Wednesday, December 05, 2012
ABC Mid-Season 2013 Schedule; Eric of JustMyShow.com Blogging On USA Today, Interviews Jason Ritter, Jay Sandrich
ABC announced midseason 2013 premiere dates for new dramas Red Widow and Zero Hour, along with new comedies How to Live with Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life) and Family Tools, and new alternative series The Taste and Celebrity Diving. Returning series Dancing with the Stars and Body of Proof will rejoin the schedule will all-new seasons in the new year, and Suburgatory will move to Wednesday nights at 8:30 p.m., beginning April 3, 2013.
First up, new innovative cooking competition show The Taste will feature celebrity chefs Anthony Bourdain, Nigella Lawson, Ludo Lefebvre and Brian Malarkey, will debut with a special two-hour premiere on Tuesday, January 22 from 8:00-10:00pm ET, and will premiere in its regular time period from 8:00-9:00pm ET on Tuesday, January 29 with an 8 episode order. No words on what will air in the time period Jan. 1, 8 and 15, but ABC will likely air repeats/specials until The Taste launches. Also on Tuesdays, Body of Proof, starring the Emmy(R)-winning Dana Delany, will return to the schedule on Tuesday, February 5 at 10:00pm, ET, and will feature new cast member Mark Valley as Det. Tommy Sullivan, a former NYPD detective (and a bit of a lady killer) who has transferred back to Philadelphia to rekindle his relationship with Megan Hunt (Delany). Private Practice, which currently airs in the hour, will have its series finale in January (likely Jan. 22, as the series has three episodes left to air in 2013), but no official date has been announced yet.
Moving on, new thriller Zero Hour stars Anthony Edwards (ER) in his return to series television. Edwards' character, Hank Galliston, has spent his life debunking myths, only to be drawn into one of the most compelling mysteries in human history after his wife's shocking disappearance. Zero Hour will premiere on Thursday, February 14 at 8:00pm, ET for 13 episodes. The series will replace Last Resort, which will air three more episodes in 2013 to finish its 13-episode run. Next, Red Widow, from Twilight Saga films writer Melissa Rosenberg and starring Radha Mitchell, is a riveting new drama about one woman's journey into the world of organized crime, and how far she will go to keep her family safe. Red Widow will debut with a two-hour premiere on Sunday, March 3 from 9:00-11:00pm, ET launching a week after the Academy Awards, and premiere in its regular timeslot, Sunday nights at 10:00pm, ET, on Sunday, March 10 following Revenge for 8 episodes. The series will replace 666 Park Avenue on the schedule, which has 4 episodes left to air in 2013 (likely twice in January and twice in February).
Dancing with the Stars will return for a 16th season on Monday, March 18 at 8:00-10:00pm, ET and Dancing with the Stars the Results Show will debut the following week on Tuesday, March 26 at 9:00pm, ET. The Monday edition will take over for The Bachelor after it finishes its season and presumably the Tuesday edition will take over for Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B---- In Apartment 23. The Tuesday edition moves back to 9pm, as it aired at 8pm this past fall. Celebrity Diving, based on the international hit reality series Celebrity Splash, will premiere on Tuesday, March 19 at 8:00pm, ET, leading into Dancing on Tuesdays, and will feature as judges legendary Olympic diver and four-time gold medalist Greg Louganis, along with David Boudia, who brought home the gold for diving at the 2012 London Olympics.
Then we have some comedy changes. Critically acclaimed Wednesday comedy Suburgatory will move to at 8:30pm ET as of Wednesday, April 3, one week after the season finale of The Neighbors. As The Neighbors returns with original episodes on Wednesday, January 9, and runs for 12 straight weeks. New comedy How to Live with Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life)" features Sarah Chalke (Scrubs) as a recently divorced single mom who moves back in with her eccentric parents, played by the multitalented and critically acclaimed Elizabeth Perkins and Brad Garrett. The series premieres on Wednesday, April 3 at 9:30pm ET after Modern Family and has a 13 episode order. And finally, upcoming new comedy Family Tools debuts on Wednesday, May 1 at 8:30pm ET and stars Kyle Bornheimer, J.K. Simmons and Leah Remini in a new family comedy that proves mixing family with business is never easy. Family Tools will take over for Suburgatory in this new timeslot following its season finale. The series has a 10 episode order, so will likely spill into early summer.
Stay with us for further updates as we get them.
Moving on, our good friend Eric of Just My Show is guest blogging for USA Today's Pop Candy all this week! Among the interviews Eric has done for Pop Candy is Monday's edition featuring Jason Ritter. The ladies love Jason Ritter. The 32-year-old actor, the son of the late John Ritter, has been a series regular on Joan of Arcadia, The Class, The Event and is now in his fourth season as Mark Syr on NBC's Parenthood. Eric talks to him of course about Parenthood but also snuck in a few questions on his father's classic sitcom Three's Company. Read the interview! On Tuesday, Eric interviewed Jay Sandrich. He of course directed the majority of episodes of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Cosby Show and Soap. In his spare time, he also directed the pilots of The Golden Girls, Empty Nest, A Different World and WKRP. Throw in a bunch of Bob Newhart episodes, a handful of Benson episodes and a few Night Court episodes for good measure. Can we just agree that he's a legend? Eric talks to him about his vast directing work of course and also what he thinks about today's comedies. Go ahead and read this interview as well. Check him out all week on Pop Candy! Go get 'em Eric!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, March 26
Liv and Maddie - "Neighbors-a-Rooney" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Liv rekindles her friendship with Holden Dippledorf in the midst of a family feud; Joey meets someone new at his Intergalactic Council meeting.
Dog with a Blog - "Stan Sleep Talks" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Stan starts talking in his sleep; the kids ask Bennett for psychological advice to help Stan with his problem.
Thursday, March 26
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Catch Zooey on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jimmie Walker (Good Times/At Ease/Bustin' Loose) - Jimmie is a guest on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elisha Cuthbert (One Big Happy/Happy Endings) - Elisha appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC. She also hangs at the kitchen table on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Natasha Leggero (Free Agents) - Natasha is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Elle Kemper (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt/The Office) - Elle stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Dakota Johnson (Ben and Kate) - Dakota appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Regina King (227) - Regina stops by The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations. She talks about dating in Hollywood and reveals behind the scenes secrets from the set of the hit show Scandal on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Tom Arnold (Roseanne/Tom/The Tom Show) - Tom is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 3am on BET.
- Freddie Prinze Jr. (Freddie) - Freddie appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 3am on BET.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Wanda guest hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Penelope Ann Miller (A Minute with Stan Hooper/The Popcorn Kid) - Penelope talks about her new series American Crime on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Jeremy talks about Mr. Selfridge and Entourage on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 9am hour. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Bella Thorne (Shake It Up) - Bella chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Richard Kind (Mad About You/Spin City) - Richard is tentatively scheduled to appear on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kelsey Grammer (Partners/Frasier/Cheers) - Kelsey is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy will be on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 7:40am.