Wednesday, February 27, 2013
TBS Orders Late Night Comedy Show for Fall 2013; Episodic Review: Guys with Kids - "Divorce Party" Airing Tonight on NBC (Cosby Show Reunion!)
This series will mark the first original late night series in the time period since the cancelation of Lopez Tonight. Currently, the network is airing original encores in the time period and reruns of The Office. Stay with us for more news on this series and as we get closer to the date we'll give you scheduling updates on what will air following the series.
On the next...Guys with Kids:
NBC's Jimmy Fallon produced sitcom starring Anthony Anderson airs Wednesday nights at 8:30pm and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (Feb. 27). It's the season finale and features a mini Cosby Show reunion with guest star Keshia Knight Pulliam! In the episode airing tonight, "Divorce Party," Chris (Jesse Bradford) and Sheila (Erinn Hayes) contemplate having another baby together despite being divorced, while Nick (Zach Cregger) vows to do whatever it takes to keep them from getting back together. Later, Nick and Emily (Jamie-Lynn Sigler) plan a divorce party to remind Chris of his horrible past with Sheila. Meanwhile, Marny's (Tempestt Bledsoe) younger sister Bridget (guest star Keshia Knight Pulliam) comes to town and is soon hired as Gary's (Anthony Anderson) assistant.
This is a solid episode. The main draw of the episode of course is the mini-Cosby Show reunion featuring Keshia Knight Pulliam guest starring with her former Cosby sister Tempestt Bledsoe. And they are playing sisters once again! Though they may not be Rudy and Vanessa, the chemistry between the two is certainly there. Their story is about Marny's sister Bridget coming to town. Bridget borrows money a lot and never pays back, so Marny's husband Gary really doesn't like her or trusts her. Marny is giving to her sister but promises Gary that she won't give her any money. And somehow she ends up giving Bridget a job as an assistant to Gary. Without giving too much away, Bridget kind of does well but Gary is skeptical. She's working on Gary's "rapkin" project. The other storyline is with Sheila wanting a baby with Chris, despite them being divorced now, or does she just want another baby? But Nick and Emily are working on a "divorce party" for Chris so he can meet with his high school sweetheart Sage. So does Sheila have a "master plan" to get back together with Chris by wanting another baby? Nick and Emily are trying to stop Chris from making a mistake he might later regret. The divorce party and the baby story kind of clash and we are left with a cliffhanger to end the season! B
Guys with Kids is a solid throwback style comedy, like we mentioned in our pilot review way back in September. It feels like a '90s sitcom but that may not be a bad thing. The guest appearance by Keshia Knight Pulliam is really good and her character probably brought Gary's "rapkin" project to another level instead of just being functional. It'll be interesting if she will be back next season, should the series be renewed for a second season. Their is nice balance with all of the storylines in the episode and there doesn't seem to be a main story, so each story seems vital to the episode. This is a solid cast, in particular Anthony Anderson, Jesse Bradford and Jamie-Lynn Sigler. All three of them shine in the season finale (the karaoke scene with Anthony Anderson is hysterical). Watch the season finale because Rudy is all grown-up and looks amazing! It's also funny and has mainstream laughs so everyone will laugh!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, May 22
Angie Tribeca - "License to Drill" (TBS, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Geils lands in trouble when he helps a woman investigate whether her husband is having an affair.
Young & Hungry - "Young & Amnesia" (Freeform, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Gabi attempts to cure Josh's amnesia by re-creating the first time they met.
Baby Daddy - "Daddy's Girl" (Freeform, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Riley is confined to the couch; Ben struggles to answer Emma's questions about her mother.
Monday, May 22
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Watch Chelsea on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. She chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Bloodline on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Michaela Watkins (Casual/Trophy Wife) - Michaela is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Seaton Smith (Mulaney) - Seaton stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Nicole Richie (Great News) - Nicole visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kym Whitley (Young & Hungry/Animal Practice/The Parkers) - Kym guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Tichina Arnold (Survivor's Remorse/Happily Divorced/Everybody Hates Chris/Martin) - Tichina appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Brenda Strong (The Help/Scorch) - Brenda talks about Supergirl on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss joins Clinton Kelly to whip up a delicious delight on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Patti performs a jazz song from her new album on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Loretta Devine and Lil Rel Howery (The Carmichael Show) - Loretta and Lil are guests on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Ellie Reed (Girlboss) - Ellie talks about Girlboss on the AOL Build Show at 5pm.