Wednesday, December 05, 2012
ABC Mid-Season 2013 Schedule; Eric of JustMyShow.com Blogging On USA Today, Interviews Jason Ritter, Jay Sandrich
ABC announced midseason 2013 premiere dates for new dramas Red Widow and Zero Hour, along with new comedies How to Live with Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life) and Family Tools, and new alternative series The Taste and Celebrity Diving. Returning series Dancing with the Stars and Body of Proof will rejoin the schedule will all-new seasons in the new year, and Suburgatory will move to Wednesday nights at 8:30 p.m., beginning April 3, 2013.
First up, new innovative cooking competition show The Taste will feature celebrity chefs Anthony Bourdain, Nigella Lawson, Ludo Lefebvre and Brian Malarkey, will debut with a special two-hour premiere on Tuesday, January 22 from 8:00-10:00pm ET, and will premiere in its regular time period from 8:00-9:00pm ET on Tuesday, January 29 with an 8 episode order. No words on what will air in the time period Jan. 1, 8 and 15, but ABC will likely air repeats/specials until The Taste launches. Also on Tuesdays, Body of Proof, starring the Emmy(R)-winning Dana Delany, will return to the schedule on Tuesday, February 5 at 10:00pm, ET, and will feature new cast member Mark Valley as Det. Tommy Sullivan, a former NYPD detective (and a bit of a lady killer) who has transferred back to Philadelphia to rekindle his relationship with Megan Hunt (Delany). Private Practice, which currently airs in the hour, will have its series finale in January (likely Jan. 22, as the series has three episodes left to air in 2013), but no official date has been announced yet.
Moving on, new thriller Zero Hour stars Anthony Edwards (ER) in his return to series television. Edwards' character, Hank Galliston, has spent his life debunking myths, only to be drawn into one of the most compelling mysteries in human history after his wife's shocking disappearance. Zero Hour will premiere on Thursday, February 14 at 8:00pm, ET for 13 episodes. The series will replace Last Resort, which will air three more episodes in 2013 to finish its 13-episode run. Next, Red Widow, from Twilight Saga films writer Melissa Rosenberg and starring Radha Mitchell, is a riveting new drama about one woman's journey into the world of organized crime, and how far she will go to keep her family safe. Red Widow will debut with a two-hour premiere on Sunday, March 3 from 9:00-11:00pm, ET launching a week after the Academy Awards, and premiere in its regular timeslot, Sunday nights at 10:00pm, ET, on Sunday, March 10 following Revenge for 8 episodes. The series will replace 666 Park Avenue on the schedule, which has 4 episodes left to air in 2013 (likely twice in January and twice in February).
Dancing with the Stars will return for a 16th season on Monday, March 18 at 8:00-10:00pm, ET and Dancing with the Stars the Results Show will debut the following week on Tuesday, March 26 at 9:00pm, ET. The Monday edition will take over for The Bachelor after it finishes its season and presumably the Tuesday edition will take over for Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B---- In Apartment 23. The Tuesday edition moves back to 9pm, as it aired at 8pm this past fall. Celebrity Diving, based on the international hit reality series Celebrity Splash, will premiere on Tuesday, March 19 at 8:00pm, ET, leading into Dancing on Tuesdays, and will feature as judges legendary Olympic diver and four-time gold medalist Greg Louganis, along with David Boudia, who brought home the gold for diving at the 2012 London Olympics.
Then we have some comedy changes. Critically acclaimed Wednesday comedy Suburgatory will move to at 8:30pm ET as of Wednesday, April 3, one week after the season finale of The Neighbors. As The Neighbors returns with original episodes on Wednesday, January 9, and runs for 12 straight weeks. New comedy How to Live with Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life)" features Sarah Chalke (Scrubs) as a recently divorced single mom who moves back in with her eccentric parents, played by the multitalented and critically acclaimed Elizabeth Perkins and Brad Garrett. The series premieres on Wednesday, April 3 at 9:30pm ET after Modern Family and has a 13 episode order. And finally, upcoming new comedy Family Tools debuts on Wednesday, May 1 at 8:30pm ET and stars Kyle Bornheimer, J.K. Simmons and Leah Remini in a new family comedy that proves mixing family with business is never easy. Family Tools will take over for Suburgatory in this new timeslot following its season finale. The series has a 10 episode order, so will likely spill into early summer.
Stay with us for further updates as we get them.
