Friday, May 20, 2011
TNT and TBS had their upfront presentation today in New York and they are making bold moves to bolster their foundations in original programming. The networks are developing extensive new lineups of scripted and unscripted series and making a new push into half-hour comedy in partnership with some of the top talents in the industry, from award-winning actors to acclaimed producers, writers and best-selling authors.
But before we get to that, this year marks the beginning of production of the final season of the blockbuster hit The Closer, starring Emmy(R) winner Kyra Sedgwick. However, TNT confirmed that it has ordered a 10-episode season of Major Crimes, a spin-off series set in the Los Angeles Police Department that promises to become television's next great crime drama. The seventh and final season of The Closer will include 15 episodes in 2011 and six in summer 2012, leading into the launch of Major Crimes, starring Mary McDonnell (Battlestar Galactica). McDonnell has been featured on The Closer as Capt. Raydor, who was often on a collision course with Deputy Police Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson, played by Sedgwick.
For TBS, Conan O'Brien is taking his late-night talk show Conan on the road for the first time. O'Brien will set up shop at the Beacon Theater in New York Oct. 31-Nov. 3 to celebrate the first anniversary of his arrival at TBS. The event will mark O'Brien's first stint in New York since he hosted Late Night with Conan O'Brien. In 2012, Conan will hit the road again for a stop in Chicago. TBS has also given the greenlight to The Wedding Band (working title), an hour-long comedy from FremantleMedia and Mike Tollin Productions. TBS has ordered 10 episodes of the series starring Brian Austin Green (Beverly Hills, 90210; Desperate Housewives), Harold Perrineau (LOST), Peter Cambor (Notes from the Underbelly), Derek Miller (Secret Girlfriend) and Melora Hardin (The Office). The show, which follows the misadventures of four friends who spend their spare time performing in a band, is slated to premiere in summer 2012.
In 2011-12, TNT is bringing back seven hit series, including basic cable's #1 show, Rizzoli & Isles; The Closer; and recent Peabody Award winner Men of a Certain Age. Also returning are Leverage, HawthoRNe, Memphis Beat and Southland. TNT will launch two new series this summer: Falling Skies, the eagerly anticipated series from DreamWorks Television and executive producer Steven Spielberg, starring Noah Wyle; and Franklin & Bash, a light-hearted lawyer drama from Sony Pictures Television. For 2012, TNT has ordered Perception from ABC Studios, a series starring Emmy and Screen Actors Guild Award(R) winner Eric McCormack (Will & Grace) that centers on a neuroscientist who works to solve complex criminal cases.
Moving on to pilots, both TNT and TBS have ordered many pilots. They have not been ordered to series yet, but there are plenty of options. Among TNT's pilots is drama The Untitled Shaun Cassidy/Kimberly Williams-Paisley Project, about a hot Southern mess of a family that takes in their widowed daughter-in-law and her gifted young son, these vibrant characters all in their own way come to learn that it's not the family you're born into that counts but the family you make. Among TBS's pilots is s single-camera comedy that spoofs cop and detective shows. TBS also have in development a game show revival of Pyramid with host Andy Richter and TNT is developing the TNT Tuesday Night Mystery, with original movies.
View more on the TNT and TBS upfront, including a list of all of the pilots in development. But be aware the pilot list are just pilots and not all of those will make it to series. Stay with us for series pick-ups.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars (but we won't cover movie stars like Tom Hanks or John Travolta, since they won't be talking about their past sitcoms likely), so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of May 23-27, 2011, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, May 23, 2011
- Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family) - Eric drops by The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Watch the funny lady Wanda on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Catch Queen Latifah on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Ed visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings. The Hangover: Part II opens in theaters on May 26.
- Chris Rock (Everybody Hates Chris) - Chris stops by The Gayle King Show at 10am on OWN.
- Courteney Cox (Cougar Town/Friends) - Catch Courteney on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Ed will be one of the guests onLate Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Dick Van Dyke (The Dick Van Dyke Show) - The legendary Mr. Van Dyke visits Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check listings for time.
- Topher Grace (That '70s Show) - Topher appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Julie Bowen (Modern Family) - Watch the lovely Julie on LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom drops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Tempestt Bledsoe (The Cosby Show) - Tempestt will be a guest on The Mo'nique Show at 11pm on BET.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family/The Class) - Watch Jesse Tyler on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Norm Macdonald (The Norm Show) - Norm drops by the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Patricia visits The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond) - Ray stops by The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Norm Macdonald (The Norm Show) - Norm continues to make the rounds on Lopez Tonight at 12am on TBS.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Watch Betty on a repeat from earlier in the month on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Drew Carey (The Drew Carey Show) - Drew visits the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock/The Tracy Morgan Show) - Catch the funnyman Tracy on The Gayle King Show at 10am on OWN.
Leave us comments on our message board or Tweet/Facebook us to let us know what you think of this Friday feature! We do listen!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, April 26
The Goldbergs - "Fonzie Scheme" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Murray is honored as one of Jenkintown’s top businessmen, his plaque is hung on a wall with all of the other honorees. And soon Beverly is dismayed to learn he has no discernable hobbies, and her attempts to help him find some backfire. Meanwhile, Barry creates a scheme stealing golf carts, but the situation goes awry and Erica comes to save the day.
Speechless - "R-U-N-- RUNAWAY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Maya learns JJ attempted to run away, she is determined to help him complete the task as any able-bodied person could, but her actions exasperate JJ, as he longs for independence. Meanwhile, Jimmy struggles to have hard talks with the kids without Maya, and Dylan tries to get Kenneth to revive his glory days as a high school sports star.
black-ish - "Sister, Sister" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bow’s sister comes to town after filming a stint on a reality show, and they couldn’t have less in common. Meanwhile, Zoey suggests that Dre spend more time with Junior since she’s leaving for college, and Jack and Diane decide to rebrand themselves.
black-ish - "All Groan Up" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Zoey gets into several colleges around the country, Dre and Bow begin to feel worried and sentimental. They reflect back on memories they’ve had with the family and wonder what life will be like without her around all the time. Pops enlists the twins to try and sway Zoey to go to college in a city they want to visit.
Nobodies - "Not the Emmys" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Award season! Larry, Rachel and Hugh are going to the Annies… while all their Groundlings friends are going to the Emmys.
Lopez - "No Country Club for Young Men" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
George gets Hector a job at his country club, but he falls in with a bad crowd of rich kids. Olly's little sister rolls back into town while Manolo struggles to stay focused in his GED class.
Hollywood Darlings - "Driving Miss Jodie" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jodie must choose between a sports car and a minivan; Christine's dream of participating in an exclusive yoga class is thwarted by a loud-breathing celebrity classmate.
Return of the Mac - "The Wrong Stuff" (Pop, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Feeling threatened by newly appointed sidekick Joey Fatone, Joe heads to a comedy club to hone his comedy monologue skills.
Wednesday, April 26
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris and the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Thomas Middleditch (Silicon Valley) - Thomas visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Maria Bamford (Lady Dynamite) - Maria appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Henry Zebrowski (A to Z) - Henry is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Molly Ringwald (Townies/The Facts of Life) - Molly stops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Anna Chlumsky (Veep) - Anna stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Sherri Shepherd (Trial & Error/Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri talks about the disease she won’t let destroy her on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your loclal listings.
- Felicity Huffman (Sports Night) - Felicity makes pecan bars on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Morris Chestnut (Out All Night) - Morris is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jodie Sweetin (Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.