Monday, June 25, 2012
Antenna TV's 4th of July Gidget Marathon; Nick at Nite Adds All That, Kenan & Kel, Drops Brady Bunch
Celebrate the 4th of July with Gidget as she celebrates Independence Day with life, liberty and the pursuit of boys. Antenna TV, which airs on 65 affiliates across the U.S. reaching 60% of TV households, will air a "Gidget Independence Day" marathon beginning at 7am ET on Wednesday, July 4, 2012 and running through 7am ET on Thursday, July 5. The 24-hour marathon will feature all 32 episodes from the 1965-66 series starring Sally Field from 11am-3am ET, as well as feature films, Gidget Goes Hawaiian (1961) at 7am & 3am ET and Gidget Goes to Rome (1963) at 9am & 5am ET. The films do not star Sally Field, as the Hawaiian one stars Deborah Walley and the Rome one stars Cindy Carol. Both films were sequels to the original 1959 film starring Sandra Dee. All three films were before the TV series. After the TV series ended, there were two ABC TV movies - Gidget Grows Up (1969) and Gidget Gets Married (1972) - and a new syndicated series - The New Gidget (1985), which was spun-off of the TV movie Gidget's Summer Reunion (1985) - but Antenna TV will not be airing any of those.
The 1965-66 series only lasted one season on ABC but it has still popped-up in syndication, often paired with Sally Field's other comedy, The Flying Nun. In fact Antenna TV airs both series every Saturday afternoons from 1-3pm ET.
In a last minute schedule change, Nick at Nite has added All That and Kenan & Kel to its line-up beginning tonight. The two classic '90s Nickelodeon comedies will air in the 8pm hour to try and give a better lead-in to Nick at Nite's new original telenovela Hollywood Heights, which airs weeknights at 9pm. The original series has struggled in the ratings thus far and Nick at Nite is trying to give it a more compatible lead-in than Friends, which was airing in the 8pm hour. Friends was airing 8-9pm and 11pm-12am, but now it will air in a two-hour block from 11pm-1am. This means George Lopez is out of the midnight hour and only air approx. 4am & 4:30am. Yes, Dear remains in the 10pm hour out of Hollywood Heights. Also of note, Nick at Nite will remove the '70s classic sitcom The Brady Bunch effective tonight after a month of airing and replace it with The Nanny, which returns to weeknights on Nick at Nite during the 5am hour.
Stay tuned for further updates, as I just don't see George Lopez being out of primetime for long.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, January 23
Kevin Can Wait - "Choke Doubt" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Kevin brags about saving a man from choking after hearing how much attention his brother Kyle is receiving for saving a cat. Adam Ferrara guest stars as Bill, a man Kevin saves from choking, and “The Insider” correspondent Michael Yo guest stars as Tom, a morning show anchor who interviews Kyle.
Man with a Plan - "The Talk" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Adam and Andi have the dreaded “talk” with Teddy and Kate, their awkward approach makes the kids horribly uncomfortable.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Emergency Contractor" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Max and Caroline get home from their road trip, Caroline discovers she likes the dessert bar renovations as much as she likes Bobby (Christopher Gorham), the contractor on the job. Also, Max rushes to Randy’s side when she hears he’s in the hospital in New York City, and Sophie joins a mommy group that cares more about partying than baby talk.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Conjugal Conjecture" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After Sheldon’s mother and Leonard's father share an evening together, everyone deals with an awkward morning the next day. Also, Penny’s family arrives for the wedding ceremony, including her anxiety-ridden mother, Susan (Katey Sagal), and her drug dealing brother, Randall (Jack McBrayer). Dean Norris guest stars as Colonel Williams, an Air Force Representative from the Department of Materiel Command. Christine Baranski, Laurie Metcalf, Judd Hirsch and Keith Carradine return.
Monday, January 23
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT, on Access Hollywood Live (check your local listings) and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Free Agents) - Kathryn will be on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.