Wednesday, October 31, 2012
NBC Mid-Season 2013 Schedule: 1600 Penn Premieres January 10, Community Returns February 7; ABC Gives The Neighbors and Scandal Full-Season Orders
NBC has announced their 2013 primetime mid-season schedule. Three new series will be making their debuts. 1600 Penn, starring Bill Pullman and Jenna Elfman, is a comedy about a typical American family who just happen to live in the White House. It debuts on Thursday, January 10 at 9:30pm ET/PT. Deception (formerly Infamous) is an intriguing drama starring Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Tate Donovan and Katherine LaNasa. The dark family murder mystery premieres on Monday, January 7 at 10pm ET/PT. Ready for Love is an innovative and dramatic new relationship show about making real connections with executive producer Eva Longoria. It will debut on Sunday, March 31 at 8-10pm ET/PT. Returning favorites include The Biggest Loser, Betty White's Off Their Rockers, Smash, Community, The Celebrity Apprentice, Revolution and The Voice.
Mondays will have a new season of The Biggest Loser that will feature some innovative changes to the format and the return of trainer Jillian Michaels. It will return with a two-night premiere on Sunday, January 6 at 9-11pm ET/PT and Monday, January 7 at 8-10pm ET/PT. It will remain on Mondays until the return of The Voice on March 25. New drama Deception will follow The Biggest Loser at 10pm ET/PT. The fourth cycle of The Voice will debut on Monday, March 25 at 8-10pm ET/PT and Tuesday, March 26 at 8-9pm ET/PT. New coaches Usher and Shakira will be part of the show, which continues its two-night Monday/Tuesday schedule as it did this fall. Hit drama Revolution will return on March 25 at 10-11pm ET/PT. It will conclude its fall run in November, so that will be quite a long break for it.
Tuesdays will have the return of acclaimed musical drama Smash with a two-hour episode featuring Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson on February 5 at 9-11pm ET/PT. It will move February 12 to its regular day and time of 10-11pm ET/PT. A new season Betty White's Off Their Rockers will premiere on January 8 with back-to-back episodes at 8:00pm and 8:30pm ET/PT. Two episodes will air in that hour each week. The Voice will take that timeslot beginning March 26.
No changes for Wednesdays have been announced. As we previously mentioned, Whitney takes over for the canceled Animal Practice on November 14 at 8pm ET/PT. It will be followed by Guys with Kids, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and Chicago Fire.
Moving on, Thursdays will have the premiere of the new White House comedy 1600 Penn on January 10 at 9:30pm ET/PT. It comes from co-creator and director Jason Winer, who is an Emmy-winning director of Modern Family. Critical favorite Community returns to its former timeslot of 8:00pm ET/PT on February 7. Parks and Recreation will be moving up one hour to 8:30PM ET/PT on January 17. As we mentioned yesterday, Up All Night is going on a winter break and will be switching to a multi-camera format for its final five episodes of the season. It will return in April/May.
Fridays and Saturdays have no schedule changes announced at the moment. Sundays will have the new relationship series Ready for Love from Eva Longoria. It will premiere on Sunday, March 31 at 8-10pm ET/PT. An "All-Star" edition of The Celebrity Apprentice will debut on March 3 at 9-11pm ET/PT. It will air for two hours for four weeks before shifting to one-hour episodes beginining March 31 at 10-11pm ET/PT.
Several shows will be wrapping up soon. 30 Rock will conclude its 13-episode season with an one-hour series finale. Parenthood is finishing its 15-episode season in January. Premiere dates haven't been announced for the Anne Heche comedy Save Me or the dramas Do No Harm and Hannibal. Stay with us for any updates.
What do you think of NBC's mid-season schedule? Discuss it on our message board.
ABC has given a full-season order to its freshman comedy The Neighbors. The series about a human family living in a neighborhood of aliens has performed decently in the ratings. It has been pretty consistent in its Wednesday timeslot by averaging 6.8 million viewers and beating NBC's new comedy Guys with Kids. Not surprisingly, it does well in the kids 2-11 and teens 12-17 demos.
Sophomore drama Scandal has been picked up for its first full season. The Shonda Rhimes political thriller starring Kerry Washington is doing solid ratings on Thursday nights at 10pm ET/PT. It averages around 8.1 million viewers and a 2.5 rating in the coveted 18-49 demo. DVR use boosts it 45 percent. ABC hasn't announced anything about Nashville, Last Resort or 666 Park Avenue yet. More scripts for Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue have recently been ordered. We'll keep you posted.
Look for our review of the pilot episode of Reba McEntire's Malibu Country tomorrow. It premieres on Friday at 8:30pm ET/PT on ABC.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.