Wednesday, February 27, 2013
TBS Orders Late Night Comedy Show for Fall 2013; Episodic Review: Guys with Kids - "Divorce Party" Airing Tonight on NBC (Cosby Show Reunion!)
This series will mark the first original late night series in the time period since the cancelation of Lopez Tonight. Currently, the network is airing original encores in the time period and reruns of The Office. Stay with us for more news on this series and as we get closer to the date we'll give you scheduling updates on what will air following the series.
On the next...Guys with Kids:
NBC's Jimmy Fallon produced sitcom starring Anthony Anderson airs Wednesday nights at 8:30pm and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (Feb. 27). It's the season finale and features a mini Cosby Show reunion with guest star Keshia Knight Pulliam! In the episode airing tonight, "Divorce Party," Chris (Jesse Bradford) and Sheila (Erinn Hayes) contemplate having another baby together despite being divorced, while Nick (Zach Cregger) vows to do whatever it takes to keep them from getting back together. Later, Nick and Emily (Jamie-Lynn Sigler) plan a divorce party to remind Chris of his horrible past with Sheila. Meanwhile, Marny's (Tempestt Bledsoe) younger sister Bridget (guest star Keshia Knight Pulliam) comes to town and is soon hired as Gary's (Anthony Anderson) assistant.
This is a solid episode. The main draw of the episode of course is the mini-Cosby Show reunion featuring Keshia Knight Pulliam guest starring with her former Cosby sister Tempestt Bledsoe. And they are playing sisters once again! Though they may not be Rudy and Vanessa, the chemistry between the two is certainly there. Their story is about Marny's sister Bridget coming to town. Bridget borrows money a lot and never pays back, so Marny's husband Gary really doesn't like her or trusts her. Marny is giving to her sister but promises Gary that she won't give her any money. And somehow she ends up giving Bridget a job as an assistant to Gary. Without giving too much away, Bridget kind of does well but Gary is skeptical. She's working on Gary's "rapkin" project. The other storyline is with Sheila wanting a baby with Chris, despite them being divorced now, or does she just want another baby? But Nick and Emily are working on a "divorce party" for Chris so he can meet with his high school sweetheart Sage. So does Sheila have a "master plan" to get back together with Chris by wanting another baby? Nick and Emily are trying to stop Chris from making a mistake he might later regret. The divorce party and the baby story kind of clash and we are left with a cliffhanger to end the season! B
Guys with Kids is a solid throwback style comedy, like we mentioned in our pilot review way back in September. It feels like a '90s sitcom but that may not be a bad thing. The guest appearance by Keshia Knight Pulliam is really good and her character probably brought Gary's "rapkin" project to another level instead of just being functional. It'll be interesting if she will be back next season, should the series be renewed for a second season. Their is nice balance with all of the storylines in the episode and there doesn't seem to be a main story, so each story seems vital to the episode. This is a solid cast, in particular Anthony Anderson, Jesse Bradford and Jamie-Lynn Sigler. All three of them shine in the season finale (the karaoke scene with Anthony Anderson is hysterical). Watch the season finale because Rudy is all grown-up and looks amazing! It's also funny and has mainstream laughs so everyone will laugh!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, April 25
The Middle - "Trip and Fall" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Trashy neighbor Rita Glossner (Brooke Shields) talks an apprehensive Frankie into taking a road trip to an unknown destination; Mike takes an embarrassing fall at the quarry and has to deal with even more embarrassment when OSHA is called in to investigate; and Sue attempts to convince Axl to end his estrangement with the family after learning their true feelings about April.
American Housewife - "The Otto Motto" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Taylor keeps quitting school activities, Greg says that Katie, quite the quitter herself, sets a poor example. He challenges her to finally learn French after quitting lessons so long ago, so she reluctantly enrolls in a college class.
Speechless - "S-I-- SICK D-A-- DAY" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Maya gets sick, Jimmy is forced to be the mom of the house, and Dylan becomes Kenneth’s replacement for JJ when Kenneth also gets sick. Jimmy ends up doing well with Maya’s normal duties, but he tries to keep it from her to avoid her feeling bad. Meanwhile, JJ protects Dylan from a boy she’s interested in. And despite its illness, the family bands together and pulls an all-nighter to finish Ray’s school project.
Imaginary Mary - "In a World Where Worlds Collide" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Alice freaks out when her friends want to meet Ben. But when an outing with everyone goes surprisingly well, Alice wants to meet Ben’s friends. However, Ben is hesitant but devises a plan that will impress Alice; but later, he makes a surprising admission.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Last Ride" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
In what could be their last case as partners, Jake and Charles go to great extremes to apprehend a local bike thief. Terry shockingly isn’t in the lead for “Mr. Nine-Nine” (the detective who has solved the most cases), leaving Rosa determined to boost his ego. Meanwhile, Amy spends some precious time with Holt.
The Mick - "The Implant" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Sabrina tells Mickey she wants to augment her figure, so Mickey decides the best way to dissuade her from doing so is to do a test-run in public. Meanwhile, Jimmy takes Chip and Ben to a baseball game to teach them how to be more masculine.
Great News - "Pilot" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan), a frustrated cable news producer, is horrified when her mom, Carol (Andrea Martin), gets an internship at "The Breakdown." Despite Katie's best efforts, Carol is instantly beloved by the entire office, including blowhard veteran anchor Chuck (John Michael Higgins). But when Katie hits a roadblock while producing a big story, she realizes that maybe having a mom at work isn't such a bad thing.
Great News - "Bear Attack" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) tries to set workplace boundaries with Carol (Andrea Martin), but when a big story about an escaped bear lands in her lap, her mom can't help but meddle. Meanwhile, Greg (Adam Campbell) tries to get Chuck (John Michael Higgins) and Portia (Nicole Richie) to do a little friendly banter at the end of the show.
The Detour - "The Mule" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Robin and Nate live out their action movie fantasies as they make their way to the kids, who are actually doing fine without them.
The Detour - "The Ass" (TBS, 10:30PM ET/PT)
The family reunites, but this time Robin makes a huge mistake.
Tuesday, April 25
- Amanda Peet (Brockmire/Togetherness/Bent) - Catch Amanda on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. She also appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Patton Oswalt (The Goldbergs/The King of Queens) - Patton stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kal Penn (We Are Men/How I Met Your Mother) - Kal is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Sanaa stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Reid Scott (Veep/My Boys) - Reid visits Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Arden Myrin (Working) - Arden appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Andrea Martin (Difficult People/Working the Engels) - Andrea visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Patti will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Andrea Martin (Great News/Difficult People/Working the Engels) - Andrea talks about Good News on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Jason Jones (The Detour) - Jason talks about The Detour on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Ross Lynch (Austin & Ally) - Ross opens up about his new movie My Friend Dahmer on People Now at 8:30am.
- Tim Daly (Wings) - Tim is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Peter Engel (Producer of Saved by the Bell/California Dreams/Hang Time) - Peter dishes about his new memoir I Was Saved by the Bell on the The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Sherri Shepherd (Trial & Error/Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Danny DeVito (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia/Taxi) - Danny appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.