Saturday, June 02, 2012
Digital Digest: '70s Sitcom Alice Coming to DVD From Warner Archive?; The River - The Complete First Season DVD Review
"Things are looking good for ALICE. Stay tuned!"That wording is very interesting, and seems to suggest that something may finally materialize on DVD (at least a MOD offering) from Warner Archive! The message is a bit different from what Warner Archive has stated in the past, including indicating that they'd like to do it, but there are source material issues. Given that this is our first real indication of a glimmer of hope, I wouldn't expect the series to appear anytime very soon, but it sounds like we've at least got something hopeful on the radar.
UPDATE: Just minutes before today's Digital Digest, an even bigger (and more definite) clue to a potential release of Alice on DVD was posted on Warner Archive's Facebook page. This "packaged mystery" clue was posted on Thursday to give a hint of something coming soon from Warner Archive, and Warner Archive has been steadily giving away some hints as to what it could be, to which one poster responded with Alice, and Warner Archive gave this response to that person:
"Speaking of good guesses...!"We'll keep you updated on what seems to be an indication that we will be seeing this classic series on DVD soon!
We've still got a little over a month until CBS Home Entertainment's July 3 release of The Streets of San Francisco - Season 3 (Volume 1/Volume 2), but you won't have to wait much longer for the fourth season. In fact, The Streets of San Francisco - Season 4 (Volume 1/Volume 2) will be coming on August 28! The sets aren't available to pre-order yet, but most likely, they will be very soon. That will leave only the fifth season to be released, and as of right now, there is no scheduled release for that... but given this release schedule, I would expect it to follow soon enough.
That isn't the only August release from CBS, though. On August 21, CBS has Perry Mason - Season 7, Volume 1. For those doing the math, that will be the "lucky 13th" release of the series, leaving only five more releases of the series to get it to completion. It doesn't appear that CBS intends to release more than one volume of this series on the same day (as they have started doing with other series), but at least it is getting out, slowly but surely.
We mentioned a few weeks ago that Sony's MOD offering of Charlie's Angels - The Complete Series (not the original classic series, but the 2011 series which became one of the biggest flops of the past season) was coming to DVD, and now there is a date... and it is very soon. In fact, it'll be shipping starting on June 5, which is this coming Tuesday.
Finally, there is some addition to Hulu this week which we find worth mentioning, with the newly added Garfield and Friends! It isn't the entire series, but 30 of the first 31 episodes are now available to stream for free on the website (the final episode of the first season is missing as of right now). This is definitely worth checking out, as the DVDs of the series are now out-of-print and cannot be easily found.
David and Maddie is one of the best websites out there for the series, full of content which goes well beyond just the mere basics of the series. Among the content, you'll find a very thorough episode guide with all of the details and analysis for each and every episode of the series, an expansive gallery of publicity photos and magazine cover photos, information about the DVDs and reviews of the DVDs (yes, our own reviews are included!), interviews, and even a discussion about the 3D episode of the series which was planned... but scrapped due to (you guessed it) production problems and a writer's strike. So this week, you'll want to "moonlight" with David and Maddie, our Click of the Week.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 21
Last Man Standing - "Trick or Treat" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Halloween and the Baxter family is excited for their annual party, except for Mike who’s reluctantly tasked with choosing the theme. In hopes of turning everyone against the holiday, Mike decides that maybe if the whole family has to dress up like each other they’ll end up making fun of one another. Eve dresses up like Mandy and Mandy dresses down like Eve, Kristin and Ryan swap roles, and Mike shows up to the party as… Donald Trump!? The impersonating turns into bickering but in the end, the Baxters come together to support Vanessa as she learns that she’s being laid off.
Dr. Ken - "D.K.'s Korean Ghost Story" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Halloween, Allison is disappointed the holiday doesn’t seem to scare Dave anymore, meaning her little boy is growing up, perhaps too fast. But that might change after D.K. tells a scary Korean gwishin (ghost) story. The Park family, as well as the gang at Welltopia, bring the story to life playing the various gwishins.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Jack" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus deals with the loss of one of his former teammates.
Friday, October 21
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah talks about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1:15pm.
- Lindsay Sloane (The Odd Couple/The Stones/Mr. Rhodes) - Lindsay visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Tom and Ron will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about King Cobra on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Grey (Red Oaks/It's Like, You Know...) - Jennifer joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Thomas and Jason are guests on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Red Oaks/Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.