Monday, July 23, 2012
Nick at Nite's Scott Baio Sitcom Daddy's Home Starts Production, Gets Cast; Premiere of Sullivan & Son Does Well For TBS
We mentioned a few months ago that Nick at Nite had ordered 20 episodes of original comedy Daddy's Home starring Scott Baio, now we have some more details! The upcoming sitcom has started production and taping began on July 13. A multi-camera, half-hour comedy for Nick at Nite, Daddy's Home follows David Hobbs (Baio) an actor who, after ten years of starring as America's favorite TV dad, becomes a stay-at-home father to honor the deal he made with his soap star wife so that she may return to the limelight. We have some casting news, too. Joining Baio will be veteran TV star Mark Curry (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper), in his return to TV. Other stars on the series include the rest of the Hobbs family: Alanna Ubach, Ryan Whitney Newman, Jackson Brundage, Bailey Michelle Brown and Ramy Youssef. Directing will be Andrew Weyman. Creators/executive producers are Tina Albanese and Patrick Labyorteaux. More executive producers are Scott Baio, Nat Bernstein, Mitchel Katlin, Eric Bischoff and Jason Hervey.
The sitcom comes from Bischoff-Hervey Entertainment and will premiere on Nick at Nite this Fall! Stay tuned for a premiere date and much more information as soon as we get it. The cable portion of the 2012 TCA summer press tour will be held Aug. 1-3, so we could have some more details by then on this sitcom. The series is being taped on stage 19 at Paramount Studios in Hollywood, CA. That is the same stage where Scott Baio taped Happy Days (Chachi!) in the '70s! Waa waa waa!
Last Thursday (July 19), 2.5 million total viewers cozied up to the bar for the series premiere of TBS's new sitcom Sullivan & Son. The series, starring popular comedian Steve Byrne, also nabbed 1.3 million viewers adults 18-49 (1.0 adults 18-49 rating) and 612,000 viewers adults 18-34. TBS followed the series premiere with a second episode, which averaged more than 2 million viewers, 1.0 million viewers adults 18-49 (0.8 adults 18-49 rating) and 456,000 viewers adults 18-34. In comparison, the TBS premiere of original sitcom Men at Work, which was renewed for a second season, opened similarly (but a tad higher) with 2.65 million total viewers for its premiere episode on May 24, along with 1.63 million viewers adults 18-49 (1.3 adults 18-49 rating) and 851,000 viewers adults 18-34. If Sullivan & Son remains steady in the ratings, it will likely be picked up for a second season as well. But it is still too early to tell.
TBS's Sullivan & Son stars Steve Byrne as a corporate attorney who finds new life behind the bar when he leaves his Manhattan lifestyle and moves to Pittsburgh to take over his parents' pub. Byrne is joined by a stellar ensemble cast that includes Dan Lauria, Jodi Long, Christine Ebersole, Owen Benjamin, Valerie Azlynn, Vivian Bang and Brian Doyle-Murray. Sullivan & Son is executive-produced by Vince Vaughn, Peter Billingsley and showrunner Rob Long. Created by Long and Byrne, Sullivan & Son comes to TBS from Wild West Picture Show Productions, in association with Warner Horizon Television. Sullivan & Son airs Thursdays at 10 p.m. (ET/PT) on TBS.
Stay tuned for updates from the TCA Summer 2012 Press Tour. First up will be Fox today, followed by two days of NBC on Tuesday and Wednesday. ABC will be up on Thursday and Friday (with their fall premiere dates still to be announced, likely will be on one of these days). The TCA Awards will be held on Saturday followed by CBS on Sunday. The CW will go next Monday leading into the cable portion on next Wed-Fri (Aug. 1-3). Stay with us for full coverage on all of this!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, September 24
Henry Danger - "Love Muffin" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man suddenly announces he's getting married, Henry and Charlotte go searching for answers only to discover that things are not as they seem.
Game Shakers - "Secret Level" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Hudson releases false information about a secret level in a Game Shakers' game, Game Shakers is besieged by angry, crazy fans. Babe uses the secret level to go on a date with Mason Kendal.
School of Rock - "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Summer's failed attempt to share a locker with Freddy sets off a chain reaction of locker-switching that puts the entire band out of sync. Guest Star: Brec Bassinger
Saturday, September 24
- Norm Macdonald (Norm) - Watch Norm on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Catch Mark on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Zach Galifianakis (Baskets) - Watch Zach on on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Rob Lowe (The Grinder/Parks and Recreation) - Rob appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Code Black on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kal Penn (We Are Men/How I Met Your Mother) - Kal is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Norm Macdonald (Norm) - Norm stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Margaret Cho (All-American Girl) - Margaret appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jaleel White (Family Matters/Grown Ups) - Jaleel is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Patton Oswalt (The Goldbergs/The King of Queens) - Patton visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Whoopi Goldberg (Whoopi/Bagdad Cafe) - Whoopi drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin performs live on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am. She also talks about her new album on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Sutton Foster (Younger) - Sutton talks about Younger on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- The Cast of Younger) - Sutton Foster, Debi Mazar, Hilary Duff, Nico Tortorella, Peter Hermann, Miriam Shor and Molly Bernard are guests on the AOL Build Show at 2:15pm.