Sunday, August 19, 2012
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week of August 6-12)
- The Simpsons (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 9pm did 2.99 million and a 1.4 rating, on par with last week's episode at 8:30pm. Not too bad vs. the Olympics.
- The Cleveland Show (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 7:30pm posted 1.94 million and a 0.9 rating, up from the previous week. A repeat at 8:30pm did 2.9 million and a 1.5 rating.
- Bob's Burgers (Fox) - preempted.
- Family Guy (Fox) - A repeat at 9pm did 3.6 million and a 1.8 18-49 rating, which was up from last week and not bad against the Olympics.
- American Dad! (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 7pm did 1.79 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, which was up from the previous week. A repeat at 9:30pm posted 3.29 million and a 1.6 rating.
- Animal Practice (NBC) Sneak Peek - The pilot episode aired after the Olympics at 10:58pm-11:20pm and was sampled by 12.8 million and did a 4.1 18-49 rating. It was down quite a bit from the premiere of Go On (which did 16.1 million and a 5.6 18-49 rating), but they still retained 47% of the Olympics audiece. It doesn't count in the weekly ratings. NBC re-airs both pilots this Tuesday beginning at 10pm.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - A repeat did 3.95 million and a 1.2 18-49 rating, both up with the Olympics ending.
- 2 Broke Girls (CBS) 2 airings - A repeat of this comedy at 8:30pm did 4.26 million and a 1.2 rating, both up from last week. The 9pm repeat followed and posted 4.530 million and a 1.3 rating, up in viewers and one tenth in 18-49.
- Mike & Molly (CBS) - 5.01 million and a 1.4 rating for a repeat at 9:30pm, which was up over 1.2 viewers and three tenths in 18-49.
- The Middle (ABC) - Tuesday repeats will air for the rest of the summer, in addition to its regular Wednesday airings. The 8pm repeat did 3.24 million and a 0.8 rating, up a tenth from previous week.
- Last Man Standing (ABC) - A repeat of this sitcom followed with 2.65 million and a 0.8 rating, up two tenths from last week.
- Happy Endings (ABC) - Repeats started on Tuesdays this week. A repeat at 9pm did 1.79 million and a 0.6 rating, which seems a little low.
- Don't Trust the B---- In Apartment 23 (ABC) - A repeat at 9:30pm posted 1.63 million and a 0.6 rating. It will be interesting to see how these two perform this season without a big Modern Family lead-in.
- The Middle (ABC) - A repeat at 8pm did 3.76 million and a 1.1 rating, up quite a bit in viewers and two tenths in 18-49 from previous week.
- Suburgatory (ABC) 2 airings - A repeat at 8:30 posted 2.93 million and a 1.0 18-49 rating, both up from last week without the Olympics. Their first repat airing at 9:30pm generated 2.87 million and a 1.1 18-49 rating. They should receive a nice bump this season airing after Modern Family.
- Up All Night (NBC) - preempted.
- Modern Family (ABC) - A repeat at 9pm did 3.61 million and a 1.3 rating, both up from last week's airings.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A repeat at 8 did 8.03 million and a 2.1 18-49 rating, both up big with the Olympics ending.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - A repeat at 8:30pm did 6.65 million and a 1.8 rating, up over 2 million viewers and six tenths in 18-49.
- The Office (NBC) - It returned after the Olympics with a repeat at 8pm doing 2.37 million and a 0.7 rating, which seems a little low.
- Parks and Recreation (NBC) - A repeat at 8:30pm followed with 1.88 million and 0.7 rating.
- Whitney (NBC) - preempted.
- Community (NBC) - preempted.
- Rules of Engagement (CBS) - preempted.
Summing it up. The sneak peek of Animal Practice and repeats of Family Guy-last Sun, Mike & Molly, The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men were impressive for the week. Everything else was OK (such as repeats of How I Met Your Mother, 2 Broke Girls, The Middle, Suburgatory and Modern Family) or just plain old terrible (such as repeats of Parks and Recreation, Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B---- In Apartment 23 - both ABC sitcoms need to do much better on their new night).
