Monday, March 04, 2013
Carol Burnett Reunion on Hot in Cleveland Coming in August; Remembering Bonnie Franklin of One Day at a Time
TV Land announced that television comedy legends Carol Burnett and Tim Conway will guest star on Hot in Cleveland in an episode currently scheduled to air in August. Burnett will play Victoria's (Wendie Malick) mother Penny, a local TV legend and puppeteer on a children's program. Conway will make his return to the series as Nick, Elka's (Betty White) ex-boyfriend, but this time around, Nick has his heart set on Penny. Burnett and Conway are the latest in a long line of extraordinary guest stars who have appeared on the sitcom, including Regis Philbin, Mary Tyler Moore, Heather Locklear, the late Bonnie Franklin and many more. Carol and Tim's episode will be taping in front of a live studio audience on Friday, March 22! Get your tickets today if you're in the Los Angeles area! The Carol Burnett Show aired originally on CBS from 1967-1978 and starred Carol Burnett, Harvey Korman, Vicki Lawrence, Lyle Waggoner, and Tim Conway. The hit sketch comedy series had Tim Conway join the series in season 8 and he appeared on the last four seasons. The cast reunited in 2005 at the TV Land Awards (picture below) and in three reunion specials in 1993, 2001 and 2004.
TV Land's hit original sitcom will return this summer with the second half of season four with a LIVE episode airing Wednesday, June 19, 2013, at 10pm ET. The west coast will receive the live-to-tape version three hours later at 10pm PT. Hot in Cleveland, which is regularly taped in front of a live audience, stars television favorites Valerie Bertinelli (One Day at a Time), Jane Leeves (Frasier), Wendie Malick (Just Shoot Me!) and the legendary Betty White (The Golden Girls). Stay with us for a premiere date for Carol Burnett and Tim Conway's episode this August!
Actress Bonnie Franklin, best known for her starring role as divorced mother Ann Romano in One Day at a Time, has died. She died on March 1 at her Los Angeles home from complications of pancreatic cancer. Ms. Franklin was 69.
Franklin made her television debut on The Colgate Comedy Hour at age 9. She had an uncredited role in the Alfred Hitchcock film The Wrong Man in 1956. Her early television guest appearances included Shower of Stars, Cavalcade of Stars, Mr. Novak, Profiles in Courage, Karen, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Gidget, Please Don't Eat the Daisies and The Munsters. In 1970, she made her debut on Broadway in the musical Applause. Her work in the show-business drama, which starred Lauren Bacall, won her a Tony nomination.
Franklin's signature role came in 1975 when she landed the role of Ann Romano in One Day at a Time. She was the divorced mother of Julie (Mackenzie Phillips) and Barbara (Valerie Bertinelli) in the series, which was set in Indianapolis. Pat Harrington, Jr. played the building superintendent Dwayne Schneider. The popular CBS sitcom ran for 9 seasons and 209 episodes from 1975-1984. Franklin received an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series in 1982. She also received two Golden Globe nominations in 1982-1983 for Best Performance by an Actress in a TV-Series - Comedy/Musical. In the show's final season in 1984, she directed two episodes of the series. The cast reunited several times, including a 2005 CBS reunion special and a 2008 Today show appearance on NBC. In 2012, Franklin and the rest of the cast received the "Innovator Award" at the 10th Annual TV Land Awards.
After One Day at a Time ended in 1984, she continued to make guest appearances, direct episodic series and worked in regional theater. In 1987, she starred as Sister Margaret in the television movie Sister Margaret and the Saturday Night Ladies. She made guest appearances in Burke's Law, Almost Perfect, Touched by an Angel and The Young and the Restless. In 2011, she reunited with Bertinelli in the TV Land sitcom Hot in Cleveland. She played Agnieszka, the mother of Bertinelli's character's boyfriend. Her directing credits included episodes of Karen's Song, Charles in Charge and The Munsters Today.
Survivors include her 101-year-old mother, Claire Franklin; two stepchildren; and two grandchildren. Her second husband, film and television producer Marvin Minoff, died in 2009 after being married for 29 years.
We were fortunate enough to see her at the TV Land Awards last year. She was quite kind to talk to us. She was a very talented actress in the groundbreaking One Day at a Time. It would be great to see the series again in syndication and have more seasons available on DVD. Ms. Franklin will be deeply missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.