Monday, March 04, 2013
Carol Burnett Reunion on Hot in Cleveland Coming in August; Remembering Bonnie Franklin of One Day at a Time
TV Land announced that television comedy legends Carol Burnett and Tim Conway will guest star on Hot in Cleveland in an episode currently scheduled to air in August. Burnett will play Victoria's (Wendie Malick) mother Penny, a local TV legend and puppeteer on a children's program. Conway will make his return to the series as Nick, Elka's (Betty White) ex-boyfriend, but this time around, Nick has his heart set on Penny. Burnett and Conway are the latest in a long line of extraordinary guest stars who have appeared on the sitcom, including Regis Philbin, Mary Tyler Moore, Heather Locklear, the late Bonnie Franklin and many more. Carol and Tim's episode will be taping in front of a live studio audience on Friday, March 22! Get your tickets today if you're in the Los Angeles area! The Carol Burnett Show aired originally on CBS from 1967-1978 and starred Carol Burnett, Harvey Korman, Vicki Lawrence, Lyle Waggoner, and Tim Conway. The hit sketch comedy series had Tim Conway join the series in season 8 and he appeared on the last four seasons. The cast reunited in 2005 at the TV Land Awards (picture below) and in three reunion specials in 1993, 2001 and 2004.
TV Land's hit original sitcom will return this summer with the second half of season four with a LIVE episode airing Wednesday, June 19, 2013, at 10pm ET. The west coast will receive the live-to-tape version three hours later at 10pm PT. Hot in Cleveland, which is regularly taped in front of a live audience, stars television favorites Valerie Bertinelli (One Day at a Time), Jane Leeves (Frasier), Wendie Malick (Just Shoot Me!) and the legendary Betty White (The Golden Girls). Stay with us for a premiere date for Carol Burnett and Tim Conway's episode this August!
Actress Bonnie Franklin, best known for her starring role as divorced mother Ann Romano in One Day at a Time, has died. She died on March 1 at her Los Angeles home from complications of pancreatic cancer. Ms. Franklin was 69.
Franklin made her television debut on The Colgate Comedy Hour at age 9. She had an uncredited role in the Alfred Hitchcock film The Wrong Man in 1956. Her early television guest appearances included Shower of Stars, Cavalcade of Stars, Mr. Novak, Profiles in Courage, Karen, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Gidget, Please Don't Eat the Daisies and The Munsters. In 1970, she made her debut on Broadway in the musical Applause. Her work in the show-business drama, which starred Lauren Bacall, won her a Tony nomination.
Franklin's signature role came in 1975 when she landed the role of Ann Romano in One Day at a Time. She was the divorced mother of Julie (Mackenzie Phillips) and Barbara (Valerie Bertinelli) in the series, which was set in Indianapolis. Pat Harrington, Jr. played the building superintendent Dwayne Schneider. The popular CBS sitcom ran for 9 seasons and 209 episodes from 1975-1984. Franklin received an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series in 1982. She also received two Golden Globe nominations in 1982-1983 for Best Performance by an Actress in a TV-Series - Comedy/Musical. In the show's final season in 1984, she directed two episodes of the series. The cast reunited several times, including a 2005 CBS reunion special and a 2008 Today show appearance on NBC. In 2012, Franklin and the rest of the cast received the "Innovator Award" at the 10th Annual TV Land Awards.
After One Day at a Time ended in 1984, she continued to make guest appearances, direct episodic series and worked in regional theater. In 1987, she starred as Sister Margaret in the television movie Sister Margaret and the Saturday Night Ladies. She made guest appearances in Burke's Law, Almost Perfect, Touched by an Angel and The Young and the Restless. In 2011, she reunited with Bertinelli in the TV Land sitcom Hot in Cleveland. She played Agnieszka, the mother of Bertinelli's character's boyfriend. Her directing credits included episodes of Karen's Song, Charles in Charge and The Munsters Today.
Survivors include her 101-year-old mother, Claire Franklin; two stepchildren; and two grandchildren. Her second husband, film and television producer Marvin Minoff, died in 2009 after being married for 29 years.
We were fortunate enough to see her at the TV Land Awards last year. She was quite kind to talk to us. She was a very talented actress in the groundbreaking One Day at a Time. It would be great to see the series again in syndication and have more seasons available on DVD. Ms. Franklin will be deeply missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, February 22
The Goldbergs - "So Swayze It's Crazy" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Adam sees his friend on television, he asks Beverly for her help to become an actor, so Beverly enlists his friend’s mom Edie, who is a kid talent agent in town. Unfortunately, Edie insists Adam can only get “nerd” roles, so Beverly goes on a quest to make Adam a teenage heartthrob. Meanwhile, Barry decides to embrace the punk lifestyle, and Murray attempts to become more involved in Erica’s life, but it backfires.
Speechless - "O-S-- OSCAR P-A-- PARTY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the Dimeos throw their annual Oscar party with other special-needs families, Maya feels threatened by new mom Becca, who seems a little too perfect. Meanwhile, Jimmy encourages the fathers at the party to let loose while Ray tries to impress a girl by pretending to be someone he is not.
Modern Family - "Heavy Is the Head" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Despite their lofty hopes, Phil and Jay’s property investment might turn out to be a bust, forcing Phil to rethink his original dream. Meanwhile, Cam lands in the hospital due to a head injury and refuses to have an MRI thanks to a traumatic incident with a well when he was a child. Determined to finally impress Claire and keep her from re-gifting her birthday present, Gloria surprises her with a day of luxury at the office. However, after Claire had to implement some rather harsh budget cuts at work, a massage at her desk may not be sending the right message.
black-ish - "One Angry Man" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre is forced to participate in jury duty after Junior responds to the summons that was thrown away. The case is supposed to be open and shut, but when Dre sees that the defendant is a young African American, he feels a civic responsibility to give him a fair trial. Meanwhile, Bow decides to let the kids swear in the house since they are more open with her that way, but she and Ruby soon regret the decision.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Tends Bar" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It's Valentine's Day and Paddy's is packed with customers. Dennis implores the gang to do one day of actual work but everyone else is distracted by a mystery crate Cricket spotted in the alley. Eventually, the gang becomes convinced Dennis really wants them to work on their relationships and everyone shares their grievances without much resolution.
Man Seeking Woman - "Dolphin" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
When her mom becomes obsessed with Josh's wedding, Liz seeks out her estranged father (Peter Gallagher).
Schitt's Creek - "General Store" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
David comes up with a new business venture; Alexis adjusts to her first day of school.
Wednesday, February 22
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and George Clooney (The Facts of Life/Roseanne) - Tom and George are guests on a repeat of the 2012 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ariana Grande (Sam & Cat) - Ariana drops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Kelly is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly)- Billy appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Ultimate Beastmaster on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2pm.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Matt Shively (The Real O'Neals/True Jackson, VP) - Matt is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Justin Bartha (The New Normal) - Justin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Will talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette dishes about the new season of SuperMansion on Crackle on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Mike Epps (Uncle Buck/Survivor's Remorse) - Mike is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Eva Longoria (Telenovela) - Eva chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.