Sunday, August 19, 2012
Last Sunday Sitcoms (counts for week of August 6-12)
- The Simpsons (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 9pm did 2.99 million and a 1.4 rating, on par with last week's episode at 8:30pm. Not too bad vs. the Olympics.
- The Cleveland Show (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 7:30pm posted 1.94 million and a 0.9 rating, up from the previous week. A repeat at 8:30pm did 2.9 million and a 1.5 rating.
- Bob's Burgers (Fox) - preempted.
- Family Guy (Fox) - A repeat at 9pm did 3.6 million and a 1.8 18-49 rating, which was up from last week and not bad against the Olympics.
- American Dad! (Fox) 2 airings - A repeat at 7pm did 1.79 million and a 0.8 18-49 rating, which was up from the previous week. A repeat at 9:30pm posted 3.29 million and a 1.6 rating.
- Animal Practice (NBC) Sneak Peek - The pilot episode aired after the Olympics at 10:58pm-11:20pm and was sampled by 12.8 million and did a 4.1 18-49 rating. It was down quite a bit from the premiere of Go On (which did 16.1 million and a 5.6 18-49 rating), but they still retained 47% of the Olympics audiece. It doesn't count in the weekly ratings. NBC re-airs both pilots this Tuesday beginning at 10pm.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - A repeat did 3.95 million and a 1.2 18-49 rating, both up with the Olympics ending.
- 2 Broke Girls (CBS) 2 airings - A repeat of this comedy at 8:30pm did 4.26 million and a 1.2 rating, both up from last week. The 9pm repeat followed and posted 4.530 million and a 1.3 rating, up in viewers and one tenth in 18-49.
- Mike & Molly (CBS) - 5.01 million and a 1.4 rating for a repeat at 9:30pm, which was up over 1.2 viewers and three tenths in 18-49.
- The Middle (ABC) - Tuesday repeats will air for the rest of the summer, in addition to its regular Wednesday airings. The 8pm repeat did 3.24 million and a 0.8 rating, up a tenth from previous week.
- Last Man Standing (ABC) - A repeat of this sitcom followed with 2.65 million and a 0.8 rating, up two tenths from last week.
- Happy Endings (ABC) - Repeats started on Tuesdays this week. A repeat at 9pm did 1.79 million and a 0.6 rating, which seems a little low.
- Don't Trust the B---- In Apartment 23 (ABC) - A repeat at 9:30pm posted 1.63 million and a 0.6 rating. It will be interesting to see how these two perform this season without a big Modern Family lead-in.
- The Middle (ABC) - A repeat at 8pm did 3.76 million and a 1.1 rating, up quite a bit in viewers and two tenths in 18-49 from previous week.
- Suburgatory (ABC) 2 airings - A repeat at 8:30 posted 2.93 million and a 1.0 18-49 rating, both up from last week without the Olympics. Their first repat airing at 9:30pm generated 2.87 million and a 1.1 18-49 rating. They should receive a nice bump this season airing after Modern Family.
- Up All Night (NBC) - preempted.
- Modern Family (ABC) - A repeat at 9pm did 3.61 million and a 1.3 rating, both up from last week's airings.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - A repeat at 8 did 8.03 million and a 2.1 18-49 rating, both up big with the Olympics ending.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS) - A repeat at 8:30pm did 6.65 million and a 1.8 rating, up over 2 million viewers and six tenths in 18-49.
- The Office (NBC) - It returned after the Olympics with a repeat at 8pm doing 2.37 million and a 0.7 rating, which seems a little low.
- Parks and Recreation (NBC) - A repeat at 8:30pm followed with 1.88 million and 0.7 rating.
- Whitney (NBC) - preempted.
- Community (NBC) - preempted.
- Rules of Engagement (CBS) - preempted.
Summing it up. The sneak peek of Animal Practice and repeats of Family Guy-last Sun, Mike & Molly, The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men were impressive for the week. Everything else was OK (such as repeats of How I Met Your Mother, 2 Broke Girls, The Middle, Suburgatory and Modern Family) or just plain old terrible (such as repeats of Parks and Recreation, Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B---- In Apartment 23 - both ABC sitcoms need to do much better on their new night).
