Wednesday, December 05, 2012
ABC Mid-Season 2013 Schedule; Eric of JustMyShow.com Blogging On USA Today, Interviews Jason Ritter, Jay Sandrich
ABC announced midseason 2013 premiere dates for new dramas Red Widow and Zero Hour, along with new comedies How to Live with Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life) and Family Tools, and new alternative series The Taste and Celebrity Diving. Returning series Dancing with the Stars and Body of Proof will rejoin the schedule will all-new seasons in the new year, and Suburgatory will move to Wednesday nights at 8:30 p.m., beginning April 3, 2013.
First up, new innovative cooking competition show The Taste will feature celebrity chefs Anthony Bourdain, Nigella Lawson, Ludo Lefebvre and Brian Malarkey, will debut with a special two-hour premiere on Tuesday, January 22 from 8:00-10:00pm ET, and will premiere in its regular time period from 8:00-9:00pm ET on Tuesday, January 29 with an 8 episode order. No words on what will air in the time period Jan. 1, 8 and 15, but ABC will likely air repeats/specials until The Taste launches. Also on Tuesdays, Body of Proof, starring the Emmy(R)-winning Dana Delany, will return to the schedule on Tuesday, February 5 at 10:00pm, ET, and will feature new cast member Mark Valley as Det. Tommy Sullivan, a former NYPD detective (and a bit of a lady killer) who has transferred back to Philadelphia to rekindle his relationship with Megan Hunt (Delany). Private Practice, which currently airs in the hour, will have its series finale in January (likely Jan. 22, as the series has three episodes left to air in 2013), but no official date has been announced yet.
Moving on, new thriller Zero Hour stars Anthony Edwards (ER) in his return to series television. Edwards' character, Hank Galliston, has spent his life debunking myths, only to be drawn into one of the most compelling mysteries in human history after his wife's shocking disappearance. Zero Hour will premiere on Thursday, February 14 at 8:00pm, ET for 13 episodes. The series will replace Last Resort, which will air three more episodes in 2013 to finish its 13-episode run. Next, Red Widow, from Twilight Saga films writer Melissa Rosenberg and starring Radha Mitchell, is a riveting new drama about one woman's journey into the world of organized crime, and how far she will go to keep her family safe. Red Widow will debut with a two-hour premiere on Sunday, March 3 from 9:00-11:00pm, ET launching a week after the Academy Awards, and premiere in its regular timeslot, Sunday nights at 10:00pm, ET, on Sunday, March 10 following Revenge for 8 episodes. The series will replace 666 Park Avenue on the schedule, which has 4 episodes left to air in 2013 (likely twice in January and twice in February).
Dancing with the Stars will return for a 16th season on Monday, March 18 at 8:00-10:00pm, ET and Dancing with the Stars the Results Show will debut the following week on Tuesday, March 26 at 9:00pm, ET. The Monday edition will take over for The Bachelor after it finishes its season and presumably the Tuesday edition will take over for Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B---- In Apartment 23. The Tuesday edition moves back to 9pm, as it aired at 8pm this past fall. Celebrity Diving, based on the international hit reality series Celebrity Splash, will premiere on Tuesday, March 19 at 8:00pm, ET, leading into Dancing on Tuesdays, and will feature as judges legendary Olympic diver and four-time gold medalist Greg Louganis, along with David Boudia, who brought home the gold for diving at the 2012 London Olympics.
Then we have some comedy changes. Critically acclaimed Wednesday comedy Suburgatory will move to at 8:30pm ET as of Wednesday, April 3, one week after the season finale of The Neighbors. As The Neighbors returns with original episodes on Wednesday, January 9, and runs for 12 straight weeks. New comedy How to Live with Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life)" features Sarah Chalke (Scrubs) as a recently divorced single mom who moves back in with her eccentric parents, played by the multitalented and critically acclaimed Elizabeth Perkins and Brad Garrett. The series premieres on Wednesday, April 3 at 9:30pm ET after Modern Family and has a 13 episode order. And finally, upcoming new comedy Family Tools debuts on Wednesday, May 1 at 8:30pm ET and stars Kyle Bornheimer, J.K. Simmons and Leah Remini in a new family comedy that proves mixing family with business is never easy. Family Tools will take over for Suburgatory in this new timeslot following its season finale. The series has a 10 episode order, so will likely spill into early summer.
