Monday, June 25, 2012
Antenna TV's 4th of July Gidget Marathon; Nick at Nite Adds All That, Kenan & Kel, Drops Brady Bunch
Celebrate the 4th of July with Gidget as she celebrates Independence Day with life, liberty and the pursuit of boys. Antenna TV, which airs on 65 affiliates across the U.S. reaching 60% of TV households, will air a "Gidget Independence Day" marathon beginning at 7am ET on Wednesday, July 4, 2012 and running through 7am ET on Thursday, July 5. The 24-hour marathon will feature all 32 episodes from the 1965-66 series starring Sally Field from 11am-3am ET, as well as feature films, Gidget Goes Hawaiian (1961) at 7am & 3am ET and Gidget Goes to Rome (1963) at 9am & 5am ET. The films do not star Sally Field, as the Hawaiian one stars Deborah Walley and the Rome one stars Cindy Carol. Both films were sequels to the original 1959 film starring Sandra Dee. All three films were before the TV series. After the TV series ended, there were two ABC TV movies - Gidget Grows Up (1969) and Gidget Gets Married (1972) - and a new syndicated series - The New Gidget (1985), which was spun-off of the TV movie Gidget's Summer Reunion (1985) - but Antenna TV will not be airing any of those.
The 1965-66 series only lasted one season on ABC but it has still popped-up in syndication, often paired with Sally Field's other comedy, The Flying Nun. In fact Antenna TV airs both series every Saturday afternoons from 1-3pm ET.
In a last minute schedule change, Nick at Nite has added All That and Kenan & Kel to its line-up beginning tonight. The two classic '90s Nickelodeon comedies will air in the 8pm hour to try and give a better lead-in to Nick at Nite's new original telenovela Hollywood Heights, which airs weeknights at 9pm. The original series has struggled in the ratings thus far and Nick at Nite is trying to give it a more compatible lead-in than Friends, which was airing in the 8pm hour. Friends was airing 8-9pm and 11pm-12am, but now it will air in a two-hour block from 11pm-1am. This means George Lopez is out of the midnight hour and only air approx. 4am & 4:30am. Yes, Dear remains in the 10pm hour out of Hollywood Heights. Also of note, Nick at Nite will remove the '70s classic sitcom The Brady Bunch effective tonight after a month of airing and replace it with The Nanny, which returns to weeknights on Nick at Nite during the 5am hour.
Stay tuned for further updates, as I just don't see George Lopez being out of primetime for long.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, February 24
Last Man Standing - "Take Me to Church" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Mike and Vanessa become increasingly worried their daughters don’t attend church anymore, so they decide to take it upon themselves to make church more interesting for everyone involved. When Ryan has Kyle as his guest on his podcast, they don’t expect their wives to hear their conversation.
Dr. Ken - "Allison Finds a Lump" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
During a self-exam, Allison finds a suspicious lump in her breast, causing Ken and the HMO gang to rally around her for support while she anxiously waits for the doctor’s diagnosis. Meanwhile, Dave has questions for how he will portray the character he’s playing in the school play, and Pat and Damona share an unexpected moment.
Stuck in the Middle - "Stuck in a Slushy War" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
A slushy war breaks out when Harley's Slushy Shack faces new competition.
Friday, February 24
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family/Charlie Lawrence/Encore! Encore!) - Watch Nathan on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Zosia Mamet (Girls) - Zosia is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne) - Johnny is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Malin Akerman (Trophy Wife/Sin City Saints) - Malin stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Hayley Orrantia (The Goldbergs) - Hayley gives a musical performance on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife) - Bradley joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Craig Robinson (The Office/Mr. Robinson) - Craig is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kenan Thompson (Kenan & Kel) - Kenan appears on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.