Sunday, August 19, 2012
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week of August 6-12)
- The Simpsons (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 9pm did 2.99 million and a 1.4 rating, on par with last week's episode at 8:30pm. Not too bad vs. the Olympics.
- The Cleveland Show (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 7:30pm posted 1.94 million and a 0.9 rating, up from the previous week. A repeat at 8:30pm did 2.9 million and a 1.5 rating.
- Bob's Burgers (Fox) - preempted.
- Family Guy (Fox) - A repeat at 9pm did 3.6 million and a 1.8 18-49 rating, which was up from last week and not bad against the Olympics.
- American Dad! (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 7pm did 1.79 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, which was up from the previous week. A repeat at 9:30pm posted 3.29 million and a 1.6 rating.
- Animal Practice (NBC) Sneak Peek - The pilot episode aired after the Olympics at 10:58pm-11:20pm and was sampled by 12.8 million and did a 4.1 18-49 rating. It was down quite a bit from the premiere of Go On (which did 16.1 million and a 5.6 18-49 rating), but they still retained 47% of the Olympics audiece. It doesn't count in the weekly ratings. NBC re-airs both pilots this Tuesday beginning at 10pm.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - A repeat did 3.95 million and a 1.2 18-49 rating, both up with the Olympics ending.
- 2 Broke Girls (CBS) 2 airings - A repeat of this comedy at 8:30pm did 4.26 million and a 1.2 rating, both up from last week. The 9pm repeat followed and posted 4.530 million and a 1.3 rating, up in viewers and one tenth in 18-49.
- Mike & Molly (CBS) - 5.01 million and a 1.4 rating for a repeat at 9:30pm, which was up over 1.2 viewers and three tenths in 18-49.
- The Middle (ABC) - Tuesday repeats will air for the rest of the summer, in addition to its regular Wednesday airings. The 8pm repeat did 3.24 million and a 0.8 rating, up a tenth from previous week.
- Last Man Standing (ABC) - A repeat of this sitcom followed with 2.65 million and a 0.8 rating, up two tenths from last week.
- Happy Endings (ABC) - Repeats started on Tuesdays this week. A repeat at 9pm did 1.79 million and a 0.6 rating, which seems a little low.
- Don't Trust the B---- In Apartment 23 (ABC) - A repeat at 9:30pm posted 1.63 million and a 0.6 rating. It will be interesting to see how these two perform this season without a big Modern Family lead-in.
- The Middle (ABC) - A repeat at 8pm did 3.76 million and a 1.1 rating, up quite a bit in viewers and two tenths in 18-49 from previous week.
- Suburgatory (ABC) 2 airings - A repeat at 8:30 posted 2.93 million and a 1.0 18-49 rating, both up from last week without the Olympics. Their first repat airing at 9:30pm generated 2.87 million and a 1.1 18-49 rating. They should receive a nice bump this season airing after Modern Family.
- Up All Night (NBC) - preempted.
- Modern Family (ABC) - A repeat at 9pm did 3.61 million and a 1.3 rating, both up from last week's airings.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A repeat at 8 did 8.03 million and a 2.1 18-49 rating, both up big with the Olympics ending.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - A repeat at 8:30pm did 6.65 million and a 1.8 rating, up over 2 million viewers and six tenths in 18-49.
- The Office (NBC) - It returned after the Olympics with a repeat at 8pm doing 2.37 million and a 0.7 rating, which seems a little low.
- Parks and Recreation (NBC) - A repeat at 8:30pm followed with 1.88 million and 0.7 rating.
- Whitney (NBC) - preempted.
- Community (NBC) - preempted.
- Rules of Engagement (CBS) - preempted.
Summing it up. The sneak peek of Animal Practice and repeats of Family Guy-last Sun, Mike & Molly, The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men were impressive for the week. Everything else was OK (such as repeats of How I Met Your Mother, 2 Broke Girls, The Middle, Suburgatory and Modern Family) or just plain old terrible (such as repeats of Parks and Recreation, Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B---- In Apartment 23 - both ABC sitcoms need to do much better on their new night).
Feeling the repeat blues? Look for original sitcoms on cable this summer, with ABC Family's sophomore season of Melissa & Joey at 8pm all-new this Wednesday. What an underrated family comedy it is. New comedy Baby Daddy starring Chelsea Kane airs at 8:30pm with episode 8 (already?). Both continue to deliver on ABC Family. As we mentioned on Twitter, both series have been renewed for new seasons coming in spring 2013! Look for our blog story tomorrow. TBS has episode seven of new sitcom Sullivan & Son this Thursday at 10pm. It's Cheers meets Sanford & Son, if that makes sense. Also on Wednesdays is TV Land's Hot in Cleveland spin-off series The Soul Man starring Cedric the Entertainer at 10pm followed by a new episode of The Exes at 10:30pm. TV Land has moved Retired at 35 to Wednesdays at 11pm. FX and Charlie Sheen come together in Anger Management airing Thursdays at 9:30pm. Even on digital TV, Bounce TV airs new comedy Family Time starring Omar Gooding, but it had its season finale on July 23...look for repeats on Bounce TV. All of these are multi-camera comedies, too! New sitcom airings is the perfect way to beat the summer blues!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.