Feeling the repeat blues? Look for original sitcoms on cable this summer, with ABC Family's sophomore season of Melissa & Joey at 8pm all-new this Wednesday. What an underrated family comedy it is. New comedy Baby Daddy starring Chelsea Kane airs at 8:30pm with episode 8 (already?). Both continue to deliver on ABC Family. As we mentioned on Twitter, both series have been renewed for new seasons coming in spring 2013! Look for our blog story tomorrow. TBS has episode seven of new sitcom Sullivan & Son this Thursday at 10pm. It's Cheers meets Sanford & Son, if that makes sense. Also on Wednesdays is TV Land's Hot in Cleveland spin-off series The Soul Man starring Cedric the Entertainer at 10pm followed by a new episode of The Exes at 10:30pm. TV Land has moved Retired at 35 to Wednesdays at 11pm. FX and Charlie Sheen come together in Anger Management airing Thursdays at 9:30pm. Even on digital TV, Bounce TV airs new comedy Family Time starring Omar Gooding, but it had its season finale on July 23...look for repeats on Bounce TV. All of these are multi-camera comedies, too! New sitcom airings is the perfect way to beat the summer blues!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, February 22
The Goldbergs - "So Swayze It's Crazy" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Adam sees his friend on television, he asks Beverly for her help to become an actor, so Beverly enlists his friend’s mom Edie, who is a kid talent agent in town. Unfortunately, Edie insists Adam can only get “nerd” roles, so Beverly goes on a quest to make Adam a teenage heartthrob. Meanwhile, Barry decides to embrace the punk lifestyle, and Murray attempts to become more involved in Erica’s life, but it backfires.
Speechless - "O-S-- OSCAR P-A-- PARTY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the Dimeos throw their annual Oscar party with other special-needs families, Maya feels threatened by new mom Becca, who seems a little too perfect. Meanwhile, Jimmy encourages the fathers at the party to let loose while Ray tries to impress a girl by pretending to be someone he is not.
Modern Family - "Heavy Is the Head" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Despite their lofty hopes, Phil and Jay’s property investment might turn out to be a bust, forcing Phil to rethink his original dream. Meanwhile, Cam lands in the hospital due to a head injury and refuses to have an MRI thanks to a traumatic incident with a well when he was a child. Determined to finally impress Claire and keep her from re-gifting her birthday present, Gloria surprises her with a day of luxury at the office. However, after Claire had to implement some rather harsh budget cuts at work, a massage at her desk may not be sending the right message.
black-ish - "One Angry Man" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre is forced to participate in jury duty after Junior responds to the summons that was thrown away. The case is supposed to be open and shut, but when Dre sees that the defendant is a young African American, he feels a civic responsibility to give him a fair trial. Meanwhile, Bow decides to let the kids swear in the house since they are more open with her that way, but she and Ruby soon regret the decision.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Tends Bar" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It's Valentine's Day and Paddy's is packed with customers. Dennis implores the gang to do one day of actual work but everyone else is distracted by a mystery crate Cricket spotted in the alley. Eventually, the gang becomes convinced Dennis really wants them to work on their relationships and everyone shares their grievances without much resolution.
Man Seeking Woman - "Dolphin" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
When her mom becomes obsessed with Josh's wedding, Liz seeks out her estranged father (Peter Gallagher).
Schitt's Creek - "General Store" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
David comes up with a new business venture; Alexis adjusts to her first day of school.
Wednesday, February 22
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and George Clooney (The Facts of Life/Roseanne) - Tom and George are guests on a repeat of the 2012 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ariana Grande (Sam & Cat) - Ariana drops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Kelly is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly)- Billy appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Ultimate Beastmaster on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2pm.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Matt Shively (The Real O'Neals/True Jackson, VP) - Matt is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Justin Bartha (The New Normal) - Justin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Will talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette dishes about the new season of SuperMansion on Crackle on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Mike Epps (Uncle Buck/Survivor's Remorse) - Mike is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Eva Longoria (Telenovela) - Eva chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.