Tuesday, August 28, 2012
TV One Fall 2012 Has Original Sitcom The Rickey Smiley Show; TBS Premieres New Series Wedding Band in November...On Saturdays
This fall TV One won't be making many schedule changes, but they will premiere a new original sitcom on Tuesday, Sept. 18 at 9pm with a two-episode premiere. The Rickey Smiley Show, as we previously mentioned, is a hilarious and heart-warming multi-camera sitcom starring comedian and radio personality Rickey Smiley, who plays a character loosely based on his own life - a popular, local DJ based in Atlanta, who is a single father to three children. The show's stories are inspired by Rickey's challenges and triumphs raising his children by himself while still trying to have a personal life. In addition to his personal life, the series takes viewers behind-the-scenes of his radio station, which is a hot-bed of office politics, back stabbing, sexual innuendo, social issues, celebrity appearances, music and, of course, humor. The all-star cast includes Ray J (Moesha, One on One), J. Anthony Brown (Like Family), Lil JJ (Just Jordan), Roz Ryan (Amen), Noree Victoria and Demetria McKinney (Tyler Perry's House of Payne).
Stunts airing in September on TV One include a Martin marathon on Labor Day (Monday, Sept. 3) from 7am-9pm. A marathon of Hawthorne will air Sunday, Sept. 9 from 12pm-8pm. On Tuesday, Sept. 18, TV One will present a special marathon of encores of original sitcom Love That Girl 10am-2:30pm, followed by Martin 2:30pm-9pm to lead into the two-episode premiere of original sitcom The Rickey Smiley Show. As far as the regular schedule goes, not many changes to report but Friday nights will now be a set schedule of sitcoms in primetime starting at 8pm with back-to-back episodes of Good Times, The Jeffersons, Amen, That's My Mama, Living Single, Martin, and Half & Half through 3am. TGIF! From 3-6am, there will be a two-hour block of Eve. Previously there were stunts on Friday nights of most of these sitcoms and some others like Flip Wilson and Richard Pryor Show. The rest of the weekday daytime line-up remains intact, see the schedule below.
View the full TV One Fall 2012 schedule. And stay with us for continued updates should anything change or be added to the schedule.
TBS is turning up the volume on comedies with its newest original series, Wedding Band, starring Brian Austin Green (Beverly Hills 90120, Desperate Housewives), Harold Perrineau (Lost, Oz), Peter Cambor (NCIS: Los Angeles, Notes from the Underbelly) and Derek Miller (Secret Girlfriend). The series follows four friends - three single, one married, all with day jobs - who escape their daily stress and responsibilities by playing "weekend rock gods" in Seattle's premier wedding and events band, Mother of the Bride. This hour-long comedy series also stars Melora Hardin (The Office), Jenny Wade (The Good Guys) and Kathryn Fiore (MADtv). TBS's Wedding Band is set to air Saturdays at 10 p.m. (ET/PT), beginning Nov. 10 for ten episodes. Airing on Saturday nights is a pretty questionable call. The series had been announced as a series order for awhile now (since May 2011) so perhaps TBS didn't like how the subsequent episodes were coming out? Just a speculation since the night it is airing is very strange.
Delivering equal parts comedy and heart, Wedding Band centers on the bromance between four likable but occasionally reckless young men who can't figure out their own lives. One thing they have figured out, however, is that weddings are the wildest parties in town. After all, the groupies are bridesmaids, the drinks are free and the best part, there's a paycheck waiting at the end of the night. And it's not just weddings. Mother of the Bride also brings the party to bar mitzvahs, high-school reunions and even bachelorette parties. On lead vocals and playing the crowd is perennial bachelor Tommy (Green). Shredding it on guitar is his best friend and married father of two, Eddie (Cambor). Behind Eddie on drums - and everything else in life - is his rock-obsessed brother, Barry (Miller), whose mission is to bring the arena-rock spectacle to black-tie events. New to the band is Stevie (Perrineau), a bassist and session musician who's jammed with all the big rock giants, "from AC to ZZ," but he's never been an official member of a band until Mother of the Bride. Together these four guys provide the soundtracks to other people's lives. But now the band is ready to take things to the next level. That means attracting the attention of top event Roxie Rutherford (Hardin), and her novice associate Rachel (Wade) and keeping Eddie out of trouble with his wife, Ingrid (Fiore).
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 22
Superstore - "Guns, Pills and Birds" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Amy (America Ferrera) assigns an uncomfortable Jonah (Ben Feldman) to the gun section of Cloud 9, Jonah abuses his right-to-refuse sale to anyone that causes concern, causing an open-carry protest to gather in the store. On principle, Glenn (Mark McKinney) attempts to purchase all of the store's morning-after pills, but finds himself in a moral dilemma when he can't afford them. Dina (Lauren Ash), Garrett (Colton Dunn) and Mateo (Nico Santos) hunt down a crow that has flown into the store.
The Thundermans - "Happy Heroween" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It's a major Halloween storm outside, but inside Colosso keeps the family spooked by telling three scary stories that are sure to terrify even the bravest of superheroes.
School of Rock - "Welcome to My Nightmare" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Mr. Finn's class decides to celebrate Halloween in school after Principal Mullins, who hates the holiday, goes home sick. When she returns sooner than expected, they have to scramble to keep her from finding out the truth.
Saturday, October 22
- Jim J. Bullock (Too Close for Comfort) - Jim talks about touring the U.S. in Kinky Boots on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.