Sunday, August 19, 2012
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week of August 6-12)
- The Simpsons (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 9pm did 2.99 million and a 1.4 rating, on par with last week's episode at 8:30pm. Not too bad vs. the Olympics.
- The Cleveland Show (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 7:30pm posted 1.94 million and a 0.9 rating, up from the previous week. A repeat at 8:30pm did 2.9 million and a 1.5 rating.
- Bob's Burgers (Fox) - preempted.
- Family Guy (Fox) - A repeat at 9pm did 3.6 million and a 1.8 18-49 rating, which was up from last week and not bad against the Olympics.
- American Dad! (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 7pm did 1.79 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, which was up from the previous week. A repeat at 9:30pm posted 3.29 million and a 1.6 rating.
- Animal Practice (NBC) Sneak Peek - The pilot episode aired after the Olympics at 10:58pm-11:20pm and was sampled by 12.8 million and did a 4.1 18-49 rating. It was down quite a bit from the premiere of Go On (which did 16.1 million and a 5.6 18-49 rating), but they still retained 47% of the Olympics audiece. It doesn't count in the weekly ratings. NBC re-airs both pilots this Tuesday beginning at 10pm.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - A repeat did 3.95 million and a 1.2 18-49 rating, both up with the Olympics ending.
- 2 Broke Girls (CBS) 2 airings - A repeat of this comedy at 8:30pm did 4.26 million and a 1.2 rating, both up from last week. The 9pm repeat followed and posted 4.530 million and a 1.3 rating, up in viewers and one tenth in 18-49.
- Mike & Molly (CBS) - 5.01 million and a 1.4 rating for a repeat at 9:30pm, which was up over 1.2 viewers and three tenths in 18-49.
- The Middle (ABC) - Tuesday repeats will air for the rest of the summer, in addition to its regular Wednesday airings. The 8pm repeat did 3.24 million and a 0.8 rating, up a tenth from previous week.
- Last Man Standing (ABC) - A repeat of this sitcom followed with 2.65 million and a 0.8 rating, up two tenths from last week.
- Happy Endings (ABC) - Repeats started on Tuesdays this week. A repeat at 9pm did 1.79 million and a 0.6 rating, which seems a little low.
- Don't Trust the B---- In Apartment 23 (ABC) - A repeat at 9:30pm posted 1.63 million and a 0.6 rating. It will be interesting to see how these two perform this season without a big Modern Family lead-in.
- The Middle (ABC) - A repeat at 8pm did 3.76 million and a 1.1 rating, up quite a bit in viewers and two tenths in 18-49 from previous week.
- Suburgatory (ABC) 2 airings - A repeat at 8:30 posted 2.93 million and a 1.0 18-49 rating, both up from last week without the Olympics. Their first repat airing at 9:30pm generated 2.87 million and a 1.1 18-49 rating. They should receive a nice bump this season airing after Modern Family.
- Up All Night (NBC) - preempted.
- Modern Family (ABC) - A repeat at 9pm did 3.61 million and a 1.3 rating, both up from last week's airings.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A repeat at 8 did 8.03 million and a 2.1 18-49 rating, both up big with the Olympics ending.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - A repeat at 8:30pm did 6.65 million and a 1.8 rating, up over 2 million viewers and six tenths in 18-49.
- The Office (NBC) - It returned after the Olympics with a repeat at 8pm doing 2.37 million and a 0.7 rating, which seems a little low.
- Parks and Recreation (NBC) - A repeat at 8:30pm followed with 1.88 million and 0.7 rating.
- Whitney (NBC) - preempted.
- Community (NBC) - preempted.
- Rules of Engagement (CBS) - preempted.
Summing it up. The sneak peek of Animal Practice and repeats of Family Guy-last Sun, Mike & Molly, The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men were impressive for the week. Everything else was OK (such as repeats of How I Met Your Mother, 2 Broke Girls, The Middle, Suburgatory and Modern Family) or just plain old terrible (such as repeats of Parks and Recreation, Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B---- In Apartment 23 - both ABC sitcoms need to do much better on their new night).
Feeling the repeat blues? Look for original sitcoms on cable this summer, with ABC Family's sophomore season of Melissa & Joey at 8pm all-new this Wednesday. What an underrated family comedy it is. New comedy Baby Daddy starring Chelsea Kane airs at 8:30pm with episode 8 (already?). Both continue to deliver on ABC Family. As we mentioned on Twitter, both series have been renewed for new seasons coming in spring 2013! Look for our blog story tomorrow. TBS has episode seven of new sitcom Sullivan & Son this Thursday at 10pm. It's Cheers meets Sanford & Son, if that makes sense. Also on Wednesdays is TV Land's Hot in Cleveland spin-off series The Soul Man starring Cedric the Entertainer at 10pm followed by a new episode of The Exes at 10:30pm. TV Land has moved Retired at 35 to Wednesdays at 11pm. FX and Charlie Sheen come together in Anger Management airing Thursdays at 9:30pm. Even on digital TV, Bounce TV airs new comedy Family Time starring Omar Gooding, but it had its season finale on July 23...look for repeats on Bounce TV. All of these are multi-camera comedies, too! New sitcom airings is the perfect way to beat the summer blues!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, December 8
The Big Bang Theory - "The Military Miniaturization" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Colonel Williams (Dean Norris), an Air Force representative from the Department of Material Command sits down to talk with Wolowitz.
The Great Indoors - "@Emma" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emma quits after being turned down for a raise, Jack and Roland become the magazine’s newest and worst ever social media managers. Also, in a misguided attempt to boost business, Eddie re-brands his bar as “magic-themed.”
Mom - "Cornbread and a Cashmere Onesie" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Christy and Bonnie worry about Jill after her cry for help on the anniversary of her mother’s suicide.
Life in Pieces - "Swim Survivor Zen Talk" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When John decides to try out for “Survivor,” Tim gets jealous and attempts to undermine his audition tape. Also, Colleen confesses she can’t swim when she and Matt discuss Hawaii as a honeymoon destination; Jen pretends to get hooked on meditation so she can use the time to play cell phone games; and Heather gives Sophia the “sex” talk. “Survivor” host Jeff Probst guest stars as himself.
Thursday, December 8
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Catch Jennifer on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Lola Kirke (Mozart in the Jungle) - Lola is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril guest co-hosts Rachael Ray and makes sausage-stuffed mushrooms, so check your local listings.
- Jodie Sweetin (Fuller House/Full House) and Andrea Barber (Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie and Andrea chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. Jodie joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Judah Friedlander (30 Rock) - Judah is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Lori Loughlin (Fuller House/Full House) - Lori is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. She also talks about what to expect from Season 2 of Fuller House on People Now at 8:30am.
- Scott Patterson (Aliens in America) - Scott talks about Luke and Lorelai’s wedding scene from Gilmore Girls – and if he thinks the two will ever have a baby on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother) - Josh is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- Emmanuelle Chriqui (Entourage) - Emanuelle appears the AOL Build Show 3:45pm.
- Gael Garcia Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.