it will begin to televise its own limited series and miniseries.
FXX will be anchored by the hit original series It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The League, two of the finest comedies on television and two of the highest-rated among Adults 18-24. These series, along with the series Legit, will move from FX to FXX with the launch of the network this fall. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's ninth season will air on FXX this fall, and the network has also placed an order for a tenth season that will air in the fall of 2014. The League's already announced fifth season will now air on FXX this fall, and the network is announcing a sixth season pickup that will air on FXX in the fall of 2014. The new critically-acclaimed comedy Legit's first season will end on FX Thursday, April 11 at 10:30PM ET/PT. The show has officially been picked up for a second season, and will be moving to FXX, returning in early 2014. In addition, late night comedy series Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell, will go from from weekly to a five-night a week late night strip beginning this Fall with the launch of FXX. Totally Biased will debut its new format this fall with the launch of FXX with 130 new original episodes, airing Monday-Thursday at 11:00 PM ET/PT, with Best of the Week compilation episodes Sunday nights at 11:00 PM ET/PT. Until then, new episodes of Totally Biased in its currently weekly iteration will resume on FX on Thursday, May 9 at 11:00pm ET/PT. One pick-up that was announced by FX Networks today will remain on FX. The critically-acclaimed drama series Justified, starring Timothy Olyphant, will continue to run on FX. Season five begins production this fall and will air on FX in January 2014. Season four is currently airing, with the season finale slated to air next Tuesday, April 2, at 10:00 PM ET/PT.
As far as acquisitions, FXX will bulk up on younger skewing comedy series and dramas. They have gotten off-network rerun rights to a number of sitcoms and dramas. They'll air reruns of How I Met Your Mother, which currently air on FX, but there's more! Other series that have been announced so far are Parks and Recreation, Rescue Me, Arrested Development, Sports Night and Freaks & Geeks. FXX will also feature blockbuster movies in all dayparts. As for FX, they also will televise blockbuster movies in all dayparts, with a library unmatched by any basic cable network. The FX schedule will also include the acquired series Anger Management, Two and a Half Men and, coming in 2014, Mike & Molly. Presumably, How I Met Your Mother will be moving to FXX, but there is chance it will air on both FX and FXX. We hope to have more news on the acquisitions for both FX and FXX, including if there are more and what the schedule will be, but that won't be until this summer when we get into our annual fall schedules barrage! As far as development, FX will be bulking up on that and have a lot of series in the works. FX has ordered its first limited series, Fargo, from MGM Television. The series is adapted by novelist/writer Noah Hawley from the award-winning film of the same title and will run for 10 episodes in Spring 2014. And there are many other limited series, dramas, and comedy pilots in the works, so FX will still be very much in the original game even when some of the originals will move to FXX. Stay with us for continued updates!
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of April 1-5, 2013, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, April 1, 2013
- Matthew Perry (Go On/Mr. Sunshine/Friends) - Watch Matthew on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Shia LaBeouf (Even Stevens) - Shia appears on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Kristen Schaal (Bob's Burgers/30 Rock) - Kristen is a guest on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi stops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Justin Bartha (The New Normal) - Justin drops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Seth Green (Greg the Bunny/Four Kings) - Seth chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Anthony Anderson (Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Regina King (227) - Co-host Clinton Kelly teams with Regina to create cowboy rice and fried eggs on a repeat of The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock/The Tracy Morgan Show) - Catch Tracy on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Lena Dunham (Girls) - Lena appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Busy Philipps (Cougar Town) - Busy is part of the guest panel on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Betty is a guest on a repeat of Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
- Brooke Shields (Suddenly Susan) - Brooke guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Louis C.K. (Louie) - Watch Louis on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl) - Max visits The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Sarah Silverman (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Sarah is a guest on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- T.J. Miller (Carpoolers) - T.J. is part of the guest panel on a special one-hour episode of Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Jeremy Sisto (Suburgatory) - Jeremy stops by LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) - Aubrey chats on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Jennie Garth (What I Like About You) - Jennie is a guest on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Keshia Knight Pulliam (The Cosby Show/Tyler Perry's House of Payne) - Keshia appears on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Beth Grant (The Mindy Project) - Beth talks about her southern roots, the challenges she faced becoming an actress and her daughter who also wishes to be an actor just like her parents on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Sarah Chalke (How to Live with Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life/Scrubs/Roseanne) - Sarah chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. How to Live with Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life premieres on ABC on April 3 at 9:30pm ET-PT.