Moving on, our good friend Eric of Just My Show is guest blogging for USA Today's Pop Candy all this week! Among the interviews Eric has done for Pop Candy is Monday's edition featuring Jason Ritter. The ladies love Jason Ritter. The 32-year-old actor, the son of the late John Ritter, has been a series regular on Joan of Arcadia, The Class, The Event and is now in his fourth season as Mark Syr on NBC's Parenthood. Eric talks to him of course about Parenthood but also snuck in a few questions on his father's classic sitcom Three's Company. Read the interview! On Tuesday, Eric interviewed Jay Sandrich. He of course directed the majority of episodes of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Cosby Show and Soap. In his spare time, he also directed the pilots of The Golden Girls, Empty Nest, A Different World and WKRP. Throw in a bunch of Bob Newhart episodes, a handful of Benson episodes and a few Night Court episodes for good measure. Can we just agree that he's a legend? Eric talks to him about his vast directing work of course and also what he thinks about today's comedies. Go ahead and read this interview as well. Check him out all week on Pop Candy! Go get 'em Eric!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (May)
05/03 - Mad About You - The Complete Series
05/03 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season One
05/10 - Newhart - The Complete Fifth Season
05/17 - Angie Tribeca - The Complete First Season
05/17 - The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season
05/24 - The Wonder Years - Season Five
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, May 26
Modern Family - "Clean Out Your Junk Drawer" (ABC, 10:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Gloria won a bid at the school auction for a family seminar with famed doctor and author Debra Radcliffe, whose self-help book ‘Clean Out Your Junk Drawer’ encourages people get out all their emotional junk to become healthier people and in turn better partners and spouses. Jay is resistant to the whole experience and can’t get away fast enough; Mitch and Cam decide to keep it very surface level so they can come off as super stable; and Phil and Claire also make it competitive and strive to be the best and strongest couple of the group. Things quickly escalate, though, as junk starts flying. Elsewhere, Haley and Alex meet up and counsel each other on their boy problems.
black-ish - "Sink or Swim" (ABC, 10:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After Dre notices that his neighbor Janine has never invited his family to any of her pool parties, he assumes she is racially stereotyping them as a family that doesn’t swim. The kids are shocked to find out that, in fact, Dre doesn’t know how to swim. At work, Dre shares the story with his colleagues, and Daphne Lido is not convinced it’s a race thing, so Dre confronts Janine directly. Meanwhile, Jack and Diane are a part of the Girls’ and Boys’ Rovers Organization, and they envy each other’s activities.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Empathy Optimization" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After having to deal with a sick Sheldon, Leonard, Penny and the gang try to treat themselves to a Sheldon-free weekend.
Life in Pieces - "Sleepy Email Brunch Tree" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Matt invites Colleen to brunch with the family, he coaches her through the difficult task of connecting with them. Also, John, Matt and Greg try to prove their masculinity by cutting down a tree in Greg's backyard, Tim has an adverse reaction to espresso, and a sleep-deprived Greg has a run-in with the cops.
Mom - "Terrorists and Gingerbread" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Christy and Bonnie have different ideas about forgiveness when Bonnie's mother, Shirley, who abandoned her as a small child, suddenly wants to be a part of their lives. Academy Award winner Ellen Burstyn guest stars as Bonnie’s mother, Shirley. June Squibb guest stars as Dottie.
The Odd Couple - "All About Eavesdropping" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After Oscar and Felix become obsessed with eavesdropping on their bickering neighbors, they try to subtly intervene and help them save their marriage. Also, Emily and Dani’s friendship is tested when they train together to race to the top of the Empire State Building.
Thursday, May 26
- Lizzy Caplan (The Class/Party Down) - Catch Lizzy on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Mike Epps (Uncle Buck/Survivor's Remorse) - Mike is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Sarah Silverman (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Sarah visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. She also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- David Alan Grier (The Carmichael Show/Life with Bonnie/DAG) - David stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Rebel Wilson (Super Fun Night) - Rebel is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- David Schwimmer (Friends) - David drops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me!) - David appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS. He also talks about Netflix's The Do-Over on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Natasha Leggero (Dice/Another Period/Free Agents) - Natasha visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Andy is a guest on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Megan Fox (Hope & Faith) - Megan previews the film Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Dave Coulier (Fuller House/Full House) - Dave appears on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Urie (Partners) - Michael is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Brandy (Zoe Ever After/The Game/Moesha) - Brandy opens up about her private health battle and how she fought her way back on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Jennifer and the cast of X-Men: Apocalypse will be interviewed on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family/The Class) - Jesse is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Jerrod Carmichael (The Carmichael Show) - Jerrod is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Janet Hubert (The Real) - Janet appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.