Feeling the repeat blues? Look for original sitcoms on cable this summer, with ABC Family's sophomore season of Melissa & Joey at 8pm all-new this Wednesday. What an underrated family comedy it is. New comedy Baby Daddy starring Chelsea Kane airs at 8:30pm with episode 8 (already?). Both continue to deliver on ABC Family. As we mentioned on Twitter, both series have been renewed for new seasons coming in spring 2013! Look for our blog story tomorrow. TBS has episode seven of new sitcom Sullivan & Son this Thursday at 10pm. It's Cheers meets Sanford & Son, if that makes sense. Also on Wednesdays is TV Land's Hot in Cleveland spin-off series The Soul Man starring Cedric the Entertainer at 10pm followed by a new episode of The Exes at 10:30pm. TV Land has moved Retired at 35 to Wednesdays at 11pm. FX and Charlie Sheen come together in Anger Management airing Thursdays at 9:30pm. Even on digital TV, Bounce TV airs new comedy Family Time starring Omar Gooding, but it had its season finale on July 23...look for repeats on Bounce TV. All of these are multi-camera comedies, too! New sitcom airings is the perfect way to beat the summer blues!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 1
The Good Place - "Pilot" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Thanks to some kind of error, Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell), an ordinary woman, enters the afterlife and is sent to the Good Place -- which is definitely not where she belongs. While hiding in plain sight from Michael (Ted Danson), the wise architect of the Good Place who is unaware that he's made a mistake, she's determined to shed her old way of living and discover the awesome person within. Helping Eleanor navigate her new surroundings are Chidi (William Jackson Harper), her kind, open-hearted "soulmate" who sees the good in people but finds himself facing quite a dilemma; her frustratingly perfect new neighbors, Tahani (Jameela Jamil) and Jianyu (Manny Jacinto); and Janet (D'Arcy Carden), a walking, talking source for all the knowledge in the universe.
The Good Place - "Flying" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) tries to prove to Chidi (William Jackson Harper) that she is worthy of his help. Meanwhile, Tahani (Jameela Jamil) and Jianyu (Manny Jacinto) try to help Michael (Ted Danson) feel better about the unknown flaw in his Neighborhood.
The Good Place - "Tahani Al Jamil" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Chidi (William Jackson Harper) begins formally teaching Eleanor (Kristen Bell) about ethics, and lesson No. 1 is: be kind to your neighbor. Michael (Ted Danson) and Janet (D'Arcy Carden) help Chidi find a new, exciting hobby.
The Good Place - "Jason Mendoza" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) faces her toughest test yet in her attempt to remain in hiding. Meanwhile, Michael (Ted Danson) enlists Tahani (Jameela Jamil) to help a fellow neighbor fulfill her true purpose.
Henry Danger - "Scream Machine" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Charlotte's invention for The Gizmo Show is accidentally destroyed and then rebuilt, Charlotte worries that the attention she gets could expose Kid Danger and Captain Man's secret identity.
Game Shakers - "The Very Old Finger" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
The Game Shakers visit a mummy exhibit to get ideas for a new game they're working on. Hudson accidentally snaps off one of its fingers. Babe leads a quest to glue it back on without getting caught.
School of Rock - "With or Without You" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Lawrence tries to prove his value to the group by taking over the production of their first recording, but his methods create a rift in the band. Guest Star: Brec Bassinger
Sunday, October 2
- Mindy Kaling (The Mindy Project/The Office) - Catch Mindy on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Mindy Kaling (The Mindy Project/The Office) - Watch Mindy on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. She will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Scream Queens/Anything But Love) - Jamie Lee visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley) - Kumail appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) and Brendon Small (Home Movies) - Steve and Brendon are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Champs/Hiller and Diller) - Kevin stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Kenan Thompson (Kenan & Kel) - Kenan drops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Chris Gethard (Broad City) - Chris chats about the play Career Suicide on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Abigail Spencer (Burning Love) - Abigail talks about Timeless on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 2pm. She is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Rob Riggle (Golan the Insatiable) - Rob talks about Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso talks how many America's Funniest Home Videos get submitted and the funny home videos he wants to submit with his family on People Now at 8:30am.
- Jennifer Esposito (Samantha Who?/Spin City) - Jennifer is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Sara Rue (Impastor/Less Than Perfect) - Sara appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Jay Ellis (Insecure/The Game) - Jay is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.