Wednesday, February 27, 2013
TBS Orders Late Night Comedy Show for Fall 2013; Episodic Review: Guys with Kids - "Divorce Party" Airing Tonight on NBC (Cosby Show Reunion!)
This series will mark the first original late night series in the time period since the cancelation of Lopez Tonight. Currently, the network is airing original encores in the time period and reruns of The Office. Stay with us for more news on this series and as we get closer to the date we'll give you scheduling updates on what will air following the series.
On the next...Guys with Kids:
NBC's Jimmy Fallon produced sitcom starring Anthony Anderson airs Wednesday nights at 8:30pm and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (Feb. 27). It's the season finale and features a mini Cosby Show reunion with guest star Keshia Knight Pulliam! In the episode airing tonight, "Divorce Party," Chris (Jesse Bradford) and Sheila (Erinn Hayes) contemplate having another baby together despite being divorced, while Nick (Zach Cregger) vows to do whatever it takes to keep them from getting back together. Later, Nick and Emily (Jamie-Lynn Sigler) plan a divorce party to remind Chris of his horrible past with Sheila. Meanwhile, Marny's (Tempestt Bledsoe) younger sister Bridget (guest star Keshia Knight Pulliam) comes to town and is soon hired as Gary's (Anthony Anderson) assistant.
This is a solid episode. The main draw of the episode of course is the mini-Cosby Show reunion featuring Keshia Knight Pulliam guest starring with her former Cosby sister Tempestt Bledsoe. And they are playing sisters once again! Though they may not be Rudy and Vanessa, the chemistry between the two is certainly there. Their story is about Marny's sister Bridget coming to town. Bridget borrows money a lot and never pays back, so Marny's husband Gary really doesn't like her or trusts her. Marny is giving to her sister but promises Gary that she won't give her any money. And somehow she ends up giving Bridget a job as an assistant to Gary. Without giving too much away, Bridget kind of does well but Gary is skeptical. She's working on Gary's "rapkin" project. The other storyline is with Sheila wanting a baby with Chris, despite them being divorced now, or does she just want another baby? But Nick and Emily are working on a "divorce party" for Chris so he can meet with his high school sweetheart Sage. So does Sheila have a "master plan" to get back together with Chris by wanting another baby? Nick and Emily are trying to stop Chris from making a mistake he might later regret. The divorce party and the baby story kind of clash and we are left with a cliffhanger to end the season! B
Guys with Kids is a solid throwback style comedy, like we mentioned in our pilot review way back in September. It feels like a '90s sitcom but that may not be a bad thing. The guest appearance by Keshia Knight Pulliam is really good and her character probably brought Gary's "rapkin" project to another level instead of just being functional. It'll be interesting if she will be back next season, should the series be renewed for a second season. Their is nice balance with all of the storylines in the episode and there doesn't seem to be a main story, so each story seems vital to the episode. This is a solid cast, in particular Anthony Anderson, Jesse Bradford and Jamie-Lynn Sigler. All three of them shine in the season finale (the karaoke scene with Anthony Anderson is hysterical). Watch the season finale because Rudy is all grown-up and looks amazing! It's also funny and has mainstream laughs so everyone will laugh!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, March 30
The Big Bang Theory - "The Collaboration Fluctuation" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Leonard, Penny and Raj adjust to their new living arrangement, and Sheldon takes an interest in Amy’s work.
The Great Indoors - "Cubicles" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Jack can’t concentrate because of the millennials’ distracting juvenile behavior, Brooke installs cubicles in the bullpen.
Mom - "Black Mold and an Old Hot Dog" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Christy helps Jill adjust to being a new foster mother, and Bonnie has trouble convincing tenants that she’s a good building manager.
Life in Pieces - "Sleepover Dream Light Haze" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Matt and Colleen take a strong sleep aid, they start experiencing crazy sleepwalking adventures. Also, Greg gets upset when Jen reveals she had a sex dream about a member of the family; Tim regrets missing a slumber party when he was a kid so he insists on helping Sophia make it through a friend’s sleepover; and John installs a motion-sensor light in the yard that flashes repeatedly, keeping them up at night. Fortune Feimster returns as Colleen’s roommate, Dougie, and J.B. Smoove returns as John and Joan’s neighbor, Darryl.
Superstore - "Seasonal Help" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Much to Amy's (America Ferrera) dismay, Glenn (Mark McKinney) hires Amy's husband, Adam (guest star Ryan Gaul), for some extra help, exposing her in ways in which she is not prepared. Frustrated with the lazy, noncommittal temps, Jonah (Ben Feldman) and Garrett (Colton Dunn) start an employee draft to place bets on who will quit first while Glenn tries to find the perfect person to play Santa at the store for Christmas.
Powerless - "I'ma Friend You" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emily (Vanessa Hudgens) learns that Jackie (Christina Kirk) is in need of some extra cash, she can't help but try and do what she can to help her out. Meanwhile, Van (Alan Tudyk) is on a witch hunt and has his eyes set on Teddy (Danny Pudi), Ron (Ron Funches) and Wendy (Jennie Pierson).
Thursday, March 30
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine/Friends) - Catch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and the AOL Build Show at 4pm.
- Louis C.K. (Louie/Lucky Louie) - Louie appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Regina King (227) - Regina stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marissa is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Christine Baranski (Cybill/Happy Family/Welcome to New York) - Christine appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Kristen Schaal (The Last Man on Earth/Bob's Burgers/Flight of the Conchords) - Kristen visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) - Adam drops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brooklyn is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Wanda appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen is a guest on a repeat of The Real, so check your listings.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) and Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Alec and Lisa talk about The Baby Boss on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Katey Sagal (Superior Donuts/Married with Children/8 Simple Rules) - Katey discusses her new book Grace Notes: My Recollections on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Zach Braff (Scrubs) - Zach will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig is a guest on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.