Thursday, July 12, 2012
Classic Friday Nights on TV One With Jeffersons, Good Times, & More; FEARNet Acquires Real Ghostbusters, and More!
TV One is going back to the '70s and '80s on Friday nights in primetime starting this month! Last Friday (July 6), TV One aired a mixture of The Jeffersons and Good Times starting at 8pm and running through 2am. The rest of the month will feature these two classic CBS sitcoms as well! For the next two Fridays (July 13 and July 20), enjoy episodes of The Jeffersons in a block from 8pm-1am, with an hour of Good Times at 1am. On Friday, July 27, Good Times takes over the entire block starting at 8pm. In August, we have more shows being added to the mix! Friday, August 3 will have two Clifton Davis series airing, first up Amen from 8-11pm, followed by That's My Mama from 11pm-2am. More marathons will be announced in the coming weeks.
In other TV One news, there will be plenty of sitcom marathons/stunts, especially on Saturdays starting at 12 noon following the regular Saturday morning (6am-12pm) sitcom block. The Saturday marathon/stunts starting at 12 noon will feature sitcoms such as Martin, A Different World, Living Single, and Good Times. So make sure to check your listings to see these shows! Returning to the TV One line-up in August will be the short-lived sitcom Between Brothers, every Saturday from 10-11am in their Saturday morning block. Stay with us for further updates on TV One, as there are no new additions right now. Possibly this fall? We'll let you know on our annual cable fall schedule barrage starting very soon!
Saturday mornings are about to get more cooler and '80s style when everything was great! FEARnet, cable's premier destination for horror, suspense and thriller content, is adding a new two-hour weekend programming block starting Saturday, August 18. The morning segment, dubbed "Funhouse," features half-hour animated programs The Real Ghostbusters from the '80s and Tales from the Cryptkeeper from the '90s, as well as live-action suspense dramas Eerie, Indiana from the early '90s and Canadian export Dark Oracle which aired from 2004-06. The "Funhouse" block will be broadcast Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. ET and re-aired the next day, Sunday, in the same time period on the linear TV channel.
FEARnet's new "Funhouse" lineup marks the first time that the emerging cable network has broadcast both animated and live-action acquired series in a combined themed block of time. In fact, the block will highlight three all-time favorite television shows that haven't been nationally broadcast in over a decade. Dark Oracle currently airs on THIStv Sunday mornings at 9-10am ET. The line-up on both days has The Real Ghostbusters at 10am ET, followed by Tales from the Cryptkeeper at 10:30am, Eerie Indiana at 11am and Dark Oracle at 11:30am. The Real Ghostbusters was last seen on the former Fox Family Channel (now known as ABC Family) in 1999, so has been a long time since it has aired on television. I ain't afraid of no ghost!
FEARNet does have an original sitcom titled Holliston and it wrapped up its first season this past spring with six half-hour episodes. The Adam Green comedy was renewed for a second season and will return in summer 2013. FEARnet's first original scripted television series, is a riotous and offbeat multi-camera, buddy comedy starring Adam Green and Joe Lynch. Set in the town of Holliston (near Boston), the series shines a light on the post-college life where everything is a struggle, and nothing works out like it's supposed to. With terrifyingly funny results, Adam and Joe struggle to become big-time horror filmmakers while hosting late night scary movies at the local cable station, and Adam embarrasses himself as he tries to win back his high school girlfriend. Think of Holliston as Big Bang Theory meets Evil Dead 2. The ensemble cast features Laura Ortiz, Corri English (Worst Audition Ever, lead singer of Brokedown Cadillac), Dee Snider and Oderus Urungus.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, October 25
The Middle - "Halloween VIII: The Heckoning" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Halloween approaches, Frankie is taken aback when she discovers that, if the circumstances ever arose where she and Mike got divorced, the kids would all choose to live with Mike. Meanwhile, Sue tries everything in her power to get her room back from Brick, and having to be so nice around girlfriend April all of the time leads Axl to lash out at his family.
American Housewife - "Westport Zombies" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie, jealous of Taylor’s friendship with neighbor Viv (Leslie Bibb), reluctantly competes in the Westport Halloween “Zombie Run” after she finds out they’ll both be running. Meanwhile, Greg and Anna-Kat get a little too much in character for the “zombie” part of the run’s obstacle course.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Louisween" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Louis’ favorite holiday, and he makes every attempt to scare Jessica into the Halloween spirit, but she is buried in her word processor, drafting her first horror novel. Meanwhile, Emery and Evan debate costume choices, and Eddie and his crew are excited to party with high schoolers at Nicole’s house.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Halloween" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Halloween arrives, or what Kenny refers to as “the gay Super Bowl,” he plans to go to Boystown to watch the festive costume parade. In an effort to prevent Kenny from attending, Eileen agrees to let him throw his own Halloween party at home. Eileen’s tolerance is ultimately tested when Kenny recruits Stuart and his gay friends to join the big party, and he makes a BIG costume change. Meanwhile, Jimmy and Shannon plan to pull off an epic Halloween prank.
Atlanta - "Junteenth" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Why my Auntie trying to make me go to one of these bougie Junteenth parties again? I don't like them sadity people and I'm gonna miss my shows. Le sigh.
Family Time - "Head of House" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When the Stallworths have an unexpected visitor, they learn of a vicious crime that took place in their home years ago.
Tuesday, October 25
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Catch Will on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Skylar Astin (Ground Floor) - Skylar is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub (How to Be a Gentleman/Veronica's Closet/The Larry Sanders Show) and David Koechner (Another Period/Hank/The Office) - Mary and David are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Scream Queens/Anything But Love) - Jamie Lee is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn plays a celeb guessing game with Rach, who’s serving up no-fail make-your-own takeout, on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. She will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Cheryl Hines (Son of Zorn/Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) - Abbi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She will also be on the AOL Build Show 4pm.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Don is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.