Wednesday, February 27, 2013
TBS Orders Late Night Comedy Show for Fall 2013; Episodic Review: Guys with Kids - "Divorce Party" Airing Tonight on NBC (Cosby Show Reunion!)
This series will mark the first original late night series in the time period since the cancelation of Lopez Tonight. Currently, the network is airing original encores in the time period and reruns of The Office. Stay with us for more news on this series and as we get closer to the date we'll give you scheduling updates on what will air following the series.
On the next...Guys with Kids:
NBC's Jimmy Fallon produced sitcom starring Anthony Anderson airs Wednesday nights at 8:30pm and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (Feb. 27). It's the season finale and features a mini Cosby Show reunion with guest star Keshia Knight Pulliam! In the episode airing tonight, "Divorce Party," Chris (Jesse Bradford) and Sheila (Erinn Hayes) contemplate having another baby together despite being divorced, while Nick (Zach Cregger) vows to do whatever it takes to keep them from getting back together. Later, Nick and Emily (Jamie-Lynn Sigler) plan a divorce party to remind Chris of his horrible past with Sheila. Meanwhile, Marny's (Tempestt Bledsoe) younger sister Bridget (guest star Keshia Knight Pulliam) comes to town and is soon hired as Gary's (Anthony Anderson) assistant.
This is a solid episode. The main draw of the episode of course is the mini-Cosby Show reunion featuring Keshia Knight Pulliam guest starring with her former Cosby sister Tempestt Bledsoe. And they are playing sisters once again! Though they may not be Rudy and Vanessa, the chemistry between the two is certainly there. Their story is about Marny's sister Bridget coming to town. Bridget borrows money a lot and never pays back, so Marny's husband Gary really doesn't like her or trusts her. Marny is giving to her sister but promises Gary that she won't give her any money. And somehow she ends up giving Bridget a job as an assistant to Gary. Without giving too much away, Bridget kind of does well but Gary is skeptical. She's working on Gary's "rapkin" project. The other storyline is with Sheila wanting a baby with Chris, despite them being divorced now, or does she just want another baby? But Nick and Emily are working on a "divorce party" for Chris so he can meet with his high school sweetheart Sage. So does Sheila have a "master plan" to get back together with Chris by wanting another baby? Nick and Emily are trying to stop Chris from making a mistake he might later regret. The divorce party and the baby story kind of clash and we are left with a cliffhanger to end the season! B
Guys with Kids is a solid throwback style comedy, like we mentioned in our pilot review way back in September. It feels like a '90s sitcom but that may not be a bad thing. The guest appearance by Keshia Knight Pulliam is really good and her character probably brought Gary's "rapkin" project to another level instead of just being functional. It'll be interesting if she will be back next season, should the series be renewed for a second season. Their is nice balance with all of the storylines in the episode and there doesn't seem to be a main story, so each story seems vital to the episode. This is a solid cast, in particular Anthony Anderson, Jesse Bradford and Jamie-Lynn Sigler. All three of them shine in the season finale (the karaoke scene with Anthony Anderson is hysterical). Watch the season finale because Rudy is all grown-up and looks amazing! It's also funny and has mainstream laughs so everyone will laugh!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, October 25
The Middle - "Halloween VIII: The Heckoning" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Halloween approaches, Frankie is taken aback when she discovers that, if the circumstances ever arose where she and Mike got divorced, the kids would all choose to live with Mike. Meanwhile, Sue tries everything in her power to get her room back from Brick, and having to be so nice around girlfriend April all of the time leads Axl to lash out at his family.
American Housewife - "Westport Zombies" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie, jealous of Taylor’s friendship with neighbor Viv (Leslie Bibb), reluctantly competes in the Westport Halloween “Zombie Run” after she finds out they’ll both be running. Meanwhile, Greg and Anna-Kat get a little too much in character for the “zombie” part of the run’s obstacle course.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Louisween" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Louis’ favorite holiday, and he makes every attempt to scare Jessica into the Halloween spirit, but she is buried in her word processor, drafting her first horror novel. Meanwhile, Emery and Evan debate costume choices, and Eddie and his crew are excited to party with high schoolers at Nicole’s house.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Halloween" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Halloween arrives, or what Kenny refers to as “the gay Super Bowl,” he plans to go to Boystown to watch the festive costume parade. In an effort to prevent Kenny from attending, Eileen agrees to let him throw his own Halloween party at home. Eileen’s tolerance is ultimately tested when Kenny recruits Stuart and his gay friends to join the big party, and he makes a BIG costume change. Meanwhile, Jimmy and Shannon plan to pull off an epic Halloween prank.
Atlanta - "Junteenth" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Why my Auntie trying to make me go to one of these bougie Junteenth parties again? I don't like them sadity people and I'm gonna miss my shows. Le sigh.
Family Time - "Head of House" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When the Stallworths have an unexpected visitor, they learn of a vicious crime that took place in their home years ago.
Tuesday, October 25
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Catch Will on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Skylar Astin (Ground Floor) - Skylar is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub (How to Be a Gentleman/Veronica's Closet/The Larry Sanders Show) and David Koechner (Another Period/Hank/The Office) - Mary and David are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Scream Queens/Anything But Love) - Jamie Lee is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn plays a celeb guessing game with Rach, who’s serving up no-fail make-your-own takeout, on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. She will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Cheryl Hines (Son of Zorn/Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) - Abbi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She will also be on the AOL Build Show 4pm.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Don is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.