Friday, March 23, 2012
10 days ago we told you about TBS scheduling their original sitcom Men at Work for Thursdays at 10pm starting May 24, but now they have announced a premiere date for their second original sitcom! Thursdays are about to get funnier than ever. In addition to buddy comedy Men at Work, starring Danny Masterson, TBS's new workplace comedy Sullivan & Son, starring popular comedian Steve Byrne, will take over the same timeslot when it premieres Thursday, July 19, at 10 pm (ET/PT). The announcement comes just as TBS claims an important victory as basic cable's #1 network with adults 18-34 and adults 18-49 in primetime.
Sullivan & Son, which is executive-produced by Vince Vaughn, Peter Billingsley and show-runner Rob Long (Cheers), takes place in a popular bar in a working-class Pittsburgh neighborhood. Filled with locals and regulars, the establishment known as Sullivan & Son serves as the unofficial "town hall" for the neighborhood. As the series opens, Steve Sullivan (Byrne) is a successful corporate attorney from New York who brings his girlfriend, Ashley (guest star Brooke Lyons) for a visit just as his Irish-American father, Jack Sullivan (Dan Lauria - The Wonder Years), and Korean mother, Ok Cha (Jodi Long), are preparing to sell the bar and retire. Upon arrival, Steve reconnects with his best friend, Owen (Owen Benjamin); gets accosted by his long-suffering, under-appreciated younger sister, Susan (Vivian Bang); endures offensive comments from gruff barfly Hank (Brian Doyle Murray - Groundhog Day, Saturday Night Live); and gets hit on by tipsy cougar Carol (Christine Ebersole - Royal Pains, Amadeus). He even feels a rekindled romantic spark with his former sweetheart, Melanie (Valerie Azlynn). It doesn't take Steve long to realize that what he really wants out of life is to return to the old neighborhood and take over Sullivan & Son, even if it means giving up a lavish Manhattan lifestyle with the gorgeous Ashley. And so begins Steve's quest for a more meaningful and rewarding life behind the bar. Sullivan & Son is from Wild West Picture Show Productions, in association with Warner Horizon Television.
Both sitcoms each have a ten episode order. Stay tuned for any further updates. In addition, TBS, which has basked in the glory of nerd-dom with the enormously popular acquired sitcom The Big Bang Theory, is now ready to take things to the next level. TBS has greenlit the new unscripted competition series King of the Nerds, hosted by two of the stars of the movie blockbuster Revenge of the Nerds, Robert Carradine and Curtis Armstrong. TBS has ordered eight episodes of King of the Nerds, which is being executive-produced by Ben Silverman and Jimmy Fox of Electus, Rick Ringbakk, Tod Mesirow and Craig Armstrong of 5X5 Media, as well as Carradine and Armstrong. The show is slated to premiere in early 2013. Electus International, the global distribution arm of Electus, will distribute the series internationally. It is primed to become television's ultimate nerd-off. The show invites competitors spanning the full nerd spectrum to come together to face challenges that will test their intellect, ingenuity, skills and pop-culture prowess. The nerds will first compete as teams before moving on to individual challenges, all with the goal of being named the quintessential master of all things nerdy.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of March 26-30, 2012, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, March 26, 2012
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Watch the adorkable Zooey on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Robin Williams (Mork & Mindy) - Robin appears on a repeat of the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Casey Wilson (Happy Endings) - Casey drops by Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC. She will also be on earlier on Watch What Happens: Live on Bravo at 11pm.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody chats with the ladies on a repeat of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly on Monday and Tuesday, so check your listings.
- Jennifer Anniston (Friends) - Tune in to see Jennifer on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Tiffani Thiessen (Saved by the Bell) - Tiffani appears on a repeat of The Nate Berkus Show, so check your local listings.
- Ashton Kutcher (Two and a Half Men/That '70s Show) - Catch Ashton on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Eric McCormack (Will & Grace) - Eric chats with the ladies on a repeat of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Annie Potts (Designing Women) - Annie appears on a repeat of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. Watch her on GCB on ABC on Sunday nights at 10pm ET-PT.
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/The Nanny) - Fran stops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:36am on NBC.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian drops by The Rachael Ray Show, so check your local listings.
- Rainn Wilson (The Office) - Watch Rainn on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Aziz Ansari (Parks and Recreation) - Aziz is a guest on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (Suburgatory) - Ana stops by Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mackenzie Phillips (One Day at a Time) - Mackenzie appears on The Rosie Show at 7pm on OWN.