Stay with us for further updates as we get them.
Moving on, our good friend Eric of Just My Show is guest blogging for USA Today's Pop Candy all this week! Among the interviews Eric has done for Pop Candy is Monday's edition featuring Jason Ritter. The ladies love Jason Ritter. The 32-year-old actor, the son of the late John Ritter, has been a series regular on Joan of Arcadia, The Class, The Event and is now in his fourth season as Mark Syr on NBC's Parenthood. Eric talks to him of course about Parenthood but also snuck in a few questions on his father's classic sitcom Three's Company. Read the interview! On Tuesday, Eric interviewed Jay Sandrich. He of course directed the majority of episodes of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Cosby Show and Soap. In his spare time, he also directed the pilots of The Golden Girls, Empty Nest, A Different World and WKRP. Throw in a bunch of Bob Newhart episodes, a handful of Benson episodes and a few Night Court episodes for good measure. Can we just agree that he's a legend? Eric talks to him about his vast directing work of course and also what he thinks about today's comedies. Go ahead and read this interview as well. Check him out all week on Pop Candy! Go get 'em Eric!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)
10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonders Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Read Our Review
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, November 27
The Big Bang Theory - "The Thanksgiving Coupling" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Sheldon protests when the gang drags him to Mrs. Wolowitz’s house for Thanksgiving. Meanwhile, Penny and Leonard must deal with a mistake from her past.
Mom - "Kimchi and a Monkey Playing Harmonica" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Christy has mixed feelings about Baxter's new relationship with Candace. Meanwhile, things between Bonnie and Alvin heat up. Sara Rue guest stars as Candace; Edward Asner guest stars as Christy and Bonnie’s neighbor, Jack. Kevin Pollak returns as Alvin.
Two and a Half Men - "Oontz Oontz Oontz" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Walden decides to foster a 6-year-old boy, but begins to doubt himself when they don’t bond like he expected. Edan Alexander joins the cast as Louis, the foster child.
The McCarthys - "Thanks a Lot, Ronny" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
During Thanksgiving dinner, the McCarthy family works together to manipulate Gerard into breaking up with his offensive girlfriend. Jessica St. Clair guest stars as Gerard’s girlfriend, Katrina.
Thursday, November 27
- Ted Danson (Cheers/Becker) - Catch Ted on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Rashida Jones (Parks and Recreation/The Office) - Rashida visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie appears on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. He will also be on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Reed Between the Lines/Girlfriends) - Tracee is a guest on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Bob Newhart (The Bob Newhart Show/Newhart/Bob) - Bob is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) - Melissa appears on a repeat The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin chats on Tavis Smiley, so check your local listings.
- Jennie Garth (Mystery Girls/What I Like About You) and Tori Spelling (Mystery Girls) - Jennie and Tori are guests on a repeat of the Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Kat Dennings (2 Broke Girls) - Watch Kat on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your local listings.
- Shia LaBeouf (Even Stevens) - Shia is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kim Cattrall (Sex and the City) - Kim shares why she's having the best sex of her life now and being happily single in the city on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Laurence Fisbburne (black-ish) - Laurence is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.
- Jenny McCarthy (Two and a Half Men/Jenny) - Jenny appears on a repeat of the Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril gives great ideas for your Thanksgiving leftovers on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Norman Lear (Producer of All in the Family/Sanford and Son/The Jeffersons/Good Times) - Norman chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Marlo Thomas (That Girl) - Marlo is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- John Ratzenberger (Cheers) - John will be on Fox & Friends on Fox News Channel.