Monday, April 16, 2012
(Pat Harrington and Bonnie Franklin / Fran Drescher)
Celebrity icons from television, film and music joined TV Land and host Kelly Ripa for an unforgettable evening on Saturday night at the TV Land Awards 10th Anniversary celebration, which returned to New York for the second year in a row! The gala event, which premieres on TV Land on Sunday, April 29 at 9pm ET/PT, honored Aretha Franklin (Music Icon Award) and the casts of Laverne & Shirley (Fan Favorite Award), One Day at a Time (Innovator Award), In Living Color (Groundbreaking Award), Murphy Brown (Impact Award) and Pee-wee's Playhouse (Pop Culture Award).
We were on hand on Saturday night at the "Black Carpet" (as you know, if you followed our tweets) where most of the stars came before going inside to the event. We got to talk to Bonnie Franklin of One Day at a Time, and she told us she doesn't expect her to return for another episode of Hot in Cleveland, with her former One Day at a Time co-star Valerie Bertinelli. Here's hoping Mackenzie Phillips, Pat Harrington, Glenn Scarpelli and Richard Masur guest star soon! We also talked to T'Keyah Crystal Keymah of In Living Color on why she thought the show was groundbreaking and if she talks to Bill Cosby still. T'Keyah co-starred with Bill Cosby on the 1996-2000 sitcom Cosby, playing his daughter. She said she talks to him still and thanked me for reminding her to call him! We also saw on the "Black Carpet," Carrie Ann Inaba, a former Fly Girl on In Living Color and now of course a judge on Dancing with the Stars. She mentioned that her favorite show of all-time is Happy Days and she would LOVE to see Ron Howard as a contestant on Dancing with the Stars! Ralph Macchio, who will be guest starring on Happily Divorced, was also on the "Black Carpet" and mentioned his favorite shows were Taxi, Cheers, M*A*S*H, Happy Days, Seinfeld. Among the other stars we saw on the carpet were host Kelly Ripa, Faith Ford, Valerie Bertinelli, Tommy Davidson, Fran Drescher, Aviva Frescher, Diane English, David Alan Grier, Pat Harrington, Pee-Wee Herman, Charles Kimbrough, Laurieann Gibson, Lisa Marie Todd, Deidre Lang, David Lander, Penny Marshall, Michael McKean, Kelly Coffield Park, Mackenzie Phillips, Joe Regalbuto, Thomas Roberts, Grant Shaud, Keenen Ivory Wayans, Kim Wayans, Shawn Wayans, Marlon Wayans, and Cindy Williams! Fun! And that was just the "Black Carpet!"
(Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams)
(Mackenzie Phillips and Bonnie Franklin)
Memorable moments on the actual show on this night of top-notch entertainment included a hilarious opening sketch (with 13 costume changes!) by second-time host Kelly Ripa, who started the show coming down from the ceiling dressed as Catwoman from Batman. Later, Murphy Brown co-star Faith Ford (who starred with host Kelly Ripa on Hope & Faith) danced like her alter ego on the show, Corky, while Jim Carrey gave a heartfelt speech when accepting the Groundbreaking Award with his fellow cast members of In Living Color. The TV Land Awards 10th Anniversary also featured amazing performances by Music Icon Award-winner Aretha Franklin singing her hit songs "RESPECT," "Chain of Fools," "I Came To Lift Him Up" and "Ombra Mai Fu,"(some of which will be posted exclusively on TVLand.com). To close the night, the In Living Color Fly Girls danced out the show with Kelly Ripa to The B-52's "Rock Lobster."
Among the presenters, Katie Couric presented the Fan Favorite Award to the cast of Laverne & Shirley. Host Kelly Ripa presented the Impact Award to the cast of Murphy Brown. Whoopi Goldberg presented the Groundbreaking Award to the cast of In Living Color. Mike Myers came by to present the Pop Culture Award to "Pee-wee Herman" for Pee-wee's Playhouse. Fran Drescher, star of TV Land's Happily Divorced, presented the Innovator Award to the cast of One Day at a Time, which included Valerie Bertinelli, who now stars on TV Land's Hot in Cleveland (which leads into Happily Divorced every Wednesday night). And finally, The Music Icon Award was given to celebrated musician and "Queen of Soul" Aretha Franklin, who brought down the house with four of her hit songs and accepted her award from presenter John Legend, who serenaded her on stage. Watch the full 90-minute telecast on Sunday, April 29 at 9:00pm! It was a fun night and we can't wait for you to see it on April 29!
View more photos and videos on our Facebook page.
In other news, Fox has pulled struggling second year comedy Breaking In from the schedule. The series was set to return April 24 after a two-week hiatus so Raising Hope can air its two-part finale, but now Fox will not return Breaking In. Instead, repeats of New Girl will air on April 24, May 1 and May 8. May 15 and May 22 Fox has the final two episodes of the season of Glee, at a special time. There is no word yet on if and when the Christian Slater comedy Breaking In will return. Perhaps sometime in the summer? Fox has only aired five episodes of the thirteen episode order.
Let's hope they schedule it soon, as they are even airing the remaining episode of I Hate My Teenage Daughter this June on Sunday from 7-8pm and this comedy is much better. We want to see the Alyssa Milano guest appearance for this season! Stay with us if Fox does indeed schedule Breaking In again...but a chance for a third season is almost zero now. They don't have your back now, unfortunately.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.