- Niecy Nash (The Cleveland Show/Reno 911!) - Niecy drops by to chat about her new reality show, Leave It to Niecy, her recent marriage, and her predictions for this season's DWTS on Anderson, so check your local listings.
- J.B. Smoove (Bent/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - J.B. discusses his new show Bent on The Wendy Williams Show, so check your local listings.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Catch Lisa on a repeat of the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kristen Schaal (Bob's Burgers/Flight of the Conchords) - Kristen visits Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family/The Class) - Jesse guest co-hosts a repeat of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Niecy Nash (The Cleveland Show/Reno 911!) - Niecy continues to make the rounds on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/The Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Sofia is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Kristen Johnston (The Exes/3rd Rock From the Sun) - Kristen discusses her harrowing addiction to prescription pills and alcohol, her rehab and recovery -- which she details in her new memoir, Guts, on Anderson, so check your local listings.
- Megan Mullally (Breaking In/Will & Grace) - Watch Megan on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Sean Hayes (Will & Grace) - Sean appears on a repeat of the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Tune in to see Jennifer on a repeat of Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Reba McEntire (Reba) - Reba drops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Annie Potts (Designing Women) - Annie sits down with Tim to discuss her new ABC series, GCB, then joins Ty for a segment on common household items that do unexpected things on ABC's The Revolution at 2pm ET/1pm PT/CT.
- Tom Cavanagh (Ed) - Tom joins the Chew Crew on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 23
Downward Dog - "Boundaries" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Nan installs an automatic dog door so she can take away Jason’s key but still keep him as Martin’s dog walker, Martin is convinced he can suddenly open doors with his mind, and the new-found power goes to his head. Meanwhile at work, Nan’s boss is unable to understand the new ad campaign Nan sold to the corporate bosses, and he spirals into confusion.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Bank Job" / "Crime & Punishment" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Jake and Rosa continue their search for a bank-robbing operation with Lieutenant Hawkins (guest star Gina Gershon), they realize there’s more to her team than meets the eye. After discovering a dangerous secret, they call for back-up from Holt and Pimento (guest star Jason Mantzoukas). Meanwhile, Boyle objects to Gina’s new boyfriend (guest star Ryan Phillipe). Then, Jake and Rosa are framed for a crime they didn’t commit, it’s up to the Nine-Nine to find a way to bust them out.
Great News - "Carol Has a Bully" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Carol (Andrea Martin) has a midterm she must pass in order to keep her internship. Katie (Briga Heelan) needs to choose between helping her mom and focusing on her hacking story, which she can't seem to crack. Meanwhile, Greg's (Adam Campbell) wealthy estranged grandmother (guest star Christina Pickles) pays a visit to the office. Chuck (John Michael Higgins) finds her cold and cruel, but almost immediately falls in love with her.
Great News - "Carol's Eleven" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) makes a huge discovery about the story she's been chasing and, with the help of Carol (Andrea Martin) and the rest of the staff, concocts a scheme to get the story out. Greg (Adam Campbell) struggles with balancing his conflicting loyalties to his family, co-workers and conscience.
Mann & Wife - "Mann, Shut Yo Mouth" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Struggling to solve a tough case, an exhausted Daniel falls asleep and wakes up in a 70's blaxploitation cop show.
Tuesday, May 23
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Catch Terry on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Rob Huebel (Trasparent/Burning Love) - Rob appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to The Captain/Gary Unmarried), Andrew Santino (I'm Dying Up Here/Sin City Saints) and Erik Griffin (I'm Dying Up Here) - Al, Andrew and Erik are guests on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ari Graynor (I'm Dying Up Here/Bad Teacher) - Ari stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ben Falcone (Nobodies/A to Z/Joey) - Ben drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Abigail Breslin (Scream Queens) - Abigail appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Ryan, so check your listings.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim talks about her new book Girling Up: How to Be Strong, Smart and Spectacular and The Big Bang Theory on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- William Shatner ($#*! My Dad Says) - William is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle teams up with Clinton Kelly to grill up a great entrée on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nicole Byer ( Loosely Exactly Nicole) - Nicole is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- The Love Boat Cast - The cast of The Love Boat reunites on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Debra chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie talks about Beat Shazam on AOL Build Show 4pm.