Wednesday, April 04, 2012
10th TV Land Awards Adds Tribute To In Living Color; Fox Burns Off I Hate My Teenage Daughter In June
TV Land announced that the cast of the trailblazing Fox series In Living Color – Keenen Ivory Wayans, Jim Carrey, David Alan Grier, Shawn Wayans, Marlon Wayans, Tommy Davidson, Kelly Coffield Park, Kim Wayans and T'Keyah Crystal Keymah – will be honored with the Groundbreaking Award at the TV Land Awards 10th Anniversary celebration, taping Saturday, April 14 at the Lexington Avenue Armory at Gramercy Park in New York City. Additional cast members are expected to join. Previously announced honorees include Laverne & Shirley, One Day at a Time, Pee-wee's Playhouse and Aretha Franklin. The TV Land Awards 10th Anniversary will air on Sunday, April 29 at 9pm ET/PT.
The Emmy® Award-winning series In Living Color, which aired from 1990 to 1994, was written by, created by and starred Keenen Ivory Wayans, and also featured Jim Carrey, Tommy Davidson, Shawn Wayans, Marlon Wayans, Kelly Coffield Park, Kim Wayans, T'Keyah Crystal Keymah and David Alan Grier. Receiving the aptly-named Groundbreaking Award at this year's TV Land Awards ceremony, the sketch comedy series was the first of its kind to break down barriers and feature a predominantly African-American cast. As the theme song suggested, the show where "you could do what you want to do" was full of unbridled creative energy, resulting in edgy and hilarious characters like Homey D. Clown, Fire Marshall Bill, Wanda, and Vera De Milo. The show coined as the first diverse hip-hop comedy, dance-sketch series on television by Entertainment Weekly also featured some of the greatest R&B and Hip-Hop musical artists of the 90s who frequently performed on the In Living Color stage. The series also starred gifted comedians Damon Wayans and Jamie Foxx.
The TV Land Awards pays tribute to classic and contemporary luminaries of television, music and movies. The 90-minute telecast hosted by Kelly Ripa will feature exhilarating musical performances and will reunite some of the most iconic celebrity TV casts.
Fox has announced it plans on airing the remaining episodes of new sitcom I Hate My Teenage Daughter, which was pulled recently on Tuesday nights. The sitcom has six episodes left out of its thirteen episode order. Fox will air them on Sunday nights from 7-8pm this June for three weeks on June 3, 10 and 17. Animation will return on June 24 with repeats of American Dad and Cleveland Show set to air in the 7pm hour. Fox also said they will air repeats of I Hate My Teenage Daughter on its Saturday night late night block starting June 2. The sitcom will air repeats on Saturday nights at 12am, replacing repeats of New Girl. Repeats of The Finder will remain at 11pm on Saturday nights, which will start May 5.
One more Fox note, they will reair the Fox 25th Anniversary Special on Sunday, June 24 from 8-10pm if you miss it later this month (April 22) when it premieres.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 21
Last Man Standing - "Trick or Treat" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Halloween and the Baxter family is excited for their annual party, except for Mike who’s reluctantly tasked with choosing the theme. In hopes of turning everyone against the holiday, Mike decides that maybe if the whole family has to dress up like each other they’ll end up making fun of one another. Eve dresses up like Mandy and Mandy dresses down like Eve, Kristin and Ryan swap roles, and Mike shows up to the party as… Donald Trump!? The impersonating turns into bickering but in the end, the Baxters come together to support Vanessa as she learns that she’s being laid off.
Dr. Ken - "D.K.'s Korean Ghost Story" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Halloween, Allison is disappointed the holiday doesn’t seem to scare Dave anymore, meaning her little boy is growing up, perhaps too fast. But that might change after D.K. tells a scary Korean gwishin (ghost) story. The Park family, as well as the gang at Welltopia, bring the story to life playing the various gwishins.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Jack" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus deals with the loss of one of his former teammates.
Friday, October 21
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah talks about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1:15pm.
- Lindsay Sloane (The Odd Couple/The Stones/Mr. Rhodes) - Lindsay visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Tom and Ron will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about King Cobra on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Grey (Red Oaks/It's Like, You Know...) - Jennifer joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Thomas and Jason are guests on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Red Oaks/Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.