- Terry Crews (Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Watch Terry on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Kunal Nayyar (The Big Bang Theory) - Kunal appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Molly Shannon (Kath & Kim) - Molly is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly) - Tune in to see Melissa on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Shia LaBeouf (Even Stevens) - Shia continues to make the rounds on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- D.L. Hughley (The Hughleys) - D.L. and dance partner Cheryl Burke visit The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Aziz Ansari (Parks and Recreation) - Aziz chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Catch Chelsea on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS. She will also be on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Jane Levy (Suburgatory) - Jane appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Jessica Walter (Retired at 35/Arrested Development) - Jessica visits Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, April 25
The Middle - "Trip and Fall" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Trashy neighbor Rita Glossner (Brooke Shields) talks an apprehensive Frankie into taking a road trip to an unknown destination; Mike takes an embarrassing fall at the quarry and has to deal with even more embarrassment when OSHA is called in to investigate; and Sue attempts to convince Axl to end his estrangement with the family after learning their true feelings about April.
American Housewife - "The Otto Motto" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Taylor keeps quitting school activities, Greg says that Katie, quite the quitter herself, sets a poor example. He challenges her to finally learn French after quitting lessons so long ago, so she reluctantly enrolls in a college class.
Speechless - "S-I-- SICK D-A-- DAY" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Maya gets sick, Jimmy is forced to be the mom of the house, and Dylan becomes Kenneth’s replacement for JJ when Kenneth also gets sick. Jimmy ends up doing well with Maya’s normal duties, but he tries to keep it from her to avoid her feeling bad. Meanwhile, JJ protects Dylan from a boy she’s interested in. And despite its illness, the family bands together and pulls an all-nighter to finish Ray’s school project.
Imaginary Mary - "In a World Where Worlds Collide" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Alice freaks out when her friends want to meet Ben. But when an outing with everyone goes surprisingly well, Alice wants to meet Ben’s friends. However, Ben is hesitant but devises a plan that will impress Alice; but later, he makes a surprising admission.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Last Ride" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
In what could be their last case as partners, Jake and Charles go to great extremes to apprehend a local bike thief. Terry shockingly isn’t in the lead for “Mr. Nine-Nine” (the detective who has solved the most cases), leaving Rosa determined to boost his ego. Meanwhile, Amy spends some precious time with Holt.
The Mick - "The Implant" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Sabrina tells Mickey she wants to augment her figure, so Mickey decides the best way to dissuade her from doing so is to do a test-run in public. Meanwhile, Jimmy takes Chip and Ben to a baseball game to teach them how to be more masculine.
Great News - "Pilot" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan), a frustrated cable news producer, is horrified when her mom, Carol (Andrea Martin), gets an internship at "The Breakdown." Despite Katie's best efforts, Carol is instantly beloved by the entire office, including blowhard veteran anchor Chuck (John Michael Higgins). But when Katie hits a roadblock while producing a big story, she realizes that maybe having a mom at work isn't such a bad thing.
Great News - "Bear Attack" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) tries to set workplace boundaries with Carol (Andrea Martin), but when a big story about an escaped bear lands in her lap, her mom can't help but meddle. Meanwhile, Greg (Adam Campbell) tries to get Chuck (John Michael Higgins) and Portia (Nicole Richie) to do a little friendly banter at the end of the show.
The Detour - "The Mule" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Robin and Nate live out their action movie fantasies as they make their way to the kids, who are actually doing fine without them.
The Detour - "The Ass" (TBS, 10:30PM ET/PT)
The family reunites, but this time Robin makes a huge mistake.
Tuesday, April 25
- Amanda Peet (Brockmire/Togetherness/Bent) - Catch Amanda on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. She also appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Patton Oswalt (The Goldbergs/The King of Queens) - Patton stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kal Penn (We Are Men/How I Met Your Mother) - Kal is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Sanaa stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Reid Scott (Veep/My Boys) - Reid visits Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Arden Myrin (Working) - Arden appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Andrea Martin (Difficult People/Working the Engels) - Andrea visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Patti will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Andrea Martin (Great News/Difficult People/Working the Engels) - Andrea talks about Good News on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Jason Jones (The Detour) - Jason talks about The Detour on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Ross Lynch (Austin & Ally) - Ross opens up about his new movie My Friend Dahmer on People Now at 8:30am.
- Tim Daly (Wings) - Tim is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Peter Engel (Producer of Saved by the Bell/California Dreams/Hang Time) - Peter dishes about his new memoir I Was Saved by the Bell on the The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Sherri Shepherd (Trial & Error/Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Danny DeVito (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia/Taxi) - Danny appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.